Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Coolguye posted:

a point where a weapon just suddenly starts doing more damage/pushing harder/cleaving more. it isn't a point by point smooth progression, it just gets an entire chunk of bonus damage/etc all at once

Is there a list somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Xaris posted:

Is there a list somewhere?

nope, not that i've seen!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang it is crazy how much of a god beam staff Pyro is compared to any of the Saltz or Kruber classes. I'm bummed I'm not going to get to play with it for very long before they nerf it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fadam posted:

Dang it is crazy how much of a god beam staff Pyro is compared to any of the Saltz or Kruber classes. I'm bummed I'm not going to get to play with it for very long before they nerf it.
depends on how they nerf it

but alternatively, play unchained and get good with not clutching the beam (entirely anyways, still very much so). it's more fun and interactive. Also Bolt Staff is pretty drat good too

I would hope Conflagration and Fireball staffs see some buffs tho

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It definitely isn't a smooth progression, because damage numbers on dummies is always a fairly rounded number like 2250 or whatever. You'll never hit a dummy for 2257 damage because your HP went up a gew points.

That's because damage values displayed on the dummies are multiplied by 100. The actual damage is 22.5 or 22.75. It rounds to the nearest 1/4 (though it's possible only the display does), which is why you never see weird stuff like 2263.

I'm not sure about this "break point" stuff, I haven't seen any evidence of it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I don't think you understand numbers if thats your reasoning

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Taffer posted:

That's because damage values displayed on the dummies are multiplied by 100. The actual damage is 22.5 or 22.75. It rounds to the nearest 1/4 (though it's possible only the display does), which is why you never see weird stuff like 2263.

sure, the damage is multiplied because for some reason fatshark doesn't like decimals, but you still only get the benefit from the half or full base step-ups unless the dummies are outright lying and the actual game uses a different damage mechanic entirely - and that's the real focal point here. hero power is like 90% of the value of a piece of gear but there is no need to obsessively trade up because you get an extra couple points of hero power - most hero power step-ups make no difference at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Taffer posted:

Increasing your power level will increase your damage in discrete chunks. That's a breakpoint, which is trivially easy to check on the dummies. Increasing your power by 5 won't change your damage most of the time, then suddenly it increases your damage by 25. Even if that's just some weird rounding error (which I don't believe), its still a breakpoint because it means that every increase in hero power is meaningless until suddenly, it means you round up in damage instead of down, eg, you passed a breakpoint. And now you do more damage.

There are other, more meaningful ones in addition to damage curves, such as hits-to-kill. That one should at least be obvious as to its importance.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I'm a fan of the swiftbow even in legendary, easy to mow down hordes or if things go very badly, kiting while dodging and shooting until everything chasing you is dead, only downside is it doesn't stun armored enemies and distant rattling gunners aiming at you can be a pain, but that's what your ultimate "delete everything in this general direction" button is for.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I would kindly invite everyone to consider the following.

TURN

AROUND

When nothing is going on and you are just jauntily jogging with your team waiting for rats, TURN AROUND. Whenever you haven't seen your team in the last 5 second but are assuming they are still there, TURN AROUND. When you are trying to fight, TURN AROUND. Whenever you are doing literally anything in the game take a moment to TURN AROUND for less than half a second and check behind you. For what? Literally anything. Flankers, a silently spawned backdoor horde, a teammate that stopped your stupid rear end from getting oneshot from a booty smack because you didn't notice the 10 foot tall armored man behind you and nor did the rest of your team so now you're leaving them to solo it, a special that targets your lagging behind teammate cause everyone on your team is too simple too understand the previous concept, or specials in general. Treat yourself like a TF2 heavy at all times and TURN AROUND with a quick flick to check your back as often as you can spare a moment to do so. You only need to look for 1/60th of a second (assuming you get 60fps). Long enough to make sure nothing hinky has gone on since the last time you looked about 3-5 seconds ago. Yes I know you think you are doing the super important job of gently caress All while drooling on your keyboard, but please TURN AROUND. I know you think mindlessly charging power attacks with your 2Hander against this piss easy horde is the most vital job in existence, but please TURN AROUND. If only for a split second, TURN AROUND.

Cause chances are I am there looking at you very angrily cause I spent all game looking behind you for you and wondering how you didn't notice the tidal wave of crap that snuck up on you. Turn around so you can see how disappointed I am in you.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Preach. The first rule of each Vermintide on any difficulty: THEY ARE ALWAYS BEHIND YOU!!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Be nice. Some players only know how to hold down the forward key the entire game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
No you don't get it. If I run ahead as fast as possible, it becomes everyone else's job to turn around and watch my back. And if I get isolated, that's everyone else's fault for not keeping up. After all, I didn't notice any hordes coming from the back, now did I?

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Don't get me wrong. Whenever I get elf, I make my major occupation to keep everyone's butt unmolested by their Creepy Uncle Ratte. Competent people do not need me spamming down hordes, and rushing in to 'help' when one person can manage the whole wave is just trying to inflate my own numbers. Elf is very good at hopping through small targets very quickly with their mobility and more agile weapons. I like people being able to focus on what's important, and cascade failure starts with unnoticed back attacks in 99% of cases. If I have a moment I'll also roll up enemy flanks a bit to make the horde more managable before keeping an eye out again.

It's not the GREEN CIRCLE job, but I like winning.

Still, please TURN AROUND. Chances are I can't handle every single problem for you, or the job of antiflank has separated me from you for any number of reasons I can't really control without help.

Edit: On that note, I realize I have implied that using my short bow to help spam down hordes can be seen as a measure of my current confidence in you. Honestly.. that's probably accurate. That or I just got bored and have infinite ammo anyway.

Fuuka Ayase fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 22, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Fuuka Ayase posted:

TURN AROUND
:agreed: Always check your six

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Myth of Orpheus is a lie. Do look back.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
E. WRONG THREAD

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Xaris posted:

depends on how they nerf it

but alternatively, play unchained and get good with not clutching the beam (entirely anyways, still very much so). it's more fun and interactive. Also Bolt Staff is pretty drat good too

I would hope Conflagration and Fireball staffs see some buffs tho

I think it's already been nerfed, so that you can't just wait for a crit beam and go to town.

Recent Patch Notes posted:

Beam staff now determine crits for each overcharge tick (each 0.45 seconds) instead of for the duration of the attack. This change was made in order to ensure a predictable crit rate that could not be manipulated.

Beam is still good, but I prefer bolt over beam especially with the crit to temp health talent. Also, now that I hit 25 I can use my Pyromancer ult to dump all the heat the bolt staff generates, and my ult is never on cooldown thanks to Resourceful Sharpshooter/Combatant.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Fuuka Ayase posted:

I would kindly invite everyone to consider the following.

TURN

AROUND

Yes, please. Some people get a serious case of tunnel-vision in this game. I had a game the other day in which I got somewhat behind for whatever reason. The other players would just not stop pressing forward. So of course I couldn't catch back up again because I can only run as fast as them on my stubby dwarf legs. Horde sound? Keep running forward as fast as possible. Is our entire team here? Who cares! Checking for them would not only require turning around, it might involve waiting. Which means NOT pressing forward. Oh now the dwarf is fighting half the horde by himself in an alcove? Doesn't matter, noticing would require turning around. Not to mention letting go of the W key. Keep pressing W! If the dwarf were better at pressing W maybe he wouldn't be stuck by himself.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I tried using a bolt staff with crits = temp health, but it wouldn't trigger any health gain.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I tried using a bolt staff with crits = temp health, but it wouldn't trigger any health gain.
I think crits-to-health is broken across the board.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Elpato posted:

I think it's already been nerfed, so that you can't just wait for a crit beam and go to town.

Beam is still good, but I prefer bolt over beam especially with the crit to temp health talent. Also, now that I hit 25 I can use my Pyromancer ult to dump all the heat the bolt staff generates, and my ult is never on cooldown thanks to Resourceful Sharpshooter/Combatant.

That patch change was actually more of a buff then a nerf, it's only a nerf if you were the type to recast your beam 5 or 6 times and hope your team isn't letting a single rat smack your butt to interrupt it, as it is right now it's a lot better for using the staff normally and it'll still drain your heat to 0 or fill your ult meter instantly if it crits on a big horde depending on the staff trait.

Ravenfood posted:

I think crits-to-health is broken across the board.

Crits-health is decent on the beam staff because it can fill your healthbar pretty fast once it starts critting, but I don't remember ever getting health from the bolt staff, wouldn't surprise me if the bolt staff can't crit or is bugged.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Coolguye posted:

nope, not that i've seen!

Fatshark did allude to it in one of the early patchnotes about the hero power caps for difficulties. They outlined that hero power impacts damage, penetration, etc., and that it would be capped at certain values for certain difficulties. I inferred that meant that those caps were themselves representative of a significant value of some kind (like a break point where 3 targets increases to 4).

I'm not saying that's a good way to communicate information. But it meant that I didn't jump up a difficulty until I was at or near the cap, so I never felt bothered by wanting a more consistent experience with how my weapons handled. They just handled how they were "supposed" to for the HP I was capped to.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Still very new to this game, and so was running a few solo missions last night to get Kruber up a few levels, and finally decided I'll go in for a quick play. I get the mission that I literally just beat twice with Bots, and so I figure this should be easy with Humans. I should have known this would not be the case when the level 1 elf joined the team and immediately started spamming 'What's up cunts' in chat.

How can humans be so much worse than AI?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Crits-health is decent on the beam staff because it can fill your healthbar pretty fast once it starts critting, but I don't remember ever getting health from the bolt staff, wouldn't surprise me if the bolt staff can't crit or is bugged.

Bolt staff does crit and it works with the talent. It’s more noticeable when you get to unload on a horde with your piercing bolts or on a boss with primary fire.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

Still very new to this game, and so was running a few solo missions last night to get Kruber up a few levels, and finally decided I'll go in for a quick play. I get the mission that I literally just beat twice with Bots, and so I figure this should be easy with Humans. I should have known this would not be the case when the level 1 elf joined the team and immediately started spamming 'What's up cunts' in chat.

Well...what happened??

The bots actually suck, so that's some poor luck.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

PotatoManJack posted:

Counterintuitively, generally the higher up in difficulty you get the easier the actual game becomes because your teammates will have a better idea of what to (not) to do. I wouldnt stick around in recruit too long, veteran isn't that much of a difficulty spike and will probably be easier due to the usually more competent player pool

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

The bots are fairly decent shots, tend to save their ammo for specials as far as I can tell, block decently against hordes, and will glue themselves to your rear end. Those last two are probably the most important, and also coincidentally are the things that new/bad players tend to do the least.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Well...what happened??

Elf died about 3 times before we got to the mid point in the map. I think it was his first time playing and he thought he was Legolas.

Sienna seemed to be just learning how to use a new flame thrower staff, and kept busting it out at the wrong times (like when she was surrounded).

Despite that, things were going OK, with the dwarf and I doing most crowd control, and then we hit a chaos spawn, and with no coordination in the blink of an eye the elf and wizard were down. Once the Dwarf got grabbed by spawn, that was the end of everything.

Ravenfood posted:

The bots are fairly decent shots, tend to save their ammo for specials as far as I can tell, block decently against hordes, and will glue themselves to your rear end. Those last two are probably the most important, and also coincidentally are the things that new/bad players tend to do the least.

This - at least bots know not to run off by themselves and know to try and aim for high threat targets. They also tend to keep themselves alive reasonably well.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I genuinely think "beg for welfare Recruit runs in the goon discord until you can play Vet, then enjoy your fine online videogame purchase however you see fit" should be in the OP because the only thing worse than new players playing Recruit is level 15s demonstrating why they can't hang out in Veteran.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Even veteran can be a bit painful. I think champ is a sweet spot of mostly good players at the moment.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, play Veteran as soon as you get some levels under your belt. It's not that much harder, and teammates are generally more competent. Same goes for Champion in turn, but if you do end up with a subpar team there you can get wiped spectacularly and repeatedly.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, play Veteran as soon as you get some levels under your belt. It's not that much harder, and teammates are generally more competent. Same goes for Champion in turn, but if you do end up with a subpar team there you can get wiped spectacularly and repeatedly.

I'd honestly hesitate to say Recruit -> Veteran is the same sort of jump because adding friendly fire makes newbie panic instincts into ways to chunk/get chunked by your team, and a one knockdown limit can be god-damned brutal to people who occasionally bump against Veteran's death limit of four.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Phlegmish posted:

Well...what happened??

I've run Champ missions alone with nothing but Bot teammates, they're not too bad.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I've run Champ missions alone with nothing but Bot teammates, they're not too bad.

I was really considering doing this. Which bots are the best? The worst? How are their subclasses, level and gear determined?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fatshark put saltz at the back of the bot order again even though sienna bot still doesn’t know how to use most of her staves and barely even uses them at all, so I feel like your best odds will involve playing as her

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

pmchem posted:

I was really considering doing this. Which bots are the best? The worst? How are their subclasses, level and gear determined?

I am by no means an expert, but this was the team I ran with.
Me on Bounty Hunter.
Pyro Sienna bot w/ Bolt Staff (Bots don't seem to utilize the beam staff very well)
Merc Kruber bot w/ Halberd.
Handmaiden Kerillian bot w/ Spear

All bots inherit the gear and talents you've set them up with. As well as the last class you left them on.
I've played way too much and leveled all classes to 30, so they had all talents available, which might have helped a bit. Finished 4 or 5 missions with this team.

Also had a Slayer bot that absolutely murdered bosses on a separate run, so that might actually be viable in some circumstances. He died a lot to hordes, though.

Edit: Oh yeah, one last thing. The bots are actually pretty decent at sniping specials, so give them the means to do so (Handgun for Kruber, Longbow for Kerillian).

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 23, 2018

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
It's annoying that you can't play as saltzpyre and have the ranger bot for the free ammo, then you play as sienna and watch all the bots ignore the free ammo

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

Well...what happened??

Going to disagree here. I jokingly let my 5 year old play the game, and they were able to completely solo a mission, start-to-finish, with bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is what I think they should do to Sienna's various staffs, for what little a random forum users option is.

Beam, shotgun blast takes longer to fire if you keep spamming it, resourceful combatant and heatsink (and other ranged ammo on crit traits) should have a 1 second cooldown and only work on the first enemy hit, buff the numbers on the traits to compensate, a single crit into a horde instantly fills your ammo/heat/meter with these traits and become must-haves and fast fire rate abuses them best and the beam staff is the fastest.

Bolt, the right click snipe should do more damage then the beam snipe, it's a projectile with travel time and no zoom and has variance in where it will go, shrink the crosshair a little and zoom if you hold it for a bit.

Fireball, Sienna loads the fireball on the bottom of the screen instead of the middle and no "looking into the flame makes the world turn dark high end graphxxx", boom, top tier staff.

Conflag, fully charging it deletes at least slave or clan rats, less heat generated.

Flamethrower, the left click fart of flame replaced with a viable mid-range attack instead of copying the drakegun.