Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's still fun though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

First off, you'll want to organize by location, not by meal. If you're at one park, you almost certainly don't want to move to a different park just to eat. Resort meals are a little different, since you're unlikely to find yourself there naturally, but don't (for example) leave Epcot to eat at MK, planning to go to not-MK afterwards. Double so for breakfast, where you'd be missing out on the best times to actually tour the parks. Remember that to some degree, time is an important currency for your vacation. Buses/driving/security checks take up time.

Random things that I noticed were missing. The Wave at the Contemporary is an excellent meal, but it's not Disney at all. Just good food in a somewhat upscale setting. This is either an upside or a downside, depending on how sick you are of the Mouse everywhere. At MK, Skipper Canteen is maybe the best table service restaurant at a park with a lack of them, and Columbia Harbor House is another good option for a quick service meal.

Regarding the Fantasmic Dining package, each of the restaurants is very different. The Brown Derby is "signature dining" so it'll be pricier. Certainly the best, though. Mama Melrose's is fairly generic italian, and Hollywood & Vine is generic Disney buffet that may or may not have characters when you're planning to go. If money's no object, The Brown Derby is the easy choice. We didn't do any of those, though, so I'm going off of the internet's collected knowledge.

Epcot is home to Akershaus, which is a decent way to get the princess dining experience without the extraordinary headache and cost of trying to book Royal Table. You're not eating in the castle, though. YMMV. Biergarten is also awesome. Be sure to look up when the oom pah band is playing and get there maybe a half hour ahead of time. Enough time to get seated, order a liter of beer, and get a first plate before they start up.

Unless something changed, Harambe Market is a good place for a quick service meal at AK. There's usually a guy playing a kora wandering around, and Harambe in general is one of the best themed spaces on property. Slowing down and eating there is highly recommended.

In terms of "book this now" reservations, I know that Chef Mickey's frequently fills up. I think Ohana may as well?

I think that's all that hasn't been specifically noted by someone else. Here's the post I made right after our trip, talking about what we did and what I thought. Some restaurants, some touring stuff.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 19, 2018

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I was going to give my love for the Skipper Canteen as well, it’s so not your boring theme park food in a sea of mediocre table service locations in the magic kingdom.

Tusker House is probably the only character dining that I’ve tried where I actually enjoy the food almost as much as the characters. My girlfriend hasn’t done much at Disney so we’ve been doing one table service a month. This week is Olivia’s... they can’t all be winners.

I can’t think of a time anyone has ever been gung ho for mama Melrose. I always wrote it off as another Tony’s town square theater.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tusker House is awesome for breakfast. Was less impressed by lunch/dinner. I heavily prefer Boma for that kind of cuisine even though it's not a character breakfast.

Skipper Canteen rules.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you don't care about characters and want a buffet, do Boma. It's even got stranger African stuff like bobotie.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Boma and it's classier neighbor Jiko are some of the best eating on property.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

couldcareless posted:

Boma and it's classier neighbor Jiko are some of the best eating on property.

I could spend all day at Boma just wrecking plate after plate

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Does Boma still do that peanut rice? poo poo was ridiculous

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Zebra Domes are heaven. And pro-tip: they sell them in the AKL gift shop in the drink cooler.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The Bon Voyage breakfast with Flynn, Rapunzel, Ariel, and Eric at Trattoria al Forno has very good food, which I was very surprised to find because I went expecting the usual piles of eggs, bacon, hash browns, waffles, etc.

So if you want a character breakfast with good food there is that one.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Alrighty, so I'm headed back to Orlando in mid May, and while I'm mainly going for universal, I'm going to be out there for 6 days, and am thoroughly considering hitting one of the Disney parks one of those days. I've been to all of their parks, but it's been a few years. If you had a day to kill and could really only afford one park, which would you choose, and why?

Things I'm definitely doing:
Universal since I have an ap
A light bite at morimotos
Tiki drinks at trader Sam's
????????

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriends mom bought a camper so we can finally stay at Ft Wilderness which is something I always wanted to do :3. Any pro tips?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

My girlfriends mom bought a camper so we can finally stay at Ft Wilderness which is something I always wanted to do :3. Any pro tips?

I'm copying and pasting myself from earlier in the thread. Fort Wilderness is a ton of fun, especially if you get a good loop.

Chainclaw posted:

My parents had an RV when I was a kid, and we did the Disney World trip nearly every summer. You want a good loop. Bay Tree Lane is the best location. Palmetto Path and Whispiring Pine Way are pretty good. They are all close to the boat launch to Magic Kingdom, the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, the trading post, and the Trail's End restaurant. The campground is huge, and it can be a long walk to the front or the back of the campground, or you'll be waiting some time at the in-campground bus stops.

It's about 1.25 miles as the crow flies (probably add another half mile because the trails aren't direct) from those loops to the Transportation and Ticket Center if you're up for a walk, and the Wilderness Lodge is about halfway between the two. That's about the same distance from the back of the campground to the front, which is why getting a good loop can really improve the experience.

Walk around the campground, if you have time, just to see all the RVs there. You'll see some million dollar plus RVs that you don't see many other places.

If you're at Magic Kingdom late, and the boats back to the campground are really crowded, you can walk or take the monorail to the Contemporary, and take the boat back from there.

The Fort Wilderness Marina also has boat rentals available. If you're like me and do the parks in the morning and evening to avoid crowds, the boats can be fun to rent mid-day while you're waiting out the crowds. The beach there I remember being mostly grody and not super pleasant to hang out on, it is swampland.

Before River Country and Discovery Island closed, it was especially great to stay at the campground. It's too bad they're shut down now.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Has anybody done Trattoria for lunch or dinner? I did Bon Voyage breakfast and it owned. I ordered the King Trident dish not realizing it was a giant loving calzone swimming in marinara sauce at 10am.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Old Man Pants posted:

Alrighty, so I'm headed back to Orlando in mid May, and while I'm mainly going for universal, I'm going to be out there for 6 days, and am thoroughly considering hitting one of the Disney parks one of those days. I've been to all of their parks, but it's been a few years. If you had a day to kill and could really only afford one park, which would you choose, and why?

Things I'm definitely doing:
Universal since I have an ap
A light bite at morimotos
Tiki drinks at trader Sam's
????????

Might as well just so MK that way you can easily transition to Trader Sam's

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Are there any decent QS places at HS? I always try to plan carefully so I can avoid being at HS at lunch or dinner time. I try to avoid MK during meals as well, but at least there are a few decent QS options there.

Epcot and AK are of course clear food winners.

I can't get over how good Satuli is

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Chiming in on the dining for a bit: I'd like to second Tusker House as an excellent option for breakfast. The characters were great fun with our group of 6 adults, the food was a nice mixture of new and familiar tastes, and depending on how your plans are you can try for a pre-opening reservation and as beautiful as I think AK is, it's especially lovely to take in everything without the crowds.

Also on AK lines, I liked Jiko enough my first trip to convince my band of friends to go there for dinner. One of them joined me for the Sanaa Cultural Tour the next day and we stuck around for dinner afterwards, and she greatly preferred Sanaa. (She did clarify it wasn't to say Jiko was bad, but the Sanaa atmosphere and food were more to her taste?) I liked them both on separate merits, but if you're looking to do Sanaa for the animal views while eating, I'd definitely make a reservation because we were there at 4:30-5:00PM on a Friday for that tour and even immediately afterwards we were told the tables by the window were all booked.

With regards to Fantasmic! dining package reservation availability, when I started planning my early February trip back in last August, there was nothing available for the Rivers of Light dining package either. I ended up just booking a table for four at the time I wanted first, and checked back constantly; reservations started opening up around late November/early December, I want to say? And I didn't actually get the exact party size/time slot I wanted until three days before the reservation date, when I'd already started my vacation and was running around MK, idly checking the site/app while waiting in line for a ride.

What I'm saying is, just keep checking, you're probably still too early for Fantasmic! right now and even if you miss the exact instant things open, something will probably open up later.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Are there any decent QS places at HS? I always try to plan carefully so I can avoid being at HS at lunch or dinner time. I try to avoid MK during meals as well, but at least there are a few decent QS options there.

I'm gonna say no. ABC Commissary is passable, and probably the best QS they have right now. It's just not great though. I know they have a few little food truck-esque things over by ToT but I've never tried them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

HS is a desert of food with the sole exception for me being 50's PTC and that is far from being a QS.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

HS is a desert of food with the sole exception for me being 50's PTC and that is far from being a QS.

Isn’t there a to go milkshake bar at 50’s PTC? Maybe that could substitute for a meal.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Dren posted:

Isn’t there a to go milkshake bar at 50’s PTC? Maybe that could substitute for a meal.

Only at Disney!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pretty sure you can sit at the bar and order the full menu without reservation. You don't get the awesome experience of being harassed by the servers though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Pretty sure you can sit at the bar and order the full menu without reservation. You don't get the awesome experience of being harassed by the servers though.

I think that's the official word but I think the working word is dependent on how busy the kitchen is. When we were there earlier this month (last month?) the kitchen was slammed and it was a very limited menu.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Braksgirl posted:

I'm gonna say no. ABC Commissary is passable, and probably the best QS they have right now. It's just not great though. I know they have a few little food truck-esque things over by ToT but I've never tried them.

I think I prefer Backlot to ABC because even though it's just burgers and chicken you can at least get free drink refills.

Until Star Wars opens HS is a half day park at best. You can easily plan to spend a couple hours taking the boat to Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach and getting lunch and or dinner there.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

couldcareless posted:

Yes indeed. This is also true at Kona Cafe. Just walk up to the Kona Isle coffee bar and grab a spot, and you can order off the menu. No awesome Sweet Bread tho

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Braksgirl posted:

I'm gonna say no. ABC Commissary is passable, and probably the best QS they have right now. It's just not great though.

Their Happy Daze drink is very tasty, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want something to be mad about with PotC changes; they removed the awesome mermaid skeleton at the beginning :argh:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I hope they don't remove the painting from the DL version.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2018

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

If you want something to be mad about with PotC changes; they removed the awesome mermaid skeleton at the beginning :argh:

Did they at least replace it with some sort of reference to the recent movie?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I hope they don't remove the painting from the DL version.

Why did you edit out the painting?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Did they at least replace it with some sort of reference to the recent movie?

Looks like its just gone based on the short clip I saw on instagram.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bottom Liner posted:

What the gently caress

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
NOT COOL

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The skeleton and treasure at the beginning was a mermaid? How on earth did I miss that?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So what’s with the newly announced Marvel stuff in Disneyland? I thought Universal had rights to Avengers/F4/Spider-Man/X-Men stuff for theme parks? Or is that only in Florida?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
East of the Mississippi belongs to Universal

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I’m glad I’m going to Disneyland next month so I can give The Chew Chew train a proper send off.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RCarr posted:

Why did you edit out the painting?

First I wondered if it was NSFW at that size, so I timg'd it.

Then I worried that everyone would think I only liked it because it's slightly risque, rather than just opposing change generally. I'm still sad I never got to see a Depp-less PotC.

Then I worried more that the only reason it's still there is that most people don't even see it. So I edited out the painting.

This all makes sense if you've got the brokebrains.

Here it is:

I love her expression, and the seagulls.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

25% discount on rooms dropped today. Good for stays June 11-Aug. 1, 2018 when you book by May 22, 2018. There are other savings for stays most nights May 28-Jun. 10, 2018 and Aug. 2-30, 2018. Going to check availability now but I expect it to be terrible, as usual.

There's also a deal where kids aged 3 - 9 get free dining when you buy a non-discounted 3-night, 3-day Magic Your Way package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel, theme park tickets and a dining plan. For arrivals most nights from May 28 through August 30, 2018 when you book through August 1, 2018.

All 3 dining plans – Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan, Disney Dining Plan and Disney Deluxe Dining Plan – are eligible with this offer, but everyone in the reservation must be on the same package.

Booking Information:
Booking window: March 21 – August 1, 2018
Travel window: most nights May 28 – August 30, 2018

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Has anyone done backstage tours at animal kingdom? Are they good? What about the ones at animal kingdom lodge?