Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

looking forward to him coming down to DC this weekend

i hope he beats you with a baseball bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

tekz posted:

i hope he beats you with a baseball bat

:chloe:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ive hated whiskeyjuvenile since helldump, relax

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
you may think i'm a creep threatening people on the internet, but have no fear - i've always been a creep

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Hey US foreign policy are you in the meth business, or the money business?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

rudatron posted:

you may think i'm a creep threatening people on the internet, but have no fear - i've always been a creep

thank you, but also wj isn't people

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that's my secret, cap — i'm always gangstalking

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmaos

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NyxAsheriit/status/975773412013592576

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Where does Liberation Theology go?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

AnEdgelord posted:

Where does Liberation Theology go?

The trash, where it belongs

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

we regret to inform you raul is a revisionist

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/Bitter_Pat/status/976441201330147330

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2UBLb7U70

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Is this not supposed to be dumb

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cool how leftism in the (super online part) of the US is rapidly becoming stop saying 'market based' but all your ideas are all the same and also you Twitter name has a rose emoji now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyway some guy in my DSA chapter's electoral commission described himself as a 'soft Maoist' but had only just that day finished chapter 1 of volume 1 of Capital.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
flaccid maoist

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
marxism-limpism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My bar for being tolerable is not self-describing as a "post-leftist."

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Is this not supposed to be dumb

twitter posts that build up some composite character of your worst mind enemies so they can be burned in virtual effigy ACTUALLY rules

if this can be extended in to liek 5-10 tweets in a good tweet storm, it's even better

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i love it, personally

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/lilbolsheveki/status/976625572335030272?s=19

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

azerbaijan resents being lumped in with armenian ally dogs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
totally bought jason unruhe's book about the economics of the fallout universe

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/jason-unruhe/the-economics-of-fallout-society/paperback/product-22003914.html

this looks suspiciously like johnny five aces

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
lol he has a book about real world economics which is 50 pages shorter than the fallout one

http://www.lulu.com/shop/jason-unruhe/exploring-modern-economics/paperback/product-22805573.html

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

social democracy can be pretty good as long as capital abides

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Oh the other day I finished Shadow Cold War: The Sino-Soviet Competition for the Third World by Jeremy Friedman. I hadn't done any serious reading on the Sino-Soviet split before so it was an illuminating read for me.

Here's a writeup of the book in The Guardian

Julia Lovell's review in the Guardian posted:

In the early 60s, Khrushchev – pushing his post-Stalin doctrine of “peaceful coexistence” – emphasised economic, material aid to these new countries: more butter, fewer guns. Mao-era China banged a more militant drum, arguing for anti-imperialist revolution and denouncing the Soviet Union for selling out developing nations. The Chinese launched a charm offensive through the 60s: they welcomed a stream of visitors from Asia, Africa and Latin America, and produced broadcast and print propaganda in local languages; they pledged generous aid packages even at the peak of a government-manufactured famine. In so doing, they successfully presented themselves as the champion of small nations. “You are still white,” Africans told the Soviets, “but [the Chinese] are yellow, closer to us.”

Soviet policy in the developing world responded with a shift towards militant, anti-imperialist struggle. The USSR stepped up aid to Algeria and Egypt; it dispatched weapons to Congo and to Palestine. By 1976, the Soviet Union had established itself as the sponsor-in-chief, pledging to liquidate “all remnants of the system of colonial oppression”. It bombarded North Vietnam with rhetorical and material support, to woo it away from its Chinese neighbour. Between the 60s and 70s, therefore, conflicts in Vietnam, Africa and the Middle East were driven not only by tension between the Soviets and the Americans, but also by Sino-Soviet competition for influence.

Friedman makes an impassioned case for the idealism of the Soviet Union’s motives in intervening in the developing world. Since the collapse of Soviet and European communism, this has become an unfashionable argument to make: the system’s economic and political crash has seemingly robbed it of any historical validity. Moreover, the more we have learned from archives and memoirs about the personal behaviour of cold war leaders (Khrushchev’s table-dancing, Mao’s womanising), the more cynical we have become about the politics of the era. But Friedman asserts that the cold war fight for the developing world was about more than empire-building by the USSR, US and China.

Something important is lost, he writes, “if we do not see the second half of the 20th century for what it was: an attempt by many around the world to catch up to the most developed countries and achieve a more just and egalitarian division of wealth on both a domestic and an international scale. The cold war may be over … but the fundamental problem of inequality still remains.”

Think there's a lot of room for dissent against aspects of Friedman's theses but on the whole it's a brisk and informative read.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ruzihm posted:

social democracy can be pretty good as long as capital abides

:chloe:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

totally bought jason unruhe's book about the economics of the fallout universe

does he quote rope kid at all

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's not something capital does FYI

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981