Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

Giving Munchkin a more deliberate ending is (on paper) pretty easy...eliminate most of, if not all, of the dumb "take that" stuff from the game. Of course just doing that by itself probably wouldn't make the game actually good or anything, but the primary reason Munchkin games take forever to resolve is because as soon as one person winds up being clearly ahead of the others everyone else gangs up on them to drag them back down like the metaphorical bucket of crabs.

Yeah, ultimately I'd say there are two solutions I'd use: one, have a time limit, but a blind one where you don't know exactly how long you've got, perhaps using a deck of dungeon floors each with a #, and when they add up to 10, game's over and you count up people's levels and use the gold value of their items as a tiebreaker. You could even have different effects for each floor to mix things up, since it's just a rando deck-drawing game anyway. Two, you could also have some kind of hidden goals like some versions of Illuminati, and if somebody reaches their hidden elf goal to get a bow and boots, or their dwarf goal to kill three evil humanoids, or whatever, game's over then and there.

It's hardly untenable to make a quick random game of goofy nonsense that's at least punchy, the problem is that Munchkin has a midpoint where people have just enough stuff but not too much, and that's where the game needs to end. But it doesn't do that, and just ends up being a bunch of crabs in a bucket for probably a good half-hour to an hour longer than it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Scyther posted:

I had to ask because I vaguely remember seeing the writer post about Witch Girls in a board game group on facebook a while back and I had precisely the same thought of "Oh this looks like a neat game for younger players". Christ.

They are actually doing a card game now, too...

I vaguely remember someone on another forum who posted about being in an RP group with Abby Soto (the lady behind most of the fetishy art). It was an Xmen game, and she had Wolverine straight up dismember a policeman. Needless to say, Cyclops - and Cyclops’ player - had issues with this. But as far as she was concerned, she did it because it was fun, no one really got hurt, and if Cyclops wanted to argue with Wolverine about it then that was only because Cyclops’ player thought it would be fun to have an argument.

But having Witch Girls Adventures be transformed (heh) by System Mastery from a fetish game into punch fairy world was just magnificent.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hyphz posted:

They are actually doing a card game now, too...

I vaguely remember someone on another forum who posted about being in an RP group with Abby Soto (the lady behind most of the fetishy art). It was an Xmen game, and she had Wolverine straight up dismember a policeman. Needless to say, Cyclops - and Cyclops’ player - had issues with this. But as far as she was concerned, she did it because it was fun, no one really got hurt, and if Cyclops wanted to argue with Wolverine about it then that was only because Cyclops’ player thought it would be fun to have an argument.

I'd say the man who was dismembered felt a lot of pain.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Plutonis posted:

I'd say the man who was dismembered felt a lot of pain.

That’s “no one really got hurt” as in nobody in the real world. That guy, he wasn’t real, so who cares? If you read the WGA comics in that light they make a lot more sense, although they still seem pretty psychotic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

The topic of Munchkin and Monopoly came up in the KS thread:

I'm of the opinion that the leading cause of Monopoly turning into an endless slog is all of the "houserules" that people implement that give people extra cash*, as well as ignoring one of the key rules - if a person lands on a property but can't immediately buy it for its listed price, then it goes into auction among all the other players, which causes the board to be completely bought-out much sooner than if you could just "skip" buying a property that you couldn't afford.

Between these two things, you should be able to reduce Monopoly to a 60-90 minute game, since people will run out of cash that much sooner.

In that context, what would it take, or how would change Munchkin, to make it shorter and have a more deliberate ending?

________

* that Monopoly turns into a game where nobody loses as long as The Bank keeps re-injecting money into the system to ensure that everyone stays afloat is also an allegory for ... something
A problem with running monopoly straight is that you can lose well before the game ends. Which is kind of the point but w/e. So even if the game only lasts for 60 minutes you have one player unable to meaningfully interact with it for the last 45, at which point it's definitely dragging on for that guy. The various houserules are intended to mitigate this, but since the game is explicitly about knocking out the other players it's kind of a catch 22. So yeah, there is no way to play monopoly without it dragging on for most of the players. It's the entire point of the game.

As others have said, for munchkin replacing the "reach 10" goal with "have the most stuff by point X" and adding some hidden goals that can boost your stuff rating is probably the way to go.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Munchkin matches take more than 30 minutes to end after the expansions? It being a big loving time wasting slog like Monopoly never happened to me.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I don't understand why would you play Munchkin when One Deck Dungeon and Red Dragon Inn exist.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Because I can't find them on sale????

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't understand why you would play munchkin at all

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well game length can vary, but I've definitely seen large games last around 4 hours in just a cycle of people clawing the frontrunner down in Munchkin. Games can go fast if you don't get into that cycle or if somebody gets a lucky run, but since there isn't a technical end point time / turn limit, you can easily have a group of canny players taking turns shoving each other over.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 20, 2018

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Splicer posted:

A problem with running monopoly straight is that you can lose well before the game ends. Which is kind of the point but w/e. So even if the game only lasts for 60 minutes you have one player unable to meaningfully interact with it for the last 45, at which point it's definitely dragging on for that guy. The various houserules are intended to mitigate this, but since the game is explicitly about knocking out the other players it's kind of a catch 22. So yeah, there is no way to play monopoly without it dragging on for most of the players. It's the entire point of the game.

As others have said, for munchkin replacing the "reach 10" goal with "have the most stuff by point X" and adding some hidden goals that can boost your stuff rating is probably the way to go.

it would still be a poo poo game but you could make monopoly substantially better by replacing the win condition with a $ accumulated or properties owned condition

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
My wife's brother and cousins went down the basement to play Rick and Morty Munchkin at our last family gathering. I went down to chat with them and they were laughing because they had killed one cousin on round 1. Haha, now u can't play. I went down 3 hours later. They were still playing the same game and nobody had won yet.

Do not play Munchkin. Not even once just to see how it is. You will have more fun just hanging out and poo poo-talking while the others play.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

My wife's brother and cousins went down the basement to play Rick and Morty Munchkin at our last family gathering. I went down to chat with them and they were laughing because they had killed one cousin on round 1. Haha, now u can't play. I went down 3 hours later. They were still playing the same game and nobody had won yet.

Do not play Munchkin. Not even once just to see how it is. You will have more fun just hanging out and poo poo-talking while the others play.
Dying in munchkin just means you lose your stuff. Dying on turn one has very little impact. Munchkin is a bad game but they're not even playing it right. Your wife comes from idiot stock, my apologies.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jimbozig posted:

Except if you die you just spend your next turn drawing. One of the better things about Munchkin is how there is no player elimination, so even if you can no longer win you can still participate.

I have a fondness for Munchkin, even if it isn't a great game.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the best thing about eternal damnation is that no matter how times the demons rip out your guts, you just get right back up the next morning

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I remember going to meetup where I started a game of Twilight Struggle (that didn't end early and went the full 10 turns) at the same time as a a group of 5 started their game of munchkin. Two hours in we had finished playing, and the munchkin table was still in full swing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Also, why play Munchkin when you can play Munchkin d20, I ask? Graduate your game.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also, why play Munchkin when you can play Munchkin d20, I ask? Graduate your game.

I said a fondness, not Stockholm Syndrome :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Rick and Morty Munchkin.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Munchkin d20 reminds me that I once had a notion for awhile of running "The Last d20 Game", where players are allowed to use any mechanical material as long as it was non-optional material from a printed (core-reliant) d20 book. Not "last" as in "the last ever", but more "the last you'll ever need to play".

Of course, with Pathfinder 2nd edition on the horizon, it may mark a final break of large-scale support for something closely resembling the house that Cook, Tweet, and Williams built. "Classic" d20 will always be around in some sense, but it makes me wonder at what point Dungeons & Dragons 3.X can be considered genuinely left behind.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Rick and Morty Munchkin.

The words that greet you when your soul slips the surly bonds of earth and descends into hell.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Foglet posted:

Yes, those are both good (can't wait to see the finalized version of Lancer since I'm usually not too keen on investing much effort into games still under constructon), but my current go-to mecha game is Remnants, even with its specific postapoc setting.

Alas, they all are still in a lower weight class compared to what CTech potentially could've become if it had anything good besides the art.

This game looks rad as hell, somehow I missed EM’s original F&F, and it was on sale along with its expansion books. Thanks!

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Pieces of Peace posted:

This game looks rad as hell, somehow I missed EM’s original F&F, and it was on sale along with its expansion books. Thanks!
I've also heard good things about Tiny Frontiers: Mecha and Monsters.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Not really an RPG exactly, but if you like grid-based tactical combat and also mechs, you really owe it to yourself to play Into the Breach. It's a wonderfully pure expression of turn-based combat as a puzzle to solve.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Foglet posted:

Yes, those are both good (can't wait to see the finalized version of Lancer since I'm usually not too keen on investing much effort into games still under constructon), but my current go-to mecha game is Remnants, even with its specific postapoc setting.

Pieces of Peace posted:

At the risk of sounding egotistical, I'm always so happy when people find new good games because of me. :3:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

quote:

EDIT: Realized this post is about Munchkin and not Monopoly

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 21, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

In that context, what would it take, or how would change Munchkin, to make it shorter and have a more deliberate ending?

Well, I tried this out a couple times. It worked, but it wasn't really with a group negatively disposed to Munchkin in the first place.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/WOIN?utm_source=sendy&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=289WOIN

Is there any Earthly reason I should even look at this fantasy Heartbreaker? It's the old is new thing from the guy from ENworld. Its on sale on the bundle of holding.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Covok posted:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/WOIN?utm_source=sendy&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=289WOIN

Is there any Earthly reason I should even look at this fantasy Heartbreaker? It's the old is new thing from the guy from ENworld. Its on sale on the bundle of holding.

There's an SRD available. From poking around, I can't say it looks like anything special, aside from the elaborately-punctuated names (O.L.D., N.E.W., and N.O.W.).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

It prides itself on being a crunchy kind of game, and I personally don't have much time for that sort of thing anymore.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Looking at the preview adventure and rules, O.L.D. / N.E.W. feels like a melange of other generic systems smushed together. Characters even at modest levels seem to have a lot of fiddly bits to remember like 9 to 13 specific low-impact abilities, most of them feeling a lot like fate stunts. Attributes are dice values, though I have to wonder how much the authors are taking dice curve values into account; a "routine" task requires a roll of 10, and a "difficult" task is 16 (with nothing inbetween), and then the required threshold for success on a roll only goes up for there. Most of the sample characters are rolling their attribute (2d6 or 3d6) plus maybe a skill (1d6 generally, 2d6 if they're highly specialized, very rarely 3d6), and they might have 1d6 added by some trait, to a maximum of 5d6 within the scope of the adventure. That means if you're completely specialized for a task, you'll make difficult tasks... a little more than half the time. There's a weird difficulty gap where 4d6 will slam out routine tasks all the time but struggle with difficult tasks. It's weird the way they tiered that, but that's the only issue that stands out to me. Casters are mana-based and path-based (that is, they have say, "fire spells" and then get spells available on a list of fire spells up to their current level), and they don't seem too dominating but do seem more versatile than other characters in the way you'd expect for a d20-inspired game.

Ultimately, it doesn't feel focused in any particular way and doesn't seem to offer anything new that Savage Worlds, FATE, or Open d6 don't already do, other than having a slightly more d20 influence in there. I guess you're looking to move from a d20 system to a slightly more open system it'd be a gentle shift, but it mostly just feels really derivative.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
https://twitter.com/dialacina/status/976888216740605954

luv 2 have my peoples' history used like this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Ah. The mythical spirit creatures of my people; a snake, a chubby panther man, and Dhalsim" got a laugh from me at least.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why add fantasy poo poo to historical irl wargames

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Look how fuckin red they are holy poo poo. That is hosed up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is that a loving space canoe

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Is that a loving space canoe

No, it's a regular canoe. The "Star Crush" logo isn't for whatever game has "rules for 28mm skirmish battles in the heroic age of the Great Lakes First Nations."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But they had to put canoes in there, in a wargame. I guess it's a troop transport.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Seriously not sure about the panther/naked bear or the giant but the horned serpent is incredibly weird considering that I remember it being considered a metaphor for white people.

Speaking of the book purports to be about warfare before europeans ever touched the continent and lo and behold there are two white guys with muskets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There were gunpowder weapons on the american continent before the Europeans came.¹

¹Crusader Kings 2 - Sunset Invasion