Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharma
Nov 4, 2012

D1E posted:

I read them all in completely random order and I don’t think the experience suffered at all for it. Why not just get whichever one is cheapest or most easily available?

Alternative would be best average-reviewed to worst, so if you don’t finish them out you at least read the consensus best ones.

Awesome, yea I was thinking either Excession or The Hydrogen Sonata. Excession it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Read Hydrogen Sonata last. In general, read matter and the later books later.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hey guys I just finished The Stone Sky and I don't know what to read now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

People talk about Gene Wolfe's books being hard to read because of all the obscure words but I'm reading William Gibsons "The Peripheral" and it's about 10x worse, tons of terms that appear and are unexplained. That's fine though, that's probably the right way to write an immersive story.

Also they both like to write scenes that happen but aren't described, and then are explained later on. Wolfe fills in little details, but Gibson will show how a person reacts to something we don't see, then 15 pages later the character will explain what they saw to someone else. It's a stylistic thing that I like in Wolfe with his unreliable narrators, but find annoying in Gibson. It feels like artificially built tension and then telling as opposed to showing.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

andrew smash posted:

I read an interview with the showrunner who said she wanted to introduce the quellists and wasn’t sure if she’d get the chance to do a second season, so that’s why they ended up the way they did. Not a great reason mind but there it is.

It also made the quellists motivation dumb as hell.

my bony fealty posted:

That's exciting. I'm iffy about Vandermeer's own work (like Southern Reach, eh about the rest) but their compilations are a real good thing.

Stoked about the wide range of time and geography they got in there.

The scifi collection was way more depressing than I anticipated because it was like 75% awful stuff happening to people with no real recourse, which is I guess his jam but doesn't really accurately represent the genre over the last century imo.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 20, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Having read the entirety of Vatta's War... Vatta's War is never really good, per se. I don't remember any particular part being any better or worse than any other. It is all one big undifferentiated block of Vatta. The sequel series I gave up on, just too much of the same.

Weird series. It's got that milfic twang, but there are all of like four fleet engagements in a six book series and most of them are in the last book. A war story without the war.

Right. I enjoyed the original but it's just sort of "there" unlike other similar stuff like Harrington or the RCN series where there's definite stuff to say about the stories.

In retrospect I want to say the original series is more of a "growth of a hero" story like the first Paksenarrion series. Though I haven't reread any of it since it finished, so this is just going on my vague memories.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I didn't realize Sanderson had released the next Stormlight Archive book. I know his stuff is kinda divisive around here, but anyone read it? Thoughts?

I barely remember what happened in the previous books, is that going to be a problem?

I'm a sucker for big stupid fantasy.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I didn't realize Sanderson had released the next Stormlight Archive book. I know his stuff is kinda divisive around here

He has his own thread with almost 10,000 posts in it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3334571

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I didn't realize Sanderson had released the next Stormlight Archive book. I know his stuff is kinda divisive around here, but anyone read it? Thoughts?

I barely remember what happened in the previous books, is that going to be a problem?

I'm a sucker for big stupid fantasy.

It's not as good as the last two, but still a little better than most D&D books.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Jeff Vandermeer posted some stats about the upcoming Big Book of Classic Fantasy:

I'm glad he keeps making these, even though I haven't worked up the nerve to read one yet.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Thread favorite Too Like The Lightning is Tor's free ebook of the month y'all

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy any good? I wouldn't mind reading more of her stuff.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I much prefer her twitch streams than the writing itself

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What... does she stream?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Megazver posted:

What... does she stream?

I haven't seen her stream that much but Skyrim, Metal Gear Solid, just typical gaming stuff except she happens to be famous for writing not a twitch celebrity.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Megazver posted:

What... does she stream?
She was into Mafia 3 for a while.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Everyone go grab Too Like the Lightning for free.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
look six posts up

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oops. Point stands though.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I don't remember seeing it mentioned here before, and I wasn't really a big fan of Blindsight, but The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts sounds really interesting.

https://twitter.com/quellist1/status/976414265828630528

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It hurts that we still have to wait three whole months for that to come out :negative:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh great time for Peter Watts to make me feel existentially uncomfortable again.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

I don't remember seeing it mentioned here before, and I wasn't really a big fan of Blindsight, but The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts sounds really interesting.

You can check out a small taste of it here http://www.rifters.com/crawl . It's pretty creepy.

I've never read Jemsin but I did enjoy her Mafia 3 and Nier Automata streams. She has a very comforting voice.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Robot Wendigo posted:

You can check out a small taste of it here http://www.rifters.com/crawl . It's pretty creepy.

He's been publishing chapters and/or short stories for years now. They've all been good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fart of Presto posted:

The premise sounds a lot like that Vernor Vinge series about people sealing themselves in time-stopping bubbles and emerging for a small time every few millennia

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fart of Presto posted:

Oh, he's actually making this a novel?

Heck yeah, I'm delighted to experience this horror that causes me to question my fundamental consciousness.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Robot Wendigo posted:

Well that just made it a straight up pre-order.

Fallom posted:

The premise sounds a lot like that Vernor Vinge series about people sealing themselves in time-stopping bubbles and emerging for a small time every few millennia

That's it. The Peace War/Marooned in Realtime. I couldn't remember what it reminded me of. At first I thought of Reynolds' House of Suns, but knew it was something else.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card also had that idea going

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

angel opportunity posted:

The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card also had that idea going

poo poo get's dune sequels weird.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I finished Downbelow Station by Cherryh.
Is the rest of the series written in the same style? So far it was not my cup of tea, but I am willing to give it another try.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cardiac posted:

So I finished Downbelow Station by Cherryh.
Is the rest of the series written in the same style? So far it was not my cup of tea, but I am willing to give it another try.

Nope ! The other books in that setting (it's not really a series) are different. There's a few Merchanter books which covers the independent side of the conflict. There are some very interesting novels set on the Alliance side; 40,000 in Gehenna, Cyteen, and Regenesis. Then there's the Chanur novels, arguably her best work; a Union human ends up with an alien trader crew with their own problems.

:getin:

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

mllaneza posted:

Nope ! The other books in that setting (it's not really a series) are different. There's a few Merchanter books which covers the independent side of the conflict. There are some very interesting novels set on the Alliance side; 40,000 in Gehenna, Cyteen, and Regenesis. Then there's the Chanur novels, arguably her best work; a Union human ends up with an alien trader crew with their own problems.

:getin:

I mean... they are written in the same style though. I find Cherryh's writing so difficulty because some of the themes are so interesting but her writing can be oppressively plodding and dry.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I just finished The Dispossessed and wondered if anyone had recommendations for some books on the kind of anarchy that inspired Le Guin. The one I know of is Post Scarcity Anarchy but was wondering if there were more.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

apophenium posted:

I just finished The Dispossessed and wondered if anyone had recommendations for some books on the kind of anarchy that inspired Le Guin. The one I know of is Post Scarcity Anarchy but was wondering if there were more.

wasn't she inspired by murray bookchin's stuff for that? its not fiction but you might give something like The Next Revolution: Popular Assemblies and the Promise of Direct Democracy a try could also give you another starting point for looking for works of fiction inspired by bookchin

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

papa horny michael posted:

poo poo get's dune sequels weird.

This is probably the highest praise I've seen OSC receive. I gotta read those books.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

I mean... they are written in the same style though. I find Cherryh's writing so difficulty because some of the themes are so interesting but her writing can be oppressively plodding and dry.

Downbelow Station is probably her worst book for that, IMO. The Merchanter and Chanur books are much faster-paced.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wasn't she inspired by murray bookchin's stuff for that? its not fiction but you might give something like The Next Revolution: Popular Assemblies and the Promise of Direct Democracy a try could also give you another starting point for looking for works of fiction inspired by bookchin

Bookchin's later writings on communalism are extremely interesting

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Yeah Post Scarcity Anarchism was by Bookchin, I was just wondering if there were any others. I'll dig into Bookchin's stuff. Sorry for the nonfic derail!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Downbelow Station is probably her worst book for that, IMO. The Merchanter and Chanur books are much faster-paced.

Guess I’ll give Chanur a shot then.
Is there a reading order, or it is sequential? Wikipedia was kinda vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiac posted:

Guess I’ll give Chanur a shot then.
Is there a reading order, or it is sequential? Wikipedia was kinda vague.

Pride of Chanur is the first, and also a standalone book. The rest need to be read in publication order or else you will be completely lost.

e: Deets:

1# Pride of Chanur. Standalone, but it sets up the world for future novels.
2-4#
Chanur's Venture
The Kif Strike Back
Chanur's Homecoming

A single book masquerading as a trilogy. Chanur's Homecoming is one of my favorite books of all time, and all three are good. They hit this lovely set of things I like: aliens, politics, action, family drama, really devious characters, and Pyanfar being a badass.

5# Chanur's Legacy
Standalone sequel set like ten years after Chanur's Homecoming, focuses on Pyanfar's niece having her own ship and having goofy adventures. Is probably the most feel-good book Cherryh's ever written.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 23, 2018