Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did anyone confirm it's the actual sensing camera? because that really does just look like a cheap dash cam mounted on the windshield, it's entirely possible it's just that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the Uber cars are supposed to have 360-degree LIDAR

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

did anyone confirm it's the actual sensing camera? because that really does just look like a cheap dash cam mounted on the windshield, it's entirely possible it's just that
uber v waymo closed the court when they started talking about the specific systems due to patents and trade secrets so lol if you think that line of inquiry is going anywhere

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

yes but they also have a camera under the LIDAR, you can see it in the pictures. like the LIDAR should have caught the person, there's zero excuse for it not, but if it somehow failed i'd still really like to know how the camera didn't

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Improbable Lobster posted:

self driving cars have demonstrated themselves to be significantly more dangerous than human drivers already

lol I wonder if insurance scammers will have any luck throwing themselves in front of slow moving automated cars to try to get easy payoffs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i figured it had to be a lovely dashcam because it couldn't see more than two feet in front of the car. it would be criminally negligent to use that thing in a sensing capacity.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol I wonder if insurance scammers will have any luck throwing themselves in front of slow moving automated cars to try to get easy payoffs

even the poo poo dashcam on this car would catch that

reading about the other things these self-driving uber vehicles do, i'm honestly surprised that someone wasn't hurt or killed sooner. in particular, they seem to love driving straight into large potholes which damage the car and send the occupants and contents flying.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tokamak posted:

it would be criminally negligent

hmmmm....

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

at what stage are Uber self-driving cars meant to be?

i mean, if they are currently testing in "world domination" mode, it would make sense that they're using the cheapest cameras and sensors on the market. if their plan is to equip millions of cars with this technology it would explain the poor quality of these images.

it's one thing to prove your cars can self-drive with thousand dollar industrial cameras. it's another to make it work just as well with a crappy CMOS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well they still have $80k lidar rigs on the roof, unless those are just for show

tesla is the one trying to do autonomy with ots webcams

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
so, self driving cars are what, 5 years out?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i think i would like to watch a show thats like jackass except its loving with self-driving cars. sticking dildos to various sensors, acting like one of those intersection window washer dudes and spraying the car down, people standing in a line on the highway with slowly decreasing speedlimit signs strapped to their back. probs more testing than they would get otherwise too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

brother, they're already here

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaman Linavi posted:

i think i would like to watch a show thats like jackass except its loving with self-driving cars. sticking dildos to various sensors, acting like one of those intersection window washer dudes and spraying the car down, people standing in a line on the highway with slowly decreasing speedlimit signs strapped to their back. probs more testing than they would get otherwise too
a guy giving a straight-faced technical presentation to management on why they must allow the engineers to play chicken with two automated cars in the parking lot

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

in that they will still be broken murder-mobiles but on the road and accepted regardless? yes.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaman Linavi posted:

lol a cyclist jersey with a 25 MPH sign drawn on the back would be a wonderful test

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if the highway lobby was able to re-frame fatalities and victim-blame the pedestrian of course this is going to happen with automated cars but twice as fast

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

there are a lot of videos on the internet of self-stopping cars hitting the people they're being demonstrated to, and it's pretty lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my favourite are the very low speed ones where the car is clearly just going to drive through them

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

crabrock posted:

there are a lot of videos on the internet of self-stopping cars hitting the people they're being demonstrated to, and it's pretty lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo
this is just a regular car and didn't have any of the sensors because of COURSE the PR dept hosed up

not sure if that makes it more or less funny than relying on programmers to not kill you

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Bhodi posted:

this is just a regular car and didn't have any of the sensors because of COURSE the PR dept hosed up

not sure if that makes it more or less funny than relying on programmers to not kill you

"The Volvo XC60 comes with City Safety as a standard feature however this does not include the Pedestrian detection functionality," which costs extra.

oh, i think maybe that's even funnier then. people literally stood in front of a moving car based on ~faith~ that it would stop.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did the thread move past stephen king because i thought of a joke:

come down and hit pedestrians with me beautiful, it's sooo dark

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i worked really hard on that joke i hope everyone likes it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

i worked really hard on that joke i hope everyone likes it
come join me in telling jokes in the D&D thread, it's super ultrabad in a grey forums way

some guy is trying to justify crash rate based on waymo published reports of hours on the road versus the usa overall pedestrian fatality rate in what surely must be a statistical hate-crime

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

lol there's a guy in the osha thread that is certain that lidar doesn't have depth perception

boner confessor posted:

yeah, but imo this is a limitation of the technology in particular and not necessarily uber's design in general. everyone is using this design, and the thing about lidar is it lacks depth perception - there has to be some calculation going on to spot a hazard, and a human sized object moving at a walking pace may not have been easily detectable with that design or sensor

boner confessor posted:

if you put two lidar next to each other, yeah. you get binocular lidar. most self driving cars dont have that, uber's doest

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/19/heres-how-ubers-self-driving-cars-are-supposed-to-detect-pedestrians/

they say it's a "3d" image but that's over time, we're taking 2d snapshots with a single laser and piecing them together - a slower moving object may not have been visible, especially if it were only visible for a short time

what

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
oh drat i was reading the automation thread, i forgot about osha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol there's a guy in the osha thread that is certain that lidar doesn't have depth perception

what

um. what does this guy think LIDAR stands for exactly?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

lol a cyclist jersey with a 25 MPH sign drawn on the back would be a wonderful test

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what

quote:

they say it's a "3d" image but that's over time, we're taking 2d snapshots with a single laser and piecing them together - a slower moving object may not have been visible, especially if it were only visible for a short time

this is technically true, but only on the order of milliseconds

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hell yeah

or maybe an object marker sign forcing the car away

i'd go with a type 3 bi-directional one

detecting and responding to a sign like that on the fly would be absolutely essential to any AV system in order to negotiate construction zones

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

infernal machines posted:

um. what does this guy think LIDAR stands for exactly?

Looking In Dumb Accurate Revolutions.

He's an expert you know.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

he doesn't seem to understand that the system fundamentally measures the distance the emitted light travels

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i know it's just EL wire but i dig the nixie tube-lookin' font

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

lidar directly measures distance using time of flight for the laser pulse. it's not stitching together "2D" images, every single point has a distance_from_sensor attached to it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah by the time the thing has the light return signal it already has the distance information, which i'd think it actually technically gets before it gets the "brightness" or w/e it uses to reconstruct an "image" (if it even does that) since it's just based on stopping a timer when "i got some light" happens, rather than "collect enough light over this short time period to measure its intensity." that would depend entirely on the internal circuitry though

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
it doesn't meaure "brightness" at all; it measures the % amplitude of returned pulse. It uses this in conjunction with time of flight, and a shitload of DSP to determine if it's looking at something kind of reflective, or if it's shooting though, say, a bush, and each leaf will return part of the pulse. It can use this to return multiple "depths" from one pulse. It's real cool poo poo.

e: heres an example of a lidar return that likely went through a tree or something, returning multiple targets.

Low-Pass Filter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 22, 2018

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Low-Pass Filter posted:

it doesn't meaure "brightness" at all; it measures the % amplitude of returned pulse. It uses this in conjunction with time of flight, and a shitload of DSP to determine if it's looking at something kind of reflective, or if it's shooting though, say, a bush, and each leaf will return part of the pulse. It can use this to return multiple "depths" from one pulse. It's real cool poo poo.

e: heres an example of a lidar return that likely went through a tree or something, returning multiple targets.

i want to play with a fuckin' lidar now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/976638589172793345

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its literally the perfect time. People are focused on an event in the past, they can sneak this out, the people that don't like it will quit facebook, except they quit last week anyways, and they wont bother fb any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
I've worked with one of these things before; slap it on continuous rotation servo, or somethign with a slip-ring, and you can make a little room scanner!

https://www.robotshop.com/en/lidar-...pIaAlyVEALw_wcB

They're like $150.