Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Wyrd continues to bat a thousand with their alt sculpts: https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2018/3/20/march-newsletter

Not sure I'll get Ralphy Viks, but definitely grabbing Slop Ross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Only thing holding me back is that they're in metal instead of the normal plastics.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

It is a shame, yeah. Nathan explained that they basically have their plastics people working overtime, so metal was the way to go: http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/135176-march-newsletter/?do=findComment&comment=1087015

Also good to see they still have Backdraft and Gwyneth on track for April even if Undying slipped. This - this will be the release that makes 10T Brewie great!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Does anyone here play the Through the Breech RPG? I love the setting, so I am wondering how it plays. Using cards is great, it was my favorite thing about Malifaux initially.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's alright, depends really on what game you're coming from. It's kind of on the Deadlands/White Wolf crunch level for mechanics if that's your thing. I'm trying to put something together but running into the normal issue with games like these. How do you write a player level story that touches on the big events without feeling railrodey since most are resolved by the main skirmish characters while not coming off as fan-fictiony? Best I can get so far is super background stuff like delivering the artificial soul stone to Ramos in time for him to destroy Nythera. I really don't want to set up existing Masters as villains since it feels kind of gamey to always have them run away and survive last minute.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Game's pretty fun, though I haven't done too much with it - only participated in the TtB campaign for Nythera, and will be participating in the upcoming one - so all about the precon characters. I think it's worth a try if you can gather local interest.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's alright, depends really on what game you're coming from. It's kind of on the Deadlands/White Wolf crunch level for mechanics if that's your thing. I'm trying to put something together but running into the normal issue with games like these. How do you write a player level story that touches on the big events without feeling railrodey since most are resolved by the main skirmish characters while not coming off as fan-fictiony? Best I can get so far is super background stuff like delivering the artificial soul stone to Ramos in time for him to destroy Nythera. I really don't want to set up existing Masters as villains since it feels kind of gamey to always have them run away and survive last minute.

Maybe have not directly linked but peripheral situations where the player characters have the chance to do stuff that doesn't interfere with the main plotline? Like for when Mei Feng and the Governor went super-saiyan at each other, maybe on the edge of the crowd a contingent of Guardsmen went toe-to-toe with protestors. The player characters could side with the Guardsmen, let the fight resolve by itself, side with the protestors, or take advantage of the commotion to sneak into a nearby building to steal stuff. Then that leads to a situation after the main NPCs characters leave where the town is tense. Maybe the Guardsmen were massacred and now the Guild has imposed martial law. Maybe the protestors were massacred and now there's bombs going off in Guild-associated buildings. Maybe it was inconclusive and now the town is on edge but it's not as bad as if one side was wiped out. You participate in the event and your choices have long-lasting impacts, but it doesn't interfere with the storyline proper. Then extend to other events.

Nicodem assault on the city of Malifaux? Apply the same to the 10T or Guild vs Rezzer lines, except maybe your characters got paid off to make sure that certain supplies didn't reach either line, or they have to go find, by hook or crook, supplies for those lines. The result is the same, but maybe something is a little further in favor of Guild control, or in favor of loss of Guild control, or in favor of 10T gain, at the end.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I kinda just want to do stories about what life in this other world would be like, not really stuff about hanging out with my favorite Masters. The city seems plenty big enough where the antagonists can be just some Witch Hunter or Death Marshal and not Sonia Criid or Lady Justice.

Is it still designed around telling a 10 Session story like it was in 1st edition? That always seemed like a good idea to give your campaign some focus.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Be forewarned that if your group includes them, players prone to optimization can snap the game in half over their knee with little time investment.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I've run and played a bunch of it. I like the second/revised edition a lot, but as ellbent says, it's possible to make some mechanical monsters in the system.

I usually pick a canon point of departure and then run the game from that point on without further consideration of ongoing canon, so one longrunning game slew "Hamelin" and sealed Plague away once more, while another ended up locking horns with Ramos and then killing him as the finale.

I think the setting has a lot of stuff to do in it that doesn't necessarily involved directly scrapping with canon characters, though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

bigass image dump incoming

so i decided to clear off my painting shelf a bit. some of these i bought recently, some i bought before i left for a year sabbatical in the virgin islands, some are years old. my lightbox is homemade and doesn't work great; the highlighting this close looks blocky, but i promise you it's a lot smoother when you're holding the minis in your hands.

death from above!

just noticed that paint stain on his jeans. i wanna redo them anyways, the drybrushing technique didn't come out like i wanted.

fear the skeeters!

and of course earl keeps it all shipshape

been practicing an orange hair technique which i like, so my gremlins are all ginger

every commander needs his First Mate

note: as his rank implies, if you try to square this guy up toe to toe with The Captain he gets demolished. fortunately, you have Leap!

go ahead, guess what that character says

wind, fire, all that kind of thing!

a magician is nothing without his assistant

a baton, a smile, and the second-best set of bazooms on the Bayou. trixiebell's on my painting table now.

and here's wong's second finest student

and his finest

you know what happens when you take two swine cursed, mctavish, and both Limited glowy upgrades? you have a really good time, that's what happens.

ok, these are pretty good too

gIt OfF mY pRoPeRtY

here's the cutest little terror

doesn't seem like there's room under there for the lead-lined apron she wears 100% of the time

part pig

part man

er, gremlin

ALL ASSKICKER

REE! *clank* REE! *clonk*

and here's the Pep Boys

manny

moe

jack

there's been an accident

we can rebuild him. we have the tech-mo-lo-jee

we can make him better than he was before.

or at least pointier. and drunker.

welcum to tha ba-yoo, laydees an' gennelman. enjoy yer stay.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
Do these special edition boxes ever come back? I really want the crazy cat lady Hamelin but am not willing to drop triple digits for it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

They used to be true limited editions but we've seen the more recent ones come back, making them more "sale limited editions". I would anticipate Crazy Cat Lady being available at Gencon, if not in grey plastic then at least in translucent/dayglow.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pyrolocutus posted:

They used to be true limited editions but we've seen the more recent ones come back, making them more "sale limited editions". I would anticipate Crazy Cat Lady being available at Gencon, if not in grey plastic then at least in translucent/dayglow.

Yeah, they usually show up during events. Wyrd usually even offers them online if you can't attend, at least for the bigger cons.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

And Black Friday sales usually bring all limited sets out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think they generally only print them once but they'll sell remaining stock in the black friday and easter sales.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Moon Monster posted:

I think they generally only print them once but they'll sell remaining stock in the black friday and easter sales.

Really? I kind of feel like they've silently switched to reprinting stuff.

For additional content, I took second at a tournament in St. Louis, which I'm pretty happy about since I haven't gotten out to play in a while. Ended up playing Titania/Lucius/Lilith and it was a ton of fun, though I was behind first place from the get-go as far as VP and differential goes. Currently putting together some Lampads. Not sure where they go but gonna try them with Rezzer Tara, and they should be easy enough to paint.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
One more annoying question.
I got an old Convict Gunslinger really cheap on eBay. Am I cool just using the digital card or do I need to find a way to get the 2E physical card too?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

I got an old Convict Gunslinger really cheap on eBay. Am I cool just using the digital card or do I need to find a way to get the 2E physical card too?

You should be good with any version of the 2E card. Unless you mean for a tournament or something? If so, ask the organizer to be sure but it should be cool.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New nightmare set is a real.... NIGHT MARE.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What are those even the nightmare versions of? Mah Tucket Crew?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Ulix apparently. Pigs into ponies and fancy dress guy is Ulix? Or the top Hat pony?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ugleb posted:

Ulix apparently. Pigs into ponies and fancy dress guy is Ulix? Or the top Hat pony?

Yup. Big pony as The Major, Bow-and-arrow guy as Ulix. Not sure what one is the the dog, though.

EDIT: I guess top hat pony is the dog, given that it is a bit smaller than the others.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pony-pult and 3 headed mare to complete the crew should be a laugh.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

You should also be able to find someone in your local scene who both bought the new convict gunslingers and purchased the first wave deck. I know I have gigantic amounts of superfluous cards.

And Ulix Horse crew with crazy horse girl gremlin is fun, but honestly I just wish they weren't so derpy. Weird fat horses aren't necessarily my cup of tea.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
This game rules. I traveled to a game store that's fairly far from home and am now gonna force it to be a thing at my more local store.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Gencon newsletter out, tons of new alt sculpts. Looks like I'm in for about $90 worth, so I'll grab a t-shirt and get the He-kome too :toot:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2018/7/16/gen-con-2018-newsletter

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I really like Tannen and Graves' true form revealed. I'm interested in seeing just how tall Ototo is when he is standing up.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Looks like M3E is announced:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2018/7/25/announcing-third-edition

From the faction page, looks like Nicodem, Ramos, Lilith, and Collodi are removed from the game.
Also many masters losing dual-faction and a few gaining it.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Forum says they'll have cards but not be tournament legal.

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/137139-third-edition-is-coming/

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
It says they'll be optionally legal, which strikes me as a bad place to be.
Excited otherwise, but I know a bunch of Guild McCabe players who are on the unhappy- to-pissed spectrum.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
"They'll be legal but won't be in tournaments" is dumb and is only going to serve to annoy a bunch of people. Taking two masters in a game is also not a good idea; 1e did this poorly and it was a bad idea overall, and I'm extremely suspicious about this working out properly this time around.

Releasing all cards at launch also sounds like it'd be a nightmare to balance and I expect a whole bunch of errata very quickly.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm interested, though I do feel for the people who got caught on the wrong side of the 10T split - I started 10T so it doesn't hurt as much for me, aside from Brewie. Still I have Zoraida and Ulix so Gremlins won't be an issue for me. Also interested to see if the dual faction masters can still hire cross-faction.

Still planning on my preorders, though the Arcanist vs Gremlins box is going to be a bit more limited for me than I expected with Brewie going to Gremlins.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

There's so much information that it's still digesting but it seems you will hire based on key words, though you can also draw from your faction for an extra cost. I signed up for the beta, I strongly urge people who are regularly playing to do so as well because Wyrd does pay attention to playtesting. I'm excited to play Dash as a master and I really like the look of the new Guild guy, too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

"They'll be legal but won't be in tournaments" is dumb and is only going to serve to annoy a bunch of people.
It means "we technically released rules but we don't give a gently caress about their balance, if it irks you go tweak them yourself".

Also, removing the most iconic masters? I'm torn between keeping the game for m2e casual games, or trimming the hell out of my collection.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I would argue that the most iconic Malifaux masters of all time are Seamus and Perdita and maybe the Viks, but that’s just me

I’m pumped for 3e. I already own Zipp and won Von Schill in a tournament so I might pick up outcasts. My biggest fear is Thematic Crews remind me of Theme Lists, which are a cancer in WM/H and a big reason the game’s suffering so much lately.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I'm assuming it would be more "it's cheaper for perdita to hire family than Guild robots" as opposed to "if you play Guild you must bring at least x and y but you get z for free"

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I can see it working in that you're not totally precluded unlike theme lists but it is an opportunity cost. That might give them some flexibility in balancing releases (if this is more powerful with a master outside of its theme, it costs more anyways) that doesn't rely on not being able to take stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

As someone who just recently started getting back into Malifaux a few months I am not sure how to feel about this. Getting started on a new edition is a good way to learn, but I sure do feel dumb as I look at my freshly bought and assembled Lilith crew if she is out of the game. I was afraid The Other Side would be what hosed up Wyrd but here we are.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
I literally just gifted my friend a Collodi box last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I literally just gifted my friend a Collodi box last week.

I bought a Misaki box last week for Outcasts. I don't have a single 10T unit. This game needs more dual faction masters not less. What the gently caress...