Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cerekk posted:

if the Navy really wants to improve recruiting they should just bring back prize ships

We asked some pointed questions about that in Desert Storm, when it looked like there was a real chance we could take a prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

The problem with that is most pirate vessels aren't worth poo poo.

Neither are half the new USN ships.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Madurai posted:

We asked some pointed questions about that in Desert Storm, when it looked like there was a real chance we could take a prize.

If a P-8 drops a sono buoy on a ship to get it to surrender, does the aircrew get the prize? :thunk:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone spend any time at centcom in Tampa?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:mad:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh god what did I say wrong now? I'm just a scummy reservist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think that emote just kind of sums up the feeling of being in or anywhere around Tampa.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Honestly don’t think it could be any worse than Pensacola.
Anyways I put in some paper work for ADT orders that just popped up there just for the heck of it. Probably won’t get picked up for them but you never know.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jimmy4400nav posted:

If a P-8 drops a sono buoy on a ship to get it to surrender, does the aircrew get the prize? :thunk:

They would have to crew it. But don't worry cyber warriors! https://www.lawfareblog.com/cyber-deterrence-scale
You can be a mercenary in the cyber war!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh god what did I say wrong now? I'm just a scummy reservist.

Long story, but I just had a job offer to work there for nearly 6-digits rescinded because the shop just moved into a SCIF and my TS/SCI is expired (hooray for new requirements). So I'm stuck at an inland Navy base with no hope of a raise, advancement, or seeing a live tree; and will probably have to buy a house here because there are no rentals in the area.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Long story, but I just had a job offer to work there for nearly 6-digits rescinded because the shop just moved into a SCIF and my TS/SCI is expired (hooray for new requirements). So I'm stuck at an inland Navy base with no hope of a raise, advancement, or seeing a live tree; and will probably have to buy a house here because there are no rentals in the area.

Oh you can just forward the job offer to me my TS/Sci is still active.

Hey look I found the reason why we lost our rates for a hot moment on Facebook!

Leave the ratings as they are. It was Obama's idea to do this. He was breaking up the Navy by not having designations for the job each Sailor did. The approach is the same he used to divide ethnic groups which was leading to chaos.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Leave the ratings as they are. It was Obama's idea to do this. He was breaking up the Navy by not having designations for the job each Sailor did. The approach is the same he used to divide ethnic groups which was leading to chaos.

Don’t doxx me bro.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

That was a fun time in which I got told that I didn't have any rate pride.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

That was a fun time in which I got told that I didn't have any rate pride.

It was more annoying when having to address blueshirts since you couldn't just say IS1 or CTT2, you need to say Petty Officer Jones. And before you ask, why not call them by their name, the Army SGM got upset about the OPS floor being too informal and everyone didn't want to deal with the stupidity of the guy coming from the Ranger Regiment

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Hey guys, I accepted a written offer for a big boy job today with an immediate start even though I don't start terminal leave for 3 weeks.
:dukedog:

Madurai posted:

Have a friend whose ship actually did.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Hey guys, I accepted a written offer for a big boy job today with an immediate start even though I don't start terminal leave for 3 weeks.

Have a friend whose ship actually did.

In Seattle?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Between Everett and Seattle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Between Everett and Seattle.

Oh god the traffic!

Congrats! on the easy transition to civilian life. Personally I finally got a permanent job as a contractor working at the shipyards. Subcontracting is for the birds.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

It's close enough to where I live that it is bearable. If I hadn't got this job I most likely would have got a job in Seattle and yeah that commute would have sucked. I probably would've ended up taking the train a lot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Very cool, congrats.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Mazel tov!

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I’ve got the chance to take a tour of a new destroyer that’s about to be commissioned this week down here in Charleston. They’re even doing a happy hour afterwards, so it should be a cool afternoon.

I do find it odd that despite being in the AF/Guard for 9 years now, I’ll have been on a navy ship and an Abrams while still never having flown on an Air Force jet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

pkells posted:

I’ve got the chance to take a tour of a new destroyer that’s about to be commissioned this week down here in Charleston. They’re even doing a happy hour afterwards, so it should be a cool afternoon.

I do find it odd that despite being in the AF/Guard for 9 years now, I’ll have been on a navy ship and an Abrams while still never having flown on an Air Force jet.

Ships are cool, enjoy! Be sure to not even try to be nautical just to piss off whoever is your guide, bonus points if it is a :chiefsay:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Nick Soapdish posted:

Ships are cool, enjoy! Be sure to not even try to be nautical just to piss off whoever is your guide, bonus points if it is a :chiefsay:

That’s the plan- I haven’t had drill in a few weeks, so I’m rocking the beard with my business casual office clothes. Bet I can call some chiefs “dudes”.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Calling a chief “old goat” is a sign of endearing respect

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Make sure you call the chiefs, "petty officer."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Call all Os, "Hey Chief," call all Chiefs, "Hey Buddy," and call all blueshirts, "Hey Guy."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Call everyone Shipmate without a hint of sarcasm

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

"Sailor."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Godholio posted:

"Sailor."

I had a Marine Colonel call me that from a car because he couldn't find the right building and I was walking. Seemed weird at first but I forgot that they unironically call Marines "Marines".

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I saw a ton of Marines on base and was way more excited to see them than they were me and I yearned for an excuse to say, "Hey Marine, ----" but it never came up.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I use Ding Dong as it gets a better reaction.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Destroyer trip report:

How the gently caress do you guys live on a tiny cramped ship like that for months at a time? And how do you put up with such a crazy work schedule? I spent a month with the army last year in Puerto Rico living in a camp, and they seemed to have a better quality of life.

But the boat was cool, and my friend kept introducing this chief at the happy hour event afterwards as "an officer on the boat". Multiple people on the tour asked about whether or not they have nukes on board. I asked the 1Lt or whatever you call them how much BS they put up with getting the board ready for non-stop tours through their home for the past week. His smirk answered my question.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

How the gently caress do you guys live on a tiny cramped ship like that for months at a time? And how do you put up with such a crazy work schedule? I spent a month with the army last year in Puerto Rico living in a camp, and they seemed to have a better quality of life.

But the boat was cool, and my friend kept introducing this chief at the happy hour event afterwards as "an officer on the boat". Multiple people on the tour asked about whether or not they have nukes on board. I asked the 1Lt or whatever you call them how much BS they put up with getting the board ready for non-stop tours through their home for the past week. His smirk answered my question.

How do we put up with it? We have no choice. The benefit is people who can't cope with it usually process out through various means.

No bones about it, it sucks, but you deal with it. Its better than getting shot at by Taliban or whatever imo.

Way better than infinite ruck marches.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

https://youtu.be/1TlOD2anqOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also this.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

Now imagine life on a sub that only has enough beds for 70-80% of the crew.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I thought they fixed the hotracking problem for the Virginia class subs?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That would be nice to see. The LA was 'lucky' that the aux equipment space was turned into an extra 9 man berthing (with horrible ventilation). Not having to stick 20-40+ people onto hotracks + torpedo room while on deployment would help quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

Destroyers aren't really that small or cramped. They aren't frigates or PCs, for example. Or old Cold War destroyers.
There is something to be said for warships, though vs Army camps. No marching, no hauling rucks full of poo poo, no MREs, actual beds, daily showers, regular hot meals.