Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I want to kill every fucker on this earth: Mosin

I want to kill some people and make money: Sparks

I am new to this game and need something cheap: Winfield

I think this rifle came with the hunter: Carbine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

You forgot:

I don't just want it dead, I want it dead so, so much: Crown & King Auto 5

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"I want to destroy everyone, but I prefer to not spend more than 25$" -Cavalry Sabre

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
So how do we activate the horse-drawn UAV killstreak reward?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

deported to Canada posted:

You forgot:

I don't just want it dead, I want it dead so, so much: Crown & King Auto 5

This is the best gun in the game imo or it was during the alpha at least. I'm still not sure when I'm going to be able to buy this and jump back in with you guys but I hope it's soon.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Pretty close to unlocking the Sparks, looking forward to trying it (despite that price tag).

I really want the Sabre but that's gonna be a while... how does the Machete compare? It's listed as doing more damage but apparently Sabre attacks faster? I also hear Sabre one shots at any HP... does Machete?

Amante fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 13, 2018

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I think the Sabre is more stabberery (I think that's a real word) in that you lunge slightly and have more reach, the machete is more hack up close. I'm pretty sure the Machete one shots but haven't tested it in a while.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just fought the spider for the first time. Good lord that thing sucked. It was moving around so fast and so hard to track that we thought it was bugging out or something (heheh).

It could be 50% slower and 100% more threatening and be a way better boss.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I got set on fire again right as I put out burning and it bugged out so the only way I could stop it was with a vitality shot.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm convinced the game knows when I'm doing well. I can have long games where I get shot near the end by another hunter and it all plays fine. If I manage to off a few hunters, get a lot of creature kills, and make my way towards the boss fight the game will hardlock. It's happened 3 times now.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
AHHHHHHHHHASDGOPUIASHDPIOGJASFPDOJ

i just loving solo'd the butcher on a two-boss map, killed another player, and escaped alive.

i was so pissed i forgot i had a screenshot button, oops

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Carecat posted:

I got set on fire again right as I put out burning and it bugged out so the only way I could stop it was with a vitality shot.

Did you try jumping in some water?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Amante posted:

Pretty close to unlocking the Sparks, looking forward to trying it (despite that price tag).

I really want the Sabre but that's gonna be a while... how does the Machete compare? It's listed as doing more damage but apparently Sabre attacks faster? I also hear Sabre one shots at any HP... does Machete?

The machete is perfectly fine for dismembering other players. Can't say much for the reach, but it's quick and quiet enough to kill the second guy in a room before he knows the first guy is dead. So far it has killed everyone in one swing but the reach might be an issue.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Does anyone else have this weird graphical tearing during movement? I only see it at night or in dark places

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
I think I'm going to join the couple dozen people I know who just quit the game. It's good but it's loving next to impossible to find a stable group for...hope it picks up laster.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

MysteriousStranger posted:

I think I'm going to join the couple dozen people I know who just quit the game. It's good but it's loving next to impossible to find a stable group for...hope it picks up laster.

Goons > Solo
Solo >> Pubs

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Hmmm, crap. I did the recruit thing in the wrong order or something and don't have enough cash to recruit the cheapest guy. With no more dudes and no items to sell looks like I'm outta luck

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Feral Integral posted:

Hmmm, crap. I did the recruit thing in the wrong order or something and don't have enough cash to recruit the cheapest guy. With no more dudes and no items to sell looks like I'm outta luck

Double check you have no items it might be something you cant buy yet so it looks greyed out if you have nothing you will get a free hunter.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

MysteriousStranger posted:

just play solo, it's loving thrilling. i just picked up two bounties by myself and murked a duo. sparks rifle turns cover into concealment real quick

speaking of, it might just be confirmation bias+the fact that i was running full tilt through the woods but it feels like there are more zombies in the way when you have a bounty on you

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I think people are afraid of solo or something. It's not bad, I've hit bloodline 33 exclusively through solo play and racked up a decent amount of kills + extractions in the meantime.

Would have an even better track record if game ran better on my computer and I was a faster learner, but eh.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
You can be incredibly sneaky in solo and setup some fun things. Remember that you have the advantage of the enemy team not knowing that you are solo.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Something I've been wondering about audio cues... if I hear a faint, single crow caw or horse whinny in the distance (i.e., I'm nowhere near them) is that 100% a player creeping around?

Seems like it but I'm not sure, and I could use every edge possible as a solo player to gauge how many people are left on the map.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Amante posted:

Something I've been wondering about audio cues... if I hear a faint, single crow caw or horse whinny in the distance (i.e., I'm nowhere near them) is that 100% a player creeping around?

Seems like it but I'm not sure, and I could use every edge possible as a solo player to gauge how many people are left on the map.

Ambient non-alert stuff only plays fairly close, yeah.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Amante posted:

You get to learn the difference between the ambient and the player triggered. Crows make ambient sounds once you are close to them, so close that if someone were to spook them - you'd hear their footsteps anyway. Anytime you hear crows in the distance it's a hunter.

On occasion you can hear an ambient horse sound - especially near the Davant ranch and Alice farms. It's short and not persistent like a horse whinnying from a player. You can hear a player triggered horse at large ranges, similar to crows or even gunshots.

Both the crows and the horses will give you a pretty good indicator of direction and range someone is at, especially if you happen to know the exact location of the horse which is likely making noise. (Good example is the horse which is sometimes just outside the western outbuilding at Scupper Lake)

Strangely enough gunshots are one of the most difficult audio cue's to pinpoint another hunter. You can hear them at extreme range, and the noise you hear depends heavily on the gun used. You can hear the loudest guns being used in Catfish Grove from the Chapel, which means that the only information you can glean is "there's a dude or two way south of me."

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Goddd. Rough night. My final game of the night lost me a hunter, which was frustrating, but the game before that... ugh.

Random match, spawned into a daytime two-boss map. We get to the spider underneath the church after two clues, while we're fighting it the butcher starts getting banished at a far corner of the map. We kill the spider, banish, and wait, because the Butcher bounties are heading right towards us. My friend and I are watching both stairwells, and our counterparts are waiting up top. We sit and wait for like 15 minutes, they don't do anything other than kill a few zombies that walk up to them. I hear the gate crank up on the other side of the crypt, so I poke my head in, don't see any movement, figure it's just them trying to lure us away from the stairwell, and head back to my position and wait. Few minutes after that, boom, they take the bounty, and in our confusion, my partner and I run out the wrong way, and we can't catch up. They scooped our bounty, plus theirs, without us even seeing them or firing a shot. Extremely frustrating.

I'm telling myself that because we didn't get a "bounty has exited the map" notification and they just seemingly disappeared that their game hosed up and they didn't get anything.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Is it viable to kill the spider with a silenced pistol? Probably not?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Amante posted:

Is it viable to kill the spider with a silenced pistol? Probably not?

You'd need to run out for ammo a few times and it will take quite a while. Doable, but not practicable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It would likely take long enough that while people would not hear the gunshots from the fight, anyone who passed near the compound would hear the spider doing its combat screeches. Not a super great idea really.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, guess not. Trying to workshop safer ways to solo a boss but it seems like duos have all the advantages there... guess I'll just go in with the Avtomat once I unlock it and aim for speed :)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly the answer to safely soloing the spider is just to go in and do it. Even now, after the game has been publicly available for about a month, people still love to camp and never engage someone doing the boss. Obviously it's a bit of a crap shoot because there are people out there that just run around getting poo poo done, but a large majority of the player base is still skittish and over cautious. If you find the boss early enough, just go in and do it, if you can do it without dying. Chances are you can grab it, grab the token and just run all the way to a non-camped exit, since it's extremely hard to catch someone with even a marginal head start on you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Orv posted:

Honestly the answer to safely soloing the spider is just to go in and do it. Even now, after the game has been publicly available for about a month, people still love to camp and never engage someone doing the boss. Obviously it's a bit of a crap shoot because there are people out there that just run around getting poo poo done, but a large majority of the player base is still skittish and over cautious. If you find the boss early enough, just go in and do it, if you can do it without dying. Chances are you can grab it, grab the token and just run all the way to a non-camped exit, since it's extremely hard to catch someone with even a marginal head start on you.

It's funny reading this very true post right after the guy complaining that he lost both his bounties because he camped for so long that the other team swiped it from under him :haw:

Hopefully they make some changes to this game to weaken the strength of camping other players because right now sitting around waiting is much stronger than actually going out and doing poo poo.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Montoya and I never camp - if someone is doing the boss that is 100% the best chance you have to engage them. They are distracted, looking at a predictable thing/direction, and there's a ton of noise to cover your approach.

Run in, draw your shotgun / cavalry saber, and 9/10 times you can put them down before they realize what's happening.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Montoya and I never camp - if someone is doing the boss that is 100% the best chance you have to engage them. They are distracted, looking at a predictable thing/direction, and there's a ton of noise to cover your approach.

Run in, draw your shotgun / cavalry saber, and 9/10 times you can put them down before they realize what's happening.

Is Butcher still over-tuned and basically impossible to solo without cheesing the area gates?
In Alpha he went from being too fast to be just fast enough to punish fuckups - but the last I played he was impossible to out-run, making solo kills on his fat rear end pretty much undoable without cheesing a door-way, where you are entirely easy to ambush.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DarkDobe posted:

Is Butcher still over-tuned and basically impossible to solo without cheesing the area gates?
In Alpha he went from being too fast to be just fast enough to punish fuckups - but the last I played he was impossible to out-run, making solo kills on his fat rear end pretty much undoable without cheesing a door-way, where you are entirely easy to ambush.

It is possible to kite him, but it's very risky. One wrong move and you are down ~70 HP and/or are on fire. You have to basically have a good shotgun, put him down on his knees, then run like a bitch until you are reloaded and the "cooldown" on his knee drop is done. Leashing him is basically mandatory, even for a pair of hunters. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "cheesing" but it's the only feasible tactic solo.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Is there anyone else mainly in the US-West timezone that has been mainly playing solo but wants to buddy up? I feel like I'm somewhat competent at this game now. I've doing pretty well not raising any alarms at all, and going after groups that raise a ruckus, but my odds and payout could be a lot better with a partner. I'm at bloodline rank 34 right now.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It is possible to kite him, but it's very risky. One wrong move and you are down ~70 HP and/or are on fire. You have to basically have a good shotgun, put him down on his knees, then run like a bitch until you are reloaded and the "cooldown" on his knee drop is done. Leashing him is basically mandatory, even for a pair of hunters. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "cheesing" but it's the only feasible tactic solo.

Once you get the Caldwell Rival he's pretty easy to solo. Though, he gets really goofy about hit stun once he lights up. The bosses get significantly easier as you get better guns since they don't scale against them at all. The Full-Auto rifle takes out like 90% of their HP.

I've been doing a lot of 2-bounty runs lately, and I really like playing the entire map, with a focus of killing as many hunters while collecting all 6 clues, or pivoting to killing a boss/camping if someone takes a boss out early.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Studio posted:

Once you get the Caldwell Rival he's pretty easy to solo. Though, he gets really goofy about hit stun once he lights up. The bosses get significantly easier as you get better guns since they don't scale against them at all. The Full-Auto rifle takes out like 90% of their HP.

I've been doing a lot of 2-bounty runs lately, and I really like playing the entire map, with a focus of killing as many hunters while collecting all 6 clues, or pivoting to killing a boss/camping if someone takes a boss out early.

On that note the cavalry saber absolutely wrecks the spider.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

On that note the cavalry saber absolutely wrecks the spider.

But that means getting within 50 feet of it :gonk:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Gary 'Bang Bang' White's career is off to a great start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7P6JkuFKLw. I'm always going to pack some dynamite now.

This game was way too quiet, so I decided to roam the perimeter to try and bait out a response.

I feel like the matchmaking algorithm will just give up and will settle to match you with just 1 other team. One big giveaway for this is when you spend very little time in the "waiting for other players" phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm continually wondering what level of quietness/lack of interaction is people doing dumb XP stuff or dying to dumb poo poo and what is just the matchmaking throwing up its hands. Hard to say.