Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who is ready to pay more taxes!

ABC posted:

Online shopping tax of up to $7 per package for overseas purchases under consideration

Online shoppers could be slugged up to $7 more per package when buying products from overseas, under a Federal Government proposal.

The Home Affairs Department is considering whether every package imported into Australia should be hit with a new levy, to help cover the costs of screening items at the border.

The tax already applies for packages worth more than $1,000, but the Government's plan would see shoppers have to shell out the extra charge for all overseas purchases.

The ABC understands a tax of between $2 and $7 has been considered.

Nearly 40 million of the "low value" parcels arrived in Australia last financial year — roughly two per person.

A discussion paper on the proposed tax argued the levy was needed to recover costs associated with biosecurity, cargo and trade border activities.

"Existing cost recovery arrangements are no longer sustainable and will not support Australia's future trading environment," it stated.

Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm said the tax was unnecessary.

"This Government seems to have an endless capacity to come up with new taxes and increase existing taxes," he said.

"We're already extremely highly taxed and I despair at the idea that we'll ever end up with any of our own money in our own pockets.

"It's just terrible."

The levy would come on top of a new GST charge, which will be added to imported products from July 1, 2018.

The 10 per cent goods and services tax will also apply to purchases under $1,000.

A levy on overseas packages to help fund border force!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
tbh even a $7 charge would not be enough to make me shell out for ridiculous prices here on some items

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Hmm should we stop gouging Australians? Nah gently caress that. Lets just jack up the prices from shopping overseas even more, that'll teach them for shopping overseas because we've cut their wages so much.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Remember when the libs removed the import duties on everything under Howard? Good times.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

drunkill posted:

Hundreds of the submarine jobs are about to be going from SA to WA apparently. They kept that nice and quiet until after the election.

https://twitter.com/peterdujean/status/976307211268861952

Lol. Spread the love.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Marshall has put out info on his governments first actions. These ones stand out:

quote:

Initiate full conditions assessment of Housing SA properties to support strategic asset management plan

Sounds like politician speak for "figuring out how much we can sell off".

quote:

Prepare and introduce legislation to implement the war on drugs program

Oh good, Nixon era policy for the SA of the 21st century.

quote:

Together we will make South Australia strong and respected again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Oh look forward to sniffer dogs everywhere just like here in NSW. That's seems to be the LNP war on drugs policy, spend a shitload for very little positive effect. Unless that effect is funneling money to their donors.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I see the Ministry for Harvey Norman are coming up with brilliant ideas.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dimebag posted:

Oh look forward to sniffer dogs everywhere just like here in NSW. That's seems to be the LNP war on drugs policy, spend a shitload for very little positive effect. Unless that effect is funneling money to their donors.

During the Fringe the police had sniffer dogs down near the Garden of Unearthly Delights which is as close to shooting fish in a barrel as you can get. Look forward to them being all around all the time.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Dimebag posted:

Unless that effect is funneling money to their donors.
I think you're overestimating how competent the SA Liberals are at corruption.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Dimebag posted:

Welcome to the new normal. Armed police with attack dogs. This is necessary because FFFFFFAAAAAAAARRRRRTT :hitler:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

PTO with attack dogs and assault rifles when?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I don't know who's trolling who anymore.

quote:

South Africa risks food shortages if white farmers go to Australia, Nationals MP says

The Australian home affairs minister’s plan to fast-track visas for white South African farmers has been undermined by a government MP who has warned it could create food shortages.

The Nationals MP Andrew Broad – a wheat and sheep farmer before he entered federal parliament – has publicly undermined Peter Dutton’s call to give the farmers “special attention” for immigration to Australia.

Dutton’s comments have prompted fury from the South African government, accusations of racism from the Greens and have been rejected by other ministers such as Julie Bishop and Mathias Cormann, who have noted the non-discriminatory nature of the humanitarian visa program.

On Thursday, Broad – who travelled to South Africa during his four-year tenure as president of the Victorian Farmers Federation – told the ABC’s AM: “If we take away the farmers in South Africa, we rob them of the capacity to farm that ground and feed the population.

“The black South African farmers certainly have not proved themselves. They need the skill set of the white South African farmers if they’re going to have any chance of feeding the population that they’ve got.”

Academic studies of land reform provide some support for Broad’s position with experts suggesting productive redistribution has been hampered by inadequate post-settlement support, lack of skills, poor planning and infighting within communities.

Dutton’s claims that white South African farmers are persecuted have been denied by the South African government and debunked by experts including Gareth Newham at the Institute for Security Studies.

Newham said: “In fact, young black males living in poor urban areas like Khayelitsha and Lange face a far greater risk of being murdered. The murder rate there is between 200 and 300 murders per 100,000 people.”

The highest estimates of farm murders stand at 133 per 100,000 people, and that includes both black and white murder victims.

A fact-checking organisation, Africa Check, suggested in a detailed report on the subject of farm murders in general – not just of white farmers – that another credible estimate of the farm murder rate could be as low as 0.4 murders per 100,000 people.

Broad said: “It’s always easy to speak in ignorance and it’s important be going over and having a look at what’s going on on the ground before making policy.”

The Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm – who used to live in South Africa and Zimbabwe – cited the example of Zimbabwe to warn against land redistribution.

He said black farmers “don’t know how to run the farms productively and produce food – not because they’re not capable of being productive farmers – but because it tends to be the cronies of the political elite that take over the farms and they don’t know how to farm”.

Dutton’s push to advantage white South African farmers has been supported by the former prime minister Tony Abbott, who has described the situation in South Africa as a “national crisis”.

But the foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, has warned Australia would be not be making special visa considerations for white South African farmers.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/22/south-africa-risks-food-shortages-if-white-farmers-go-to-australia-nationals-mp-says

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dimebag posted:

Unless that effect is funneling money to their donors.

LNP corruption funneling money into BIG DOG.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

LNP corruption funneling money into BIG DOG.

Some RTO has to train the dogs right? Big Dog alive and well, chewing on the femur of your tax dollars.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

"See, White Dudes farm like this:"

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/RobOakeshott1/status/976612806379253760?s=19

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/they-re-dead-to-me-peter-dutton-lashes-out-at-media-critics-over-white-farmers-20180322-p4z5m6.html

quote:

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has lashed out at his critics in the media, declaring the ABC and The Guardian are "dead to me" over their reporting of his views on South African refugees.
Mr Dutton stoked controversy by arguing for "special attention" in Australia's refugee program for white South African farmers, reportedly being persecuted and murdered at the rate of one a week.
He said they needed help from a "civilised country" like Australia, prompting outrage from the South African government, which demanded he retract and summoned Australia's High Commissioner for urgent talks.
There was apparent division within the Turnbull government too, as Foreign Minister Julie Bishop talked down the idea of a special program for white South African farmers.
But Mr Dutton on Thursday said there was no conflict between himself and Ms Bishop, arguing it was actually confected outrage by "crazy lefties" at media outlets who were peddling "fake news".
"The ABC and others report these things how they want to report them and how they want to interpret them," he told 2GB radio.
"There's lots of outrage. Some of the crazy lefties at the ABC and on The Guardian, Huffington Post, express concern and draw mean cartoons about me and all the rest of it."
"They don't realise how completely dead they are to me. So we just get on with making decisions that we need to."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't wait until this gently caress brain is in opposition saying this insane poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

I can't wait until this gently caress brain is in opposition saying this insane poo poo.

I can't wait for him to get booted from his seat at the next election.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
lol dutton is shook

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
what is this trump poo poo. he knows prime minister is not president right and they can turf him when the polls poo poo the bed

EDIT: hey, abbott was prime minister once it could happen!

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 22, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

I can't wait for him to get booted from his seat at the next election.

They've imported a shitload of racists into his electorate though.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

JBP posted:

They've imported a shitload of racists into his electorate though.

the racists were transported under a different government

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
2 white farmers a week are killed: loving EVACUATE SOUTH AFRICA BRING THEM ALL HERE gently caress HURRY

2 women in Australia a week are killed by domestic violence: *cuts funding to womens refuges and social services*

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

I can't wait for him to become prime minister at the next election.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

bell jar posted:

What is your objection to letting anyone come here

Economic and social disruption. Obviously. What the hell kind of idiotic question is this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

the racists were transported under a different government

The boundaries moved in 2017

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Of course most people would like to live in a world where the population can move freely across borders but if you think you can just flip a switch and have that be a reality without problems in a world subject to massive economic inequality as well as seriously fragmented cultural attitudes towards cosmopolitanism you live in a loving fantasy.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

bell jar posted:

"sorry mate, know you want to come here to our country and we'd love to have you, but we have to arbitrarily restrict our intake of refugees because of reasons"

Hurrrrrrr. DURRRRRRRRRRR

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If Australia introduced free borders tomorrow I would have more gig economy slaves than I knew what to do with.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JBP posted:

If Australia introduced free borders tomorrow I would have more gig economy slaves than I knew what to do with.

Actually, you loving racist, nothing bad would happen at all and you should shut your mouth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amethyst posted:

Actually, you loving racist, nothing bad would happen at all and you should shut your mouth.

Don't @ me we aren't friends.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JBP posted:

Don't @ me we aren't friends.

Your friends are a group of morons whom I would be ashamed to keep company with.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Economic and social disruption. Obviously. What the hell kind of idiotic question is this.

Can you point to or describe the effects of the disruption you describe or are you happy to hide behind your "self evident" economics

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Just eat the loving cheese.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

we should arbitrarily detain human beings who choose to arrive here on hell island because:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

it's the vibe, its our social destabilisation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

bell jar posted:

Can you point to or describe the effects of the disruption you describe or are you happy to hide behind your "self evident" economics

Israel.

• Locked thread