Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So how do I fight HR monsters in investigations? I’ve got like 190 of these fuckers and all I get are LR rewards when I carve or capture. Do I need to ditch low star investigations and unlock a bunch more again?

Also someone sell me on the Light Bowgun because this thing seems boring as all hell. Is there any way to remote destroy traps that I don’t want out any more? Is there a way to do that with any traps that have a limit on how many can exist at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kawabata posted:

why isnt jho's gem at the loving melder

To generate exactly that reaction

Because player retention

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yodzilla posted:

So how do I fight HR monsters in investigations? I’ve got like 190 of these fuckers and all I get are LR rewards when I carve or capture. Do I need to ditch low star investigations and unlock a bunch more again?

Yeah, you have to get HR investigations. You can see the star rating of an investigation in the list, and beyond that if it's blue, it's LR, yellow is HR.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Yodzilla posted:

Also someone sell me on the Light Bowgun because this thing seems boring as all hell. Is there any way to remote destroy traps that I don’t want out any more? Is there a way to do that with any traps that have a limit on how many can exist at once?

Do high rank expeditions and pick up the tracks. Stop doing the LR stuff. Much easier way is to just SOS into other peoples HR investigations and pick up the tracks that way.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Put LBG traps in the way of monsters you know will charge or swipe at you and they'll go off on their own after a couple of hits. Or slap them yourself a couple times. If you mean the capturin traps I don't use them until the monster limps away to sleep or has a skull over his map icon. Those can just be destroyed with O.

LBG is like a toolbox weapon for status shots and hitting elemental weaknesses. It may just not be your thing though.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Fuzz posted:

They... Do?

Tempered investigations only come from tracks. All those other things will give you non tempered even if you are fighting tempered monsters.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

To generate exactly that reaction

Because player retention

From my experience working in the game industry, I actually suspect it’s probably just a legitimate oversight. It’s likely that the devs and testers don’t ACTUALLY grind out drops or anything beyond ensuring that they possibly can drop, and I doubt they do much purchasing at the melder beyond making sure that it functions and rewards the correct item while taking away the correct item. It may very well be that just nobody thought to include the deviljho gem in the melder at all. :v: I've seen much worse things slip into AAA games just because it's tucked away in a part of the game that the developers and testers don't touch often. Or rather, areas that they're so USED to touching that they no longer pay any attention to it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Managed to down the Pink Rathian the other night, after finally assembling and upgrading a Rathian alpha set.

But, different problem.
Been trying to help a friend of mine with the Odagaron Hunt in story mode. The problem is that her game keeps crashing in the middle of the fight, says it's error code CE-34878-0
It's been happening since before the patch.

She's reinstalling the game on her PS4 now, but, are there any other solutions in case that doesn't work?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

the_steve posted:

Managed to down the Pink Rathian the other night, after finally assembling and upgrading a Rathian alpha set.

But, different problem.
Been trying to help a friend of mine with the Odagaron Hunt in story mode. The problem is that her game keeps crashing in the middle of the fight, says it's error code CE-34878-0
It's been happening since before the patch.

She's reinstalling the game on her PS4 now, but, are there any other solutions in case that doesn't work?

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/error-codes/ce-34878-0/

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I am getting waaaaaay too into making Vaal-based hunting horn builds today. Here's three I came up with:

Jho - 1638atk, 30% affinity, white sharpness

Bazel - 1520atk 60% affinity, white sharpness

Nergi - 1378atk, 100% affinity, blue sharpness

I think until I can augment it I'll be using the Jho horn the least. Both my Bazel and Nergi horns are augmented with with recovery which helps more than anything with keeping you topped up for peak performance. Bazel isn't too far behind Jho in raw damage, has twice as much affinity and has both healing S and health recovery L as well as attack XL. While Nergi lacks an attack song and white sharpness it has earplugs L and way more decoration slots to play with since it isn't reliant on handicraft or protective polish.

But goddamn do I love the look and sound of the Jho horn. It makes horror film violin noises and the mouth moves.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

1500 posted:

Do high rank expeditions and pick up the tracks. Stop doing the LR stuff. Much easier way is to just SOS into other peoples HR investigations and pick up the tracks that way.

Roger.

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, you have to get HR investigations. You can see the star rating of an investigation in the list, and beyond that if it's blue, it's LR, yellow is HR.

Ah okay I didn’t know that’s what the colors meant.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
16 loving jhos, i have as many gems as the melder has

crapcom

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yodzilla posted:

Ah okay I didn’t know that’s what the colors meant.

They're also numbered the same as the quest list :)

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Kawabata posted:

16 loving jhos, i have as many gems as the melder has

crapcom

Was just about to post bitching about my 11 kills and no gems :(

The Jho Lance tip spins when you charge/counter. I'm basically gonna use this lance forever. Just wish I could upgrade it already.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I've beaten the story, White Winds, and Star, and I don't really care about grinding the most optimal deco setups...but I still play every day just because it's fun. It's the first game since Dark Souls to hit me with this bug: I play because I want to PLAY and that's it. I don't need progression, I just need more of the gameplay. Hell, After about 400 hours on this character, I'm tempted to start a brand new one for a gimmick playthrough or something, like I dunno, All Anjanath equipment or something.

Not to say that I don't want more, I'd certainly appreciate an Oolacile to tear through.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I agree about the tempered stuff, I hadn't really started on it until now but I'm trying to get into it and getting these investigations is a pain. When I finally do get a tempered monster it's like "oh and also fight pink rathian and black diablos". :arghfist: I need two more tempered threat 2 monsters to get the evasion mantle quest and I keep getting the same ones. Worst one I've done so far is definitely Uragaan :gonk:

Does anyone have the list handy of the different tempered monsters and their threat tier?

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

My top secret Lance tech is that far backhop and reverse shield advance chain into each other endlessly.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Friends the new event quest to get Beryl deposits... It's full of tempered elder tracks...

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Flytrap posted:

I've beaten the story, White Winds, and Star, and I don't really care about grinding the most optimal deco setups...but I still play every day just because it's fun. It's the first game since Dark Souls to hit me with this bug: I play because I want to PLAY and that's it. I don't need progression, I just need more of the gameplay. Hell, After about 400 hours on this character, I'm tempted to start a brand new one for a gimmick playthrough or something, like I dunno, All Anjanath equipment or something.

Not to say that I don't want more, I'd certainly appreciate an Oolacile to tear through.

Same. It's good to play while listening to podcasts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baron posted:

Friends the new event quest to get Beryl deposits... It's full of tempered elder tracks...

Well that's some luck :pram:

I still need to get tempered threat 2 stuff but I didn't have a single tempered elder dragon so this is perfect. Thanks, Capcom. Thapcom.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Baron posted:

About loving time we got one of these I say.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Got five investigations from one run through of the mission, took about 10 min. Now that I know where everything is I could probably do an optimized 2-3 minute route and get 3+ investigations a run. Great way to stock up.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Baron posted:

How long is it going to be around? I'll be away from my ps4 until next friday

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's only the one quest though, which is what's getting us.
She can go out and do any number of optional quests and expeditions, but that one specific story quest always crashes her, even when she joins someone else's instance.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

So apparently the new deviljho greatsword is pretty good. Can anyone recommend any good sets for that could make use of 2 handicraft gems and a focus gem?

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 23, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TaurusOxford posted:

About loving time we got one of these I say.

... The Simple Task from last week was literally the exact same thing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fuzz posted:

... The Simple Task from last week was literally the exact same thing.

Except you didn't get any tier 3 quests from it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I fought two Deviljhos with dual blades and maybe I'm just bad and learning a new fight, but it's a tough chipfest at his tiny legs between having to roll eight miles away from his tail swings.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

CVagts posted:

I fought two Deviljhos with dual blades and maybe I'm just bad and learning a new fight, but it's a tough chipfest at his tiny legs between having to roll eight miles away from his tail swings.

I first fought him with the hammer and it was either topple him so I can hit his head or use jumping/sliding attacks when the environment permitted. Since then I just use the lance to poke his face/chest and hit the tail when he falls.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

CVagts posted:

Yeah I just beat my first pickle using a lance and the entire time I was wondering how the gently caress weapons with low vertical range are supposed to hit him.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah I just beat my first pickle using a lance and the entire time I was wondering how the gently caress weapons with low vertical range are supposed to hit him.

Same way they fight Anjanath: gently caress up his ankles until he falls over, then go ballistic on his weak spot.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How long is it going to be around? I'll be away from my ps4 until next friday

A week I'm sure. But it will also probably be repeated when they do the spring event.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt3UB_P308M

yoyoyo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm okay with this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW I'm 100% willing to buy Monster Island DLC, some new hunts + armor/weapons and new environments will basically keep me coming back forever.

Yeah completely, I just hope they do DLC. The Monster Hunter model has been offshoot sequels that are basically standalone expansion packs for full price, which fits for mobile but kinda sucks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MAH BOY!

YESSSS that's like the monster I wanted most in MH:World.

Zinogre probably next most, maybe Barioth.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

I don't know what that is, but I want to kill it...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Baron posted:

I don't know what that is, but I want to kill it...

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Lagi was never much of a threat out of water though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I haven't fought Lagi since Tri and all I remember is he's super easy to fight on land.