Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's honestly only a couple bad FF games, and the series has enough variety that anyone can find some they like. People who think you can only do Final Fantasy one way are stupid.

Which are the bad ones in your opinion?

FF2 is probably the worst because even if you like that kind of broken leveling system you could just play SaGa instead.

I've never heard anyone give an opinion either way on FF3, is it just completely forgettable or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Which are the bad ones in your opinion?

FF2 is probably the worst because even if you like that kind of broken leveling system you could just play SaGa instead.

I've never heard anyone give an opinion either way on FF3, is it just completely forgettable or what?
2 and 8. 3 is mostly fine but the last dungeon is tedious, which hurts it. Gorgeous music though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3 nes is neat and a historical curiosity for the early job system. The ds REmake is somehow worse than the original though, which is a shame since the gba/ds revisions Square did for every other ff during that period were awesome

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played 3 ds and it was awful. I picked it up in airport and it was the only game 14 year old me had for two weeks. I couldn't get past the tiny dungeon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The weirdest part about it was that they had to reduce the number enemies per encounter by half bc of the 3D models, so to "balance" this they just doubled the math of everything. Meaning depending on boss rng you could get instagibbed before you had a turn and lose the entire dungeon bc there were no save points. Good poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

The weirdest part about it was that they had to reduce the number enemies per encounter by half bc of the 3D models, so to "balance" this they just doubled the math of everything. Meaning depending on boss rng you could get instagibbed before you had a turn and lose the entire dungeon bc there were no save points. Good poo poo

Didn't bosses get 2 turns for every one turn your party got too? I seem to remember that from when I played the DS version

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

3 ds is one of the worst rpgs ive ever played. the last boss in particular is insane, they gave it three extra attacks per round for some reason and doubled the math from the original so it can fuckin disintegrate you if you aren't super overleveled, only the best place to grind is the last dungeon which doesn't have save points so if you take a shot and lose you throw 3-5 hours of grinding into the toilet.

2's also pretty bad, its neat as a historical curiosity and the keyword system's a fun idea but the SaGa games do the leveling way better. the story's pretty cool though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Didn't bosses get 2 turns for every one turn your party got too? I seem to remember that from when I played the DS version

yeah, garuda in particular got like 3 attacks a round and lost its vulnerability to dragoon attacks with the class updates (which were fuckin retarded pretty much from the ground up), so it was an insane difficulty spike for pretty much no reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah 3DS had Job Sickness which was a stat penalty that occurred every time you switch jobs which is just baffling

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fungah! posted:

3 ds is one of the worst rpgs ive ever played. the last boss in particular is insane, they gave it three extra attacks per round for some reason and doubled the math from the original so it can fuckin disintegrate you if you aren't super overleveled, only the best place to grind is the last dungeon which doesn't have save points so if you take a shot and lose you throw 3-5 hours of grinding into the toilet.
the grinding was exactly the same in the original as well

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

the grinding was exactly the same in the original as well

yeah but the boss was easier because it didnt have the extra attacks. plus the secret jobs were way better so you didnt have to grind as much to get up to a decent level for the boss. still a three hour final dungeon with no save points but its insane that the port made it worse

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Oh yeah 3DS had Job Sickness which was a stat penalty that occurred every time you switch jobs which is just baffling

also iirc it did that retarded thing where the cool endgame jobs had way worse stat growth than the early game jobs so you had to grind like 50 levels as black belt and then switch to karateka because switching to karateka at level 20 when you got it would mean your character was way under par for endgame. 3 ds fuckin sucks my rear end!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

8 is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should play 12 at some point since it's the only FF left I haven't played

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

You played 11?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've played a really weird selection of these games. 1 2 3 4 6 15 and Tactics. I might play LR because it seems insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

You played 11?

No but I definitely never will

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

It's good. I'm looking forward to playing the remaster soon

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Final fantasy is some drat win imo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I started 15 ng+ the other day and I couldn't shut it off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What do you get in ng+? Do you start with the endgame regalia?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I think the only thing I lost was weapon upgrades. I even have the car headlights and the death ring

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

This

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
3 on the DS was bad enough to kill my interest in FF for a good couple of years before a friend gave me Dawn of Souls.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

3 ds caused me to take a molested kids turn and play Tales games for a few years instead

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I love it a ton and you should hit me up on Steam or something when you play it so we can talk about how good it is

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

spb posted:

8 is good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I've only played the NES version and this is one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

12 is some drat win. i need to get back to my zodiac edition playthrough, i let it sit for a while right before raithwall and i've been getting the itch to get back to it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Fungah! posted:

12 is some drat win. i need to get back to my zodiac edition playthrough, i let it sit for a while right before raithwall and i've been getting the itch to get back to it

12 is top tier final fantasy and i will argue for a long time with anyone who thinks otherwise.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
in other news FFXV is completely amazeing and i lose at least 3 hours every time i turn it on. its almost overwhelmingly big, like i feel like i can only really dig into it if i play 5+ hour sessions.. which is easy to do because its some drat win

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I’ve put about 12 hours into my level 1 XV run and I’m still on chapter 3 cause I have kept busy doing hunts and sidequests along with trying to get good gear. A lot of time you just spend getting around but it still feels enjoyable

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm interested in Final Fantasy XV but the thought of another big open-world RPG with a bunch of sidequests and drivin' around and bonus chapters is frankly kind of daunting. What's the word on FFXV Pocket Edition? Is there a word? Do you know what the word is? Can you tell it to me, please?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm interested in Final Fantasy XV but the thought of another big open-world RPG with a bunch of sidequests and drivin' around and bonus chapters is frankly kind of daunting. What's the word on FFXV Pocket Edition? Is there a word? Do you know what the word is? Can you tell it to me, please?

you could just skip the side stuff and play the story. its compelling and its not like you would be under leveled because so far it feels like if i actually did all the side content i would be OP as hell.. but then would it still be worth 50 bucks? who could say

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Just get it it's not like Witcher 3 huge. It's long but Just, you know, JRPG long

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-87g3R-dVE&t=48s

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

if bowling balls were a weapon in FFXV I would have enjoyed the combat a lot more

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

elf help book posted:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

are all the chapters in FFXV as short as the first 4? because instead of being chapters of a story it feels more like each chapter is designated to one plot beat and are only an ~hour long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

rediscover posted:

are all the chapters in FFXV as short as the first 4? because instead of being chapters of a story it feels more like each chapter is designated to one plot beat and are only an ~hour long

No, some of the later chapters are definitely longer