Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Princeps32 posted:

edit: the point i guess i wasn't clearly making isn't that the idea of warring communities is boring, it's that alexandria, hilltop, the kingdom, and the saviors are not interesting factions.

I think all 4 of these factions, plus Oceanside and The Dump, could actually be very interesting. The writing team is just incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They missed a good opportunity to have that sign say Uneeda Medical Supply.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Why did Sani Toksvig turn up to give out information

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Randandal posted:

I think all 4 of these factions, plus Oceanside and The Dump, could actually be very interesting. The writing team is just incompetent.

i mean again the idea of faction conflict is a good one to go to following quite a long time of surviving on the road drama, but i can only judge in the context written both by kirkman and the show. what actually differentiates the main three good guys different from each other or makes the people and conflict at all interesting beyond violence, even if it wasn’t written and paced on tv by idiots? the good guy groups are largely generic interchangeable people trying to farm or whatever, and the saviors are meanie extorting mustache twirlers. so the drama should maybe lie in the leaders relationships with each other and the bad guys, but there’s not enough personality in the leaders and barely any drama beyond “yes we have to win for the future”. only Gregory breaks the mold in stalling the inevitable alliance, and he’s just a big cartoon coward that couldn’t be more broadly written if he literally pissed his pants every scene.

Oceanside is definitely a more interesting idea for a community that wasn’t really handled well i guess, and trash crew as stated numerous times was stupid and made no sense even with the “we were all playing pretend” reveal, and got way way too much screen time

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Princeps32 posted:

i mean again the idea of faction conflict is a good one to go to following quite a long time of surviving on the road drama, but i can only judge in the context written both by kirkman and the show. what actually differentiates the main three good guys different from each other or makes the people and conflict at all interesting beyond violence, even if it wasn’t written and paced on tv by idiots? the good guy groups are largely generic interchangeable people trying to farm or whatever, and the saviors are meanie extorting mustache twirlers. so the drama should maybe lie in the leaders relationships with each other and the bad guys, but there’s not enough personality in the leaders and barely any drama beyond “yes we have to win for the future”. only Gregory breaks the mold in stalling the inevitable alliance, and he’s just a big cartoon coward that couldn’t be more broadly written if he literally pissed his pants every scene.

Oceanside is definitely a more interesting idea for a community that wasn’t really handled well i guess, and trash crew as stated numerous times was stupid and made no sense even with the “we were all playing pretend” reveal, and got way way too much screen time

"We were all playing pretend" is an obvious retcon when the gimmick got called out too many times for being overtly stupid.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I see your "dumbest Walking Dead car crash" and raise you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlgtFDFCeIg

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I seriously can't get over the fact that every action he took and everything Rick said only works if Rick read the script to know there's problems with the Savior power structure.

CODChimera posted:

This show really just can't do vehicles at all.

That car chase (like the previous one) is trying to be Fury Road with the angles/zoom. Watch it again, then watch Fury Road and you'll see it. It's just doing really loving badly, like "Youtuber's first Fury Road fan film."

Seriously. If I had one animated GIF request of the mighty Moist Turtleneck it might be all of the "zoom in on Rick, Negan or the Jeep Guy's face (from the 50 cal chase) and mix it with the same shots, done way better, in Fury Road. It's clear what they're trying to do.

That said there's zero question that both Immortan Joe and Lord Humongous are better warlords than Negan.

PS: It doesn't help when Rick's beat to poo poo truck is easily, easily outrunning Negan on a clear straight road while he's in a pretty decent sports car.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 21, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can probably do that this weekend but I have an issue where I can't stop watching Fury Road once I've started

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Blazing Ownager posted:

I seriously can't get over the fact that every action he took and everything Rick said only works if Rick read the script to know there's problems with the Savior power structure.

That car chase (like the previous one) is trying to be Fury Road with the angles/zoom. Watch it again, then watch Fury Road and you'll see it. It's just doing really loving badly, like "Youtuber's first Fury Road fan film."

Seriously. If I had one animated GIF request of the mighty Moist Turtleneck it might be all of the "zoom in on Rick, Negan or the Jeep Guy's face (from the 50 cal chase) and mix it with the same shots, done way better, in Fury Road. It's clear what they're trying to do.

That said there's zero question that both Immortan Joe and Lord Humongous are better warlords than Negan.

PS: It doesn't help when Rick's beat to poo poo truck is easily, easily outrunning Negan on a clear straight road while he's in a pretty decent sports car.

To be fair, Negan's car was only going about 20mph so that beat to poo poo truck should've had no difficulty keeping up.

I like the little microswerves they were doing to make it look like they were NOT going 20mph.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Bar shootout scene was legit tense. “I hear Nebraska’s nice.” The opening to season two with what felt like 20 minutes of non-stop zombie herd no ads with Andrea in the motor home bathroom was great. I remember knuckling through that.

Dale was awesome. Fave character still. RIP Dale. Shane plot line should have developed over 3-4 seasons, not 2.

The loving well zombie I think was the beginning of the end. But there are so many candidates.

Someone go back on Netflix and count how times Herschel shoots his shotgun without reloading. It is hilarious. It’s like 30.

The governor was always hokey to me. The show in season 1 and season 2 has a lot more exploration and world building. Since then it is just bad guy after bad guy, each bigger and badder.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stickarts posted:

Bar shootout scene was legit tense. “I hear Nebraska’s nice.” The opening to season two with what felt like 20 minutes of non-stop zombie herd no ads with Andrea in the motor home bathroom was great. I remember knuckling through that.
[/quote[

Agreed on the bar shoot out but.. that opening horde was weak as hell. It showed up out of nowhere and looked like trash.

This scene is also Walking Dead's biggest plot hole bar none (though they could make it part of the plot if they were clever.. they're not clever): The highway graveyard. All the people who died in their cars.. but didn't turn into zombies. It's not even clear why they died in their cars.

To me that opens a wide open door for a plot line where they can find the gas that did that and use it to put down walkers en mass. But they, again, are not clever.

[quote="Stickarts" post="482395103"]
The governor was always hokey to me. The show in season 1 and season 2 has a lot more exploration and world building. Since then it is just bad guy after bad guy, each bigger and badder.

More like erratic.

He never had a single personality, it went all over, as did his capabilities. That 2 episode redemption arc he went on suddenly went upside down when suddenly "Bam, evil again" instead of being any kind of tragic full circle. Random as gently caress.

ED: Also the hilarious 'mow down the ENTIRE TOWN with a rifle and one clip of bullets, with one eye one handed' and 'beat the poo poo out of loving Merle' scenes made him so loving funny

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Stickarts posted:

As stupid as S2 was (but I forgive it bc they booted Darabont, doubled the eps and slashed the budget) holy crow the Shane and Otis bits were legit tense.

After that it just got to be ‘hello, I’m important whoops I died!’

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Stickarts posted:

Someone go back on Netflix and count how times Herschel shoots his shotgun without reloading. It is hilarious. It’s like 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P224BTri7RQ

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDbi7P93Np8 video yet?

Seriously you will understand so much more of the bullshit in AMC's mindset once you do.

I remember Matthew Weiner being extremely irritated with them about Mad Men; he basically threatened to walk unless they allowed him to do it properly.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also why is Rick's shitmobile truck easily outrunning Negan's kind of sporty car so easily in this The Slow & The Annoyed sequel?

Probably AMC's way of showing that his car was damaged from the hit, you know, instead of showing actual damage. Someone hits you right in the rear wheel area like that and it's gonna gently caress a bunch of poo poo up, but all there was to show was a slight dent, sort of

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Blazing Ownager posted:

I want Simon to kill the Hilltop, kill Negan, kill Rick and this to become the Simon Show.

Seriously he's the best character.

He reminds me of Steven Keaton from Family Ties if he went Mad Max

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

moist turtleneck posted:

I forgot, didn't Shane accidentally break that one dude's neck after the dude miraculously recovered after he impaled his leg on a fence gate?

And he tried to hide it from Rick when they were looking for Lizzie together?

God season 2 was bad

Remember when Andrea shot Darryl because she was really proud of her sniper skills?

Nah, Shane did it on purpose because he always wanted to kill him. Rick was in that "we don't want to be them" stage

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SocketWrench posted:

He reminds me of Steven Keaton from Family Ties if he went Mad Max

I would be entirely okay with this being canon with the Family Ties universe, who have turned into ruthless warlords.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Too bad Shane couldn’t end up being Negan after just leaving at season 2. It wouldn’t have been the worst twist the show as done.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bobjr posted:

Too bad Shane couldn’t end up being Negan after just leaving at season 2. It wouldn’t have been the worst twist the show as done.

I wouldn't do that to the actor. He's got better poo poo to do.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wouldn't do that to the actor. He's got better poo poo to do.

Like make the best Netflix marvel show.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Lol

But yea, season 1 was legitimately good tv. It was a nuanced and articulate take on what had been before that b-movie filler. Lots of emotion and compelling character development. Believable actions and motivations. Range. Then Darabont got canned and why am I still here 7 years later? Because I am and a always will be a sucker for zombie genre. That first season is literary zombie fiction.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I do wonder what YMS would have made of later seasons, seeing as the show only got much worse.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As far as bad shows I would still put Walking Dead over the last two seasons of X-Files.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Sulman posted:

I do wonder what YMS would have made of later seasons, seeing as the show only got much worse.

Yeah, watching that all of his complaints about the show just continued to get worse. He saw a lot of the cracks early on, it's just all of that times ten now. Wonder what he would've thought knowing the show would still be trucking along after 5 more years...

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TSDF Q&A Episode 8.13 “Do Not Send Us Astray”

Figures that they'd shitcan one of the only remaining Alexandrians aside from Aaron that let you know the town had people before Rick's crew arrived and that Carol's conversations are still only ever about the "should we kill/should we not kill, I am so tired of the killing" "but we have to rise up and defend ourselves and kill" thing. In this comics, the equivalent scene is Dwight shooting Rick in the stomach with a crossbow arrow, which he lied to Negan is tainted, and this sounds so much worse than that.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 23, 2018

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
You know, watching the Season 8, Episode 4 car chase scene again...it's actually not as bad as I remembered. There were definitely moments that were bad, but looking back on it now, in a vacuum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRMzQk7MzSs

I love the soundtrack here. And while the vehicles did seem unusually slow back when I first watched it, it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Rick doesn't want the savior guy crashing his truck into his own car, and knocking him off the road. Savior guy, for his part, is watching for his opportunity to do just that.

So, Savior guy, figuring out that neither Rick nor Daryl seem to have much in the way of firearms, intentionally slows down so he and his machine-gun buddy can exterminate the two. When machine gun guy gets killed, he slows down again, hoping that Rick will be dumb enough to try and pass him. Rick sees that coming, and starts pumping the brakes on 1:50 (which is why Rick's brake lights keep coming on and off in said time stamp).

Then...I dunno. Savior guy kind of spaces out, misses the opportunity to run Rick off the road when Rick DOES finally drive up to his side, and Rick...somehow manages to keep his car at the EXACT same speed his is, while making a jump that I'm not sure should even be possible, given how physics work. So, that was pretty stupid.

Still...I think the scene makes a lot more sense when you realize "wait a minute, the saviors aren't TRYING to escape from Rick and Daryl. They're trying to exterminate them". What do you guys thing?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 23, 2018

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Sorry, Gimple it still doesn't work

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

Have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDbi7P93Np8 video yet?

Seriously you will understand so much more of the bullshit in AMC's mindset once you do.

Holy poo poo! They had a hit on their hands so they decreased the budget for season 2, and demanded more episodes for that season.

What the gently caress?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Human Crouton posted:

Holy poo poo! They had a hit on their hands so they decreased the budget for season 2, and demanded more episodes for that season.

What the gently caress?

at one point they wondered if they could really save on the budget by keeping all the zombies off-screen and only showing the characters reacting to the growling

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

What the gently caress?

Greed and stupidity. It's always some ratio of those, answering these "what the gently caress were they thinking" questions.

Like, imagine if they hadn't mistreated the show. Imagine if they'd gone with the attitude of let's use our budget to make the show the best it can possibly be, rather than the cheapest. With how TWD exploded in popularity as it was, can you imagine how it would've been if the quality had remained consistent, or improved, to this day? It would've been a calculated risk, yes, but can you imagine the sheer size of the cultural behemoth they'd have on their hands right now, instead of the struggling mess they're trying to rescue? Not to mention they'd presumably be able to charge a lot more for ads if they had kept the viewership consistently more than what it was in it's heyday.

But no, they had to be shortsighted, stupid and greedy didn't they, and as a predictable result they, and we, ended up with less. And that's frustrating human behaviour when you see it happen anywhere, but especially so when it's with something you are or were once invested in.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

bobjr posted:

Certainly would have been better than "Hey, it's that latino dude from S1."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fionordequester posted:

You know, watching the Season 8, Episode 4 car chase scene again...it's actually not as bad as I remembered. There were definitely moments that were bad, but looking back on it now, in a vacuum...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRMzQk7MzSs

I love the soundtrack here. And while the vehicles did seem unusually slow back when I first watched it, it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Rick doesn't want the savior guy crashing his truck into his own car, and knocking him off the road. Savior guy, for his part, is watching for his opportunity to do just that.

So, Savior guy, figuring out that neither Rick nor Daryl seem to have much in the way of firearms, intentionally slows down so he and his machine-gun buddy can exterminate the two. When machine gun guy gets killed, he slows down again, hoping that Rick will be dumb enough to try and pass him. Rick sees that coming, and starts pumping the brakes on 1:50 (which is why Rick's brake lights keep coming on and off in said time stamp).

Then...I dunno. Savior guy kind of spaces out, misses the opportunity to run Rick off the road when Rick DOES finally drive up to his side, and Rick...somehow manages to keep his car at the EXACT same speed his is, while making a jump that I'm not sure should even be possible, given how physics work. So, that was pretty stupid.

Still...I think the scene makes a lot more sense when you realize "wait a minute, the saviors aren't TRYING to escape from Rick and Daryl. They're trying to exterminate them". What do you guys thing?

That scene sucks for the very point that a fifty cal hit's the jeep multiple times and at best pops the radiator once (seriously, it didn't even nick the windshield when it hit, for christ's sake). That thing would shred a vehicle at that range, not to mention not completely miss it when traveling in a straight line.

Why in the gently caress is everyone after those .50's when all they can do is the same or less damage than a loving .22.

I hate being a sperg about this, but goddammit, this is just goddamned stupid. Everyone wants the gun with the power of a spitwad

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 24, 2018

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

Certainly would have been better than "Hey, it's that latino dude from S1."

Isn't that just a re-hash of a thing they did before anyway? That couple rick and carol met when rick was exiling her, the guy showed up a few seasons later in the cannibal's pig trough as a redshirt to get his neck slit instead of glen?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, but the hosed up thing is that it worked: here they are years later, still slashing budgets and at this point just churning out literal poo poo and it is still the highest rated show by any measure in its timeslot.
:rip:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Cactus posted:

Greed and stupidity. It's always some ratio of those, answering these "what the gently caress were they thinking" questions.

Like, imagine if they hadn't mistreated the show. Imagine if they'd gone with the attitude of let's use our budget to make the show the best it can possibly be, rather than the cheapest. With how TWD exploded in popularity as it was, can you imagine how it would've been if the quality had remained consistent, or improved, to this day? It would've been a calculated risk, yes, but can you imagine the sheer size of the cultural behemoth they'd have on their hands right now, instead of the struggling mess they're trying to rescue? Not to mention they'd presumably be able to charge a lot more for ads if they had kept the viewership consistently more than what it was in it's heyday.

But no, they had to be shortsighted, stupid and greedy didn't they, and as a predictable result they, and we, ended up with less. And that's frustrating human behaviour when you see it happen anywhere, but especially so when it's with something you are or were once invested in.

I agree, capitalism does ruin everything.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Cactus posted:

Basically what Game of Thrones did.

Even the last two seasons that a lot of people complained about. The showrunners may not be able to write the same quality of story without source material but goddamn are they compensating for it everywhere else.

galenanorth posted:

at one point they wondered if they could really save on the budget by keeping all the zombies off-screen and only showing the characters reacting to the growling
That's essentially what they did try with Fear. I'm pretty convinced that that show started out as an experiment to see exactly how cheap they could go with The Walking Dead franchise and still have a watchable show, without putting the *actual* Walking Dead at risk. When you look at the budget and time allotted for filming of FTWD season 2 compared to TWD season 7 it's pretty sad and makes me feel bad for everyone involved in the show. I'm glad the execs/producers seem to be taking it more seriously though now since S3.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Fionordequester posted:

What happened? Like, for those who have stuck around for a long time...where did the turning point come? People analyze the Simpsons, trying to analyze when it "jumped the shark", or started to deteriorate...so what about with Walking Dead? What went wrong, and why? Which hiring decision ended up biting them in the butt?

For me I think the show's quality started degrading after the episode where Tyreese died midpoint season 5. It was the first episode where a main character dying spent almost the entire episode focused around the slow-paced introspection of it. It was really well-received at the time, but seemed to start a trend of overt melodrama that's carried over to the present. Carl's death episode felt like a poorly done ripoff of Tyreese's sendoff, complete with also being the midseason premier three years later.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
My moment was the prison. I mean yeah, they'd done dumb things before, and season two was some levels of retardation that were just there to make the plot work but outside that had no reason to happen. But then season three they came in like they were bad rear end mofos and then the show poo poo itself, everyone went retarded and the writers started getting lazy with their "ho hum, this happens because we want it to, now what nonsensical thing can we do to fit it in?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SocketWrench posted:

That scene sucks for the very point that a fifty cal hit's the jeep multiple times and at best pops the radiator once (seriously, it didn't even nick the windshield when it hit, for christ's sake). That thing would shred a vehicle at that range, not to mention not completely miss it when traveling in a straight line.

Why in the gently caress is everyone after those .50's when all they can do is the same or less damage than a loving .22.

I hate being a sperg about this, but goddammit, this is just goddamned stupid. Everyone wants the gun with the power of a spitwad

What makes this go above and beyond normal gun sperging is the fact the beginning of the episode opens showing how a .50 cal can just MAUL things. Then they unload on a tiny jeep with a similar effect of shooting a BB gun.

It's not really gun sperging, it's more "We have established X does Y until X is shot at a main character. Then it does only two things: Jack and poo poo."

SocketWrench posted:

My moment was the prison. I mean yeah, they'd done dumb things before, and season two was some levels of retardation that were just there to make the plot work but outside that had no reason to happen. But then season three they came in like they were bad rear end mofos and then the show poo poo itself, everyone went retarded and the writers started getting lazy with their "ho hum, this happens because we want it to, now what nonsensical thing can we do to fit it in?"

Nah, the prison was a brief bright spot in the show's history, before the COMPLETELY inconsistent Governor showed up. I'd argue the episodes of them taking the prison were the best the show has been since Season 1, even now. That said Season 2 is where things already jumped the shark, so it started early, by stretching 2 issues of a comic into like 12 for AMC's bullshit. There is a good 3 episode run there if you edited it down.

I miss fan edits not being cracked down on so hard. I bet you anything I could make a wildly entertaining and logical version of Walking Dead by cutting every season down to 3-6 episodes.

Hell I bet I could make the last 3 seasons into a really good 12 episode season.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 24, 2018