Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

"Foreigners are damaging our property."

Literally this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

https://www.svt.se/kultur/medier/svt-tappar-fortroende-bland-aldre-och-alliansvaljare
Say hello to a polarized media climate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Looking at those numbers it seems to be old people being radicalized by Facebook, just like everywhere else. SR even gained in trust!

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheRat posted:

Look at his rap sheet. He's a parachute troll account.

Everybody that don't agree with you are a troll account. Its okay. The voters will decide how the future Scandinavia will turn out... and normal people don't agree with your kind at all.
The rest of us sit in the kiwifarms and laugh at you.

Edit; spelling, there is prob. more but I have to fix what I see.

Heinz Hynkel fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 22, 2018

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

If you're so concerned about rape, why are you voting for FrP?

Well I voted FRP for the first time in my life the last election. Not sure I will do so again. But I don't understand you question. Can you please elaborate?

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Implying that slumming around on kiwifarms makes you a normal person

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

murphyslaw posted:

Implying that slumming around on kiwifarms makes you a normal person

Well that depends about what you consider a normal person. I have to say that the sa thread over there is more fun than this "funny" site has produced in years.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Well I voted FRP for the first time in my life the last election. Not sure I will do so again. But I don't understand you question. Can you please elaborate?
FrP doesn't have the....cleanest record when it comes to rape and sexual assault.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

FrP doesn't have the....cleanest record when it comes to rape and sexual assault.

Yes! That is one thing they have in common with AP. Don't you agree?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Well that depends about what you consider a normal person. I have to say that the sa thread over there is more fun than this "funny" site has produced in years.

Should I be grateful that you stand strong and suffer the awfulness that is this site, relentlessly shitposting?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heinz Hynkel posted:

quite, vote sv

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Potrzebie posted:

Should I be grateful that you stand strong and suffer the awfulness that is this site, relentlessly shitposting?

I don't care about your feelings at all. I have said it before and I will repeat it now: If you get antagonized by my posting... Just block me and gently caress off.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

quite, vote sv

I have to agree with that.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Heinz Hynkel posted:

I don't care about your feelings at all. I have said it before and I will repeat it now: If you get antagonized by my posting... Just block me and gently caress off.

Triggered much? :smuggo:

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Potrzebie posted:

Triggered much? :smuggo:

No, haha, not at all. I was just honest with you. If you dislike my posting so much blocking is a good thing to do. I my self has blocked one person in the Star shitizen thread because he was an annoying post spammer.
Sometimes that is the right move.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Well, I don't vote AP.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Well, I don't vote AP.

Very good! It seems we have one thing in common.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whatever

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks for the fine meme. I am happy that we agree.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
lmao @ u if u dont put a goatse print in the envelope

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Thanks for the fine meme. I am happy that we agree.

You're tearing the forums apart! It wasn't built to handle such burns! :ohdear:

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

THE BAR posted:

You're tearing the forums apart! It wasn't built to handle such burns! :ohdear:

I am so very sorry. I will try to better myself.

Edit; had to change I am sorry to I am so very sorry. Just for you.

Heinz Hynkel fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 22, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

I am so very sorry. I will try to better myself.

Edit; had to change I am sorry to I am so very sorry. Just for you.

I have been defeated, well played.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

THE BAR posted:

I have been defeated, well played.

Well, next time you may try to argue. I am sure you got words of wisdom to share with us all. Right now you just burst into the thread, puking out nonsense. Do not do that. Be the better man.
Tell us what you really think and stand by it. It will be respected.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Well, next time you may try to argue. I am sure you got words of wisdom to share with us all. Right now you just burst into the thread, puking out nonsense. Do not do that. Be the better man.
Tell us what you really think and stand by it. It will be respected.

I am a dried up well; anything I could possibly say withers in your presence, friend. Please, keep showing us the path.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

THE BAR posted:

I am a dried up well; anything I could possibly say withers in your presence, friend. Please, keep showing us the path.

This is a forum for discussion. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

This is a forum for discussion. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

I didn't mean to blaspheme! Can you possibly forgive me? Bring back the light, I am a lost cause without it!

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

THE BAR posted:

I didn't mean to blaspheme! Can you possibly forgive me? Bring back the light, I am a lost cause without it!

Ah, you are just nothing. Why do you even post?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Heinz Hynkel posted:

I am just trying to follow in your footsteps, but I keep tripping up in your mighty strides.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Heinz Hynkel posted:

Alas, we are all but dust in your presence.

Heinz Hynkel
Nov 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Potrzebie posted:

Alas, we are all but dust in your presence.

You are doing fine. Keep it up.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
What the gently caress is happening why are you toying with the brownshirt

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

murphyslaw posted:

What the gently caress is happening why are you toying with the brownshirt

Yeah, I'm not sure. Sorry about that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure. Sorry about that.

I thought he would keep going, but no. I really wanted to comment on blocking him would be meaningless, when he clogs up two full pages of the thread.

E:

Some content instead.

It's good to see Enhedslisten keeping at it, but it's a drat shame they've proven time and time again that they have no desire to be a governing party.

Also the fact, that a vote for Enhedslisten is a vote for Socialdemokratiet doesn't help things.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 22, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I came across these studies:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2016/09/23/denmerica-why-denmark-plus-america-could-be-the-mobility-utopia/
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/08/the-american-dream-isnt-alive-in-denmark/494141/

So apparently Denmark doesn't have that good of social mobility, it just appears so due to tax transfers?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
In a meritocracy you'd expect low social mobility after a family has settled on a rung in the ladder, simply due to children inheriting their intelligence from their parents, which tends to put them in the same place on the ladder. That doesn't mean poor families can't have smart children. It just means that after closing gaps in childrens formative years for 2 generations, there's probably not that much hidden potential as there once was.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
On the economic side of things, a myopic look at income alone seems problematic. It's possible that the US has similar mobility in terms of income alone, but what about the debt you have to accrue to achieve that? If that debt is a function of parental wealth and income, then this is an inter-generational effect that the study seemingly ignores, because it's not directly income-related. A quick googling of the average income for bachelor's/master's degrees in the US and the monthly repayment bill (for people with loans), puts repayment at around 10% of income on average, for 20 years. That' seems like a pretty significant chunk of income, one which could be far greater if you didn't have parental support, reducing real mobility in a way the comparison doesn't account for.

All that aside, focusing on mobility alone seems kinda dumb too. Like, the potential mobility in terms of access to healthcare in the US is enormous, but 10% of people climbing from the "Major illness will bankrupt me" bracket to "I can just go to the hospital, no worries" bracket is not a better situation than 1% of people climbing from the "I can just go to the hospital, no worries" bracket to the "I can pay to skip the line" bracket.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The cited paper is basically a classical liberal/conservative hit piece, manufactured ammunition for the current "lower all taxes, hack and slash, privatize everything, abolish unions" right-wing government.

They're claiming the American labor model is one to admire, with is just laughably false. The language used in the report and the articles you link is full of little barbs at the "high tax burden and generous redistribution to the poor", automatically taking the stance that this is somehow a bad thing, and repeating the right-wing nonsense that higher marginal taxes somehow discourage people from seeking higher education.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 25, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

At least the Americans were smart enough to ban yellow "unions". They have that going for them, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

On the economic side of things, a myopic look at income alone seems problematic. It's possible that the US has similar mobility in terms of income alone, but what about the debt you have to accrue to achieve that? If that debt is a function of parental wealth and income, then this is an inter-generational effect that the study seemingly ignores, because it's not directly income-related. A quick googling of the average income for bachelor's/master's degrees in the US and the monthly repayment bill (for people with loans), puts repayment at around 10% of income on average, for 20 years. That' seems like a pretty significant chunk of income, one which could be far greater if you didn't have parental support, reducing real mobility in a way the comparison doesn't account for.

All that aside, focusing on mobility alone seems kinda dumb too. Like, the potential mobility in terms of access to healthcare in the US is enormous, but 10% of people climbing from the "Major illness will bankrupt me" bracket to "I can just go to the hospital, no worries" bracket is not a better situation than 1% of people climbing from the "I can just go to the hospital, no worries" bracket to the "I can pay to skip the line" bracket.

Great post.

That said, I also wonder if there are any studies on social mobility and wealth. Income is far too limiting, as you said.

KozmoNaut posted:

The cited paper is basically a classical liberal/conservative hit piece, manufactured ammunition for the current "lower all taxes, hack and slash, privatize everything, abolish unions" right-wing government.

They're claiming the American labor model is one to admire, with is just laughably false. The language used in the report and the articles you link is full of little barbs at the "high tax burden and generous redistribution to the poor", automatically taking the stance that this is somehow a bad thing, and repeating the right-wing nonsense that higher marginal taxes somehow discourage people from seeking higher education.

Brookings is our "left" wing media while The Atlantic is our "center". Yes, it's sad.

Though I do think they have a point of social mobility should only be measured pre-tax.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 26, 2018