Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I lived in the huon before it was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I grew up in the Huon when it was all working class depression and alcoholism and now its all mid-winter festivals and cider houses. The town I grew up in now has a sushi bar. The weird thing is though the locals themselves haven't changed a bit. Its derros in ug boots sipping sav blanc and eating fancy cuisine. Such amazing times we live in.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Wrageowrapper posted:

I grew up in the Huon when it was all working class depression and alcoholism and now its all mid-winter festivals and cider houses. The town I grew up in now has a sushi bar. The weird thing is though the locals themselves haven't changed a bit. Its derros in ug boots sipping sav blanc and eating fancy cuisine. Such amazing times we live in.

yes! it is so weird to me that it's become such a desirable location. I lived in Huonville in the 90s and it was definitely not mid-winter festivals and cider houses. There was, however, a chicken feed within walking distance.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Our family left Huonville when I was a toddler because they didn't want us growing up there.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

let's just say, when my parents tried to rent our house out after we moved to qld, the youngest kid of our neighbour (who would have been like 7-10, I forget which year it happened) threatened to rape the pregnant lady that moved in.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

The Before Times posted:

yes! it is so weird to me that it's become such a desirable location. I lived in Huonville in the 90s and it was definitely not mid-winter festivals and cider houses. There was, however, a chicken feed within walking distance.

I remember when chicken feed was an awesome liquidation store full of cool cheap poo poo. Then it turned into a lovely cheap import store. And then one day they all vanished. The Tasmanian dream folks.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Huoff

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

All the cool kids called it Hoonville

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/976628097410740224

Holy poo poo his wife looks like him.

E: oh it's his sister lol

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 22, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Before Times posted:

Do you still pine for it?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

You Am I posted:

Do you still pine for it?

You die for that.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Annoyingly they are not even a pine but a conifer.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Wrageowrapper posted:

Annoyingly they are not even a pine but a conifer.

That's amazingly pedantic yet very informative. I'm torn.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I've thought about it and I can see some good in a small fee per parcel. Cheap Chinese goods are allowed to come into the country for next to nothing and local retailers can't hope to compete because they actually have to pay for shipping. It's ridiculous that local mail carriers have to eat the cost of that shipping as well.

There are obvious problems with collecting the revenue, and I'm aware this will affect other nations mail as well, and I don't trust this government not to gently caress it up, and it may run afoul of international mailing agreements. But I don't have an issue with forcing businesses that have gotten a free ride for the last decade to actually pay for the services they use.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hiddenmovement posted:

I've thought about it and I can see some good in a small fee per parcel. Cheap Chinese goods are allowed to come into the country for next to nothing and local retailers can't hope to compete because they actually have to pay for shipping. It's ridiculous that local mail carriers have to eat the cost of that shipping as well.

There are obvious problems with collecting the revenue, and I'm aware this will affect other nations mail as well, and I don't trust this government not to gently caress it up, and it may run afoul of international mailing agreements. But I don't have an issue with forcing businesses that have gotten a free ride for the last decade to actually pay for the services they use.

I think I heard Jon Faine say the proposal was only going to be applied to online vendors that have over $75,000 in imports

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Maybe we can all start ordering from Australian retailers instead of from overseahahahahhaahhaha

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah, a bunch of my friends are into that stupid Wish app and a lot of the time it's cheap junk that'll be tossed shortly after arrival. Sorry, but I don't see any intrinsic value in Australia having more low-value tat.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hiddenmovement posted:

I loving don't see the value in it, as a major part of my hobby requires me to buy items from overseas since the Australian distributors suck loving arse.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It's so BorderForce and it's ReichFurher can get their own budget without having to go the Finance Minster. He's got his own private army, now to get his own moneypot to set up a state within a state.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Even ignoring the cost-price issue with Australian retailers there is practicalities of stock and line management. It will get worse rather than better because globalisation is creeping further and deeper every day because of the internet, and riding sidecar is review culture/reviews as content and human nature to have "the best".

Beauty V/Bloggers are a really good microcosm. One person reviews a (probably) local product, turns into purchases by their audience which typically includes other v/bloggers, which leads to more reviews and wider audiences, and then the cascading ripples of it turning up in product comparisons or shop the look or daily routine videos or the 10 best creams for XYZ. Consumers gonna consume and if they get it into their heads they have to have X product because it's perfect for their Y that's what they'll do. By the time local vendors have the opportunity to recognise and cater to that market people have already found ways to buy it through overseas vendors and peer networks - though in truth reatilers don't bother unless it's a real money-printer, they just stock the brands they stock and maybe if you're lucky one of those "locally stocked" brands does their own take on the product that started the ripple. Besides which, by the time they build the import relationships and get their palate of stock another Holy Grail Trail has begun on another product.

I think it could actually be the fragile beginnings of the anti-mass market movement, but I'm not sure whether people are ready to start turning over retailer's shelving in protest of the one product line suits most model. I do think it's impossible to put online ordering back in the box now it's out, there's just no real way for a single or even national market to accommodate every product ever made at your fingertips.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Honestly, I'm not going to shed any tears for the Australian retailers. During the 80s and 90s, they gouged customers for whatever they could because there was no alternative. It really was the boom time for retail and they expanded like crazy thinking that the cash cow would last forever.

Even with a $7 tax/fee for packages, in the majority of cases it's still cheaper and the range is far better than what's on offer in bricks and mortar retail. In addition, the major retailers in Australia have been very slow to adapt to online shopping and, honestly, their online shopping is just simply poo poo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Myer won't exist in like 5 years.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Kmart is the own zone though.

That place just keeps getting better.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Myer won't exist in like 0.5 years.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
What the gently caress

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Honestly, I'm not going to shed any tears for the Australian retailers. During the 80s and 90s, they gouged customers for whatever they could because there was no alternative. It really was the boom time for retail and they expanded like crazy thinking that the cash cow would last forever.

Even with a $7 tax/fee for packages, in the majority of cases it's still cheaper and the range is far better than what's on offer in bricks and mortar retail. In addition, the major retailers in Australia have been very slow to adapt to online shopping and, honestly, their online shopping is just simply poo poo.

Yeah paying $7 or even $20 frankly wouldn't make me blink when I want to order stuff online. Still crazy cheaper than buying retail anything.

When you can order stuff overseas, get it shipped air priority and still save significant cash from walking to a store then their business model is terminal. I also blame the national distributors gouging everyone.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Kmart is the own zone though.

That place just keeps getting better.

Just try not to think about what labour costs they're paying to keep poo poo so cheap

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

DancingShade posted:

Yeah paying $7 or even $20 frankly wouldn't make me blink when I want to order stuff online. Still crazy cheaper than buying retail anything.

When you can order stuff overseas, get it shipped air priority and still save significant cash from walking to a store then their business model is terminal. I also blame the national distributors gouging everyone.

It's not going to affect the big ticket things (like getting my current new phone for at least a hundred cheaper) but it's sure going to put a dent in my purchases of $0.50 crap from Aliexpress.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Just try not to think about what labour costs they're paying to keep poo poo so cheap

Look if you don't pay the bottom of the chain workers fifteen cents an hour then how is that exec going to afford to expand their investment portfolio and exotic car collection? Have some heart people.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope the $7 goes on digital transactions just so I can watch the meltdown.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Transactions not so micro any more.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Border Force begins scanning all digital downloads for foreign spyware.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

The Before Times posted:

I am in the process of buying a 40 acre plot right outside Huonville. Such a gorgeous area.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Compared to the poo poo on AliExpress and also pretty much anything available from online retailers, I think I'll take my chances.

There is no ethical consumption: just $7 golden elephant doorstops; $9 frying pans and $15 board shorts for the 2 days a year you suffer the sun enough to go swimming.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Transactions not so micro any more.

$7 surcharge on candy crush and Game of War and Mobile Strike micros

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogj5ztTE0zw

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

For every small package sent from China, they must accept 0.5kg of our recycling

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Donald Trump is going to start a trade war

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

In the gay bar gay bar gay bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Yeah he just did it. We need to hitch onto CHINA.

• Locked thread