Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PhazonLink posted:

drat, this mandoline chat reminds me that my own mandoline still hasn't had it's first blood since I purchased cut resistant gloves with it and always use them and the veggie guard/holder thing.

Also

said cut resistant gloves don't stop shards of glass from pricking you.

Smarter then me. I bought expensive chef quality knives and learned how to use them since then. MUCH safer and just as fast after you git gud.

Now every time a fantasy man or Klingon takes an oath and cuts their hand I get woozy and have to sit down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that's going to end super well if he ever manages to hit one of them.

yeah, I once rented a house alongside a straight, wide, recently paved 4-lane road that bikers couldn't keep from riding mile-long 70mph wheelies on. Fun for you if you're on the bike, but not if you live there and hear it every evening. I thought about standing at the edge of the road to mime pulling a rope taut across the lanes... and I also doubted I'd survive pulling that kind of stunt on a pack.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Nothing new. My lab partner in college had the same thing done to him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Piggy Smalls posted:

Nothing new. My lab partner in college had the same thing done to him.

Did it become easier to push him over?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Carrs do not pay taxes so I blame them.

Heh. Nice.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Well, if it isn't my old friend Mr. McRow!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mostlygray posted:

Twin Cities. We're nice. That isn't to say that people don't wander out into traffic, but usually jaywalkers are pretty nice around here and keep their heads up. To be fair, I live in Burnsville so YMMV.
I live in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis) and I have never seen this, not even once. People run out into the street like the crosswalks are made of poisonous fire and then stand in the middle of the road as if two lines of yellow paint are a magic ward vs physics.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/hBTG22y.mp4

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Wtf wow

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Buckets everywhere

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Blitter posted:

The current rate of US fatalities per 100 million miles is 1.28 for human driven cars, so although people are awful and unsafe seeming, we can generally be counted on to try to at least preserve our own lives and even the lives of others, in a fairly reliable fashion.

If I took a cab, and they commented that they were 100 times more likely to murder someone during the drive than average, I would .. reconsider?

well there is only one death, so the statistics still get safer as time goes on. Plus, those statistics probably include tractor-trailer trucks which average way more miles per death than regular cars driven by non-commercial drivers. If you were to focus on miles-per-death in the areas that Uber will be operating first, like urban/suburban areas (where there are far more people out walking around) then I bet you'd find that already self-driving cars are quite safe even with their 1 single fatality.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

As of now automated cars are really unsafe for any meaningful use

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

An 80-something-year-old instructor at work had this happen years ago. His "thumb" looks squat and triangular compared to a real one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or as it's known in the industry, "megan fox thumb"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Now every time a fantasy man or Klingon takes an oath and cuts their hand I get woozy and have to sit down.

Any time something reminds me that we are not in fact made of homogeneous cartoon meat but rather lots of gross little structures and strings and poo poo is naptime for me.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They released the self-driving car footage, and it's clear the car should have easily seen her with its' lidar and radar:
https://twitter.com/TempePolice/status/976585098542833664

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ain't nothing in the rulebook that says a backhoe can't play b-ball.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ekuNNN posted:

They released the self-driving car footage, and it's clear the car should have easily seen her with its' lidar and radar:

That looks bad. The pedestrian doesn't look especially reckless. She didn't come darting out between parked cars or anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ekuNNN posted:

The woman is hard to see in this video but that’s all the camera’s fault.

She didn’t jump out of a bush. She crossed a full, empty lane at walking pace and anyone who can’t see things like that in the dark, with headlights, shouldn’t be driving.

That goes double for computers that can see in the dark.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
That’s the kind of video that could end Uber as a "self-driving vehicle" company. I can’t believe the investigators uploaded it.

Too bad the markets are closed and you can’t short Uber before morning. Edit never mind they aren’t publicly traded. Pity.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 22, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the look on the observing driver's face.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Platystemon posted:

The woman is hard to see in this video but that’s all the camera’s fault.

She didn’t jump out of a bush. She crossed a full, empty lane at walking pace and anyone who can’t see things like that in the dark, with headlights, shouldn’t be driving.

That goes double for computers that can see in the dark.

Yeah, the cars are supposedly equipped with LIDAR which, if anything, would work better in the dark. And she was wheeling a bicycle, so is an even bigger target than a lone person would be.

Can't wait for the lawsuits when one of these things charges through a school crossing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Yeah jeez that's pretty damning. Not really what I had pictured at all.

That's gonna be a loving setback for self-driving cars no matter what company.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
definitely defective cars fault, but why the gently caress would you casually cross the road in front of a full speed car?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

starkebn posted:

definitely defective cars fault, but why the gently caress would you casually cross the road in front of a full speed car?

Well, for one when it’s a human at the wheel they’re forced to maybe pay attention and hopefully stop in time not to hit you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

starkebn posted:

Homeless drunk/drugged/insane person.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

That looks bad. The pedestrian doesn't look especially reckless. She didn't come darting out between parked cars or anything.

Except for crossing a street in the dark. Not at a crosswalk, at a walking pace, not watching traffic run into her.

No not especially.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The person crossing the street here did something stupid. I don't think anyonemost people are saying otherwise.

But that's pretty much an ideal setup for the self-driving car to see and avoid an unexpected obstacle in the road. If it couldn't even do that under what's effectively ideal conditions for an unexpected pedestrian, it's kind of a big problem.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Except for crossing a street in the dark. Not at a crosswalk, at a walking pace, not watching traffic run into her.

No not especially.

So are you saying that if the car would have run her down while she crossed at a crosswalk that it would then not be the girl’s fault that she died?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

bobfather posted:

Well, for one when it’s a human at the wheel they’re forced to maybe pay attention and hopefully stop in time not to hit you.

This is not how humans drive.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

bobfather posted:

That seems like a stupid game to play.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

bobfather posted:

So are you saying that if the car would have run her down while she crossed at a crosswalk that it would then not be the girl’s fault that she died?

Im saying my 5 year old looks both ways before crossing the street.

Cars obviously poo poo and broken.

Lady crossed in an incredibly stupid manner.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

this was funnier when it was a nerdlinger getting decapitated because of his animes :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bombadilillo posted:

This is not how humans drive.

Actually, real humans will brake if there's a pedestrian in front of them, instead of driving full-speed into them.

They might lay on the horn a bit if they feel the pedestrian really inconvenienced them, but they're not usually going to attempt to commit vehicular manslaughter.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bombadilillo posted:

If your five-year-old crossed without looking and was splattered by an inattentive driver what would your response be? "Oh, okay, I guess"?

Blame isn't zero-sum and her crossing the road without checking thoroughly doesn't excuse the murdercar completely failing to notice her and plowing into her at full speed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bombadilillo posted:

If one day your kid didn’t, I take it you would be cool with the death penalty.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

GotLag posted:

If your five-year-old crossed without looking and was splattered by an inattentive driver what would your response be? "Oh, okay, I guess"?

Blame isn't zero-sum and her crossing the road without checking thoroughly doesn't excuse the murdercar completely failing to notice her and plowing into her at full speed.

That not what anybody said.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
not that the car shouldn't have seen her anyways with all it's high-tech bits, but we all probably would have hit that lady too. She was wearing a dark shirt and crossing right outside of the streetlights aura, that's about as bad a situation you can get for crossing a road

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's what you implied until your edit, but fair enough.

I'm leery of people assigning blame to victims because it's usually in an effort to reduce the responsibility of the perpetrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tumble posted:

not that the car shouldn't have seen her anyways with all it's high-tech bits, but we all probably would have hit that lady too. She was wearing a dark shirt and crossing right outside of the streetlights aura, that's about as bad a situation you can get for crossing a road

If that's true for you, you're a bad driver.

If there's an object in your path, your headlights should illuminate it in time for you to stop before hitting it. If that's not the case, you're driving too fast for the conditions.