Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
*furtively looks around*

*in a whisper*

The traditional Chinese outfits in these things are kinda samey and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Megazver posted:

*furtively looks around*

*in a whisper*

The traditional Chinese outfits in these things are kinda samey and boring.

agreed

in fact it's pretty damned annoying how, once someone ascends in stories like that, it turns out not just the starting planet but literally the entire universe (and eventually multiverse) are basically the same damned culture

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Chinese machine translation tends to be a hell of a lot nicer to read than Japanese in the first place and sentences are generally structured a lot closer to English sentences. So you can polish up Chinese into something semi-readable with much less effort than a Japanese MTL which pretty much involves reading a sentence, guessing what the gently caress it meant and working around all the blobs that didn't get translated and then rewriting the entire sentence as your best guess.

Which is probably why you have the site lnmtl only does chinese stories it scrapes of qidian etc. Although vastly inferior to an actual translation, the MTL + crowd-sourced dictionary/vocabulary for each story system it uses can spit out some pretty readable text.

Regardless, Chinese stories, even with good translations still have a very distinct writing style, just as Japanese stories normally do. Translators really have to go the extra mile to make it sound natural in English (which is one reason why dubs can sound weird/wrong - people often just don't speak or phrase things like that).

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 22, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shanakin posted:

Regardless, Chinese stories, even with good translations still have a very distinct writing style, just as Japanese stories normally do. Translators really have to go the extra mile to make it sound natural in English (which is one reason why dubs can sound weird/wrong - people often just don't speak or phrase things like that).

It can't be helped.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Are you talking about "that" person?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SerSpook posted:

agreed

in fact it's pretty damned annoying how, once someone ascends in stories like that, it turns out not just the starting planet but literally the entire universe (and eventually multiverse) are basically the same damned culture

hey, sometimes there are barbarians, which are treated like a different, non-human species despite being slightly less chinese humans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also i got caught up with 40k of cultivation and i like how the mc hooked up with the swole musclehead woman with whom he got along well and shared many interests with instead of a generic fairy type. i still don't think it's very good overall, but it has a lot of good points.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
For Bookworm/Honzuki readers, I got bored and made a playlist showing the how-tos for everything Maine's invented or encountered up to where I've read (currently 158). A lot of these are videos that helped me understand what the hell she was trying to accomplish, but for completion's sake I also included stuff like pancakes. If I missed anything, please remind me. I couldn't find videos for clay tablets and I can't be assed to find a video for how to make loving chopsticks.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOclVqhowNnUz-03DQRlinpp9G8RX-2Z7

Very annoyingly, I spent 10 minutes typing up annotations for where each video applies, only to find out said notes are visible only to myself. :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SerSpook posted:

I feel completely the opposite when it comes to translations. I've read a lot of both (something I am sad to admit) and it really feels like most of the translations of Chinese novels are far better as far as readability goes. Japanese fan translations I've read often feels like something that has been run through a machine translation or done by somebody with a poor grasp of English.

Chinese translations are, however, far more filled with cliche phrasing.

Maybe Japanese translations are better these days, but one of the key reasons I started reading more Chinese stuff is that RWX and Deathblade produced such excellent translations. This isn't really a universal thing I admit, and I think a lot of it would depend on what exactly you're reading and who is translating.

I'm definitely biased in terms of Japanese because I know a considerable amount (probably could be considered "semi-fluent" in terms of grammar/vocabulary even though my kanji is pretty garbage), and this makes poor/overly literal Japanese translations easier for me to deal with because I can sort of infer what's going on in the source material (and certain commonly said things, like the aforementioned "it can't be helped," probably feel less goofy as a result). But this doesn't really explain why I have an easier time with translated Korean stuff, since I don't know any Korean.

I think part of it might not be a translation thing so much as something related to the general "tempo" of conversations/prose, if that makes sense. A good example might be this portion of a passage quoted on the last page of this thread:

quote:

"Which model do you want, mister?"

Veins were bulging in Li Yao's forehead as he exclaimed, "Okay. I'll have one box of each!"

1 minute and 49 seconds later, he returned to Ding Lingdang's home.

His shoes had been grinded out of shape.

The invisible flames of hunger and irritation from Ding Lingdang seemed to be burning the entire house to the ground.

The aura of the two of them crashed in the middle of the air with cracking sounds.

I can't help but imagine everything like some goofy low budget movie with hammy acting. And that isn't always a bad thing - I feel like the humor in My Disciple Died Yet Again works really well because it's sorta self-aware of the goofiness of everything and the protagonist perceives things in that light, but it's hard for me to read really long cultivation stories that play things straight (not necessarily the one I quoted, but I've seen similar things when I tried to read other popular cultivation stories).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah its the sentence structure being really abrupt with no flow that seems a hallmark of chinese -> english translation, even in the better translated stuff. Especially character interactions. Info-dumps can be alright, like some of the earlier chapters of 40K.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 22, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SerSpook posted:

agreed

don't forget all cultivators looking exactly the same

and not in a racist way, i mean they literally all look exactly the same and just have different brands of long black hair

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yinlock posted:

don't forget all cultivators looking exactly the same

and not in a racist way, i mean they literally all look exactly the same and just have different brands of long black hair

hey, sometimes the mc has a fat guy named fatty as his lackey. note: every fat guy named fatty is the exact same character.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
is there a meta-story about the fatty and his inter-dimensional shenanigans yet

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm definitely biased in terms of Japanese because I know a considerable amount (probably could be considered "semi-fluent" in terms of grammar/vocabulary even though my kanji is pretty garbage), and this makes poor/overly literal Japanese translations easier for me to deal with because I can sort of infer what's going on in the source material (and certain commonly said things, like the aforementioned "it can't be helped," probably feel less goofy as a result). But this doesn't really explain why I have an easier time with translated Korean stuff, since I don't know any Korean.

I think part of it might not be a translation thing so much as something related to the general "tempo" of conversations/prose, if that makes sense. A good example might be this portion of a passage quoted on the last page of this thread:

I can't help but imagine everything like some goofy low budget movie with hammy acting. And that isn't always a bad thing - I feel like the humor in My Disciple Died Yet Again works really well because it's sorta self-aware of the goofiness of everything and the protagonist perceives things in that light, but it's hard for me to read really long cultivation stories that play things straight (not necessarily the one I quoted, but I've seen similar things when I tried to read other popular cultivation stories).

I mean, I also think Korean stories tend to have far better translations, fan ones at least, than Japanese ones.

But yeah, Chinese stuff often has a tone that can be akin to an old lovely martial arts movie which is part of why I like it.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd been avoiding The Death Mage Doesn't Want a Fourth Time for a long time because the premise sounded a bit messy, but once I got into it I couldn't stop for a good two weeks. It's nice to see one of these generic fantasyland novels actually have some worldbuilding in it, and it's gone in some directions I didn't really anticipate.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Yeah that one was actually pretty interesting. It still falls into a lot of the same tropes of the genre but its taken the story in a fairly different direction and it was kind of neat how he was slowly becoming a necromantic Cthulhoid elder god.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I love how the horror elements of that story are always described in the most basic, nonchalant way. There are some chapters that might as well be from a slice of life anime set in some ancient nightmare. The contrast is pretty funny.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Enjoying something because libs got triggered (or conservatives in this case, but it seems like conservatives are the ones reveling in it so much that 'lib triggering' is my go to phrase) is a dark path that ends with you humiliating yourself by wearing diapers on a college campus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Enjoying something because libs got triggered (or conservatives in this case, but it seems like conservatives are the ones reveling in it so much that 'lib triggering' is my go to phrase) is a dark path that ends with you humiliating yourself by wearing diapers on a college campus.

uh, wrong thread i think?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
My triggered lib ended up in another world with cheat powers

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the libs were so triggered that blood sprayed from their seven apertures and they fell like puppets with cut strings.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i have finally mastered the grand dao of triggering libs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i snorted and slapped my bag of holding, and a magical treasure flew out of it to trigger libs

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
something something daoistgate

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

:doggo:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SerSpook posted:

agreed

I like how the Cradle books avoid this. The enormous continent where most of the story takes places is mostly East Asian culturally, and of course all focused on strength and so forth, but not only do other continents with other cultures and ethnicities exist, the world is part of a multiverse full of other fantasy worlds that are neither xianxia nor medieval-European.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what is a cultivator

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

what is a cultivator

kung-fu wizard trying to become immortal, 99% sociopathic assholes

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Stairmaster posted:

what is a cultivator

From the last time I explained what Xianxia was

Piell posted:

Meditate/eat magic pills to level up your chi and learn magic powers and become stronger/more immortal. Has very defined levels and ranks. Everyone is impossibly arrogant and an rear end in a top hat towards the PC who is generally just as much as an rear end in a top hat who is presented as nevertheless in the right to murder them all over the place. The protagonist has some cheat item or ability that makes them level much faster and stomps all the people who were jerks to them in the past, then this continues every time they level up. Fights are incredibly boring descriptions of how they wave their hands to summon mountains to crush the other guy who is knocked back a dozen paces and coughs up a mouthful of blood, then the second guy waves their hands to summon the Immortal Binding Golden Sky Tyrant Dragon Strike to throw lightning at the first guy. Meanwhile whatever one of the non-entity future harem members is around exclaims how amazing the protagonist is.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Piell posted:

From the last time I explained what Xianxia was

the PC is generally more of an rear end in a top hat and just annihilates thousands of people for getting dirt on his shoes

this is portrayed as impressive and heroic, naturally

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I think the best part is how the path of cultivation is about breaking the limits of the world and surmounting mortality, and yet every single loving person we meet will be completely shocked that all conflict isn't a math equation that perfectly works out every single time. How can this person that hasn't even completed Core Formation defeat this Nascent Soul cultivator? I don't know jackass, maybe he used magic powers? Did you consider that? Maybe he's like one of the 15 other chosen you've probably mentioned up to this point and he has some ridiculous magic power and that's how he's handing you your rear end.

No, this is impossible, because in the path to overcoming the limits of the human body nobody can actually overcome the limits of the human body because caste system. And also we have no sense of time or memory, so when this character spends the next 500 years doing nothing but beating people stronger than him I will be completely shocked when it's my turn to taste the curb. Because the thing he's been doing for half the length of my life is completely impossible and never happens, except for all the times I've been told to my face it's happening.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulva posted:

I think the best part is how the path of cultivation is about breaking the limits of the world and surmounting mortality, and yet every single loving person we meet will be completely shocked that all conflict isn't a math equation that perfectly works out every single time. How can this person that hasn't even completed Core Formation defeat this Nascent Soul cultivator? I don't know jackass, maybe he used magic powers? Did you consider that? Maybe he's like one of the 15 other chosen you've probably mentioned up to this point and he has some ridiculous magic power and that's how he's handing you your rear end.

No, this is impossible, because in the path to overcoming the limits of the human body nobody can actually overcome the limits of the human body because caste system. And also we have no sense of time or memory, so when this character spends the next 500 years doing nothing but beating people stronger than him I will be completely shocked when it's my turn to taste the curb. Because the thing he's been doing for half the length of my life is completely impossible and never happens, except for all the times I've been told to my face it's happening.

Cultivation Chat Group plays with this as the protagonist has a couple decent one-use items and bluffs his rear end off with them, making his opponents think he's actually a mysterious genius expert and not a mid-tier dude just starting out

and sometimes people recognize how weak he is but also note that he probably has a reason to be confident so they become cautious

man ccg is good

e: though i'd love a xianxia novel that had the same tone as that post

"what's that rear end in a top hat from the blood fang sect doing"

"i dunno he's probably casting some stupid magic spell or whatever, who knows with this loving place"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 24, 2018

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Unruly Phoenix Xiaoyao is a transmigration novel about a woman forced to act as a puppet emperor, involving court intrigue, romance, and the occasional dumb superpower.

At least that's what you might think, but it's actually about a woman relentlessly bullying her evil grandfather, and fully leverages the power structure of imperial authority for comedy. It beautifully captures the absolute shamelessness that makes the leads of AWE and ISSTH funny. Tickles my funny bone very well but is popcorn at best otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
let me guess, the love interest is royalty, impossibly pretty and disturbingly possessive and controlling?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

let me guess, the love interest is royalty, impossibly pretty and disturbingly possessive and controlling?

how did he know the core of my millennia old legacy technique?!

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

no, just a little, no

on that last point it loving weirds me out sometimes how far that can go with the readers/characters still being totally cool with it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Herbotron posted:

no, just a little, no

on that last point it loving weirds me out sometimes how far that can go with the readers/characters still being totally cool with it

cool, i'll have to check it out then. i'm not opposed to reading trashy wn's about some cool lady who reincarnates and starts kicking rear end, but those creepy loving love interests are ubiquitous in the genre. i guess that's the romantic ideal for the target audience?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

cool, i'll have to check it out then. i'm not opposed to reading trashy wn's about some cool lady who reincarnates and starts kicking rear end, but those creepy loving love interests are ubiquitous in the genre. i guess that's the romantic ideal for the target audience?

whats especially hosed up is how out-and-out abusive relationships are ubiquitous in a genre that is supposedly a female power fantasy. I understand in theory that it's a sign of how "madly in love" the male lead is but it often goes way too far and is never depicted as a bad thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Herbotron posted:

whats especially hosed up is how out-and-out abusive relationships are ubiquitous in a genre that is supposedly a female power fantasy. I understand in theory that it's a sign of how "madly in love" the male lead is but it often goes way too far and is never depicted as a bad thing.

I think it's just a fetish sorta thing, sorta like how some people have a "rape fetish" but obviously don't actually want to be raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's just a fetish sorta thing, sorta like how some people have a "rape fetish" but obviously don't actually want to be raped.

That's probably true at least sometimes but I can't overstate just how common it is in this genre, any other relationship dynamic is the exception to the rule. There is certainly a wide range in severity, at least.

I actually think there is a lot that can be said here about societies depiction of abusive/toxic relationships and how even women perpetuate/romanticize that stuff but I'm far from being an expert so all I can say is it squicks me out.