Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
You people quit picking on Yuiga Nariyuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
boring generic male leads are fine when a manga leans very heavily toward comedy, they serve as tsukkomi, and the comedy is actually good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Cool Josei: Ashi Girl. Time travelling high schooler disguises herself as an ashigaru in sengoku japan and maybe falls in love. It got love action movies but is barely translated, seems a shame.

https://mangadex.org/manga/17801/ashi-girl

Did this ever get more chapters TLed? I think the stuff on mangadex is just reuploads of the stuff that was on bato.to, where it got only a few chapters before scanlators dropped it. It was good. :(

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did this ever get more chapters TLed? I think the stuff on mangadex is just reuploads of the stuff that was on bato.to, where it got only a few chapters before scanlators dropped it. It was good. :(

New chappie a couple weeks ago, it's being updated rarely

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

it's being updated rarely

joseimanga.txt

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

New chappie a couple weeks ago, it's being updated rarely

:toot: Hopefully they stick with it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ZiegeDame posted:

With The World God Only Knows the trauma in question isn't revealed until later because it's actually happening throughout the manga.

Just gonna say that each time I see you post, I really wish Night Gaunt still had OYAKATASAMA to come post right after you do. :allears:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Schubalts posted:

Just gonna say that each time I see you post, I really wish Night Gaunt still had OYAKATASAMA to come post right after you do. :allears:

:same:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sharkopath posted:

Cool Josei: Ashi Girl. Time travelling high schooler disguises herself as an ashigaru in sengoku japan and maybe falls in love. It got love action movies but is barely translated, seems a shame.

https://mangadex.org/manga/17801/ashi-girl

That manga is terrible on the back of that terrible eigo pun.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mirage posted:

To be fair he isn’t a complete blank slate; they establish him as the hardest working person in the series. And seemingly trauma-free.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He works because he's the "Yes and" part of the comedy group.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mirage posted:

Gonna be real curious about the results of the character poll on the US Jump site rn

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nariyuki Yuiga is shown to be a hardworking student that even though he was not good in studying in the past, following his father's encouragement to become someone who can do everything, through hard work he was able to achieve a steady grade of 80% on all subjects. Yuiga is also a caring person, as his ultimate goal for getting a scholarship was to give his family who is poor a better life. Not only that, he is also caring for his friends whenever they're in any trouble, always helping them out without a single complaint.

He can also be dull and dense as he's oblivious to the romantic feelings the girls have for him throughout the series, especially Ogata's and Uruka's.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharkopath posted:

He can also be dull and dense as he's oblivious to the romantic feelings the girls have for him throughout the series, especially Ogata's and Uruka's.

This is probably just a shonen romcom survival mechanism.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

He literally asks one of them "Are you in love with me?" to her face and she says "haha no", it's not his fault.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm not gonna say Nariyuki is extremely interesting or anything but you can make literally any character sound incredibly boring if you just list out all their traits lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This doesn't *quite* have anything to do with anything presently discussed, but was too good not to share.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:agreed:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't Doki Doki Literature Club being officially translated into Japanese now or something? Would be fun to see their reactions to it, I remember seeing an article on a Japanese gaming site when it came out talking about the influences on it and a bunch of gamers there were all "the gently caress is this, this isn't Japanese? What's so special about it?"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't Doki Doki Literature Club being officially translated into Japanese now or something? Would be fun to see their reactions to it, I remember seeing an article on a Japanese gaming site when it came out talking about the influences on it and a bunch of gamers there were all "the gently caress is this, this isn't Japanese? What's so special about it?"

It's a western remake of a way cooler japanese original that doesn't credit the original, and for that it must die.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/manga/22784/satoko-to-nada

This one's cool but with low rent art

Semi autobiography about a Japanese college student and her saudi arabian roomate

The author is a uk born japanese muslim who translated metal albums from europe for the domestic market and that's a cool life story.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm not gonna say Nariyuki is extremely interesting or anything but you can make literally any character sound incredibly boring if you just list out all their traits lol

He's got different developing relationships with all the girls that aren't just one-sided crushes or the study group, which is more than you can say about a lot of other blank slate protagonists. *coughrakucough*

Sharkopath posted:

It's a western remake of a way cooler japanese original that doesn't credit the original, and for that it must die.

What's the original, then?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If you're talking about Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi, I'd say that the concept is the same, but the story paths diverge.

Also Doki Doki is free and I doubt most people know where to get Kimi to Kanojo unless they were a huge VN nerd who seeks that sort of stuff out. It's the accessibility that made the explosion of Youtube LP exposure possible because kind of like with Hatoful Boyfriend, it's acting as kind of people's first time with visual novels in general when they usually see those as "dating sim games in a Japanese high school" sort of thing instead of a medium that has potential which a lot of indie devs are playing around with, with varying degrees of success.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This doesn't *quite* have anything to do with anything presently discussed, but was too good not to share.

huh. yes, yes, tell me more.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 21, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The powerful top fang bottom fang combination.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Hey, if we're still on the topic, does anyone have any shounen romance reccs. I'm seeing We Can't Study being mentioned here.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Komi-san-wa-Komyushou-Desu/Ch-132---I-m-the-same?id=410476#1

New Komi-san chapter is very good and wholesome.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Hey, if we're still on the topic, does anyone have any shounen romance reccs. I'm seeing We Can't Study being mentioned here.

I'm gonna throw in a rec for Tsurezure Children, which coincidentally just updated!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/188853/1

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Prunus Girl

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

The powerful top fang bottom fang combination.

yes, both of them have fangs

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Taishou Wotome is a period romance and drama set in the Taishou era, A pariah from a wealthy family gets sent a servant by his dismissive father and falls in love with her with many ups and downs along the way.It uses events like the Great Kanto Earthquake as story beats. It's super cute and is finished, was published in Jump SQ even though its a straight shoujo romance more than a comedy. It's cool.

https://reader.seaotterscans.com/series/taishau_wotome_otogibanashi/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

Premise: the MC falls in love with Fuuka and they start a band together

Spoilers for the fuckery

Fuuka dies around 30 chapters in (hit by a truck). He uses her death to ~find his voice~ and they continue the band. He eventually meets another singer named Fuuka... whose father was driving the truck.
I can't imagine hating people I've never met as much as the author must hate people who like his previous works.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Thanks for linking that. With the end of Batoto, I hadn't realized the series had concluded, so I got to read the rest because of that!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Speaking of series that concluded, do your best Shinozaki!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Came here to post that. That was abrupt, but after all the series was fun overall and we got a kiss out of it so 💯

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The ending was really abrupt, but it was a proper ending. Yuri is my favorite too. :toot:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of things just finished, I just read Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa to the end - and wow does it deserve all the praise it gets.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Shinozaki stuck the landing. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Didn't seem like much of a stretch