Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Seminal Flu posted:

That's an odd hill to die on. :monocle:

https://i.imgur.com/RkN4Nrf.mp4

Edit: Oh poo poo, pet tax. Here is a picture comparison of the smallest cat in the household vs. the largest cat in the household.
Not in a car, but then again, they don't do cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Seminal Flu posted:

I think people are conflating their hatred of Uber with the situation.

I agree, Uber is fully responsible. So what? If it was a human driving, they would not even be cited for killing a pedestrian like that. The person shouldn't have been in the middle of the road, at night, wearing dark clothes. The driver would probably be grief-struck, but there wouldn't be a legal or monetary penalty.

From past career doing expert witness work with my dad... you want to bet there wouldn't be any penalty? Because I've worked on one similar.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mekilljoydammit posted:

From past career doing expert witness work with my dad... you want to bet there wouldn't be any penalty? Because I've worked on one similar.

Edit: nevermind, ironically, I misread your statement.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 22, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i like most of you guys and I only still post itt sometimes because you guys are cool, unlike most of the gearheads that I have been exposed to, and I consider many of you my friends. i'm not going to stick around if lovely people with lovely opinions are allowed to dogwhistle here just because they didnt explicitly say "ya i'm from california and i was surrounded but a bunch of sp**s! i was the minority!!"

love you guys

Love you too man, we've heard you just stop getting probated ok?

We all know who the trolls are, treat them like any other troll regardless of the content. Just because the troll is a racist doesn't make the situation special, ignore them, report them and let the mods take care of it.

And if you REALLY want to have it out with a troll, find them in D&D because they're probably trolling over there too. Don't do it here for the love of god.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Okay what the hell is this from? I'm genuinely curious.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
How can you not know Dr No?

Over here, a James Bond is on every Christmas. It is the law.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I didn't notice dickbutt until about the 3rd watch.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh hey, 200 new posts in chat, I wonder wh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Woop woop, two interviews for next week!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Cat woke me at four twenty something this morning to announce he had a mouse by slamming his 7 kilo arse into the bedroom door then dropping it off in the bathroom for me to catch and dispatch by shoebox jai alai into the side of the house in the dawn of the day. Good start.

Decided to work from home and had a really pleasant few hours in the sun sorting new plants- looks like I only lost one redcurrant bush to a pretty harsh winter with absolutely no prep, and I got nearly a dozen ready from rootstock today- blueberries, green gooseberries and raspberrys.

Tomorrow im down on the land digging in a few fruit saplings and building a set of steps down a ditch. Worst paid yet most satisfying job I ever had.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Locked and loaded - house buy/sell is next Thursday morning.

Ready to get'er done

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seminal Flu posted:

Fair enough. She'll get crucified for looking at her phone, but she was in an autonomous vehicle... That'll still be enough to make Uber write a big fat check, though.
Uber should be as well. They either need to train or supervise their employees better.
The whole reason they have a person in the car is to override when things happen.
Uber cars had a number of issues with bikes and peds acting legally in SF, but they were all stopped by the human driver. You're not supposed to think the car is foolproof because it isn't.
The fact that apparently the uber did not attempt to stop at all is the most damning. There's like a 2-3 second gap between when the ped becomes clearly visible in an overly dark video and impact. While avoiding the collision may have been impossible, mitigating the damage was not. The difference between 38 and 25 could literally have been life or death.
A driver has a legal obligation to minimize damages. You can't see a ped who is acting illegally and do nothing and hit them.
I could see possible criminal charges for the "driver" depending on how the laws are structured in AZ, though the defense would have a pretty solid case. Uber's going to be on the hook for aome damages.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

Uber should be as well. They either need to train or supervise their employees better.
The whole reason they have a person in the car is to override when things happen.
Uber cars had a number of issues with bikes and peds acting legally in SF, but they were all stopped by the human driver. You're not supposed to think the car is foolproof because it isn't.
The fact that apparently the uber did not attempt to stop at all is the most damning. There's like a 2-3 second gap between when the ped becomes clearly visible in an overly dark video and impact. While avoiding the collision may have been impossible, mitigating the damage was not. The difference between 38 and 25 could literally have been life or death.
A driver has a legal obligation to minimize damages. You can't see a ped who is acting illegally and do nothing and hit them.
I could see possible criminal charges for the "driver" depending on how the laws are structured in AZ, though the defense would have a pretty solid case. Uber's going to be on the hook for aome damages.

Interesting that you see a 2-3 second gap. I see one second from the moment of illumination to the moment of impact, it all happens at 2:19 on the linked video.

This brings up so many of the questions that have been in the ether about "what if" regarding autonomous vehicles. And it's not as if these are abstract hypotheticals, they are things that WILL happen, we just have to develop the mechanism to deal with them when they do happen.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have been saying for a long time that the biggest problem for self-driving cars is legal liability. Does it fall on the "driver/owner" or is on the manufacturer?
There's going to be long amd protracted litigation and google is going to wish that they'd hit the person so they don't have to deal with uber's likely lovely legal choices.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

I have been saying for a long time that the biggest problem for self-driving cars is legal liability. Does it fall on the "driver/owner" or is on the manufacturer?
There's going to be long amd protracted litigation and google is going to wish that they'd hit the person so they don't have to deal with uber's likely lovely legal choices.

Just wait until an automated car has to make this choice:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

nm posted:

Again, speaking as someone who ended up as a support to the litigation industry... in practice, the liability is going to fall on whoever the insurance company can sue for more money.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nm posted:

This.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Again, speaking as someone who ended up as a support to the litigation industry... in practice, the liability is going to fall on whoever the insurance company can sue for more money.

This case specifically is about setting a precedent.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I don't know the situation of the victim. If there's an insurance company involved, it 100% will end up with a wrongful death suit aimed at Uber; I know that there's a bunch of attorneys who've been sharpening their knives waiting for this. If there's not it'll probably end up getting settled.

Criminal charges is the more interesting question.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any of you guys do a webinar with gotomeeting.com?

I might be attending one next week, but I need to record the streaming video. Is it possible to do that?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Facebook is loving toxic. If it wasn't the only way to keep in touch with certain people I'd delete it right now.

I'm with you on that one.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So on to misc poo poo. I need a toolbox. Something better than the slightly smaller than a shoebox plastic piece of poo poo from Harbor Freight I currently have.

Budget is pretty low, but it needs to be metal, portable, have a couple of drawers, and be capable of carrying more than 2 pounds.

Recommendations?

I have a box for my main socket set (Kobalt 3/8" metric/imperial set) that came with the set; the socket set won't be going into any kind of toolbox (it lives in my trunk in its original case). But all the other random poo poo I have to buy (both household and car) will, aside from large stuff (like my :quagmire: drill). Stuff like crimpers (regular, ethernet, coax), drywall saw, screwdrivers, random low usage sockets (like the 37mm I need to change the timing belt tensioner, 22mm for the shocks) and half inch drive wrench/breaker bar, eventually a torque wrench, etc.

Northern Tool and Harbor Freight will probably be my first stops, though I may check out Sears (... if I can find one). The gf works at Lowe's, so Kobalt stuff is an option if reasonably priced or on clearance (employee discount etc).

My dad got me this Craftsman when I was in high school, and I actively used it until I got my monster roll-away a couple years ago.
Amusingly, when I just checked the Craftsman website to locate a store, the only store it came up with near Irving (TX) is an Ace Hardware in Farmer's Branch. I guess the Sears in Irving Mall is useless, now.gently caress, I just noticed that Sears isn't even in the list of "Purchase legendary Craftsman Products at any of these fine retailers". Wow. It still comes up on Sears website, however: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-dr...CFXQIZQodxFIBdA
$60, so may be too pricey for you. Website says the Collin Creek Mall, Richardson Square, and Stonebriar locations have it.

Northern Tool's are all plastic boxes with no drawers, unless you want to shell out even more than Craftsman for a Homak. Northern Tool doesn't have any either until you get to the big suckers. Lowe's has a few options around $50.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

My dad got me this Craftsman when I was in high school, and I actively used it until I got my monster roll-away a couple years ago.

I also have one of those. It served me very well until it was overflowing and I needed the full size chest.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

I might be attending one next week, but I need to record the streaming video. Is it possible to do that?
No, I had a supplier want to use that with me last month, but our corporate internet policy said nuh-uh.

I assume screencapture software like fraps or somethign would do it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

I don't know the situation of the victim. If there's an insurance company involved, it 100% will end up with a wrongful death suit aimed at Uber; I know that there's a bunch of attorneys who've been sharpening their knives waiting for this. If there's not it'll probably end up getting settled.

Criminal charges is the more interesting question.

Victim is supposedly homeless, no idea if there's any surviving-but-estranged family to take up lawsuits on her behalf.

EEVBlog has his take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjeR13u74Mg

slidebite posted:

I don't recall anything built into the app but I'm certain you could fake it well enough with any sort of screen capture software. There are mobile gotowebinar apps too, so it could perhaps even be easier to view the webinar on your phone and run a screen recording app on it at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my former customers is making insane posts on FB and I think he's going to shoot up his place of employment. I'm concerned enough that I just reached out to some cop friends because holy poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I also have one of those. It served me very well until it was overflowing and I needed the full size chest.

I had that, Craftsman's tiniest rollaway that used another one like it as a top box - whole thing was literally only about 4' tall - plus stuff on pegboard, stuffed under the workbench, etc., and my socket set in a separate toolbox.
The Kirkland 42" wide, 50-something" tall cabinet is loving wonderful. Until this showed up on sale at Costco, I was going to get one of a similar size from Harbor Freight. I still have stuff on the pegboard for ease of access (wrenches in organizers, drill drivers, hammers, and some other stuff) but everything else fits in the rollaway, with power tools in a steel cabinet that I also acquired. I feel somewhat organized, now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys - I've never used any screen capture software before. Anything cheap/free that can be recommended? I realize this isn't the software forum but figured you guys would have some ideas.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

One of my former customers is making insane posts on FB and I think he's going to shoot up his place of employment. I'm concerned enough that I just reached out to some cop friends because holy poo poo.

Have you been cursed? Is your home on an Indian burial ground? How does this kind of trouble always follow you around?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Overheard in my machine design class: "Nah, 1/4 mile drag racing is bullshit, you just need the most horsepower. 1/8 mile is where the real competition is."

Is this a common attitude? Personally I hold that more speed = better than.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

Thanks guys - I've never used any screen capture software before. Anything cheap/free that can be recommended? I realize this isn't the software forum but figured you guys would have some ideas.
OBS Studio?

Enourmo posted:

Overheard in my machine design class: "Nah, 1/4 mile drag racing is bullshit, you just need the most horsepower. 1/8 mile is where the real competition is."

Not sure, but I can kind of see an argument that the shorter a drag is, the more good launch technique and traction matter than grunt, but the entire point of classes in any kind of racing is to make for more even match ups between competitors, so in theory at least it is all a bit workman-blames-his-tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Having run 1/8 mile-only for the first time at Zip Tie drags earlier this year... gently caress that give me the full quarter.

It does put a little more emphasis on traction and launch ability, and a little less on aero and top end power. But outside of comparing wildly different vehicles (big draggy truck vs small sports car) or a car prepped specifically for the 1/8, a car will do about as well in the 1/8 as it will in the 1/4 compared to other vehicles. A quarter mile is still a standing start, and the first 60' still has a huge impact on the remaining 1260'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

Have you been cursed? Is your home on an Indian burial ground? How does this kind of trouble always follow you around?

Former! I'm not a part of it anymore!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

Eh, maybe. Aero matters less in 1/8 than 1/4. You have to be nail your launch. You have less time to recover from a bad start or traction issues through the first couple gears.

For example one of the last Grand Tour episodes where Clarkson was driving a Tesla Model X in a drag race vs a Audi R8 or something. The X demolished the Audi R8 off the line and probably a little more than half way through the 1/4. But once the R8 found its footing and aero started working in its favor, it was closing in fast in the last 1/8. I would have liked to see the trap speeds at the end of the 1/4.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Cars set up for the 1/8th also have different gearing, too. To a point the guy is a little bit right though, there is more emphasis on launch technique as the 1/8 will punish you there more, but if you get a good launch for the 1/4 you're still going to benefit from it too.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Seminal Flu posted:

To come full circle on this the delightful Kristen Bell starring alongside Ted Danson in The Good Place is one of the best shows on TV right now. There was an incredible episode based all around and everyone should watch this show.

Kristen Bell has the most perfect teeth.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

Expect the following to happen in a video conference call:

• People continually saying "Can you hear me now?"
  • Video drop outs
  • People not loving muting when it isn't their turn
  • Mic volume levels to be incorrect for most of the attendees. One member will be quiet, the other one will sound like the PA system at a local sports park
  • Multiple calls to IT support during the meeting
  • About 10 mins out of the 1+ hour of the meeting actually being about the meeting topic

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having (unfortunately) been tasked with running a couple of webinars through it, if they're actually using the GoToWebinar instead of the regular GoToMeeting, the default settings prevent most of that bullshit by automuting everyone who isn't the presenter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think it's just going to go-to meeting.com and logging in with credentials there, they are not asking for any software to be installed.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, has anyone else had what they thought would be a dream job turn into a nightmare?

I took this job working in industrial ammonia refrigeration , thinking it'd be great, and id get to work on stuff that's super interesting., etc...
Only to find out apparently it really sucks. I've been here over a week, and haven't gotten any training in service. It's all been working in manufacturing.
The hours suck. 10hr mandatory days, 12 if you're in the field. . And it's working 17 days without a day off. A normal tour is 10. And you don't get to go home, you get to share a room in a lovely Days Inn. They don't even have a pancake printer for breakfast.

And if you quit while here you have to pay for the flight back. gently caress this was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As the owner of a 60bhp car who's ET and 0-60 are about the same, the 1/8th is less tedious for the spectators :haw:

• Locked thread