Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm just wondering what kind of force PTN is putting together to go toe to toe with these 12 mechs.

I mean, we've seen (briefly, lol) the Turkina Z and Osteon Prime. Where do you even go from a Turkina Z though haha. I guess there's potentially a mess of mechs packing headcappers and tarcomps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

I'm just wondering what kind of force PTN is putting together to go toe to toe with these 12 mechs.

I mean, we've seen (briefly, lol) the Turkina Z and Osteon Prime. Where do you even go from a Turkina Z though haha. I guess there's potentially a mess of mechs packing headcappers and tarcomps?
A <set of whatever the Society calls their group of 7 units> of six Turkina Zs and a Cephalus.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

a lot of Turkina Zs and washed out elementals drugged out of their minds.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hope they do have some psuedo-elementals, if only to see one crack open the cockpit of a Legion machine and immediately get punched in the face.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zaodai posted:

I hope they do have some psuedo-elementals, if only to see one crack open the cockpit of a Legion machine and immediately get punched in the face.
I need this to happen.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Between 46 damage kicks and pilots that can eject and perform bonus damage leg attacks that cause crits by the time this mission is over there's going to be nothing left but a giant pile of 'Mech legs scattered everywhere.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Society Mars (ATM). Triple iATM-9, a gauss rifle, a heavy large laser, a pair of streak 4's to annoy flankers and pair of machine guns in case infantry get any bright ideas.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Streak LRM20s

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

Streak LRM20s

are too loving heavy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Between 46 damage kicks and pilots that can eject and perform bonus damage leg attacks that cause crits by the time this mission is over there's going to be nothing left but a giant pile of 'Mech legs scattered everywhere.

Kinda hoping somebody takes the opportunity to pick up one of those legs and club a fucker with it. :getin:

That probably would be less effective than just kicking some more, wouldn't it?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zaodai posted:

If the Capellans are a handful for the FWL now (for whatever reason?), when they're dealing with cleaning up ComStar within their borders and the HPG blackout, then things are probably not going to get a whole lot better unless he makes some powerful friends on one side or the other of the NRWR/Clan conflict before they get done addressing that.

He can pick a side, but trying to play them is just going to piss off both sides, and sitting out doesn't get him anything but at best the status quo. They'd certainly have no reason to not gut punch the FWL while the Lague is fighting another conflict. Either side could help him with tech, the NRWR could help him with direly needed industry. Either one could be convinced that the CapCon is a threat and/or juicy target and open up another front in that war before the CapCon starts making GBS threads out AI controlled Society mechs at them.

Being the weakest kid at the table may actually be more suicide than finding a friend to help you.

They have every reason not to gut-punch the FWL. Amaris isn't interested in trying to conquer the FWL, and the Clans have also shown no interest in doing so whatsoever. And that's without both of them having a wee little war against each other going on. He has little to no reason to put any trust in either side (especially not in the NRWR!) and no reason whatsoever to believe that either would help him with the Capellans. (Also, the FWL does not exactly lack in industry at this point - with all that's gone on, they're probably the biggest industrial powerhouse in the Inner Sphere right now.)

Jumping under a bus just to possibly make friends with one of two parties, of which one has already betrayed them and the other has shown no desire whatsoever to be friends is a move that can only be described as fractally idiotic. No matter from what direction from or at which level you look at it, it's still idiotic.

Seriously, you're not even trying to argue the myriad reasons why it's a bloody stupid idea anymore. All you're now doing is fishing for excuses to not have to admit that it's a bloody stupid idea.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'll continue to agree to disagree, and you can continue to be a oval office about it. That works out fine for me, I was floating possibilities.

We'll find out how it works out after the time skip.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

are too loving heavy.

Just chuck them on some flatbeds.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

Just chuck them on some flatbeds.

why bother when iATM12s out range them and weigh a lot less.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're like three times the price though. The grant money just won't stretch that far.

nm, I was looking at the 10s.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 22, 2018

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I'm up again? And again on what looks to be a completely awesome mission. Quite the upgrade from the Merlin that I piloted back in Breakout.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Gwaihir posted:

Well, the setup for this is ultra-elite protagonists against a well equipped yet incompetent mob. So I suspect it's going to be Saturday morning cartoon rules. Explosions everywhere, hordes of mooks dying even as they fire ineffectually into the air, an individual or small group of dangerous boss types at the core.

Tran fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 23, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Roundhouse kicks and drop kicks the order of the day. Taking iATM inferno volleys on the chin and using them to squawk-stomp assaults into putty. Sniping with the Rheavys to force massive damage fall checks every time they hit.

I'm still giddy about being able to play in this mission. There's a strong correlation between high tech and being a bad guy in Battletech, with the Society and WoB both devising new forms of genocide and taking on multiple factions at once in the original timeline.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man am I excited for this mission.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I see they included extra bullshit with that mech order.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

are too loving heavy.

With 1/2 pilots you should probably be using Follow-the-Leader LRMs anyway

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sair posted:

I see they included extra bullshit with that mech order.

But we already have so much! I guess if you insist...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Magni posted:

Jumping under a bus just to possibly make friends with one of two parties, of which one has already betrayed them and the other has shown no desire whatsoever to be friends is a move that can only be described as fractally idiotic. No matter from what direction from or at which level you look at it, it's still idiotic.

Seriously, you're not even trying to argue the myriad reasons why it's a bloody stupid idea anymore. All you're now doing is fishing for excuses to not have to admit that it's a bloody stupid idea.

It's just giant robots dude

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
First actual update will probably be Wednesday.

I still have a lot of OpForce sprites to make and my carpal tunnel is acting up again. Damned ProtoMechs

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I still have a lot of OpForce sprites to make and my carpal tunnel is acting up again. Damned ProtoMechs

Get well soon.

For Team Goons: oh man everyone has Jump Jets huh? Always be Jumping. Sure as hell makes movement and turning and such easier.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sleeping with a wrist brace and mousing left handed really helped with that for me, good luck - oos is nothing to gently caress with.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Artificer posted:

Get well soon.

For Team Goons: oh man everyone has Jump Jets huh? Always be Jumping. Sure as hell makes movement and turning and such easier.

I suspect the caves will preclude that tactic. However, we may be able to jump from the lower map to that ridge above on the upper map if we want to hit both levels at once...

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Zaodai posted:

He can pick a side, but trying to play them is just going to piss off both sides, and sitting out doesn't get him anything but at best the status quo. They'd certainly have no reason to not gut punch the FWL while the Lague is fighting another conflict. Either side could help him with tech, the NRWR could help him with direly needed industry. Either one could be convinced that the CapCon is a threat and/or juicy target and open up another front in that war before the CapCon starts making GBS threads out AI controlled Society mechs at them.

Plenty of countries get away with pseudo-neutrality in wars, all the time. On rare occasion it ends in disaster, but the worst that typically happens is poor relations if your proxy's enemy defeats their direct conflict enemy and is aware of what you did (which has become almost impossible in modern times if the support is on even a moderate scale (I'm looking at you Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Qatar... (They supplied ISIS)) but in this far off future with worse information technology, the atrocious intelligence capability of the Clans and the vastly longer borders (despite the jump choke points) it should have become easier again).

Amaris has everything to gain from allying with the FWL (except for his long term expansion), and Marik stands to gain massively from the technology and support to create a nascent FWL navy that could grow strong in time, but he can't get involved directly, as Magni says that would be guaranteed to be a direct existential risk. Chances are the Clan Watches of the Snow Ravens and Sea Foxes are both too dumb to pick up covert aid from the FWL along their long-rear end border with the NRWR as long as they keep the parts they supply generic and any manpower they supply high quality enough to stick with their covers, so why not go for covert support?

As for paying off the Clans whenever they get annoyed with minor deals, that's just business as usual during war times, minor concessions and trades happen all the time to diffuse pressure, it's certainly not playing two sides I'm recommending. The FWL should side covertly with the NRWR.

I mean, you could probably fool the Clan Watch just by filing off the serial numbers or adding a moustache to every mech part you're sending to the Republic. If you keep the parts entirely generic the Clan Watch is really going to have to rack their brains on why that Devil Amaris can magic up so many new mechs.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 23, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh, well covert siding with them is still picking a side. That still gets the brownie points from someone. That'd be fine whichever side he picks (though the Clans would probably not be impressed by what they see as dishonor/cowardice), it still shows commitment rather than just potential straight-opportunism that sitting on the fence might be construed as.

If he sides with the NRWR covertly, he can at least tell the Clans "Hey, that's your fight. We're not here to steal your glory." and they'd buy it. Because they're idiots. :v: He could probably take a couple planets as payment for "past debts" overtly and the Clans would think he was just taking what he was owed.

[EDIT] Being the Arsenal of Amaris-Branded Pseudo Democracy is different than just being Neville Chaimberlain, I guess is my point.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 23, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RA Rx posted:

Amaris has everything to gain from allying with the FWL, and Marik stands to gain massively from the technology and support to create a nascent FWL navy that could grow strong in time, but he can't get involved directly, as Magni says that would be guaranteed to be a direct existential risk. Chances are the Clan Watches of the Snow Ravens and Sea Foxes are both too dumb to pick up covert aid from the FWL along their long-rear end border with the NRWR as long as they keep the parts they supply generic and any manpower they supply high quality enough to stick with their covers, so why not go for covert support?

If Amaris is in deep with ComStar, he also knows where the mothballed WarShip depot that the FWL used as the nucleus for their fleet in the canon timeline. So that's a bonus.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, being Chamberlain sounds like the worst option to me. Even though imho direct intervention against the Clans while fighting the Capellans is the most suicidal option for remaining a united national entity, at least once the dust settles his people would be more likely to live under regional warlords, the Capellans or NRWR in the long run than a psychotic Clanner society.

Defiance Industries posted:

If Amaris is in deep with ComStar, he also knows where the mothballed WarShip depot that the FWL used as the nucleus for their fleet in the canon timeline. So that's a bonus.

:0
Ok, that's a pretty big deal.

But Comstar actually gave up Amaris VI, they might not have trusted the NRWR enough, even before turning on them, to give them that much information.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 23, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't get TOO excited, they're SLDF WarShip hulls so they're kind of huge piles of poo poo against any modern design.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Still immensely valuable though, if Amaris or Comstar gave that up to anyone they'd want collateral on any promise made in return.

That and the technology and training needed to build the industrial base for an even better fleet... Duncan would give up his right arm for it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The NRWR has (expensive) spaceship technology. They could dangle that carrot in front of Marik for it if they had to. I don't know that they'd ever actually give it up, but Amaris probably thinks he's smooth enough to outsmart anybody (even if everybody who thinks that way eventually gets too far up their own rear end and fails).

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

Don't get TOO excited, they're SLDF WarShip hulls so they're kind of huge piles of poo poo against any modern design.

It's kind of amazing how bad a lot of SLDF-era designs are. Like, not even talking armor or capital weapons setup here...

I understand the doctrine: use DropShips to carry screening fighters/as fighter killers, and dedicate a whole bunch of space for cargo to support long missions. There is a thought process there. It just sucks. On the second one there's gotta be a happy medium between no cargo and 200,000 tons of cargo, and on the first...well, you have 200,000 tons of cargo. Surely it isn't a burden to spare a couple hundred of them to staple some large lasers to the outside at the very least, so that fighters don't murder your family.

And when you follow this idea all the way you end up with Age of War/early SLDF hulls being better in game terms than what are supposed to be 2750-era ships of the line. Stuff like the Tharkad, New Syrtis, and even the Samarkand make way more sense than their TAS/SLDF contemporaries.

Edit: let's take a class that's supposed to be really good by fluff standards: the Congress. The SLDF didn't even think of replacing it for 200 years! It survived the Exodus! Its entire fighter defense consists of exactly eight large lasers and three capital missile tubes. It can maybe fight off two aeros at a time. It has 172,000 tons of cargo space.

How exactly is there not room there for a couple hundred tons of LLs (or even LPLs) and another couple hundred tons of double heat sinks? The ship is way under the design limit for weapons per arc, it's got tons of mass to spare. It only carries two DropShips and six aeros so it's not like it can carry a huge screen and ferry troops at the same time. Meanwhile the New Syrtis was launched only 15 years later, and has LRM-20s, LLs, MLs, and MGs all over. The Sovetskii Soyuz was launched only decades before the Amaris coup and it has exactly zero fighter-scale weapons for defense. The Tharkad, only slightly more massive and launched 50 years prior, has about a bajillion.

What was the SLDF doing?

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 23, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

The NRWR learned all the right lessons from Duncan Kalma.

It's gotta be the best selling battlerom in the whole sphere. The Demon Hawks could retire from merchandising alone.

King Dadlas is here to core mechs and kick legs, and he's all out of patience.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

hooman posted:

It's gotta be the best selling battlerom in the whole sphere. The Demon Hawks could retire from merchandising alone.

King Dadlas is here to core mechs and kick legs, and he's all out of patience.

And shortly thereafter, legs to kick. :black101:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Am I missing something from the discussion? I thought the FWL had already 'chose' a side by being in the new Star League with Skye and the snake Clans? They do not need to butter up to either the NRWR or Bears/Ravens.

Weissritter fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 23, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Bears are barely involved. They sent a cluster along and most of that was dead before we came in. Also the Ravens/Foxes are kind of off on their own, given that they went on their own crusade once they found out about the trap. Given that they (we) elected not to tell any of the other Clans about finding an Amaris descendant and abandoned their primary mission to go chase glory alone, we have yet to see how the remaining Clans react when they find out what happened, especially since as far as the Ravens/Foxes know, they were successful in killing Amaris (since they did assassinate Uncle Stevie). It is fairly likely that the Andurien Clans will see joining up with a "new" Star League to be a betrayal of the cause while they were off doing the old Star League's work (in their minds).

[EDIT] Which in essence does pick them a side in the NRWR/Clan conflict. The NRWR, since they put themselves on the Clan shitlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

It's kind of amazing how bad a lot of SLDF-era designs are. Like, not even talking armor or capital weapons setup here...

I understand the doctrine: use DropShips to carry screening fighters/as fighter killers, and dedicate a whole bunch of space for cargo to support long missions. There is a thought process there. It just sucks. On the second one there's gotta be a happy medium between no cargo and 200,000 tons of cargo, and on the first...well, you have 200,000 tons of cargo. Surely it isn't a burden to spare a couple hundred of them to staple some large lasers to the outside at the very least, so that fighters don't murder your family.

And when you follow this idea all the way you end up with Age of War/early SLDF hulls being better in game terms than what are supposed to be 2750-era ships of the line. Stuff like the Tharkad, New Syrtis, and even the Samarkand make way more sense than their TAS/SLDF contemporaries.

Edit: let's take a class that's supposed to be really good by fluff standards: the Congress. The SLDF didn't even think of replacing it for 200 years! It survived the Exodus! Its entire fighter defense consists of exactly eight large lasers and three capital missile tubes. It can maybe fight off two aeros at a time. It has 172,000 tons of cargo space.

How exactly is there not room there for a couple hundred tons of LLs (or even LPLs) and another couple hundred tons of double heat sinks? The ship is way under the design limit for weapons per arc, it's got tons of mass to spare. It only carries two DropShips and six aeros so it's not like it can carry a huge screen and ferry troops at the same time. Meanwhile the New Syrtis was launched only 15 years later, and has LRM-20s, LLs, MLs, and MGs all over. The Sovetskii Soyuz was launched only decades before the Amaris coup and it has exactly zero fighter-scale weapons for defense. The Tharkad, only slightly more massive and launched 50 years prior, has about a bajillion.

What was the SLDF doing?

I think part of it is the difference in scale between SLDF and House navies. Ships like the Tharkad operated in much smaller groups than the equivalent SLDF vessel did, and because the Houses tended to built far fewer types of ships they didn't really have the luxury of specialized designs. It's kind of the same principal you see from the 31st century CCAF, where they just built a fuckton of Vindicators because their limited production dictated that they needed to focus on capable generalists.

• Locked thread