Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Thanks guys. I was super happy with the crumb on that one, first one I've made that seemed to be close to 'right.' It's less about size of the loaf, more about shaping into a nice rounder/taller boule and getting more oven spring and defined ears from my scoring as i am very bad at and terrified of both of those steps. I'd love to have the sort of shape/appearance that Shame Boner managed on theirs.

This was really useful, thanks. I've seen plenty of pictures of this process, but this makes it much easier to understand the technique. My dough was definitely a bit stickier and less strong than his was too, which is instructive. I think I'm too afraid of screwing up the dough when shaping so am actually being way too gentle.

I have just ordered some fancy artisan flour to try (stoneground wholemeal and stoneground sifted white). The stated protein level on these is a little lower than the supermarket 'very strong Canadian' bread flour at 12.8-13% vs 14.8%, will it make for noticeably different handling/properties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a good rundown out there on different types of gluten free flour for baking bread? My wife has unpleasant reactions to significant amounts of gluten, but a lot of GF bread is kind of crappy and it’s all expensive. I’m thinking like almond vs rice vs coconut, not different brands of expensive blends that end up costing as much as the pre-made bread. My mother in law gave us her kitchen-aid since we use it so much more anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Which is better for bread making, kosher or table salt? I've been using table but I see kosher pop up here regularly.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a good rundown out there on different types of gluten free flour for baking bread? My wife has unpleasant reactions to significant amounts of gluten, but a lot of GF bread is kind of crappy and it’s all expensive. I’m thinking like almond vs rice vs coconut, not different brands of expensive blends that end up costing as much as the pre-made bread. My mother in law gave us her kitchen-aid since we use it so much more anyway.
The America's Test Kitchen gluten free book actually has a lot of information regarding which wheat flour alternatives there are and what they do in a g/f flour blend to substitute for the properties of the wheat flour.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iospace posted:

Which is better for bread making, kosher or table salt? I've been using table but I see kosher pop up here regularly.

Kosher, iodine doesn't have 0 impact iirc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Kosher, iodine doesn't have 0 impact iirc

So 100% NaCl is the best then? What reason?

Also, this is the brand they have at Costco, it's nearly 50 cents a pound cheaper than King Arthur when I buy it at Target.

I go through ~2 pounds a week at the moment, would it be worth switching to that if I can find a big enough container?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

The America's Test Kitchen gluten free book actually has a lot of information regarding which wheat flour alternatives there are and what they do in a g/f flour blend to substitute for the properties of the wheat flour.

That's really cool, thanks. I might have to get that book.

My sister in law made some amazing banana bread with rice flour back in California, but we don't have Wincos with $.99/lb rice flour here :(

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

iospace posted:

Also, this is the brand they have at Costco, it's nearly 50 cents a pound cheaper than King Arthur when I buy it at Target.

I go through ~2 pounds a week at the moment, would it be worth switching to that if I can find a big enough container?

I'd stick with KAF, un bleached/bromated. Higher protein content. Maybe you can't tell the difference in the finished product. I'm lucky that my Costco sells KAF 25lbs for ~$12. For storage I just keep it in the bag sitting in a big rubbermaid bin so the flour doesn't get all over the place. I always have a 25lb bag of AP flour on hand, and usually have a 50lb bag from their store in VT of a high test flour like Lancelot or Galahad.

They just seem like an awesome company all around, and those huge bags of poo poo flour I just think of garbage supermarket "parisian" bread etc.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iospace posted:

quote:

Non-Iodized Salt: Use only non-iodized salt. Iodine attacks the yeast activity, slowing down the first fermentation and in delicate cakes can give an metallic flavor.
from http://www.schoolofbaking.com/dough-tips.html

The impact is likely close to nil. Use sea salt if you need iodine for your thyroid or w/e.

I use that flour from costco and it's not as good as KA, but going through ~150-200 lbs a year makes it worthwhile.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Been making bread roughly weekly since the new year as I got some sourdough starter from my partner's mother and have been feeding it on a daily basis. Finally made a loaf this weekend that I'm really proud of!

~69% hydration. Crust is chewy and somehow quite flaky, which is awesome. Only complaint is that it's pretty soft in the middle, making it difficult to slice thinner than ~1cm. Gonna try experimenting with wheat, rye, etc. to hopefully get something a little firmer.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

I've been back into making no-knead with lots of tasty inclusions. So far our favourite is a cheddar bacon jalapeρo that is basically bread with the sandwich baked right in. It's loving delicious and about 2600 calories for the whole loaf but nobody cares.

It's actually a quicker no-knead than the popular overnight one. It has a really soft crumb but the crust is amazing every time. I used this recipe (http://thefoodiebunch.com/poor-mans-no-knead-bread-recipe/2/) but didn't use his shaping and baking method. I just used my old lagostina cast iron as usual for no-knead.

TenKindsOfCrazy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 13, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Edit: My pictures aren't working and I can't figure out why. :(

You're linking the albums instead of the actual images.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

iospace posted:

You're linking the albums instead of the actual images.

Thank you! I'll fix it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

country ham and cheese bread

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Sourdough and a touch of rye loaves!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hello, bread thread! Have been lurking on and off for a while now and enjoying all the advice being shared. The recommendation to read Peter Reinhardt's book and the no knead recipes have been great.

Anyone got a favorite easy brioche recipe they recommend? I don't have a mixer with a dough hook or a bread machine so I'm making everything by hand (my only special equipment is a dough scraper).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I made bread for the first time this morning, and it tastes good! I used an old college buddy's recipe:

• Use a large metal bowl and a wooden stirring spoon
• Start with 2 cups of warm water, not hot
• Add 2 teaspoons of instant yeast
• Mix those two until it's cloudy
• Add 2 cups of all-purpose bleached flour
• Stir until it has an even consistency
• Add 2 more cups of flour
• Add a teaspoon (or one small kitchen spoon) of salt
• Knead it by hand until it's fairly uniform dough without chunks of flour remaining
• Let it sit and rise, put saran wrap over the top. Takes about 45 minutes, but the more time you give it, the more bread you get. Know that when you handle it, it will collapse.
• Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. As it heats up, cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease the foil with canola oil spread by a paper towel.
o While it’s heating up…
 Spread a bit more flour on the dough, then tug it free from the bowel with circular motions to unstick it from the bottom
 Place on the pan in blobs, make indentations and pull to increase surface area
 During the second rising, put a bowl with a half stick of butter in the microwave for 20 seconds
 Brush the melted butter over the dough
 Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over them
 Spread oregano, grind it up a bit between your fingers
• Put the sheet in the oven
• Cook until it's starting to brown, usually takes 15-20 minutes
• Give it 15 minutes to cool afterward

My buddy was not exactly a master baker, but we were definitely not complaining back in the day about the sudden appearance of warm, freshly-baked bread. The last time he made it, I literally wrote every single step out because my memory is garbage and I did not know the first thing about anything to do with the kitchen (still don't, really).

I've got two questions:

- How could I make this recipe better? Are there any unnecessary steps? Are the portion sizes or times weird?

- This recipe results in about eight good-sized rolls; I'd love for it to be about half of that. Does that just mean using half the ingredient portions across-the-board, or would some portions stay the same?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, I have a problem. I need a new bread knife. I have an OXO one right now but the problem is the handle extends below the blade, which makes it hard to cut wide loaves. Any recommendations here?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

angor posted:

Tojiro ITK 270mm - This is easily the best bread knife I've ever used.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html

This right here is what you want. Thing is a lightsaber.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

iospace posted:

Alright, I have a problem. I need a new bread knife. I have an OXO one right now but the problem is the handle extends below the blade, which makes it hard to cut wide loaves. Any recommendations here?

Works every time - https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-Scalloped-Slicer-10/dp/B004CM23WA

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I use the Victorinox Fibrox 10.25”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...Srch&th=1&psc=1

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My sourdough recipe sez in lieu of a banneton I can use a tea towel in a colander. After ruining 4 loaves and 1 tea towel, I don't trust them. Is it a weave issue, or what? I'm giving them a good dusting of rice flour but should I be emptying a pack into there?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Just get a banneton.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Just get a banneton.

Yeah, they cost $15 and are worth every penny.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You gotta have a towel that isn't really fuzzy.
Old wool blankets cut up work well too something about wool dough won't stick to it.
But yeah like everyone else says just get a banneton or 2 Amazon has them pretty cheap and you get the cool pattern on top that tells everyone your an artinsan baker not just some scrub with some flour.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Just cut up an old undershirt. It's nice to have tea towels and couches and whatever, but honestly, old undershirts work just fine.

Also, buy a banneton. It makes looser doughs much easier to form, just make sure to dump it in seam side up (so when you dump it out it'll be seam side down).

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009
If you're on a budget, you can use the plastic/wicker bread baskets that restaurants use for their bread service. Something like these. A generous dusting of rice flour and they work just fine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I tend to put mine on a cutting board then put an upside down bowl over the top of it.

I'm also weird in that I don't like the dusting of flour on top.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

surf rock posted:

I've got two questions:

- How could I make this recipe better? Are there any unnecessary steps? Are the portion sizes or times weird?

they look great. instant yeast doesn't need to be dissolved in water, so you can just mix that straight into the flour before adding the water. (double check it's instant/rapid rise and not active dry.) try doing some shaping, a boule/ball is the easiest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktWciCa_UDg

surf rock posted:

- This recipe results in about eight good-sized rolls; I'd love for it to be about half of that. Does that just mean using half the ingredient portions across-the-board, or would some portions stay the same?

you can half the ingredients. or do the whole amount and cook only half. put the other half in the fridge (in an air tight container) after the first rise. it'll be good for a few days and taste even better. take the dough out about an hour before working with it to take the chill off, and then proceed as normal.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I set out to make a no-knead pizza dough last night. I must have been half asleep because I accidentally measured out WAY too much water and ended up with a 100% hydration dough. Didn't have enough flour to bring the ratio to where I needed it to be, so I just let it ferment overnight. 12 hours later I did a few stretch and folds and transferred (poured) it into a bowl to proof while I preheated a dutch oven. The dough was incredibly sticky and incredibly wet. I was expecting a disaster.

Turned out not too bad! It's very, very spongy. I think it could have used another 10 minutes in the oven, but it had already baked for 45 minutes. Overall, I'm not upset - definitely could've gone worse.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Looks almost like cake.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Well that doesn't look anything like a pizza :v:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

El Disco posted:

Well that doesn't look anything like a pizza :v:

Second try on the dough does though! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635&pagenumber=47#post482490992

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I hadn't made hokkaido milk bread in a while, but I wanted to convert it to use a poolish. Googling as to whether milk would be ok in a poolish revealed that it's fine, but that I should probably scald the milk to denature enzymes that can disturb the gluten (the internet actually says you should always scald the milk regardless of preferment if you care about gluten development). So I combined all of the milk, half and half and milk powder, scalded it (heated to 180-190F), made a poolish of 1/3 of the flour (280:280:0.7) and put the remaining scalded dairy into the tangzhong (by my math this should leave ~66g of milk but I just threw it all into the tangzhong at this point since it wasn't nearly enough to hydrate the remaining 520g of flour). All of that hung out for 12 hours, at which point the poolish was fluffy and bubbly and smelled sweet and yeasty and delicious. Everything (with just 1tsp of dry yeast) went into the stand mixer except for the butter, which I slowly fed to the dough over the middle ~10 mins of its time in the bowl, and I'll be damned if this isn't head and shoulders above the original recipe. The crumb is even more fluffy and open and it's got this perfect sweet yeastiness that reminds me a bit of fresh donuts from my local shop down the street and tricks my palette into tasting maybe a hint of vanilla or almond in the background. I daresay it is the perfect loaf of sweet white bread

:twisted:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poverty goat posted:

I hadn't made hokkaido milk bread in a while, but I wanted to convert it to use a poolish. Googling as to whether milk would be ok in a poolish revealed that it's fine, but that I should probably scald the milk to denature enzymes that can disturb the gluten (the internet actually says you should always scald the milk regardless of preferment if you care about gluten development). So I combined all of the milk, half and half and milk powder, scalded it (heated to 180-190F), made a poolish of 1/3 of the flour (280:280:0.7) and put the remaining scalded dairy into the tangzhong (by my math this should leave ~66g of milk but I just threw it all into the tangzhong at this point since it wasn't nearly enough to hydrate the remaining 520g of flour). All of that hung out for 12 hours, at which point the poolish was fluffy and bubbly and smelled sweet and yeasty and delicious. Everything (with just 1tsp of dry yeast) went into the stand mixer except for the butter, which I slowly fed to the dough over the middle ~10 mins of its time in the bowl, and I'll be damned if this isn't head and shoulders above the original recipe. The crumb is even more fluffy and open and it's got this perfect sweet yeastiness that reminds me a bit of fresh donuts from my local shop down the street and tricks my palette into tasting maybe a hint of vanilla or almond in the background. I daresay it is the perfect loaf of sweet white bread

:twisted:

drat man, this is uncharted waters, good loving job.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

hola everybody. My last two no knead (king arthur recipe) loaves have turned out pretty good and getting better, but I have to turn the motherfucker upside down for the last few minutes because the bottom stays pretty pearly white instead of browning and crisping nicely like the rest of the loaf.

I set it on the pizza stone over the wax paper it's bench-proofed on (because i cant find my gat dang pizza peel after the last move).

Do i need to preheat longer? bake on a different surface like a metal tray? is it the wax paper?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lower the grate

augias
Apr 7, 2009

so the stone needed to be closer to the heating element/hotter? Will try.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

augias posted:

is it the wax paper?

Please tell me you really mean parchment paper. If not, the bottom of your loaves may be white because it's coated in melted wax. Wax doesn't go in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

augias
Apr 7, 2009

baquerd posted:

Please tell me you really mean parchment paper. If not, the bottom of your loaves may be white because it's coated in melted wax. Wax doesn't go in the oven.

yeah yeah parchment, wax, asbestos, whatever