Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

iospace posted:

what series is the off model stuff from?

Turn on your monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GorfZaplen posted:

Turn on your monitor.

I'm phone posting :shobon:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I mean, I hear you, it's a lovely situation for those working on it, but if you wanted a nice and kind and empathetic board you probably wouldn't be at the "heaven is overcrowded" Something Awful Forums

poking mild fun at anime catastrophes doesn't seem too terrible anyway

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Colonel posted:

yeah this is what will fix the anime industry

Nah.

It (as in the general reaction online) might get some lovely people fired though.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 22, 2018

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
"Isn't the series in the middle of a tournament arc? If all of these problems are happening how are they going to animate that?"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Agronox posted:

I mean, I hear you, it's a lovely situation for those working on it, but if you wanted a nice and kind and empathetic board you probably wouldn't be at the "heaven is overcrowded" Something Awful Forums

poking mild fun at anime catastrophes doesn't seem too terrible anyway

it's certainly a mild thing that is very unlikely to pass harm along to those involved but also lmao gently caress this lovely reasoning

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yuri Harry Potter too good for this world.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

Yuri Harry Potter too good for this world.

lwa aired last year though

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dogsicle posted:

it's certainly a mild thing that is very unlikely to pass harm along to those involved but also lmao gently caress this lovely reasoning

well, i don't think going to an anime discussion board on a comedy (?) site and saying "don't laugh at a show with terrible production values" is particularly wise either, but you do you

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SAs only identity is dead

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cake Attack posted:

SAs only identity is dead

Also gay.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Suffering is the almost universal basis for comedy.

Wishing more suffering is generally wrong, but the whole point is being able to better cope with a terrible situation by noticing the absurdity.

Getting all morally superior about it doesn't help anyone, and it takes away the possibility of either positive change or some people managing to get some happiness from the ashes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

chumbler posted:

Good comedy doesn't punch down.

That's the whole thing about this - laughing at bad animation =/= laughing at the suffering animators.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't buy the argument that being on SA is license to be a jackass but I don't think laughing at this trainwreck is unsympathetic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Failed productions are absolutely no laughing matter, and I wish the absolute best to the people involved with this, but I legit think what they've made here rules and looks Cool and Different.

I still wish they could have made their intended vision though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Failed productions are absolutely no laughing matter, and I wish the absolute best to the people involved with this, but I legit think what they've made here rules and looks Cool and Different.

I still wish they could have made their intended vision though

On that note, I wish the director behind K and Handshakers actually got paired up with a decent writer - I absolutely love his insane directing style, with the colors and weird shots and so on

But instead we got Handshakers, and I don't know if we'll ever see anything from that dude or that studio ever again. :sigh:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think that's the director's style, the garish stuff in k and handshakers is studio-mandated to try and make their stuff stand out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually kinda like the one where the crowd in the stands behind them is just a flat blurry picture. It reminds me of how Bakemonogatari would have bystanders just be like stick figures.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Given the exploitative nature of this production, it would have been more tragic if the product ended up being good and vindicated their approach.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i don't think that's the director's style, the garish stuff in k and handshakers is studio-mandated to try and make their stuff stand out

Huh. I was pretty sure it wasn't just that - I think I read a kvin article about...

fake edit: I just found the article and I was wrong, it was different directors. But it does bring up Okubo's animation style, and how it makes for really interesting, strange shots...and how the studio just twisted and twisted until we got Hand Shakers.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I think that insane animation style was garish but also really interesting and I'm bummed we're not likely to see more of it. More weird shows, please.

(although while I'm on the topic, Devilman Crybaby did a good job of filling this niche where it's just so strange and cool to look at, while also actually being good)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fangz posted:

Given the exploitative nature of this production, it would have been more tragic if the product ended up being good and vindicated their approach.

that wouldn't have been more tragic, that would've been hosed up but at least the staff making the drat thing wouldn't feel like they've wasted their energy and time

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Sounds like there’s a story here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

that wouldn't have been more tragic, that would've been hosed up but at least the staff making the drat thing wouldn't feel like they've wasted their energy and time

Ah, so the artists will enjoy the ~exposure~. Meanwhile the folks responsible for this will pocket the savings and go on to the next project.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fangz posted:

Ah, so the artists will enjoy the ~exposure~. Meanwhile the folks responsible for this will pocket the savings and go on to the next project.

jesus christ

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
There is no ethical laughter under capitalism

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, yeah. Having a credit to their name would be better than having to disavow a trash fire that took up a chunk of their time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Remember that part of this mess is not crediting animators

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Guy Goodbody posted:

I actually kinda like the one where the crowd in the stands behind them is just a flat blurry picture. It reminds me of how Bakemonogatari would have bystanders just be like stick figures.

Also the CG stick figure extras in Kyousougiga, I thought those were kinda cool and fit the trippy atmosphere.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"This product turned out comically poorly" and "I feel bad and sympathetic for the people whose hard work was spoiled by little to no fault of their own" are perfectly capable of existing alongside each other IMO

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Workers should punish lovely behaviour from management by doing awful work. If management doesn't do their part, workers should feel no investment in the success of the product. Disavowal and making laughably bad poo poo is right and proper. Maybe this sounds like nuts to you guys, but I guess you guys aren't unionised. :smug:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

we're only at galaxy brain so far, lets see if we can keep pushing and get this to universe brain

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fangz posted:

Workers should punish lovely behaviour from management by doing awful work. If management doesn't do their part, workers should feel no investment in the success of the product. Disavowal and making laughably bad poo poo is right and proper. Maybe this sounds like nuts to you guys, but I guess you guys aren't unionised. :smug:

Anime isn't unionized either and we don't know any of the details about the production or its setup to say whether the animators trying an own on the studio is something that'd make sense.

e: also a union protest would be to strike and let the project burn, what's happening here is the standard killing yourself to meet increasingly tight deadlines

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 23, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nah it's people walking out of the project. The project is burning.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 23, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unless you've got another source that's not what kVin says at all.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/976829675447160832?s=19

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

idk what a matchcut is but if you mean the uhhhhh student council bits with the random conspicuously ignored poo poo in the background they were fantastic

In film, a match cut is a cut from one shot to another where the two shots are matched by the action or subject and subject matter. For example, in a duel a shot can go from a long shot on both contestants via a cut to a medium closeup shot of one of the duellists.

quote:

Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey contains a famous example of a match cut.[4][5] After an ape discovers the use of bones as a tool and a weapon, he throws one triumphantly into the air. As the bone spins in the air, there is a match cut to a much more advanced tool: an orbiting satellite.[6] The match cut helps draw a connection between the two objects as exemplars of primitive and advanced tools respectively, and serves as a neat summary of humanity's technological advancement up to that point.[7] The satellite is unidentified in the film, but the novel makes it clear that it is an orbital weapon platform, thus linking with the use of the bone as a weapon.

Anime uses this a lot, it's an incredibly basic technique, but Utena uses it like seven times a second and its usually done without any actual action. And it's good at that, but yeah.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Lmfao at this entire thing

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Motto posted:

Unless you've got another source that's not what kVin says at all.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/976829675447160832?s=19

That's what 'not acknowledging it as their work' means. See also the other thing about all the animation directors quitting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

ishihama directed from the new world, a story about weird teenage angst and society's flaws that expressed those things fairly well even if I don't even personally like it. He's also spent his entire career directing a ton of openings, including Bleach OP 13, occultic;nine, tokyo ravens,, and welcome to the NHK. I don't even like some of those OPs that much, but they show a clear interest and skill in stylization and visual language, which is something that fits Persona 5 to a T.

Obviously this doesn't guarantee that the anime will be good, but the director has a skillset that is very suited to the material. Unlike P4 Golden, which was directed by a comedy director who had already mined the material for about the best he could do with it and just had to go for another go around with almost nothing to work with, and half of what he had to work with (the Adachi stuff, the Marie drama) wasn't suited to his skillset at all.

there's a decent article outlining ishihama's style here

he's a really talented dude, he's up there with omata with work that im always willing to check out just cause his name is on it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fangz posted:

That's what 'not acknowledging it as their work' means. See also the other thing about all the animation directors quitting.

No it's not. You can disown a production but still work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

artists are proud of their work and enjoy having it be considered good, and have it be something they can be happy to have worked on. by boiling the issue down to purely capitalistic interests (who gets paid, how much), you are engaging in the same denial of art and its merits as the people who push artists to the breaking point in order to meet capitalistic deadlines. obviously artists should be well compensated for their work, but artists should also not be constrained by capitalistic systems into making subpar works. if the question is 'getting paid and making something bad' and 'not getting paid and making something good' most people would be conflicted, but if the question was 'getting one up on CEOs' and 'making something good', with them not getting paid either way, I imagine most artists would pick the latter. Furthermore, intentionally doing bad work might deny them work in the future.

also your posts are real bad

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 23, 2018

• Locked thread