Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Look at this photoshop wizard over here...

Yeah, good job of editing out the bird you're flipping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

iwentdoodie posted:

Chop up spam and fry it in bacon grease. Add day old rice and a poo poo ton of roasted garlic to the skillet, stir, add egg, add hot sauce. Best cheap rear end fried rice.

Spam musubi is also goddamn amazing. On Guam there was a food stand that made spam lumpia that was the second best drunk food ever. The first being chicken on a stick from the lady on the corner under the strip club.

That sounds awesome...but then, I have to buy Spam. :v:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Poach the egg and I'm yours.

Bugger spam though, corned beef is where it's at but for some reason it often costs as much as steak.

Any time you suck the excess moisture out of meat, the unit cost soars. Look at decent beef jerky (PA Dutch)...$24-$30/lb. for air-dried flank steak.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
It lives!

In what is a huge disappointment for posting in this thread, albeit a plus for me staying employed, the Deutz air cooled engine I posted about earlier fired up on the first try. Well, first I had to purge the air from the fuel lines. And then it shot oil across the shop because I forgot to actually plug in the gauge. But after that it fired up on the first try!

To recap, this engine was handed to me as a pile of parts, disassembled by someone who no longer works at the company, and only ordered about 75% of the parts actually needed. Also it's the second time I've ever rebuilt an engine, let alone one that wasn't even close to working before it came apart, so I was pretty stoked when it worked immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ov3x979iNQ

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good man and congratulations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Another presidential car delivery. :thumbsup:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 22, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i was given huge runarounds by 4 different transport companies while trying to have my rx7 shipped from new york to oregon before giving up and selling it. the car transport industry seems extremely bad.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha holy poo poo

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Weird, the only issue I've ever had with shipping has been when I had my operational car transported from Texas to Michigan and it decided it didn't want to start anymore in freezing weather. I knew the starter was on its way out but it just straight died. Thankfully they were able to play with the ramps to get it off.

The other time a nice man and his son transported two of my cars from Texas to South Carolina for $1500 in a closed container. Flawlessly. Guess I'm lucky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I shipped an acvw from san francisco to chicago about 20 years ago, the car itself showed up fine but the half tank of gas it had in it disappeared en route. :iiam:

I wouldn't have minded much except I had to detour to the nearest gas station for a jerry can so I could get enough fuel in it that I could get it off their lot.

Must have some pretty slim margins if you're siphoning gas out of tanks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

xzzy posted:

I shipped an acvw from san francisco to chicago about 20 years ago, the car itself showed up fine but the half tank of gas it had in it disappeared en route. :iiam:

I wouldn't have minded much except I had to detour to the nearest gas station for a jerry can so I could get enough fuel in it that I could get it off their lot.

Maybe they just drove it? :V Low on trucks.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

xzzy posted:

If the lot was off Cicero, I'm sure the friendly locals helped themselves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I never thought to check the odometer!

And it was somewhere down by Joliet, which probably has equally reputable locals. But on the other hand the gas nozzle was under the bonnet so I wouldn't figure a petty thief would know how to get to the gas.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

If you're a petty gas thief its probably worthwhile to know how to get to it on a variety of vehicles.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Slim Pickens posted:

But on the other hand spam musubi is like, the fourth best food to come from Hawaii

I have a Hawaiian BBQ joint less than two blocks from me and completely agree.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Was it shipped in a container? If it was, it was probably defueled to prevent/mitigate a vapor explosion.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

xzzy posted:

While not quite siphoning gas out of tanks, I know a dude who currently works hauling boats worth up to $750,000 across the US. If everything goes right, he can make $1000 profit in a east coast to west coast run. However if something goes wrong like what usually happened with the 6.0 ford f350 he was using when he started, it eats any profit up real loving quick. There was more than once him and a partner went out for 3-4 weeks and came back with $700 each after truck repairs, fuel costs and other necessities. And boats pays way loving better than cars.

He tried getting me to do it with him multiple times after getting his own truck set up, but I know after a week trapped in a truck cab with him, I'd wind up burying a body in the middle of the nevada desert. And I refused to go out for 3-4 weeks at a time and only be home for a week. Thats just lovely no matter how you slice it.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Dannywilson posted:

Was it shipped in a container? If it was, it was probably defueled to prevent/mitigate a vapor explosion.

My buddy container-shipped his car to Hawaii in '07 and the shipping company was iffy even about his aftermarket floor mats, they wanted NOTHING in the car except the car itself.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That probably has more to do with insurance and/or drug smuggling than explosion worry.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Liability from things flying around is my guess.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

financially racist posted:

i was given huge runarounds by 4 different transport companies while trying to have my rx7 shipped from new york to oregon before giving up and selling it. the car transport industry seems extremely bad.

Hot-shots are the horrible failure, here. Actual auto transport carriers will have at least half million $$ liability policies and drivers that are at least passingly familiar with how to load/unload a vehicle and their prices reflect it. Anyone with a dually and a fifth-wheel hook up, however, can get a MC and run as a hot-shot and charge just enough to cover their fuel and a teeny profit. When I still worked in trucking, any time we had LTL or fall-off load shipments, we did everything in our power to avoid having to book it on a hotshot. They invariably never report where they actually are or if they're going to pick up/deliver on time and usually demand cash before they'll unload.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Backstory: The following pictures are from my place of work. The machine in the picture is called the "Signature Pit Conveyor" and essentially the cages of paper seen in the background get dumped into it and they ride a huge belt up to a chute that drops them into a vacuum pipe to get whisked away to a paper baler. This poor machine gets the everloving poo poo run out of it and it is low priority for maintenance.

Anyways, I was driving by it the other night and saw it partially disassembled and locked out:

Upon closer inspection:

I couldn't get a good picture of it, but the main drive sprocket (which is a bit larger than the idler in the picture) sheared several teeth. That belt probably weighs over a ton and one of those paper cages can weigh up to two. Must've made a hell of a noise when it went.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Literally the first rules of every shop posted:

Safety Glasses
EVERYONE MUST WEAR SAFETY GLASSES IN THE SHOP.
Even when you're not working on a machine, you must wear safety glasses. A chip from a machine someone else is working on could fly into your eye.

Clothes and Hair
Check your clothes and hair before you walk into the shop. In particular:
IF YOU HAVE LONG HAIR OR A LONG BEARD, TIE IT UP.
If your hair is caught in spinning machinery, it will be pulled out if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you will be pulled into the machine.

E: when my beard was long, I used bobby pins and a bandana to keep it away from machinery

I've been waiting for one of those long beards from the discovery channel to get stuck in a grinder

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

he paid the pube price

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't decide if he's trying to hold back tears or is in shock.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
DeHair

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

He was paying zero attention to anything, if the torn up earphone in the buffing wheel is anything to go by.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Memento posted:

He was paying zero attention to anything, if the torn up earphone in the buffing wheel is anything to go by.

Good spot. Zero eyepro too, unless he tucked his safety glasses behind his ears.

He got lucky. Hope this is a good lesson for everyone in that shop.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Serves him right. Machine shops are not the place for ZZ Top cosplayers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
JFC tuck your beard into your shirt like a normal person.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good spot. Zero eyepro too, unless he tucked his safety glasses behind his ears.

He got lucky. Hope this is a good lesson for everyone in that shop.

Looks like a buffing or waxing wheel, so eye pro proooobably isn't strictly necessary...just smart.

I'd be wearing some

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Godholio posted:

JFC dont have a dumb beard like a normal person.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fermented Tinal posted:

Must've made a hell of a noise

Even more appropriate, though in this case, the noise was probably the wannabe ZZ Top member yelping.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Arrath posted:

Looks like a buffing or waxing wheel, so eye pro proooobably isn't strictly necessary...just smart.

I'd be wearing some

He does have some safety maglarses, don't know if they were tucked behind his head before or after "the Grinder Incident" though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Godholio posted:

JFC tuck your beard into your belt like a normal dwarf.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seriously I can imagine that dude walking into the machine shop office trying to get hired and the foreman or whoever taking one look at him and going WHAT HAHA NOOOOOOO JESUS CHRIST and looking for the hidden camera

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Did that thing rip his beard off, or do y'all think he had to cut it after it got tangled up? Because I'd think if it was just tangled he should have at least tried to remove the wheel and salvage some of it, that's a few years worth of beard gone fast.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

100% he cut it. It would have torn out a large chunk of his face if it had tried to yank out that many hairs at once

Besides that's just a handheld buffer. It would have just gotten tangled up and he'd let go of the button and it stopped. It's not like some big freestanding machine or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm the lone earbud dangling from the nest of pubes in the buffer.