Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’m going to give that one a try. I think I can make it work. “I’m so happy you are the female of our union” can’t possibly be taken badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

The ending to the Seinfeld would be that you say "I think we should see other people," then take out your phone and play the record scratch, then say "Yeah, that's you, being dumped by your girlfriend," bass sting, roll credits

You cold also leave divorce papers all over the house and when he questions you play the record scratch. Be ready though, that's going to be a real fun argument. Gonna burn those record scratches out by the end of it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can picture them just yelling at each other with constant record scratches as they each interrupt the other one. Could be a good Always Sunny skit.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Play a fart sound any time he does it because anything that comes out of his mouth is poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The real pro move would be to sleep with Thurston.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Solice Kirsk posted:

The real pro move would be to sleep with Thurston.

With a name like Thurston you know he gets all the pussy

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't "get" escape rooms. There are too many rules and no consequences for failing so people just gently caress around. It's hard to get a rush from it if you know you'll just be let out anyway after the hour or whatever is up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't "get" escape rooms. There are too many rules and no consequences for failing so people just gently caress around. It's hard to get a rush from it if you know you'll just be let out anyway after the hour or whatever is up.

Maybe they should like charge twice as much per person to do the escape room, but you get half your money back if you win

Make it a little more interesting without it being too many people's fetish

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spending money to prove you are a failure is enough of a consequence for most people to care enough to actually try.

It's kind of like golf.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
That scratch one is so funny and sad at the same time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

loquacius posted:

Maybe they should like charge twice as much per person to do the escape room, but you get half your money back if you win

Make it a little more interesting without it being too many people's fetish

That would be the more sensible option I guess. I was picturing something where you sign a legal waiver where you just can't get out until you solve it and they supply you with food/water so you don't die. I mean, you'd have to be extremely dense to be stuck in them for a long time but it would at least add some thrill to the experience.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think escape rooms are fun just for the challenge of a puzzle to be solved. I don't know anyone that does them for a "rush."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

So, do you not get puzzle video games? Like, knowing you can look up a faq, or reload a save?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, do you not get puzzle video games? Like, knowing you can look up a faq, or reload a save?

I think those are pretty different situations though. I like puzzle computer games because it's just something to pass the time at home, but if I'm paying for a real life experience I'd like there to be at least some kind of adrenaline rush.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

I think those are pretty different situations though. I like puzzle computer games because it's just something to pass the time at home, but if I'm paying for a real life experience I'd like there to be at least some kind of adrenaline rush.

There are a whole lot of things people pay to experience that have nothing to do with adrenaline, like a good meal in a pleasant setting. I like imagining you literally only paying for experiences that give you that rush and travelling exclusively by wingsuit or w/e

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

420 SWAGLORD posted:

There are a whole lot of things people pay to experience that have nothing to do with adrenaline, like a good meal in a pleasant setting. I like imagining you literally only paying for experiences that give you that rush and travelling exclusively by wingsuit or w/e

I would love to see this as some sort of dystopian future "Running Man"-style game show:

quote:

"You can have some bacon, but first you need to fight this live boar to the death!"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I don't think people do it for the thrills like they're skydiving.

I think they're just supposed to be a light hearted fun thing to do with some friends, like a big boardgame, and then you all go grab a burger or whatever and give each other poo poo for screwing up. :iiam:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Fintilgin posted:

I think they're just supposed to be a light hearted fun thing to do with some friends, like a big boardgame, and then you all go grab a burger or whatever and give each other poo poo for screwing up. :iiam:
Yeah, it's a big puzzle game that you work on with your friends. It's not any more complicated than that. If that doesn't appeal to you, then don't pay for one I guess?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've never done Escape The Room stuff before. My only concern is whether they ventilate the rooms and clean them up afterwards. I would hate to be stuck in a stuffy room stinking of some stranger's odors with my friends for an hour

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

90% of all public air is made of strangers' farts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, it's a big puzzle game that you work on with your friends. It's not any more complicated than that. If that doesn't appeal to you, then don't pay for one I guess?

It's kind of a pedantic thing to me, but when I hear "escape" I feel like there should be some level of danger involved. If they just called them puzzle rooms or whatever I'd be fine with it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
an escape room where the gimmick is that the ceiling is slowly lowering and if you fail you are crushed to death

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Just make it like the sci fi horror series Cube.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Incoherence posted:

does not compute beep boop

sandoz fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL I manage a trio of giant escape room down south, we sell between 50-500 tickets in a week. The vacation season is picking up and we’re starting to get slammed.

Escape rooms are fun because it’s an all-ages group activity that rewards people for using your brain. What group activities can you think of really focus on that? Bar Trivia//Quizzo? Game Night at a friends house? Movies, bars, restaurants, these places are stimulating but don’t require intense thought, in fact you’re probably trying to shut your brain off. Escape rooms provide a memorable group experience where people get to go a teensy bit outside their comfort zone and feel like they outsmarted something.

Like really before I started working here I had no concept how much money you could make but basically once the room is built and your puzzles are sound it’s just a matter of fixing things drunk people break and you can charge kind of whatever you want.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL I manage a trio of giant escape room down south, we sell between 50-500 tickets in a week. The vacation season is picking up and we’re starting to get slammed.

Escape rooms are fun because it’s an all-ages group activity that rewards people for using your brain. What group activities can you think of really focus on that? Bar Trivia//Quizzo? Game Night at a friends house? Movies, bars, restaurants, these places are stimulating but don’t require intense thought, in fact you’re probably trying to shut your brain off. Escape rooms provide a memorable group experience where people get to go a teensy bit outside their comfort zone and feel like they outsmarted something.

Like really before I started working here I had no concept how much money you could make but basically once the room is built and your puzzles are sound it’s just a matter of fixing things drunk people break and you can charge kind of whatever you want.

Nice sales pitch dude.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea he certainly convinced me to drive to the south to try a random escape room.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was just responding the people going “I don’t get it” and also Escape Room Cheater: You’re a loser and the stoner kids who are watching you cheat on camera think you’re a weenie

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress, I love going to them because it makes me feel smart, without cheating. And yeah, it's pretty easy to get into.

Also, my city has now got like crazy poo poo. Like the national nature museum has two rooms. Or the world's largest escape room in the nuclear bomb bunker that the Canadian Government would have used.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I was just responding the people going “I don’t get it” and also Escape Room Cheater: You’re a loser and the stoner kids who are watching you cheat on camera think you’re a weenie

I mean, I get it, my point was that I just don't find it very exciting when there's nothing at stake.

I do agree that cheating is pretty lame though.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
For fucks sake, it's a fun activity to do with friends. Like bowling, curling or watermelon seed spitting.

I've done it once, had a fun time and would do another escape room in the future.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What if there was an escape room that was free, but if you don't solve the puzzle your best friend fucks your wife?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Solice Kirsk posted:

What if there was an escape room that was free, but if you don't solve the puzzle your best friend fucks your wife?

Why have a puzzle if you don’t want anyone to solve it?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just imagine a bunch of mom jean wearing poindexters being all excited about some dumbass puzzle room. Wow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’re set up in a vacation spot so it’s like 60% families or vacation groups, 20% drunk friends hanging out, 10% nerds and tryhards who take it mega seriously, and 10% bored people who have done literally everything else to do in town and it’s raining.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
You fuckers got to get to some Escape rooms in China then because they turn that poo poo up to 11. They broke our team of 10 into groups of 5 and we had to use clues in Dark Cells with flashlights to help each other Escape our cells then we had to crawl through ducts to find more clues while going through laser trapped rooms and a whole bunch of stuff that kind of made you feel like a spy it was actually pretty loving awesome and we would have won the room we were in except we couldn't figure out how to work a Chinese safe at the end but they gave us credit for the win since we found out the combination.

What I'm saying is that US Escape rooms where you only have an hour and it's one boring-rear end room is bullshit you haven't lived until you've had to push the cell you were in to reveal a hidden Passage that poo poo was nuts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I'm gonna start an Escape Room modeled off a Syrian prison. You have to escape with in 5 days. There will be torture. $15000/person per visit. I'm gonna be riiiiiiiiiiich!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

While a lot of goons complain about their lovely lives and like to complain about capitalism and whatnot, I went and made something of my self.

I wrote a book that’s now a movie, mayhaps you’ve heard of Ready Player One? Because you have, that was a hypothetical.

While a big accomplishment for an average goon is putting his pants on and not running his life, I’ve spent most of my free time lately hanging out with Steven Spielberg. Ever heard of Indians Jones or ET or Schindler’s List or Duel or Jaws? I know this man personally now, he is my friend.

My movie is going to make me even richer, although money isn’t all of it. There’s the revenge aspect, too. I posted regularly on these forums for years and was regularly mocked. Look at me now, bitches.

Have you ever written a book? Nope, at least not a good one. And definitely not one that’s now a movie. I doubt the SA forums were visited by Michael Crichton while writing Jurassic Park, or Peter Benchley while writing Jaws. Heck, that would require a time machine like the Delorean or Bill and Ted’s phone booth or the TARDIS or the time machine created by HG Wells.

That’s all fiction but you know what isn’t? Me being able to buy and sell every one of you. And oh yeah, I saw the prop Ark of the Covenant for real. So yeah, I’m doing great.

lol

This is actually pretty good in-character writing as Ernest Cline, and I would not be the least bit surprised to learn he's a goon

This next one had a code phrase and a note that it's not really related to the previous confessions using that code phrase so I'm just treating it as a new one

quote:

My company is pretty lovely towards its hourly workers. Surprise, I know. Actually, it's lovely towards all of the employees but it's harder being hourly because most of us live paycheck to paycheck and are considered replaceable.

A guy tweaked his back while transferring inventory from one area to another and asked to go to the clinic to get it checked out. He asked management what the options would be as far as workers comp / having the company cover the bill for the visit. He struggled walking the 50 feet to the parking lot to get a ride to the doctor.

As a rule of thumb senior management assumes that employees are just looking for a quick handout and make a point to downplay what workers comp can help with. Instead they explain how people are better off getting back to work as soon as possible instead of going to the doctor who won't do anything except for prescribing light duty and some painkillers.

It just sucks working for a company that assumes employees get hurt at home and then come in for an hour just to say they got hurt on the job. They don't have an HR department and I'm not really in a position to advocate on anybody's behalf. It kind of sucks too that in general poor people can't afford to get hurt or sick regardless of how their employer approaches it.

:capitalism:

I suggest unionizing. I am being dead serious here. Management cannot and will not take workers seriously because the state of unskilled workers' rights and labor rights in general has deteriorated all to poo poo and back in this country. We need unions. Hourly workers especially.

I would like nothing better than a universal retail strike

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Striking for unskilled positions without an existing Union doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

This is actually pretty good in-character writing as Ernest Cline, and I would not be the least bit surprised to learn he's a goon

I tried to read Ready Player One but it was such a Turbo-Nerd Jackoff Fantasy from the first word that I bailed immediately.