Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm a little worried about P5's adaptation because, well, A-1 and how their P4:The Golden Animation turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Highly Anticipating
Lupin 3
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
Wakaokami wa Shougakusei!

Anticipating, but less so
Golden Kamuy
FLCL
Hinamatsuri
Layton
Shiyan Pin Jiating
Uma Musume Pretty Derby
Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu

3 Ep Testing
Caligula
Comic Girls
Ladyspo
Nil Admirari no Tenbin
Persona 5
Tachibanakan to Lie Angle

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neeksy posted:

I'm a little worried about P5's adaptation because, well, A-1 and how their P4:The Golden Animation turned out.

they share literally no lead staff. masashi ishihama couldn't be a more different director from seiji kishi and kishi wasn't even bad, he was just a pure comedy director

a-1 more than any other studio barely matters to its shows outside of the people it grabs, it's literally just a studio that contracts out staff so you want to look at that instead

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 22, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the p3 movies were really bad. they sucked all the personality out of the game

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

thanks whoever was talking about megalo box

just saw the PVs and I'm now geuinely interested

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Lupin 3rd 5, MHA s3 and Layton are pretty much no brainers from my perspective.

Definitely gonna check out Megalo Box and Golden Kamuy. Sound rad and legitimately enjoyable.

I'm wholly expecting Magical Girl Site to be kinda bad, but hopefully it'll be enjoyably bad.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm gonna watch an ep or two of the forcemasc show and nothing else this season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

ishihama directed from the new world, a story about weird teenage angst and society's flaws that expressed those things fairly well even if I don't even personally like it. He's also spent his entire career directing a ton of openings, including Bleach OP 13, occultic;nine, tokyo ravens,, and welcome to the NHK. I don't even like some of those OPs that much, but they show a clear interest and skill in stylization and visual language, which is something that fits Persona 5 to a T.

Obviously this doesn't guarantee that the anime will be good, but the director has a skillset that is very suited to the material. Unlike P4 Golden, which was directed by a comedy director who had already mined the material for about the best he could do with it and just had to go for another go around with almost nothing to work with, and half of what he had to work with (the Adachi stuff, the Marie drama) wasn't suited to his skillset at all.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
thanks miles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

thanks miles
???

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Miles PeR hOUR

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s1CHeK-m04
Could be fun

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/976829455279771648

... uh oh.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Garish Number was the real documentary, Shirobako was a pack of lies.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow it's been three weeks since the episode. Has there ever been a show that literally disappeared in the middle of its run for that long before?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

Wow it's been three weeks since the episode. Has there ever been a show that literally disappeared in the middle of its run for that long before?
That mecha show from like 2016 with the gimmick of it actually having 2d mech battles did, but they actually announced that it was happening and it was only like 3 episodes in.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That's a real shame. Maerchen was never going to be a masterpiece or anything, but the writing had a charmingly dorky and earnest streak to it. Deserved a decent production.

Plus, you know, always sucks for the unlucky bastards in the production trenches.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that hurts to hear, it's been a fun show so far with a lot of legit heartwarming moments and an isekai-lite with a female protag and yuri elements is interesting to a lot of people. on top of that it sucks huge to see this get dragged through the mud when it should be a work of posthumous honor for Tomohiro Matsu.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AnoHito posted:

Garish Number was the real documentary, Shirobako was a pack of lies.

Hey, the director in Shirobako destroyed his reputation by working on a show that melted!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm almost curious enough to watch Marchen Madchen now - I mean, just to see what an imploding show looks like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm almost curious enough to watch Marchen Madchen now - I mean, just to see what an imploding show looks like.

its honestly not interesting in that direction. it got pulled before it really started showing in the show in any interesting ways. like, some of the shots in the last few aired episodes were weird, but nothing outside the norm for a b-list show. maybe it'll be worse when it gets back to air, but more likely, given all the talk about compromises, that itll just be a bunch of static shots of characters sitting around talking. shows that look incredibly hosed usually start out that way, like dynamic chord or handshakers. If something starts out looking competent, there's usually enough there to work with to keep it from backsliding into obvious garbage, even if incredible amounts of cuts have to be made.

like, girls und panzer had huge production issues, but that show actually looks great and you wouldn't be able to tell if you just watched it in one go nowadays, you'd have to look up the episode list and realize that the anzio ova is basically nothing but cut content and that the final battle took like six months real-time because of episode delays.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

its honestly not interesting in that direction. it got pulled before it really started showing in the show in any interesting ways. like, some of the shots in the last few aired episodes were weird, but nothing outside the norm for a b-list show. maybe it'll be worse when it gets back to air, but more likely, given all the talk about compromises, that itll just be a bunch of static shots of characters sitting around talking. shows that look incredibly hosed usually start out that way, like dynamic chord or handshakers. If something starts out looking competent, there's usually enough there to work with to keep it from backsliding into obvious garbage, even if incredible amounts of cuts have to be made.

like, girls und panzer had huge production issues, but that show actually looks great and you wouldn't be able to tell if you just watched it in one go nowadays, you'd have to look up the episode list and realize that the anzio ova is basically nothing but cut content and that the final battle took like six months real-time because of episode delays.

...Ah, so it'll look like Utena in its, um, not so good moments. Nevermind, then.

Thank you for being informative!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean there's always a chance it comes to TV incredibly hosed up, but I think they'd be more likely to just pull the plug completely or delay it even longer than air it in that state.

edit: incidentally, dynamic chord is a good watch if you are interested in something like that. The show's literally entirely outsourced and its like watching a show where every five seconds is animated by a new studio with no idea what the previous five seconds looked like, since that's basically what happened.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wizard Barristers ep.11 is still my go-to for obvious production trainwrecks. There may be worse out there, but I ain’t seen ‘em.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im trying to remember when utena didn't look good and i got nothing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

Strix means reused footage and the cut-matchcut sequences of characters talking that went on for like seven minutes straight, not that the show ever went off model.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BCZKFoKVg

also, musashi gundoh honestly isnt the worst looking show ever, but it is the funniest bad looking show ever

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Endorph posted:

Strix means reused footage and the cut-matchcut sequences of characters talking that went on for like seven minutes straight, not that the show ever went off model.

You are correct, but there are also some impressively bad shots in it here and there.

Also keep in mind that I say this with all love, I recently put all of my anime in a MAL list and gave Utena a 10.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Wizard Barristers ep.11 is still my go-to for obvious production trainwrecks. There may be worse out there, but I ain’t seen ‘em.

Warning for spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

:laffo:

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BCZKFoKVg

also, musashi gundoh honestly isnt the worst looking show ever, but it is the funniest bad looking show ever

I need to watch all of this show, that looks like a lot of fun!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

yeah i guess, but idk i think that stuff is still fun. repeated footage like miki's stopwatch, or Here's The Same Shot Of The Student Council But A Railroad Crossing Is Blaring This Time adds a lot, even if it isn't the most exciting. 絶対運命黙示録! 絶対運命黙示録!

StrixNebulosa posted:

You are correct, but there are also some impressively bad shots in it here and there.

Also keep in mind that I say this with all love, I recently put all of my anime in a MAL list and gave Utena a 10.
touga always looks good imo

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Märchen Mädchen is in the middle of the tournament right now, it should be full of battle scenes. I don't think they'd be able to make do with static talking heads.

Wasn't there some other anime recently that got cancelled after 3 episodes, then re-aired from the beginning half a year later, when they had actually finished it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

nielsm posted:

Märchen Mädchen is in the middle of the tournament right now, it should be full of battle scenes. I don't think they'd be able to make do with static talking heads.

Wasn't there some other anime recently that got cancelled after 3 episodes, then re-aired from the beginning half a year later, when they had actually finished it?

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars

e: "The TV broadcast of Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars was halted temporarily after episode 4 was aired. The explanation for this happening was that there were issues with the quality of the series. Broadcast later resumed in September 2016 starting from episode 1."

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The way anime is made seems fundamentally bonkers but at least it leads to some funny situations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They should just make every anime the way they made Pop Team Epic, by grabbing a bunch of animators and VAs and basically just saying "gently caress it, do whatever."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm glad Utena reuses footage as much as it does

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
idk what a matchcut is but if you mean the uhhhhh student council bits with the random conspicuously ignored poo poo in the background they were fantastic

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I'm seeing the ep and well. Its as grim as it sounds. there's no sense of perspective so sometimes a girl just looks like she shrank while another in the shot looks huge. everyone's always off model. most of the animation is like, 5fps because there's just no in-between shots to smooth it out.

nice n64-texture audience here, also

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i legit love that texture.

that owns

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i legit love that texture.

that owns

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

finally anorignal and inspired direcorial decision in this seasosn anime

• Locked thread