Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharkopath posted:

their little trailer had pretty bad composite shots of animated kids on cg zoids so small you dont sit in the cockpit, you kinda sit on their neck. I'm upsetti.

That's an especially bad design choice for the scorpion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It looks like they have good staff working on the show tho, might be cool for kids.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Pandora has got to be the lowest I'm setting my expectations for a mecha show in a long-rear end time considering who's behind it. Please prove me wrong cause we're a touch starved for the Good poo poo.

And Tiramisu's almost certainly just a weird comedy thing, and the one-two punch of Daimidaler and Dai Shogun soured me on that idea forever probably, so also low expectations.

...uh, will I need to have seen the rest of FMP before Invisible Victory? If so, better get on that.

...and also will I need to have seen the rest of Build Fighters before Divers?

so drat behind

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

Pandora has got to be the lowest I'm setting my expectations for a mecha show in a long-rear end time considering who's behind it. Please prove me wrong cause we're a touch starved for the Good poo poo.

And Tiramisu's almost certainly just a weird comedy thing, and the one-two punch of Daimidaler and Dai Shogun soured me on that idea forever probably, so also low expectations.

...uh, will I need to have seen the rest of FMP before Invisible Victory? If so, better get on that.

...and also will I need to have seen the rest of Build Fighters before Divers?

so drat behind

Divers is looking to be entirely stand alone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

Probably yes, given how the novels went.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the title Invisible Victory because it can be abbreviated as IV, and its the fourth FMP show.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I like the title Invisible Victory because it can be abbreviated as IV, and its the fourth FMP show.

And there's where the name came from. I was racking my memory trying to figure out what reference was and all I could come up with was some oblique ECS thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also based on where the Novels/Manga go, this season should basically be just drama.

Especially since Fumoffu already adapted most of the later comedy scenes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Also based on where the Novels/Manga go, this season should basically be just drama.

Especially since Fumoffu already adapted most of the later comedy scenes.

The Side Arms books had a number of light-hearted scenes while the main novels got more serious as it went, so there is still a decent amount of comedy to insert.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Midjack posted:

The Side Arms books had a number of light-hearted scenes while the main novels got more serious as it went, so there is still a decent amount of comedy to insert.

Yeah, I was mostly going by the Manga where iirc about the only real comedy stuff left is the penultimate arc which is a really poorly paced flashback arc (Christmas cruiseship hijinks) to breakup some intensely depressing stuff.

Cause like immediately after where the Second Raid ends you have

The comedy half of the premise blown up by Kaname's kidnapping and Sousuke getting outed at school. Then the internal attack on Mithril, a six month timeskip where you lose the Arbalest and the rest of the cast for a huge chunk of the story while Sousuke does his gladiator thing all interspersed with lovely scenes of Leonard being a huge drat creep 24/7 and the incredibly dumb revelations about the Whispered

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 21, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yes, Sigma didn't pull in anything from Side Arms 2 so it followed the more serious tone of the mainline novels. It followed them pretty closely, though, and the scanlations are a much easier read than some of the fanlated novels were.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/zoids_official/status/976665522455568384

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is it Dibison meat..?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/denobots/status/976511868524269569?s=19

https://twitter.com/denobots/status/976835533438685184?s=19

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
:perfect:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some of those comparisons are way too good.

And the others are of anime I did not watch so I can't say.

The Big O one especially just loving slayed me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Xabungle one is outstanding.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lmfao

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's the joke with the Mazinger and Gundam shots?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tsob posted:

What's the joke with the Mazinger and Gundam shots?

Can't speak for Mazinger, but Gundam pilots are disturbed on so many levels.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
He's having a smile near a poster about a power plant. Photon Power etc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yep.

Either you're sane like Loran and therefore disturbed by all the madness of war around you, or you're disturbed like Mika, and therefore, well, disturbed by default.

It's not a guarantee that you'll develop a thousand yard stare, but the odds are definitely in favor.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 21, 2019

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone clarified for me that in that scene Homer is thinking at Bart "I know you can hear me boy!". Which makes the scene fit far better than Homer just looking slightly perturbed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Someone clarified for me that in that scene Homer is thinking at Bart "I know you can hear me boy!". Which makes the scene fit far better than Homer just looking slightly perturbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eD0XcqhUXM

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pacific Rim 2 isn't very good :(

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lolin at the big O one

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pacific Rim 2 isn't very good :(

I was super excited for it until I saw the first actual trailer for it and then I just got depressed. Between the song choice, the visuals they went with for it, and the lack of that Del Toro spark, it just came off as super uninteresting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm gonna go see it anyways but I knew from the first trailer and del toro not being in it that it wouldn't be the same.

I'm guessing the jaegers are much more anime and have much less weight to them that they did in every single scene in the first movie? Which was, like, the entire point of the movie, to try and portray giant robots in a real-world setting no matter how ridiculous they are?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was super excited for it until I saw the first actual trailer for it and then I just got depressed. Between the song choice, the visuals they went with for it, and the lack of that Del Toro spark, it just came off as super uninteresting.

The worst part is that there's good stuff in there. If you completely excised one of the major plot lines, removed a character, and took out the Kaiju, it would be a good movie. But there's just so much that doesn't work it swamps the stuff that does.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's one sequence that's an incredibly blatant Evangelion reference that's pretty great mass-produced unpiloted evil white robots fly in and gently caress poo poo up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pacific rim 2 seems like it takes place at a time of day when anything, ever, can be seen, so its probably better than pacific rim 1

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

pacific rim 2 seems like it takes place at a time of day when anything, ever, can be seen, so its probably better than pacific rim 1

I keep seeing this sort of comment, off and on, and it really doesn't work for me.

Pacific Rim 1, like Jurassic Park, had most of its big shots at night in the rain because night and rain work miracles in the all-important field of making CGI look, to quote the Bard "Less poo poo". It also lets the film set up more dramatic lighting which, again, makes the effects blend better with the environment.

You can see the impact fairly clearly in the one daytime fight scene from Pacific Rim 1. Same effects, but they look notably more fake than the night scenes.

Uprising shows the same thing even in trailers, with none of the weight and impact that made the first film distinct.

I suppose it's a question if you want to put a little more effort into seeing something worth showing, or if you prefer to clearly show something that isn't worth looking at.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CGI is good enough now that you don't need rain or dark to hide it but if you had actual trouble seeing what was going on in the first film you may need to adjust your TV/local cinema.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

George Lucas, every day for the last 20 years posted:

CGI is good enough now that you don't need rain or dark to hide it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I did feel pretty comfortable with following the action in Pacific Rim 1. The fights were in low-light conditions, but contained enough illumination to let you see what was going on. It wasn’t, like, M3 or something.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

if you wanna see two humanoids trading blows in a well lit field watch a kung fu movie dude, there's good ones out there

it's subjective but I had no problem following any of the action scenes in Pacific rim, and I'm glad the title match took place in a neon city at night because a bunch of skyscrapers at noon are super boring to look at

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

If you want to see giant robots punching each other and giant monsters, Pacific Rim Uprising is a great movie.

Thanks for listening.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Imo the fight scenes in pacific rim 1 were absolutely fine, they were gorgeously lit and very easy to follow, most of the hate on them is more people having a more fundamental dislike of the film (which, tbh, PacRim was pretty mediocre overall) but not being able to adequately describe why, and instead latching on to a seemingly valid criticism without examination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Pacific Rim was bad because they didn't kiss at the end.

Kiss, drat you!