Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The Titanic posted:

I need to get my rear end back in the kitchen and start making sandwiches in nothing but an apron and a tight collar that says "don't speak to me for my opinion is lesser and I ruin the world."

I've personally been prepping myself for the Kazan's and Montoya's of the world to show us our failings and lead us as only they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hazamuth posted:

I know I am a bit late for the party, but I was busy. But I do come with a gift.

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Thread is bad again.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

Look at Unreal's face capture tech.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/22/siren-epic-games-unreal-engine-vicon/

Look how utterly, wonderfully beautiful this is. That the UE, too, so you can actually build games with more readily-available technical talent.

"Chris can sell some of the tech he's developing" Chris Roberts isn't selling poo poo.

Meanwhile, on Star Citizen...

https://gfycat.com/HairyDamagedFlyingsquirrel

quote:

Shouldn't be too difficult or impossible to add a Fourier series subroutine to the environmental aspects on planets.

Then assign it with an intensity and directional variance with a gimbal object or anchor on various parts of the plants. Because it's a subroutine limited to the plant, you won't need a server system resource to do anything. It's all client side and would be almost nothing aside for some extra GPU due to more complex movement.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tag yourselves, I'm the procedurally generated Bundt Jello

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sandweed posted:

Sneak peak at the next race in SC

Nah, they've already got a mock Chinese culture locked down with the turtles, the bears would be something like Middle Eastern, or Native American.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
Bear Tane probe me scrod more rub often

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hazamuth posted:

I know I am a bit late for the party, but I was busy. But I do come with a gift.

OMG perfect! :five:

Hi mods, please can i have a sixer with that image and a few :wtchris::reddit:s please? TIA

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dooguk posted:

My first effort.....

Bearian Chambears is bearilliant!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Jason Sextro posted:

They actually believe that! That's the incredible thing. There are people who actually believe that Chris Roberts has developed something that others will want.

I watched some of WTFOs stream today and man, they’ve got a ways to go. As it had 200+ viewers and probably was streaming in le CIG LA Space Cafe it naturally attracted at least a couple of CIG staff.

WTFO was pretty cranky as framerates dropped sub 10fps and bugs met him at every moment of gamer agency. I don’t know why Sherman even bothers trying to steer narratives unless the fear is Chris will see a streamer snarking about performance and get mad if there isn’t some countervailing CIG force present assuring that itsallgood. Sherman was offering historical details on some ship design decisions of no particular consequence and Christian was joking about triangles. (Maybe there were others engaging, too - i wasn’t paying that close of attention.).

Even before performance hit the wall, it was hard to watch. The numbing emptiness of the gameplay, the tedium of a nearly 100% passive player experience, is made all the more tiresome by WTFO’s wincingly bad taste in music. It could been 4K at 120fps and still been the most ponderous watch on twitch. Made me want to crank ELO’s I’m Alive just to get some goofy fun with a pulse on...

It does make me wonder if there are people at CIG / Foundry who wish they’d stuck to the Landing zone vision of the first few years. They’d have far simpler problems to solve, it seems to me. I know the PG tech now include structure generation and theoretically the fleshing out of the ‘Verse could be made easier down the road but it doesn’t solve the much trickier and abstract problem of having meaningful play experiences. Travel is the core experience. The majority of player time spent in transit — either in ships or on feet. And it’s deathly dull, just as the Gamescom 2016 Eckhart Demo foreshadowed, only buggier. Only the nostalgiacs and ship collectors are likely to see this as a sufficient gameplay experience and the solution will NOT be the unpredictability of interdiction. That’s the high price of embracing PG and even Elite has only sorta mitigated the ponderousness. (Galnet Radio being the biggest advance.)

I say Chris should skunkworks a team there on Operation: Waifu. I’m semi-serious. Throw some serious cash at designing an NPC companion with a thousand lines of affirmation that sits beside you on those long dull stretches saying things like “You are the best pilot in the galaxy!”, “it’s a privilege to be part of your crew”, or “I like a man who knows how to handle a gun.” Something, anything to inject life into that vacuum would help. A UEE radio station, a time-passing minigame like Gwent... Something to give the player’s brain more to engage with than just the thrills of watching a circle get bigger verrrrrrrrrrrrryyy slooooooooooowlyyyy...

The Titanic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at cherry picked questions.

Let's see if I can guess at least one:

1: When will my avatar be in the communication view screen of another player?
2: When will FPS (frames per second, not the shooter part) be improved? (Not how)
3: When can we expect to see...

Expect lots of "when" questions that will get vague answers of soon and in upcoming patches. Not so many "how" questions but this won't stop CR from attempting to explain the unasked how poorly and ineptly.

What you won't see:

1: You promised changes to the chat system like 3 years ago. What happened?

Yeah. One isn’t allowed to remind Chris of things formerly promised. As Erris reminded us, “Things loving change!” Therefore one must never EVER hold today’s Chris to the claims of yesterday’s Chris. Chris deserves money “to make the game HE wants to make” and indeed, he has being doing nearly all of that except for the Game part.

That said, it still does feel like there’s some constriction underway that even Chris feels. The only energy really detectable anywhere is dissatisfaction. Those still engaged with the game aren’t having the thrills long imagined and sold for the 3.0 experience and even the nice guys like BadNewsBaron aren’t pretending its not a disappointment. The subreddit tells tirekickers the game isn’t worth backing yet instinctively and few are sticking to last year’s “Wait for (X) patch — that’s when you’ll really see this coming together.”

CIG even plans to poll backers again about priorities. It just adds another little data point in a suggestive picture of a once smug and complacent company now actually in a forced smile scramble to both squeeze out a little more cash and wear the unfamiliar mask of a company that actually cares what the community wants.

It’s a strange and I’d imagine disquieting period for CIG.

That said, I still think Lando will be tossing softballs tomorrow. Chris doesn’t swing at any other kind.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 23, 2018

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Apparently there were a few new ships added , Captain Richard is watching them jank out on the landing pad as we speak

The best part is everytime his fps tanks and then it comes back , the ships will jitter around and bounce like they're made of jello

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

It just adds another little data point in a suggestive picture of a once smug and complacent company now actually in a forced smile scramble to both squeeze out a little more cash and wear the unfamiliar mask of a company that actually cares what the community wants.

It’s a strange and I’d imagine disquieting period for CIG.

That said, I still think Lando will be tossing softballs tomorrow. Chris doesn’t swing at any other kind.

Hey baby were you in Civ 6?

Cuz you are a Great Writer

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

G0RF posted:

It does make me wonder if there are people at CIG / Foundry who wish they’d stuck to the Landing zone vision of the first few years. They’d have far simpler problems to solve, it seems to me.

Like I've said before, as many likely fatal problems the project already had, the procedural generation thing was a kill shot.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

trucutru posted:

Meanwhile, on Star Citizen...

https://gfycat.com/HairyDamagedFlyingsquirrel

Shouldn't be too difficult or impossible to add a Fourier series subroutine to the environmental aspects on planets.

quote:

Then assign it with an intensity and directional variance with a gimbal object or anchor on various parts of the plants. Because it's a subroutine limited to the plant, you won't need a server system resource to do anything. It's all client side and would be almost nothing aside for some extra GPU due to more complex movement.

:techno:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

tak posted:

Hey baby were you in Civ 6?

Cuz you are a Great Writer

Alas, no.

But this thread is a Great Work of Gaming Culture. Just look at those Bears and tell me it’s not...

XK posted:

Like I've said before, as many likely fatal problems the project already had, the procedural generation thing was a kill shot.

You say “kill shot”, Chris says “That crater to the left? I think you can fit all of Skyrim in there...”

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

G0RF posted:

You say “kill shot”, Chris says “That crater to the left? I think you can fit all of Skyrim in there...”
But Skyrim has more game play in one town than Star Citizen has in that crater, or even in the whole game.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

G0RF posted:

I say Chris should skunkworks a team there on Operation: Waifu. I’m semi-serious. Throw some serious cash at designing an NPC companion with a thousand lines of affirmation that sits beside you on those long dull stretches saying things like “You are the best pilot in the galaxy!”, “it’s a privilege to be part of your crew”, or “I like a man who knows how to handle a gun.” Something, anything to inject life into that vacuum would help. A UEE radio station, a time-passing minigame like Gwent... Something to give the player’s brain more to engage with than just the thrills of watching a circle get bigger verrrrrrrrrrrrryyy slooooooooooowlyyyy...

Time-passing mini-game, you say? Drink Mixing is IN.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
If anything the procedurally generated Crysis planet distraction has allowed CIG to limp along for another two or three years. It allowed the idiot cultists to dream bigger and distract themselves longer.

Even if travel was a joy and space combat perfectly thrilling CIG could never have managed to generate one hundred solar systems of bespoke landing zones populated by unique, voice-acted NPCs. The impossibility of Chris' retarded vision was apparent in the 2012 pitch video.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCUPNjgwEv8

This is so boring and broken, and the streamer is calling it the best and epic.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/qpuZlf0.gifv

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/976998415857893376

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris Roberts is an amazing visionary developer that has created so many groundbreaking technologies that other game development companies will want to purchase them just for the chance to catch up to CIG.

But also, third-party companies making things like face-over-IP, branded SSDs, and Lumberyard are creating groundbreaking technologies that CIG will want to partner with just for the chance to stay ahead of other studios.

Looking forward to Chris Roberts partnering with his cellmate.

Do prisons provide condoms, or will he have to go bearback?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Chin posted:

If anything the procedurally generated Crysis planet distraction has allowed CIG to limp along for another two or three years. It allowed the idiot cultists to dream bigger and distract themselves longer.

Even if travel was a joy and space combat perfectly thrilling CIG could never have managed to generate one hundred solar systems of bespoke landing zones populated by unique, voice-acted NPCs. The impossibility of Chris' retarded vision was apparent in the 2012 pitch video.

Everything you say is true, but the PG poo poo sent the project aim off the rails.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dooguk posted:

Can we adopt a doxxed bear and keep it and hug it and let it have adventures in the verse? PLEEEEESE!

https://i.imgur.com/8dUZEqW.gifv

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I wonder if Croberts can finish star citizen before boltonboltonboltonboltonbolton aaaaaaaaaaa

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Ramadu posted:

I wonder if Croberts can finish star citizen before boltonboltonboltonboltonbolton aaaaaaaaaaa

I wish Crobbler and the to-be national security advisor could switch jobs, so we'd all be more likely to not die in a nuclear hellfire.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/YpSYpBx.gifv

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

OMG perfect! :five:

Hi mods, please can i have a sixer with that image and a few :wtchris::reddit:s please? TIA

I suspect if I shrunk that down to probe size it would be a jumbled mess that's impossible to actually see, sorry.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

But Skyrim has more game play in one town than Star Citizen has in that crater, or even in the whole game.

True dat.

Chin posted:

I think Derek provided ample motive for cultists to double down on the turbobuying, even if they’d kept to the original vision. But Pupil to Planet definitely helped too. It gave Zealots the “take THAT, Elite Dangerous” weapon they needed and to many still seems like pure win.

quote:

If travel was a joy and space combat a thrill, players would at least have incentives to do either. We’d see much higher levels of engagement, much higher viewerships on Twitch, and SC streamers wouldn’t identifiable by 1000 year stares and permawinces. There is precious little fun to be found so everyone not committed to the slog just keeps waiting for the inflection point where the fun begins.

Still, I get your point. The lunacy is foundational with folly masquerading as high ambition from the start. 100 Star Systems with bespoke landing zones everywhere was never going to happen yet was the $6 million stretch goal. The 9 to 1 NPC ratio was arbitrary from the start yet became sacrosanct because “Chris has spoken.”

Internally, I’d assume CIG Devs have looked at a lot those early Robertsian declarations, put the nuttier ones all in a line, and will shoot them one by one in the head just as they did “100 Star Systems at launch.”

Chris has never really known what he wanted the Star Citizen experience to fully be besides BETTER THAN EVERY GAME EVER and he’s lurched from one incoherence to the next “selling the narrative” (and illusion of coherence) through highlight reels the whole time. He focused on selling compelling moments that are unburdened by constraint and disconnected from a design vision for the comprehensive play experience.

The PG thing has its upsides which were obvious from the start. Its liabilities should’ve been equally obvious but one senses that wasn’t the case at all. Yet to watch those many minute descents to a moon’s surface is to feel the weight of them. Chris and Erin both are probably far too excited by the prospects of letting their new PG structure generation tool turn into their new “easy bake real estate oven” so they can make rental properties their new subscriptions, space condos their new luxury ships, and get into the protection racket business with Land Beacons.

Who needs a game design vision when pathologized greed dictates the most sensible way forward?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Please give me a 6 hour hibernation period beet. I will give imaginary pats to Kayak and real pats to my real dog.

EDIT: Here's a picture of my bear as tribute.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm sorry, but it's time to doxx Bootcha.
https://i.imgur.com/hVRMkRe.mp4

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Barreft posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCUPNjgwEv8

This is so boring and broken, and the streamer is calling it the best and epic.

"Imagine like Ready Player One..."
:nallears:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

G0RF posted:

CIG even plans to poll backers again about priorities.

I sure hope one of the poll options is another scope expansion. That worked out great last time and I'm sure no one has any regrets at all. Nope, none.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

thatguy posted:

All the probes should be for doxxing.

I just doxxed the gently caress out of those anime things.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

May I have a bear sixxer please? We have any of the Arctic variety?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I'm sorry, but it's time to doxx Bootcha.
https://i.imgur.com/hVRMkRe.mp4

It's good to be the king.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

May I have a bear sixxer please? We have any of the Arctic variety?

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Over the last 15 pages, we’ve created more jpgs and unique creative content then Star Citizen has in the last 3 months

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Jesus Christ, a new Black Company book is going to come out before this game. Over and under on the next Game of Thrones book beating it out too?

....Dammit it's been years since I've been excited for a new book enough to pre order. I think I'm broken.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

G0RF posted:

OH, and Chris Roberts is the guest on Reverse the Verse tomorrow. They’ll be discussing upcoming quality of life improvements for the game.

Quality of life improvement for Star Citizen: uninstall the game.