Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Razorwired posted:

Find Steed is a thing Paladin get.
If you can find a scroll of Find Steed/Greater Find Steed somehow, a tomelock could add it to their book too, I think.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elysiume posted:

If you can find a scroll of Find Steed/Greater Find Steed somehow, a tomelock could add it to their book too, I think.
It's not a ritual so sadly no but you still get more rituals then you ever need.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Toplowtech posted:

It's not a ritual so sadly no but you still get more rituals then you ever need.
Huh, I don't know why I thought it was a ritual. Maybe I just remembered the 10 minute casting time and assumed it was a ritual.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Elysiume posted:

Huh, I don't know why I thought it was a ritual. Maybe I just remembered the 10 minute casting time and assumed it was a ritual.

It probably would be, like find familiar, but it is a paladin only spell, with exception for Bard, and neither of them are ritual casters without a feat

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bards are ritual casters.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Bards are ritual casters.

OK then Bards once again prove they can do everything

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Speaking of Bards, I'm trying to decide what to do as a Lore Bard when I hit 10. I'm pretty sure that Find Greater Steed would be a sweet pick, but I'm torn between either Destructive Wave or Aura of Vitality. Destructive Wave because we have a Conquest Paladin, and the combo of zero-speed frightened enemies + knockdown is potentially devestating. Aura of Vitality because I'm probably going to go a level into Life Cleric.

I'm primarily playing as control/debuff/support. I gently caress up the enemy with my concentration of choice, and then either toss out healing words to pick people off the ground or proc opportunity attacks with Dissonant Whispers. For damage I got Spiritual Weapon and Thunderbolt. I could also summon a bear by using a magic ring that lets me change one letter of a word to cast Fear as Bear but thats mostly it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Farg posted:

I could also summon a bear by using a magic ring that lets me change one letter of a word to cast Fear as Bear but thats mostly it.
Can you add/remove letters, or just change them?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Can you add/remove letters, or just change them?

for one brief, glorious session yes. but apparently that was too good!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Farg posted:

for one brief, glorious session yes. but apparently that was too good!

Tireball.

Babe.

Cure Pounds.

Fold Person.

Shitter.

The possibilities are endless man.

EDIT: Wait does it literally only work on Fear?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does Gold Person give you the Midas touch, or does it summon a person made out of gold?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Fish

Poresight

Funburst

Magic Bar

Arcane Date

Clink

Magic Couth

Arcane Sock

Chromatic BRB

Massage

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Darkskin

Countersmell

Remove Purse

Cone of Mold

Infernal Balling

Wall of Horse

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Alter Elf

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Control Hater.

Barkvision.

Entingle. Dunno what this'd do, the word just sounds funny.

Inflict Hounds.

Jeb. :jeb:

Lear. Probably best to cast this never, never, never, never, never.

True Sewing.

Now I want to put a magic item that does something like this in a game I'm running.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

gently caress, I'm definitely doing this in my campaign.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh wait I forgot the most powerful spell of all

Lawn.

e: *conjures arcane nexus* SUMMON GREATER LEMON

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

JBP posted:

SUMMON GREATER LEMON

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
chunderwave :ohdear:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tensers floating dick

E:

This is happening to the dickhead hero fighter in our group every time he speaks on the weekend.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Need thoughts from the thread:

Currently playing a friend's homebrew campaign that takes off after the Sunless Citadel. Two of us kept our SC characters, while the other two rolled new characters because it didn't make much sense for their previous characters to continue on. My character is a half-elf (eladrin) Paladin (Vengeance), who multiclassed into Warlock (Hexblade) at level 4. We just hit level 5 and I am trying to decide what the best thing to do is.

I could go Paladin 4 / Warlock 1 and take the Magic Initiate (Warlock) feat. This would let me take another 2 cantrips (was thinking Mage Hand and Toll the Dead) and another warlock level 1 spell (Armor of Agathys). Or I could take Sentinel and make people's lives hell not being able to get away from me in combat.

Alternatively, I could go Paladin 3 / Warlock 2. This would let me take either Eldritch Blast or Eldritch Spear; it also would put me closer to hitting Warlock 3 for my pact boon.

We're a pretty fairly melee heavy group (thief, swashbuckler, eldritch knight), which is why I am branching out into warlock to get some ranged options; also, having the renewable on short rest spell slots is nice. I also have Shatterspike (I got it from the paladin dude at the end of SC) as a weapon, which is nice -- and also my dude's pact weapon. He just hasn't realized that the entity he has entered a pact with is Auril.

Guess I should post my stat blocks too, as that might help. :v:

STR: 16 | DEX: 8 | CON 15 | INT 12 | WIS 10 | CHA 15

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kaysette posted:

Arcane Date

Hey guys, meet my totally real and not magically constructed girlfriend. The one I told you about who's a model but you'd probably never meet her because she goes to school in Bryn Shander.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hey guys, meet my totally real and not magically constructed girlfriend. The one I told you about who's a model but you'd probably never meet her because she goes to school in Bryn Shander.
From your heart or from your hands, why don't people understand your intentions...

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Due to the DM misreading the rules for random encounters, a 3 day trip involved us killing about 20 orcs. Near the end, my character decided the best way to scare off more orcs from attacking us would be to premeptively scare them off by mounting the skulls of defeated orcs all over our wagon, warhammer style.

So a question I had is, since we are close to lvl5 and have a cleric in the group, how awesome would it be to use animate dead on the skull wagon so that everywhere we go a dozen orc heads just constantly scream and yell about how badass we are.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tensokuu posted:

Need thoughts from the thread:

Currently playing a friend's homebrew campaign that takes off after the Sunless Citadel. Two of us kept our SC characters, while the other two rolled new characters because it didn't make much sense for their previous characters to continue on. My character is a half-elf (eladrin) Paladin (Vengeance), who multiclassed into Warlock (Hexblade) at level 4. We just hit level 5 and I am trying to decide what the best thing to do is.

Kinda botched synergy here, since the big thing with Hexblade is using Hexwarrior but your CHA is 15 and your STR 16, which makes STR your better attack stat. Hexblade's Curse and Vow of Enmity also both compete for your bonus action when you do a buff round. Also both rogues should be able to attack from range quite effectively if they pull out shortbows, so I don't think you're particularly lacking as a party in that regard.

From the get go I can tell you not to take Magic Initiate, that's just a bad call all around. Sentinel is a good feat but it faces stiff competition on a Paladin - stickiness is nice, but so nice as to give up a ton of damage or buffing Aura of Protection for? From a combat perspective, the best thing you can do with any ASIs you get is pick Polearm Master or buff your attributes.

What's your Fighting Style? The best way to go sorta depends on what that is.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Kinda botched synergy here, since the big thing with Hexblade is using Hexwarrior but your CHA is 15 and your STR 16, which makes STR your better attack stat. Hexblade's Curse and Vow of Enmity also both compete for your bonus action when you do a buff round. Also both rogues should be able to attack from range quite effectively if they pull out shortbows, so I don't think you're particularly lacking as a party in that regard.

From the get go I can tell you not to take Magic Initiate, that's just a bad call all around. Sentinel is a good feat but it faces stiff competition on a Paladin - stickiness is nice, but so nice as to give up a ton of damage or buffing Aura of Protection for? From a combat perspective, the best thing you can do with any ASIs you get is pick Polearm Master or buff your attributes.

What's your Fighting Style? The best way to go sorta depends on what that is.

See this is what happens when I am left to my own devices having not played D&D since I was a kid. I totally didn't realize that.

Fighting style is Dueling.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Toplowtech posted:

From your heart or from your hands, why don't people understand your intentions...

Wild
Wild Magic

Amber rods and diamond dust
Slots and scrolls and the
Verbal component
We're makin' Wild Magic

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tensokuu posted:

See this is what happens when I am left to my own devices having not played D&D since I was a kid. I totally didn't realize that.

Fighting style is Dueling.

Dueling means there's little compelling reason to go for 2h weapons, so let's stick to 1h plus a shield, and make use of Hexwarrior.

The best fit for that is the game's secretly OP weapon: the humble quarterstaff. It's compatible with Polearm Master, which is the strongest melee feat in the system, giving you an on-demand additional attack plus a reaction attack when enemies walk into your range (so, very likely to go off at least once), and all these hits are compatible with Dueling, so base damage is quite high. You don't need to take it right away, since you've already got Shatterspike, but it'd be my recommendation for the ASI you get after the next if possible. Bear in mind too there are some very good magical staves in the DMG like the Staff of Striking and the Staff of Power, the latter which you are allowed to use due to the Warlock dip, so if you can get your hands on those you're golden.

As for what to do immediately, I'd stick to Paladin till at least Paladin 6 because Aura of Protection rocks, and... actually I really love the Paladin class progression all the way till level 13 (which as of XGE lets you summon a loving Pegasus) so I don't recommend more than 1 Hexblade level until then, but 2 or 3 are totally okay if that's more your style and your DM is being generous with Short Rests. Note Sunless Citadel is one large dungeoncrawl so SRs are easy to justify in it, but that might change as you proceed on a longer campaign and you find yourself just doing a couple encounters a day, if as much.

And for your ASI, then, you could take Elven Accuracy with a +1 to CHA to round up that 15 into a 16. What EA does is effectively adds an extra d20 to attacks with advantage, which for you should be easy to get by activating Vow of Enmity. As mentioned before there's the issue of needing two separate turns to activate both VoE and Hex Curse, but the synergy is pretty strong if you take the time. Alternatively, +1 CHA and +1 CON to round up those uneven stats.

Couple months ago I made an effortpost about optimizing paladins. Obviously the goal there was straight combat optimization (starting right from chargen), so not all might apply to you or what you want out of your character, but reading it should give you a better idea of what my mindset is when I'm giving these recommendations.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 21, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kadath posted:

So a question I had is, since we are close to lvl5 and have a cleric in the group, how awesome would it be to use animate dead on the skull wagon so that everywhere we go a dozen orc heads just constantly scream and yell about how badass we are.

Look, I'm not gonna tell you to definitely do this. But you could do the insanely rad, metal thing.

Or you could, uh, not? For some reason?

Do the insanely rad, metal thing. Animate the poo poo outta those orc skulls. :black101:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Dueling means there's little compelling reason to go for 2h weapons, so let's stick to 1h plus a shield, and make use of Hexwarrior.

The best fit for that is the game's secretly OP weapon: the humble quarterstaff. It's compatible with Polearm Master, which is the strongest melee feat in the system, giving you an on-demand additional attack plus a reaction attack when enemies walk into your range (so, very likely to go off at least once), and all these hits are compatible with Dueling, so base damage is quite high. You don't need to take it right away, since you've already got Shatterspike, but it'd be my recommendation for the ASI you get after the next if possible. Bear in mind too there are some very good magical staves in the DMG like the Staff of Striking and the Staff of Power, the latter which you are allowed to use due to the Warlock dip, so if you can get your hands on those you're golden.

As for what to do immediately, I'd stick to Paladin till at least Paladin 6 because Aura of Protection rocks, and... actually I really love the Paladin class progression all the way till level 13 (which as of XGE lets you summon a loving Pegasus) so I don't recommend more than 1 Hexblade level until then, but 2 or 3 are totally okay if that's more your style and your DM is being generous with Short Rests. Note Sunless Citadel is one large dungeoncrawl so SRs are easy to justify in it, but that might change as you proceed on a longer campaign and you find yourself just doing a couple encounters a day, if as much.

And for your ASI, then, you could take Elven Accuracy with a +1 to CHA to round up that 15 into a 16. What EA does is effectively adds an extra d20 to attacks with advantage, which for you should be easy to get by activating Vow of Enmity. As mentioned before there's the issue of needing two separate turns to activate both VoE and Hex Curse, but the synergy is pretty strong if you take the time. Alternatively, +1 CHA and +1 CON to round up those uneven stats.

Couple months ago I made an effortpost about optimizing paladins. Obviously the goal there was straight combat optimization (starting right from chargen), so not all might apply to you or what you want out of your character, but reading it should give you a better idea of what my mindset is when I'm giving these recommendations.

This is awesome dude, thank you so much!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I was gonna do a Drunken Master monk, do you think Polearm Master would be worth it despite Martial Arts overlapping the butt-end attack? The disengage stapled on Flurry of Blows seems really good for stepping back and daring nerds to take another hit from the staff. Half the feat is duplicative but the other half is stronger than usual on this path. Any thoughts?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Polearm master works with quarterstaff right? If yes then make yours a broom and go full drunken master Jackie Chan with improvised weapons out the rear end.

Also I'm stealing that idea back for a future monk of my own.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Polearm master works with quarterstaff right? If yes then make yours a broom and go full drunken master Jackie Chan with improvised weapons out the rear end.

Also I'm stealing that idea back for a future monk of my own.

I don't want any trouble!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's not the worst use, but you won't always be flurrying and Drunken monks have built-in other uses for their reactions and ki besides.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If I was gonna do a Drunken Master monk, do you think Polearm Master would be worth it despite Martial Arts overlapping the butt-end attack? The disengage stapled on Flurry of Blows seems really good for stepping back and daring nerds to take another hit from the staff. Half the feat is duplicative but the other half is stronger than usual on this path. Any thoughts?

Monks already get a d4 bonus attack baseline, seems kinda silly to take a feat just to get a reaction attack. Also, if the enemies are smart or watch and learn, they're probably not going to just keep rushing you one-at-a-time for you to hit with the staff. Think of it this way: you can either spend 1 ki to disengage and hit a guy for a d8+Dex that walks up to you, or you could spend 1 ki and make 2 d4+Dex attacks on anyone you can reach. Or spend no ki for a single attack like that. The reaction attack is really solid when you have other things to add to it, like Paladin Smites, Great Weapon Master hits with one of the heavy polearms, or Battlemaster maneuvers. It's not amazing as a regular attack. Definitely not worth spending a whole feat on, especially since Monks really, really want to get to 20 Dex and 20 Wis.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Gate posted:

you can either spend 1 ki to disengage and hit a guy for a d8+Dex that walks up to you, or you could spend 1 ki and make 2 d4+Dex attacks on anyone you can reach.

Drunken Master gets the disengage as a free addition to Flurry of Blows. (The feat would come from Variant Human. I know that's not strictly "free," but realistically if I pick another race it's probably gonna be something low-power like Kenku.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 22, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't want any trouble!

Tell bad day bad day bad day into the face of oppoents as you panic in every fight but still win handily

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Drunken Master gets the disengage as a free addition to Flurry of Blows. (The feat would come from Variant Human. I know that's not strictly "free," but realistically if I pick another race it's probably gonna be something low-power like Kenku.

That's fair. I still think that wasting half the feat makes it a pretty poor deal all in all. As mentioned, Monks actually have some reaction abilities already so it's competing with those as well. Lucky is pretty fun and strong, and might fit a Drunken Master kind of theme, Mobile would double down on being able to move through enemies and make you even faster. Alert's another interesting pick that might fit depending on how you see him (actually super drunk, or faking it?).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is there any class besides ranger or fighter that synergizes well with dual hand crossbow madness? Homebrew and UA is allowed, as with my paladin, but a player wants to play what is basically a warhammer witch hunter with two guns (refluffed hand crossbows), but played a ranger last time we played 5e, and dislikes fighters on principle of them being boring and having little to do outside combat.

She would love to find a bard, warlock, or other one that works with crossbows/ranged stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Is there any class besides ranger or fighter that synergizes well with dual hand crossbow madness? Homebrew and UA is allowed, as with my paladin, but a player wants to play what is basically a warhammer witch hunter with two guns (refluffed hand crossbows), but played a ranger last time we played 5e, and dislikes fighters on principle of them being boring and having little to do outside combat.

She would love to find a bard, warlock, or other one that works with crossbows/ranged stuff.

Rogue for sneak attack and mobility?

There is a Scout subclass in Xanthars that you could look into.