Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

What happened at Apple? Apple Maps is actually quite nice to use now. I've been using it for the last week and is easier to read than Waze or Google Maps and works pretty OK. It finally has a speed limit indicator like Waze and has lane directions like Google. They solved the "don't turn here" problem by "stay in lane(s)" indications which is pretty smart. Plus I love having an Oz accented announcer.

One remaining problem with Google and Apple, but not Waze as they don't have lane indicators, is that they show the lane count for the upcoming junction but not for the configuration you are currently on. Around NY and NJ these two are constantly different so you still end up hoping back and forth like a happy Bundo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MrMoo posted:

What happened at Apple? Apple Maps is actually quite nice to use now. I've been using it for the last week and is easier to read than Waze or Google Maps and works pretty OK. It finally has a speed limit indicator like Waze and has lane directions like Google. They solved the "don't turn here" problem by "stay in lane(s)" indications which is pretty smart. Plus I love having an Oz accented announcer.

One remaining problem with Google and Apple, but not Waze as they don't have lane indicators, is that they show the lane count for the upcoming junction but not for the configuration you are currently on. Around NY and NJ these two are constantly different so you still end up hoping back and forth like a happy Bundo.

Apple maps’ biggest problem has always been lack of data. google has had a very long head start on collecting this data whereas Apple had to rely on map providers while it builds its database. as more data fills in it keeps getting better and better, although google does still have a significant lead. the UI was always better than anyone else.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Apple maps is fine except the UI is way too slow

I'll blow by a turn going an incredible 20 miles per hour because the map is doing some annoyingly slow transition that makes it look like the turn is another 1/4 mile ahead

or I'll take a turn and it'll spend 10s slowly reorienting

just show the goddamn route jony

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrMoo posted:

they hired yosposter to work on maps

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Apple maps is fine except the UI is way too slow

I'll blow by a turn going an incredible 20 miles per hour because the map is doing some annoyingly slow transition that makes it look like the turn is another 1/4 mile ahead

or I'll take a turn and it'll spend 10s slowly reorienting

just show the goddamn route jony

google does this too. there’s one junction I use occasionally where there are two turns in quick succession, and at the last moment where I have to commit to the second one google is still slowly drawling “in 50 feet”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soricidus posted:

google does this too. there’s one junction I use occasionally where there are two turns in quick succession, and at the last moment where I have to commit to the second one google is still slowly drawling “in 50 feet”

sometimes it does this correctly. ie "turn right, then immediately turn right" or whatever

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would unironically work at Apple or Google if I could work in a team that used all this vaunted machine learning capability to design a turn-by-turn assistant that was polite and didn’t just blurt out the next direction st the precise microsecond it was due regardless of who was talking.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, the issue with maps isnt the interface for the most part.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's definitely true that apple maps looks better than google maps, but that doesn't matter when it consistently gives wrong/dangerous directions

however, this is easily solved by actually reading the map and knowing where you're going before you leave like a sensible person

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is there a way to edit my iphone/icloud contact list from a windows pc? i want to port a bunch from my old phone but its full of trash so i dont want to use any automated porting. its not too much to do everything on phone either, but i'd be done like 10 times faster if i could type all the emails and non-english names on computer

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is there a way to edit my iphone/icloud contact list from a windows pc? i want to port a bunch from my old phone but its full of trash so i dont want to use any automated porting. its not too much to do everything on phone either, but i'd be done like 10 times faster if i could type all the emails and non-english names on computer

https://www.icloud.com/#contacts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

however, this is easily solved by actually reading the map and knowing where you're going before you leave like a sensible person

i am constantly amazed that this seemingly simple skill eludes people. especially because automated routing is absolutely heinous in a lot of scenarios so having some idea where you're going and how to get there neatly sidesteps the problem of some idiot weighting algo deciding to send you through hell's half-acre

maybe it's growing up walking and taking pubtrans, imo but you generally want to have some idea of how to get where you're going, before you leave.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thank

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i am constantly amazed that this seemingly simple skill eludes people. especially because automated routing is absolutely heinous in a lot of scenarios so having some idea where you're going and how to get there neatly sidesteps the problem of some idiot weighting algo deciding to send you through hell's half-acre

maybe it's growing up walking and taking pubtrans, imo but you generally want to have some idea of how to get where you're going, before you leave.

a good friend's boyfriend was once giving me a ride to a party and needed to pick me up from the liquor store. this was in a warehouse district basically next to his neighborhood, less than half a mile away but on the other side of a pretty gnarly freeway intersection. for sf posters, this was the bevmo on bayshore, coming from like portrero and 24th. so i tell him, look, i know these roads, it's annoying to get here by car, i'm going to walk across the street so you can just come through the intersection and pick me up at like a bus stop instead of trying to make a bunch of terrible turns to get into this exact parking lot, here's exactly what you should do. and he just absolutely cannot handle it, because he has no intention of just following these super-simple directions, he needs a street address that he can put into his gps. so i say fine, i'll just wait in the parking lot, and of course he fucks up even following the gps and he misses his turn and tries to make the next one except that's no good because sure it goes back to the main street but you can't turn left there and he ends up orbiting around these warehouses for like five minutes trying to figure out how to get through to where i am. eventually he shows up and he's obviously super pissed off but trying to make a good show of it and my friend is just sitting there rigid and embarrassed, and we try our best to leave him alone for the rest of the trip

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol that situation is painfully relatable. spatial knowledge and reasoning is important and built upon, so I sorta get that people just can’t think for themselves for a minute, but not so much actively refusing to listen to simple instructions. they must have a really simple mental map of the city, with little more than a series of common routes imprinted on their minds(a nub compared to a cabbie). I’d wager the totally gps dependent don’t relate memory and space very well

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i only use gps when i'm in an unfamiliar place for the first time and not willing to get a bit lost. otherwise i keep that poo poo off so my mental map of the area improves

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
when i was working with universal studios, one of the execs complained at length about folks just jamming UNIVERSAL into gps and ending up at their backlot security entrance, gumming up the line and delaying him from getting to work

then 5 minutes later extolling the virtues of waze, "it takes me thru neighborhoods! i avoid traffic magically by just doing exactly what it says and never second guessing it!"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
one thing not a single navigation app has ever gotten right is roundabouts with multiple exits.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wild EEPROM posted:

one thing not a single navigation app has ever gotten right is roundabouts with multiple exits.

a roundabout without multiple exits is a u turn

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple maps is good at telling me which exit on the many traffic circles in dc to take

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Wild EEPROM posted:

google maps does it just fine :confused:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i hate how apple nav tells me to "take second exit on roundabout" when what it means is to go straight thrpugh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i hate how apple nav tells me to "take second exit on roundabout" when what it means is to go straight thrpugh

they can't say go straight as it'd be five minutes before some guy is phoning his lawyer from his car, precariously balanced on top of an ornament in the middle of the central island of a roundabout

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

sometimes roundabouts have odd number of exits

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

ur dumb

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

rjmccall posted:

a good friend's boyfriend was once giving me a ride to a party and needed to pick me up from the liquor store. this was in a warehouse district basically next to his neighborhood, less than half a mile away but on the other side of a pretty gnarly freeway intersection. for sf posters, this was the bevmo on bayshore, coming from like portrero and 24th. so i tell him, look, i know these roads, it's annoying to get here by car, i'm going to walk across the street so you can just come through the intersection and pick me up at like a bus stop instead of trying to make a bunch of terrible turns to get into this exact parking lot, here's exactly what you should do. and he just absolutely cannot handle it, because he has no intention of just following these super-simple directions, he needs a street address that he can put into his gps. so i say fine, i'll just wait in the parking lot, and of course he fucks up even following the gps and he misses his turn and tries to make the next one except that's no good because sure it goes back to the main street but you can't turn left there and he ends up orbiting around these warehouses for like five minutes trying to figure out how to get through to where i am. eventually he shows up and he's obviously super pissed off but trying to make a good show of it and my friend is just sitting there rigid and embarrassed, and we try our best to leave him alone for the rest of the trip

this is more because people dont know how to loving lay out a city and streets than anything else

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
what i really want is a gps app that shuts the gently caress up and only gives me directions when i ask for them, because i really don't need step by step instructions for how to turn into my own driveway. surely siri or w/e could do that? like it knows where i'm going and i can just ask "is this my exit" if i'm not sure

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

what i really want is a gps app that shuts the gently caress up and only gives me directions when i ask for them, because i really don't need step by step instructions for how to turn into my own driveway. surely siri or w/e could do that? like it knows where i'm going and i can just ask "is this my exit" if i'm not sure

just turn off the voice and glance at the screen to see the street/exit name and turn direction

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
drive with your eyes closed and let jesus take the wheel

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soricidus posted:

just turn it off when you've reached a familiar part of your drive? like, why are you using a gps to get home at all?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

if you don't want to listen to music at the maximum possible volume, just turn it off

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yippee cahier posted:

if you don't want to listen to music at the maximum possible volume, just turn it off

just turn on eu volume mode, its good

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

NEED MORE MILK posted:

this is more because people dont know how to loving lay out a city and streets than anything else

if only every city were on a featureless infinite plain so that the perfection of the grid system would never need to be compromised :trainwithasingletear:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endless Mike posted:

just turn it off when you've reached a familiar part of your drive? like, why are you using a gps to get home at all?

Traffic-based routing? I have a ~15 minute commute by any of 3 main routes (two of them are highways, the other gets blocked by freight trains) that will each individually get completely jammed while the others are fine.

When I don't use GPS to pick which, I regret it more often than not.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NEED MORE MILK posted:

the street grid in that area predates the freeway by a century

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

e: aw goddamned emptyquote button

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I turn off audio queues on all satnavs and use Waze.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pissflaps posted:

cool its pissflaps

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pissflaps posted:

in America they’re audio lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My boyfriend also did that