Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

fadam posted:

Okay, so it might be boring but I'll be able to make a playable board just using cubes.

Yep. Essentially it boils down to "Whatever you and your opponent agree on" when it comes to what counts as cover and what elevation things are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

fadam posted:

Okay, so it might be boring but I'll be able to make a playable board just using cubes.

You could do that, or you could make a modular Battle of Jakuu table with the bulk of the table taken up by an overturned, smoldering AT-AT and crashed starfighters for the guys to clamber over. :colbert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Gonna get a white yoga mat and call it Hoth

e: or crait

Just cover the playing area in table salt.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Just cover the playing area in table salt.

Or cocaine.

This Etsy shop has some cool stuff, and pretty cheap. I like that tower!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Panhandle3dPrinting

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Battle of Cocrait

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

You could do that, or you could make a modular Battle of Jakuu table with the bulk of the table taken up by an overturned, smoldering AT-AT and crashed starfighters for the guys to clamber over. :colbert:

I've played like several hundred games of Warmachine using circles of green and brown foam to represent hills and forests so my imagination is so rawly powerful I probably don't even need to buy minis to play with.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
i was going to experiment using lego to create terrain before actually committing to building anything. I have a handful of star wars sets in the lego tub and the scales seems comparable

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Is there a .stl file yet of a heavy cover barricade of Ewok bodies piled up as sandbags?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm just going to use 2 X-Wing mats to make my 6x3 until a find a 6x3 mat dirt cheap

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Raged posted:

I'm just going to use 2 X-Wing mats to make my 6x3 until a find a 6x3 mat dirt cheap

Put little bubble helmets on the rebels and say everyone.has jetpacks. A literal starwar.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not Jakku, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_OCQJjx4Z8

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That owns.

Being able to do stuff like that is half the reason to play this, IMO.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Thank god for the terrain rules. It would be impossible to play on that table with speeder bikes or t-47s. Heck you would not get a range 3 shot

head58
Apr 1, 2013

My only issue with using mats for this game, aside from the ffg ones looking like garbage, is I don’t have a 6 foot long table. Even with pink foam boards I’m sure my cat will jump up on the overhang and flip it over within a week.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

head58 posted:

My only issue with using mats for this game, aside from the ffg ones looking like garbage, is I don’t have a 6 foot long table. Even with pink foam boards I’m sure my cat will jump up on the overhang and flip it over within a week.

A 6' folding table can be had for under forty bucks, and stores away pretty well when you're not playing with your dolls again.

E: True, you may have to smush 2 together, especially since you'll probably want a zone off the actual play area to keep all your dice and cards and casualties and crap. Still $80-$100 so you can play with your $300 worth of Star Wars action figures and terrain (not to mention having a handy play table for whatever other tabletopping you do) seems like a reasonable hobby expense.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 20, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, Costco usually has the 6' folding tables for $50 or so, and they fold down in half to be almost square. Problem is they're never wide enough, the usual size is 30 inches which is not quite 3 feet.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, Costco usually has the 6' folding tables for $50 or so, and they fold down in half to be almost square. Problem is they're never wide enough, the usual size is 30 inches which is not quite 3 feet.

For X-Wing/Armada we just find some plywood and cut a board the size we need and set it on top of the table. Heck it works on my coffee table.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

For X-Wing/Armada we just find some plywood and cut a board the size we need and set it on top of the table. Heck it works on my coffee table.

Yeah, a friend of mine made a bunch of table toppers for X-Wing for his friend who owns a store here. He has a bunch of card tables in his store for Magic, and the topper he built was a plywood top with boards parallel to the tables to hug the edges of the card table and keep them from shifting.

Or you can just do what I did and buy a humungous table (3.5 feet by 9.5 feet whatuppppppp)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Here is another shop in a larger city in Australia. One of three in Canberra and it's just part of the stock they got in.

Fuuuuck I need my crack hit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Picked up a few more loose Action Fleet ships for set dressing. Would highly recommend if you can get them cheap. Only quibble is esp. at 35mm the Y-Wing will probably look off so maybe skip that one:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That Y-Wing isn't too bad actually and with a decent paint job I'm sure it would look cool.

I mean the scale of that AT-AT walker in the video above is way off and absolutely nobody seems to mind or really even care.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Picked up a few more loose Action Fleet ships for set dressing. Would highly recommend if you can get them cheap. Only quibble is esp. at 35mm the Y-Wing will probably look off so maybe skip that one:

:aaa: I had some of those toys! They were so nifty. Though where do those paint job for the green A wing and Y wing come from ?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

:aaa: I had some of those toys! They were so nifty. Though where do those paint job for the green A wing and Y wing come from ?

Off the shelf variants, believe it or not. The a-wings I just picked up together in a lot. I bet the guy would be mortified I pulled them right out of the sealed boxes.

I did add the blod striping to the interceptor a while back.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Happy day!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Any of you reprobates at Adepticon?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I was able to put together my 3 squads of Rebel Troopers last night and put them on their bases. Except for 3-4 everything fit together really well and I just had to trim the arm pegs on the ones that did not quite fit right.

You really can just snap everything together and be up and playing within 30-45 minutes. Just have to Blue Tac or super glue them to the bases.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Am I better off buying two starters or one and filling other stuff in? Not sure on what upgrade cards may or may not be in the starter that are in the trooper boxes. I did read that in true FFG fashion, there aren't enough dice in the box.

Sorry for the stupid question.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

shoplifter posted:

Am I better off buying two starters or one and filling other stuff in? Not sure on what upgrade cards may or may not be in the starter that are in the trooper boxes. I did read that in true FFG fashion, there aren't enough dice in the box.

Sorry for the stupid question.

The infantry boxes come with upgrade cards for Grappling Hooks (probably useless) and Impact Grenades (might be good) that don't come in the starter set.

These upgrade cards are also going to be available in the Fleet Trooper and Snow Trooper boxes.

I'm not sure if the AT-RT or Bike boxes come up cards that aren't in the starter set, but probably.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
Yeah they come with long range comms and comms jammer; only one of which is in the core set

Maybe take a look at the upgrades; you might not care in which case 2x cores sets is a better deal no question

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

Any of you reprobates at Adepticon?

I am. I’m playing in the Boxset Skirmish AT THIS VERY MOMENT. I’ve also got the team event Saturday.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
If the rules aren't great porting the minis over to Gates of Antares would be fairly easy. Hmmm.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Raged posted:

You really can just snap everything together and be up and playing within 30-45 minutes. Just have to Blue Tac or super glue them to the bases.

I’ve just spent the past 3 hours cleaning mold lines off the 2 units of Stormtroopers so ymmv.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

head58 posted:

I’ve just spent the past 3 hours cleaning mold lines off the 2 units of Stormtroopers so ymmv.

I haven't worked with miniatures in years and probably missed the mood lines. Will double check before I prime next week.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are ImpAss models the right size for Legion?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Are ImpAss models the right size for Legion?

No

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Some of these rebel trooper models are terrible quality and will require some molding at the shoulders, but it's only one or two per box so that isn't the total worst I guess. Vehicles have been nice and easy to build.

e; Also the plastic is literal garbage. So be careful with cleaning.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 23, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Does the plastic need a scrub before assembly?

And I found an AT-ST for less than £30 on ebay and bought it, so I know I am starting to slip down the rabbit hole.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Thundercloud posted:

And I found an AT-ST for less than £30 on ebay and bought it, so I know I am starting to slip down the rabbit hole.

... Is it for Imperial Assault?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I wil be doing things at Adepticon, in a possum shirt and blue hoodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Ugleb posted:

... Is it for Imperial Assault?

Well it's the legion box, so I bloody hope not.