Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I love getting lectured about the childishness of toys by someone with an overplayed running podcast gag as their username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah podcasts are cool. One of my favorite toys to play with now that I think about it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So... what's everyone's thoughts on the next chain that's going under? *Takes out 'Retail Death Pool' board*

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Horseshoe theory posted:

So... what's everyone's thoughts on the next chain that's going under? *Takes out 'Retail Death Pool' board*

Not retail, but some of the smaller/medium sized toy makers will probably go under with Toys R Us gone.

Edit: I’ll guess J. Crews goes down next among the retail stores.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 21, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Somehow, Radioshack and Olive Garden will be the last two places standing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Somehow, Radioshack and Olive Garden will be the last two places standing

What, like someone else buys the Radio Shack name and reopens all the stores now that they're closed?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fishmech posted:

What, like someone else buys the Radio Shack name and reopens all the stores now that they're closed?

After the franchise wars of 2048, all retail stores are now Radio Shack, and all restaurants are Taco Bells

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gundam figurines are ok right?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
I've got Barnes and Noble on the 'next five years' crash watch list.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Gundam figurines are ok right?

Anime merch is sophisticated foreign art, you’re fine

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Elizabeth Mills posted:

After the franchise wars of 2048, all retail stores are now Radio Shack, and all restaurants are Taco Bells Pizza Huts

Fixed

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Brookstone seems not long for the world

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How is Shaper Image still around?

It's just lovely amazon full of poo poo you don't actually need.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Plinkey posted:

How is Shaper Image still around?

It's just lovely amazon full of poo poo you don't actually need.

It's not, is how.

The store and whole business went under in 2008, all retail locations shut down, etc. In 2010 it was brought back as just a website and catalog by a different company, which occasionally has sections in normal retail chains that are branded as a Sharper Image section.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

fishmech posted:

It's not, is how.

The store and whole business went under in 2008, all retail locations shut down, etc. In 2010 it was brought back as just a website and catalog by a different company, which occasionally has sections in normal retail chains that are branded as a Sharper Image section.

Brookstone, however, still exists. For the life of me, I can't figure out how or why.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about Hammacher-Schlemmer? That's basically the same thing but even more expensive, right?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fishmech posted:

It's not, is how.

Sometimes the Target near me stocks an entire end cap with Sharper Image poo poo. It’s super sad.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It's not, is how.

that makes much more sense.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m gonna say Frys because I have no idea how they’re still in business, they’re all dead now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Well that doesn’t sound right at all. Wait, is everything a toy?

If it's not a toy then it is a sandwich.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

learnincurve posted:

We have those stores in the UK as well I’m afraid. Collectable Stuff that used to be cheaply made tat that little Jimmy or Sally could save up pocket money for, is now “limited edition” and way above a child’s price point. It sucks for the collectors as well, in the 1990s that same money would have bought you a genuinely limited edition hand painted Star Trek statue or signed print or whatever not a lovely Pokemon key chain.

The minecraft stuff is outrageous, a game they know is hugely popular with the young kiddies and every single item a rip off.

You do realise they still make toys at a variety of price ranges for both children and adult collectors, right? This has been a thing since the 70s, even. They didn't stop making Star Wars toys for children.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Liquid Communism posted:

I've got Barnes and Noble on the 'next five years' crash watch list.

Well now that they've started to actively kill it, it'll be lucky to last the year.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why would you own toys if you didn’t have children?

Because they're cool as hell

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you own toys but don't play with them, that's weird. If you use your toys to have fun with, it's fine regardless of age.

I bought one of those Millennium Falcon RC quadcopters and it's fun as poo poo to get wasted and fly it around, and anyone who disagrees with that can kiss my whole rear end.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PT6A posted:

If you own toys but don't play with them, that's weird. If you use your toys to have fun with, it's fine regardless of age.

Collecting stuff you find interesting is weird in like a "I bet aliens will find this a potentially interesting quirk humans have" sort of way, since it's objectively non utilitarian, but like, collecting stuff for collection sake is a pretty widespread thing people have done for a long time.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

How many $100+ transformers do you have OOCC

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Squalid posted:

none, but I have the mirror mirror episode of TOS on selectavision just because I think owning a selectavision disk is "cool" despite being specifically the least cool thing ever.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I have no idea what any of those words mean

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think it means he's a NERD

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Squalid posted:

Don't make fun of transformers, my perfect car sons are great

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Squalid posted:

I have no idea what any of those words mean

SelectaVision is the video format if you think laserdisk was too convenient and mainstream.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

SelectaVision is the video format if you think laserdisk was too convenient and mainstream.

*with eyes glued to phone, texting with both hands not even bothering to look up* Oh, word?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Stretch Marx posted:

If you use it to derive pleasure, yes. A toy is literally a tool for creating enjoyment. Surprise, if you bought a fast car to go fast when you don't require one, that car is a toy!
It's only actually experiencing pleasure that's childish. If you buy an expensive car you don't need or power tools never use, that's cool, because it keeps you a joyless neoliberal subject. You're only spending a lot of money thinking about enjoying yourself, not actually doing it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Halloween Jack posted:

It's only actually experiencing pleasure that's childish. If you buy an expensive car you don't need or power tools never use, that's cool, because it keeps you a joyless neoliberal subject. You're only spending a lot of money thinking about enjoying yourself, not actually doing it.

Oh, word?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Being an adult means conforming yourself into a joyless, soulless individual. A literal cog in the machine we call Life.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Domestic Amuse posted:

Being an adult means conforming yourself into a joyless, soulless individual. A literal cog in the machine we call Life.

This is what young adults think and what failed adults tell themselves.

And that’s too bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

I’m gonna say Frys because I have no idea how they’re still in business, they’re all dead now.
They're the NewEgg showroom store and the "I don't want a loving Monster Cable from BestBuy" store. They should be doing OK with niche nerd poo poo and the random tech stuff they carry, like home surveillance cameras, appliances, TVs and whatnot.

They're what RadioShack was for Electronics, but for tech, and as of they they haven't gutted their tech stuff.

Though it would explain all the recent emphasis on "PRICES THE INTERNET CANT BEAT" and the blue tags in store that are only that price if you have this week's super secret email saver code.

It's kind of cute how they don't just give you a FrysCard, and still want you to do work to get the deals.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What’s the difference between electronics and tech?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I worked for Frys for 8 years and it’s just everything they do is so aggressively difficult for the customer that I’m surprised anyone comes back.

They have these new “blue tag” promo deals. They’re are specials only available in store, not online. HOWEVER to purchase these items, you need to have a promo code which you can only get by signing up for the newsletter. So if you are browsing around and want to buy something for the special price you have to go home, sign up for newsletter, wait for the promo codes to arrive then go back and buy what you want.

They also gently caress around with employee pay and commission every 6 months.

Their stores are just too drat big for the stuff they carry now, they should be half the size. Luckily Frys owns the building and land so they don’t give a poo poo about rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The entire Fry's shopping experience is straight out of 2002, including their website.