Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hobbesmaster posted:

Perhaps some sort of mechanic coupling between the vehicles on this grade separated track would be best?

Trains are old and busted. Tubes are the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0ai0Ygwt4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

haveblue posted:

Even if you do put up physical barriers and network everything, what happens when the car six inches in front of you has a mechanical failure that suddenly cuts its speed?

Keeping the cars that close together would defeat a lot of the safety advantages of an automated and networked system. It would make more sense for the cars to calculate safe following distances and maintain that automatically.

A 'safe' following distance could hypothetically be less than would be appropriate for a human driver, since the car could in theory react more quickly, but it would still be kind of foolish to not leave enough space between cars to allow for safe evasion if a car does break down or something.

hobbesmaster posted:

Perhaps some sort of mechanic coupling between the vehicles on this grade separated track would be best?

I know this is a joke, but I'm actually intrigued by the idea of 'dynamic' trains, comprised of automated cars, where cars that are travelling along the same route physically link themselves together for better aerodynamics. Cars would join the train when they enter the roadway and drop out again when nearing their exit.

You'd still have to manage spacing between the train and everything around it, but that would be a simpler problem than managing all those vehicles individually, and with the right design you could probably get a good efficiency boost as well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

The second decree: no more pollution, no more car exhaust. OR OCEAN DUMPAGE. From now on, people travel in tubes!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bombadilillo posted:

Chainsaw chaps are standard safety gear. The work very well.

As long as you don’t use an electric chainsaw. Those have enough low-end torque to chew right through the chaps.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't actually true, it was dreamed up by AI fanboys who gave absolutely zero thought to practical considerations. Even if every single car is networked and warning each other in advance of any planned movement, the laws of physics still put significant constraints on the cars' ability to react to unplanned movements. Unless you're placing physical barriers around literally every road, it's dangerous to assume that everything that will ever be on the road is networked.

this scenario strongly resembles basically trains, which already exist, except you are in your own personal little train car and dont have to interact with anyone else and also don't have to walk very far to go from the train car to your destination. it's a decades-away fantasy and is impossible with current technology

a huge amount of what people say about self driving cars is just a way to rationalize the benefit of cars without any of the drawbacks. try looking at self driving car advocacy through this lens - what if i could have a car with all of the upsides, but none of the downsides?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 22, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

It'd be kinda nice if you could get up and walk around while in the tube. Maybe something like this?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

this scenario strongly resembles basically trains, which already exist, except you are in your own personal little train car and dont have to interact with anyone else and also don't have to walk very far to go from the train car to your destination. it's a decades-away fantasy and is impossible with current technology

You sound like a really fun person to be around with your nose so planted in the now, never letting yourself get distracted looking at the future.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Booley posted:

You sound like a really fun person to be around with your nose so planted in the now, never letting yourself get distracted looking at the future.

yeah i know reality is a downer sometimes but that's not my fault bro

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
or we just skip all that and have all the jobs that make you sit in a box working on a computer from 9-5 be doable from a remote location

naaaaah

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

It'd be kinda nice if you could get up and walk around while in the tube. Maybe something like this?

You could even create a nice story to pitch it with.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MF_James posted:

Here's a good tip: Don't cut off your loving thumb.

On a related note, involving a thumb but NOT cutting it off, a friend of mine and I were buying butterfly knives in chinatown when we were kids, they were like 2 for $20, my friend was playing with his and somehow flipped it and drove the blade into the webbed area between thumb and index finger, it cut off a bunch of nerves and other poo poo. He has no feeling in that thumb, can still use it and can also bend it all the way back to his wrist; it's loving creepy and weird.

That's my weird thumb knife story.

"I didn't choose the thumb knife, the thumb knife chose me"

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Oops there was a power line up there

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Slender Man wasn't the same after they shot out his knees in Korea....

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Not what I expected from the Space Jam sequel, but color me interested

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

There wasn't even a good reason...

August 21, 2008
"Philadelphia Sn 28 was raising the lower boom to get the bucket closer to the ground so two costumed mascots could enter. They were going to ride the truck in the bucket to the National Nite Out festivities several blocks up the road. The knuckle of the waterway made several contacts with the high voltage lines and then got stuck to them. The result is in JD’s photo. And no one was injured except for some bruised egos."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gunshow Poophole posted:

The second decree: no more pollution, no more car exhaust. OR OCEAN DUMPAGE. From now on, people travel in tubes!

DIdn’t want to let this go by unnoticed like those fuckers at City Hall want.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

a sexual elk posted:

I just started as a longshoreman at the Los Angeles/ Long Beach ports, what you got for me OSHA thread?

Ask not what the OSHA thread can do for you, ask what you can do for the OSHA thread.

:justpost:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There wasn't even a good reason...

August 21, 2008
"Philadelphia Sn 28 was raising the lower boom to get the bucket closer to the ground so two costumed mascots could enter. They were going to ride the truck in the bucket to the National Nite Out festivities several blocks up the road. The knuckle of the waterway made several contacts with the high voltage lines and then got stuck to them. The result is in JD’s photo. And no one was injured except for some bruised egos."

Just a reminder if you are ever in a situation where you’re near something like this the ground itself can have a dangerous voltage gradient expanding out from the point of contact.

This depends on the conditions of the earth itself (soil) and the voltage of the line.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
"But zooming out from the specifics of Herzberg's crash, the more fundamental point is this: conventional car crashes killed 37,461 in the United States in 2016, which works out to 1.18 deaths per 100 million miles driven. Uber announced that it had driven 2 million miles by December 2017 and is probably up to around 3 million miles today. If you do the math, that means that Uber's cars have killed people at roughly 25 times the rate of a typical human-driven car in the United States.

Of course, with a sample size of one, this doesn't tell us very much, statistically speaking, about the safety of Uber's vehicles in the future. It's possible that Uber just got exceptionally unlucky. But it seems more likely that, even with the safety driver, Uber's self-driving cars are way more dangerous than a car driven by the average human driver."

I'm not sure I follow this logic. He starts by saying a sample size of 1 offers no real statistically reliable data for an event that has a probability of 1 in milliions of occurring. Then suddenly abandons that idea and states it seems like Uber is way more dangerous.

If you roll a 100 million sided dice, and after 20 million rolls you got two 1's you can't really conclude that 1 is weighted to occur substantially more often than any other number.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Read the rest of the article below that part.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

E: Directed one above previous.

Or we can conclude that Uber's LIDAR and/or the backing software package is a giant pile of poo poo because it didn't pick up a loving person pushing a bike in basically the best possible test case for said package.

I'm inclined to agree with the Uber culture explanation upthread.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The point the Ars article was going for is that even when they're legally in the right, the Uber cars drive dangerously because they drive to the letter of the law.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
My favorite part of this is the audience reactions; ranging from 'polite yet bored interest, I came all the way down here after all...' to 'physical pain from the noise' and 'nearly vomiting from the smell'.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

GotLag posted:

The point the Ars article was going for is that even when they're legally in the right, the Uber cars drive dangerously because they drive to the letter of the law.

Granted Arizona is basically a hellscape of deserts and olds so maybe this is correct in retirementville, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to straight run over a motherfucker because they jaywalked in real states. LIDAR does not care about daylight so this can be called broad daylight. Basically line all Uber execs against the wall.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't actually true, it was dreamed up by AI fanboys who gave absolutely zero thought to practical considerations. Even if every single car is networked and warning each other in advance of any planned movement, the laws of physics still put significant constraints on the cars' ability to react to unplanned movements. Unless you're placing physical barriers around literally every road, it's dangerous to assume that everything that will ever be on the road is networked.

what if everyone hit the gas at the same time that would fix this traffic jam

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arizona, not at all coincidentally, has one of the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. While this was definitely a failure of Uber's technology, the more glaring issue is the negligence when it comes to road design. Long gaps between pedestrian crossings, poor grade separation around pedestrian crossings, not placing pedestrian crossings at locations where people are include to cross, poor traffic calming around pedestrian crossings (marked and unmarked!) - you could go on for a while about the design flaws in most of the roads in Arizona. Compare that to other local governments that are designing with those factors in mind and have significantly lower death rates among pedestrians.

In the OSHA thread of all places it should be obvious that accidents, differences in accident rates, and the severity of those accidents are usually more attributable to negligence in the design of systems and processes rather than the decisions (autonomous or otherwise) made within those systems.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

E: Sorry, directly above was a good rear end post that I cheapened.

E2 for penance/content: Someone way upthread said that AZ streets are basically laid out on 1mi x 1mi grids with no crossings in between, was that an exaggeration or do you literally have to walk ~1/2mi to the nearest crosswalk, wait what I assume to be a long-rear end time, then walk ~1/2mi back to cross the road? If so, loving no poo poo people are jaywalking.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 23, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Arizona, not at all coincidentally, has one of the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. While this was definitely a failure of Uber's technology, the more glaring issue is the negligence when it comes to road design. Long gaps between pedestrian crossings, poor grade separation around pedestrian crossings, not placing pedestrian crossings at locations where people are include to cross, poor traffic calming around pedestrian crossings (marked and unmarked!) - you could go on for a while about the design flaws in most of the roads in Arizona. Compare that to other local governments that are designing with those factors in mind and have significantly lower death rates among pedestrians.

In the OSHA thread of all places it should be obvious that accidents, differences in accident rates, and the severity of those accidents are usually more attributable to negligence in the design of systems and processes rather than the decisions (autonomous or otherwise) made within those systems.

in traffic engineering we prefer to call them “crashes” because “accidents” makes them sound unpreventable, allowing negligent-rear end design like what’s found throughout arizona to be absolved from blame

i don’t know how it works in arizona, but in louisiana it’s not uncommon to see lawsuits from victims or their families include the last engineering firm to touch the site and the municipality who approved the work for crashes like this where the design could even tangentially be a factor, which they’d be absolutely right to do so here

though i wonder if the arizona public engineers that’re supposed to be checking this kinda work are just incompetent or if their state dotd’s design requirements are entirely poo

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in traffic engineering we prefer to call them “crashes” because “accidents” makes them sound unpreventable, allowing negligent-rear end design like what’s found throughout arizona to be absolved from blame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puK5CwThaq4

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: Wanna fly out to LA and get a '96 Buick Roadmaster wagon cheap, add whaleskin hubcaps and a fuel cell in the back that could serve as a swimming pool for children, and try to beat Alex Roy. Because the stops for refueling seem to be the part that slows you down, if you do 85 all the way without having to stop for gas as much, it's as good as doing 175 and stopping for gas every two hours.. So get a gas tank to fill the cargo space of a station wagon. It gets maybe 15mpg flat out, and still has a queen-size bed for the codriver.

If you fill all 92.4 ft³ of the cargo area with gas, you only need to get ~4.15 mpg to make it without refueling. The two tons of gas(4442 lbs) might slow you down a bit though. However, if you can get 15mpg at whatever speed you're running, you'd only need ~170 additional gallons, which could be built into a tank the size of a queen bed that would only need to be ~8.2" deep.

Tumble posted:

It's gonna be super funny when the next person to set the record does it in a hybrid Camry.

This might be the winning strategy if you're filling the thing with gas though. According to some random forum the Prius gets ~38mpg at 90mph, Take off another 10 for traveling at 100mph, and you only need an extra 90 gallons/550 lbs of gasoline.

With either strategy, no stops are required, but probably a good idea for switching drivers/etc otherwise. However, with the average speed of 99mph, going to be hard to maintain even without stops. Despite the high speeds, the average speed while moving was still only 103mph. If you take roughly the same amount of time as Ed to navigate the endpoints, (21 minutes until he hit 80mph first out of NYC in 5 miles, and 11 minutes from 85mph to the end, covering 8 miles) you have to maintain 100.73 mph across the entire country(to tie). Any time you spend below, an equivalent time must be spent above your target. Hope you don't have to pump the brakes for cops!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

If you fill all 92.4 ft³ of the cargo area with gas, you only need to get ~4.15 mpg to make it without refueling. The two tons of gas(4442 lbs) might slow you down a bit though. However, if you can get 15mpg at whatever speed you're running, you'd only need ~170 additional gallons, which could be built into a tank the size of a queen bed that would only need to be ~8.2" deep.

This might be the winning strategy if you're filling the thing with gas though. According to some random forum the Prius gets ~38mpg at 90mph, Take off another 10 for traveling at 100mph, and you only need an extra 90 gallons/550 lbs of gasoline.

With either strategy, no stops are required, but probably a good idea for switching drivers/etc otherwise. However, with the average speed of 99mph, going to be hard to maintain even without stops. Despite the high speeds, the average speed while moving was still only 103mph. If you take roughly the same amount of time as Ed to navigate the endpoints, (21 minutes until he hit 80mph first out of NYC in 5 miles, and 11 minutes from 85mph to the end, covering 8 miles) you have to maintain 100.73 mph across the entire country(to tie). Any time you spend below, an equivalent time must be spent above your target. Hope you don't have to pump the brakes for cops!

A big part of the Prius' (and related) mileage is regenerative braking. If you're doing a hypermile cannonball run, I imagine you aren't hitting the brakes all that often.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tube technology!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

A big part of the Prius' (and related) mileage is regenerative braking. If you're doing a hypermile cannonball run, I imagine you aren't hitting the brakes all that often.

Prius does fine on the highway, with cruise control on. It’s slippery and it has a small engine that’s working not far from its efficiency peak.

But go much above the speed limit and fuel economy takes a nosedive. Wind resistance hurts and the engine is pushed farther from that peak.

I’d bet you’d still get in the twenties at 100 mph, though.

Being governed to go no more than 112 mph is probably a bigger problem.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Previa_fun posted:

Tube technology!

Is there a chance the tube may bend?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And will there be a series of them?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
haha you people have such a loving boner for AI cars your ego won't let you admit that people are rightfully afraid of them (like when they kill people).

Let it go, theres way more important things. The tech is young, and it will continue to be young for a very long time. It doesn't need your breathless defense

edit: for the record I think human drivers are poo poo and they don't deserve cars, but guess what, those same humans are bending over backwards to be first to market with a self driving car and they are all fuckups

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 23, 2018

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of Arizona, I loving HATE the traffic control that they do for work zones. Most other places I've been use orange barrels for lane closures/detours major road projects. They have a couple of advantages - they're nice and wide so not only do they stand out visually on their own, they also occlude and obscure anything behind them that a smaller object might blend into.

Arizona, on the other hand, just uses loving assloads of narrow plastic delineators. Coming up on a work zone can be like trying to drive into a forest of orange and hoping you guess correctly where the lane is supposed to be. They do put signs on top of them every so often but they can be confusing. On the left side of the lane, they put a "KEEP RIGHT" sign with a horizontal arrow and vice-versa for the right, although I've seen it where they're not directly across from each other. Also the whole sign is only maybe a foot high with like 3" lettering and you have to shift focus onto them from the actual roadway/work site for an extra second to figure out what the heck they mean sometimes.

Also pretty much every project uses a third-party contractor for their traffic control, and they don't seem to care about conforming to MUTCD for a lot of poo poo. I have a flagger card/have done a lot of work in the ROW and that poo poo would make me nervous.

And that's without thinking about the possibility that some prototype autonomous vehicle could plow through the job site while the test driver is watching Netflix.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not on your life my snowglobe friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Previa_fun posted:

Tube technology!

I will poison both your wines for this