Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

BarronsArtGallery posted:

jesus christ this thread gives me hemorrhoids

"teleportation"

how about you teleporthefuckout of here because no one cares about nitpick bullshit. It was a bold movie and better than the prequels.

Not editing your film is a bold choice, I agree. Lucas was severely limited by his inability to fully embrace causality-free filmmaking.

Think about how much time ROTJ wasted on the stupid “rescuing Han” scenario when ESB could have simply ended with him inexplicably escaping his predicament off-screen instead! God forbid Disney actually complicate their trilogy with continuity.

Sio fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BarronsArtGallery posted:

jesus christ this thread gives me hemorrhoids

"teleportation"

how about you teleporthefuckout of here because no one cares about nitpick bullshit. It was a bold movie and better than the prequels. Also watching the behind the scenes, it really makes me furious that Hamill wansn't up for Best Supporting Actor. He fundamentally disagreed with the character as written, but he loving sucked it up and gave a phenomenal performance. He literally cried and collapsed while filming the Jedi temple scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnAqVdbpKt4

dude is a loving incredible actor. loving robbed. Bigly.

All the emotion of how badly Luke was treated in the screenplay by Rian "Dick" Johnson must have come floating at the surface in this scene. It is not only Luke falling on his knees in this scene. It is Mark falling on his knees for how poorly he was treated during the whole production.

12 Likes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s still shocking how much hate this movie gets. Absolutely shocking

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of people hated Jesus when he was around too :smug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why does everyone care so much about the origin of Snoke?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not everyone does. He could have stuck around a little longer as a good villain.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

You complain about the Prequels a decade after the fact.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Not everyone does. He could have stuck around a little longer as a good villain.

Certainly, but most of the complaints about his demise run, "We don't know where he came from," rather than, "There were still places he could have gone."

I'm more in sympathy with the latter, although I did enjoy the scene (I was very surprised in the cinema when it happened).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You complain about the Prequels a decade after the fact.

People complain about the prequels on SA because we’re going on a decade of the same lovely hot takes about evil jedi theocracy and robot slaves

Everything i say is good and correct, zizek wrote aotc

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People complain about the prequels on SA because we’re going on a decade of the same lovely hot takes about evil jedi theocracy and robot slaves

The whole saga hinges on a scene of slaves being purchased. There were three movies showing that the Jedi are evil idiots.

People should have accepted these things by now.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You should've registered as Edgar Allen Pwned... U screwed up big time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

by undercutting tfa's mysteries tlj has fully revealed to people how much of a nothing film tfa was

if snoke had some important backstory that tied into things we could pretend his existence in tfa wasn't just 'well we need another emperor figure, make andy serkis look ugly and we'll figure something out for him to do later'

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm more in sympathy with the latter, although I did enjoy the scene (I was very surprised in the cinema when it happened).

Yeah it was good and I enjoyed it. I guess from some Star Wars fan perspective you want more back story to obsess over but I still had plenty of fun when I saw it. For example when I was a kid I got the character book and the vehicle book and loved the hell out of them and spent plenty of summer vacation nights reading them. This was generally before the internet was widespread so it was an aggregate of the comics and novels. Now I generally just go to movies these days with the intention of having fun and not thinking too much about things. It’s just more fun that way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My only complaint is that Snoke should have been called Darth Icky, as Lucas intended.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

My only complaint is that Snoke should have been called Darth Icky, as Lucas intended.

This would not surprise me at all and therefor I have no choice but to take this seriously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lucas visited the studio where one of the Force Unleashed games was being produced and, presumably because he didn't think much of it, suggested that the main character's Sith name should be "Darth Icky" or "Darth Insanius".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Was Lucas really disdainful of those games? He should be, of course, they were awful

Even from a gameplay pov the force powers in jedi knight were just more fun.

Given how anything labelled star wars sells it’s pretty amazing how few decent video games about star wars exist. At this point all the games people liked are more than a decade old.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Star Wars has managed to fare better than Star Trek games wise at least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gorelab posted:

Star Wars has managed to fare better than Star Trek games wise at least.

This is true; to my knowledge, no Star Wars game publisher has--yet, anyway--sued Lucasfilm or Disney with the complaint that they were sabotaging the IP and therefore destroying game sales.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The whole saga hinges on a scene of slaves being purchased. There were three movies showing that the Jedi are evil idiots.

There have been 6 now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think you're mistaken there, nobody gives a poo poo about the origin of Snoke.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

snoke was clearly luke projecting an alien form

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Johnson did the right thing with Snoke: use him to help push Kylo's story along, give him some hilariously overstylized pulp fantasy lines, and then get him out of there

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Some interesting things from the Director's Commentary track - some of which I'm sure has already been covered:

Rose was meant to be a grumpy eeyore before becoming a fangirl

The porg mother and chicks on the Falcon were kept in because Kennedy liked them

Kelly and John spent the last two weeks perfecting the reaction shots for the fathier chase (motion control rigs were involved)

Frank Oz suggested a more interesting introduction for Yoda, and helped with the editing process, and that it was Mark Hamill's reactions to the puppet that helped bring the scenes to life

Holdo's actress kept saying "pew pew" when firing the blaster

Much like Ewan and Hayden during Episode III, Adam and Daisy had the throne fight down so well that it freed Johnson to instead focus on camera work and avoided close-ups to cover lack of skill on the actors' part

The Falcon flying through Crait was modeled after the Star Tours comet sequence

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

All the emotion of how badly Luke was treated in the screenplay by Rian "Dick" Johnson must have come floating at the surface in this scene. It is not only Luke falling on his knees in this scene. It is Mark falling on his knees for how poorly he was treated during the whole production.

12 Likes.

24 Likes and counting.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think you're mistaken there, nobody gives a poo poo about the origin of Snoke.

I care. Snoke absolutely crushed the lives of the heroes we loved, broke their hearts to pieces. :smith: I don't need to know everything about Snoke, but I just want an explanation as to how Snoke turned Ben, and how he got access to him in the first place. Leia knew it was him who turned Ben. Luke knew something about Snoke too. Snoke is coded like a metaphor for a child molester. What did he do and how?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

AndyElusive posted:

12 Likes.

ahahahah at first I thought you were making this comment itt instead of quoting some ~*youtube badass*~

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In my fanfic I right the wrongs Rian Johnson did to the virtue and character of Luke Skywalker.

Now it turns out that Luke really wants to go fight a star war but his x-wing broke and R2 wasn't there to help fix it. Once the Mary Sue helps him make repairs he and R2 fly to Snoke's ship alone, crash through the window and then he does all the best moves with his (GREEN!) lightsaber. This is what the real fans want to see.

I've also removed Admiral Holdo and Rose

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You can't introduce a character of such massive importance as Snoke into an established universe without explanation. The Emperor was talked about since ANH and did not contradict the universe as established prior to his reveal as a Dark Side user in ESB. The organization he leads (The Empire) is also established in what it is and how it works, It existing at all is an integral part of the setting and narrative. The organization that Snoke leads by contrast has none of these things and in fact contradicts the setting. Smoke needs an explanation because otherwise he breaks the narrative. Unfortunately any backstory would likely be bad anyway because of the aforementioned. He was a bad idea at his conception.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ema Nymton posted:

I care. Snoke absolutely crushed the lives of the heroes we loved, broke their hearts to pieces. :smith: I don't need to know everything about Snoke, but I just want an explanation as to how Snoke turned Ben, and how he got access to him in the first place. Leia knew it was him who turned Ben. Luke knew something about Snoke too. Snoke is coded like a metaphor for a child molester. What did he do and how?

Molestichlorians.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Maybe he should have come back from his outer rim operations and said to the New Republic, "yeah, I respect your authority. I will continue to serve you with my loyal troops." Then later Snoke sues for Luke to stand trial. The New Republic Senate is torn apart as there are many salty folks still serving. Before the Republic is able to apprehend Skywalker, he flees. The senators on the side of Luke do their Senate poo poo in the Hosnian system, whereas the anti-Luke ones hold their Senate meetings elsewhere (one or both sides refused to assemble in the official Senate).

Snoke is a known figure. Ben Solo gets turned by Snokes mission statement. Yada yada.

I don't give a poo poo if this or some other back story was tucked away in some limited edition breakfast cereal box comic strip. They could have set the scene better is all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

You can't introduce a character of such massive importance as Snoke into an established universe without explanation. The Emperor was talked about since ANH and did not contradict the universe as established prior to his reveal as a Dark Side user in ESB. The organization he leads (The Empire) is also established in what it is and how it works, It existing at all is an integral part of the setting and narrative. The organization that Snoke leads by contrast has none of these things and in fact contradicts the setting. Smoke needs an explanation because otherwise he breaks the narrative. Unfortunately any backstory would likely be bad anyway because of the aforementioned. He was a bad idea at his conception.

Well they did so maybe you need to update your cinema rules ?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

all questions will be answered in 2022's snoke: origins, directed by the safdie brothers garth davis

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smokes origins are in the novel and they don’t add anything important to the drama on screen.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Smokes origins are in the novel and they don’t add anything important to the drama on screen.

What drama?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the movie the the last Jedi.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The problem isn’t Snoke’s lack of origin per se, it’s that it’s unclear what he is. The Emperor is very clearly defined—in A New Hope he’s the unseen autocratic leader of the tyrannical pan galactic government. He’s like Cassar or augustus or Hitler (since it seems the repuvblic is still being dismantled when the movie begins) Then in Empire he’s also a dark wizard and Vader’s evil daddy.

What is Snoke? Is he an emperor wannabe? A crazy Trump businessman turned guerilla? Osama bin Laden? A disgruntled Republican?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s the supreme leader who has led the first order to domination over the republic and is also an evil space wizard.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

euphronius posted:

He’s the supreme leader who has led the first order to domination over the republic and is also an evil space wizard.

Is Supreme Leader a military position? What’s the First Order?

Honestly just going by the language this stuff sounds like North Korea or some wacky Third World militia—but then they have the muscle to take over the galaxy in weeks, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Dp

• Locked thread