Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gustav posted:

It's like, the absolute worst of both possible worlds. What the hell. Who do they imagine will want to play this?

Well, they specifically said in the article "casual and commander players", so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Human Crouton posted:

Buy-a-box only promo.

Why can't this company just make cards, and stop making retarded unforced errors? The game is fun. Just make the cards, and leave status quo be.

Because the individual managers only care about their own performance and keeping their job. As happens all the time in big corporate environments, the bare minimum baseline is "your numbers improved slightly over last quarter", despite the fact that you can't sustain growth indefinitely like that.

The tiniest disruption to the trend sends them flailing to fix things as quickly as possible, leading to decisions like: "How can we get players to buy more Standard sealed product.....a bunch of them left during the KTK and Kaladesh debacles to play Commander instead....I KNOW, STANDARD-ONLY COMMANDER!"

I just reread MaRo's old article about "20 things that were supposed to ruin Magic", and the entry about the New World Order changes hasn't aged well. That seems to be the cause of 99% of the problems we've had in Standard over the last few years.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Buy-a-box only promo.

Why can't this company just make cards, and stop making retarded unforced errors? The game is fun. Just make the cards, and leave status quo be.

Because they weren’t expanding enough for somebody in WOTC/Hasbro, they hosed up bad with a couple new of sets and now it’s snowballing

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Count Bleck posted:

Well, they specifically said in the article "casual and commander players", so..

good thing they never accidentally print good cards when they mean to print mediocre stuff :v:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just reread MaRo's old article about "20 things that were supposed to ruin Magic", and the entry about the New World Order changes hasn't aged well. That seems to be the cause of 99% of the problems we've had in Standard over the last few years.

Literally 0 of the recent problems in Standard are from NWO, which is only about card complexity at common.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Does the special booster slot mean common legends?

Maybe in addition to the pushed Standard Commander we can have... Pauper commander?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I believe that uncommon is the lowest printed rarity on the legends in DOM.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

whydirt posted:

Literally 0 of the recent problems in Standard are from NWO, which is only about card complexity at common.

You are correct. I guess in my brain I lump in changes like "Oblivion Ring is too complicated, let's re-template that" and other deliberate simplifications and slashing of things like efficient removal or Llanowar Elf type cards.

I feel like Standard is at least not as stale as it was, but it still has a ways to go. I have high hopes for Dominaria that I know are going to be crushed :smith:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

standard's gonna be buttfucking wild until rotation but i got high hopes for both times of the format

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Silver lining: if Sheldon switches over to standard edh, he'll stop loving around with the ban lists for normal edh.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

whydirt posted:

I hate when people complain about common removal in limited as an NWO program when the first NWO sets were the ones with Doom Blade and Lightning Bolt.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You are correct. I guess in my brain I lump in changes like "Oblivion Ring is too complicated, let's re-template that" and other deliberate simplifications and slashing of things like efficient removal or Llanowar Elf type cards.

I feel like Standard is at least not as stale as it was, but it still has a ways to go. I have high hopes for Dominaria that I know are going to be crushed :smith:

Unsuccessfully trying to reshape the pace of play in Standard is a much more accurate way the overarching issues. Although I’d say the bigger issue that drove players away was having pushed colorless cards like new Emrakul, Aetherworks Marvel, and Smugglers Copter (and then having to ban them). Not having anyone catch the infinite combo of Saheeli and Felidar Guardian in the same block was also very dumb.

Retemplating O-ring effects is good in the long run because abusing corner case rules loopholes isn’t great gameplay and the existing effects still exist in eternal formats for veteran players.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

whydirt posted:

I don't think removing complexity from common has helped things either. While its made o-ring stuff better, who knows what we have missed out on for the sake of "too complex".

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Let's make a product that is only readily available to heavily invested players. That will get us new customers.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the legendary frame treatment looks like they gave a four year old some scissors and let them cut the frame

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sickening posted:

I don't think removing complexity from common has helped things either.

Helped make Standard a better format? Who knows?

That wasn’t the goal though. The goal was to make the game easier to learn for new players and I don’t see any reason why it hasn’t helped with that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

how much do physical stores usually sell boxes for? i'm wondering if it's a desperate attempt to make that make any sort of sense vs. just buying them for $90 on amazon

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m surprised the power of energy as a mechanic seemed to catch development flat-footed when it’s basically a way to bank mana of any color across turns. Fast mana that ignores the color pie is a recipe for broken plays. The blue and green puzzleknots are just fancy dark ritual effects.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Don't worry guys. If people don't like the promo they will totally walk it back
https://twitter.com/trickmtg/status/976498025135710210

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Brawl is totally WOTC attempting to cash in on the esports MOBA/hero-shooter fad

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

Brawl is totally WOTC attempting to cash in on the esports MOBA/hero-shooter fad

lol what

how

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

lol what

how

It's jokes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

how much do physical stores usually sell boxes for? i'm wondering if it's a desperate attempt to make that make any sort of sense vs. just buying them for $90 on amazon

$90 is not really that good of a deal for online. Stores vary from msrp (like $140 lmao) to down to maybe $90, but then you'll be paying sales tax which in my durisdiction is quite a bit. The best deals are from judges you know who are trying to unload product they were payed in (double lmao), those monthly %15 off ebay coupons, or getting a case at a time from a few places like miniaturesmarket.

e: If you really want savings get a business license and buy directly from distributors. Or do redemptions, maybe, if those are still a good deal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Last time I looked the price on a case at MM was just box times six.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

It's jokes.

in a thread full of bad posts, jokes must be more obvious imo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
while it's a dumb move, who cares how hard-to-get some card that you'll never play is?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
players: I don't like how scarce high-demand cards are

wotc, thinking really hard: we've listened to your feedback and are now introducing cards that are low-demand and scarce

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the exclusive buy a box card is a genius move by wotc to convince players they should just buy singles to get the card they need rather than cracking infinite amounts of product

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

$90 is not really that good of a deal for online. Stores vary from msrp (like $140 lmao) to down to maybe $90, but then you'll be paying sales tax which in my durisdiction is quite a bit. The best deals are from judges you know who are trying to unload product they were payed in (double lmao), those monthly %15 off ebay coupons, or getting a case at a time from a few places like miniaturesmarket.

e: If you really want savings get a business license and buy directly from distributors. Or do redemptions, maybe, if those are still a good deal.

I'm not talking so much about chiseling every bit of money off the box price and trying to get the best deals possible.

What I mean is, if the stores are trying to sell for noticeably more than amazon I can see them desperately trying to give the physical stores a lot more value. It's not like going to amazon and plugging in "dominaria booster box" and waiting for it to arrive is a tremendous amount of work, and if stores need to sell well above the $90 that they go for on amazon, they've gotta be screaming about how on earth do they compete with that, and this to me looks like WOTC trying to give them a way to compete with that. But, uh, that requires making this like a $10-$20 card at the minimum.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Please someone brew a competitive standard deck with that promo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress i want to buy a box just to get the dumb minotaurs

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

odiv posted:

Please someone brew a competitive standard deck with that promo.

Is the promo guy actually Standard legal?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I would pay one hundered united states dollars if the promo became part of a tier one deck and this game finally choked to death on its own scarcity.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I don't know who I would pay it to, but god dammit, I would pay it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I imagine it's at least legal in the Standard Commander variant they're pushing, otherwise what's the point? And if it's legal in the format that only uses Standard legal cards, then it follows...

Though who the hell knows.

edit: Someone get a hold of Séance guy, maybe he can help fund some brewing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

black potus posted:

I don't know who I would pay it to, but god dammit, I would pay it.

me

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

black potus posted:

I would pay one hundered united states dollars if the promo became part of a tier one deck and this game finally choked to death on its own scarcity.

I would laugh until I stopped.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

black potus posted:

If Jace, VP didn't choke the game out, this thing won't.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Kurtofan posted:

gently caress i want to buy a box just to get the dumb minotaurs

Same. I take solace in the fact that at least so far the set is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
mechanically unique limited release promos is basically the one cardinal tcg sin wotc hasn't committed in more than two decades lmao