Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was going to ask who everybody has on their Day 1 Watchlist but I have been beaten to it.

You probably don't want to pick him up right off the bat, but I would keep an eye on Keone Kela. Claudio is not at all guaranteed to keep that closer job on the Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey could you guys shut up, you're mentioning all the guys I'm trying to take in a goon league once my players get DL15. :)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Big Time Timmy Jim is the closer of the future

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giolito. Brad Peacock (in hopes he rejoins the rotation at some point). Michael A Taylor (is he the everyday CF?). Kemp and Neil Walker if they end up playing everyday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giolito. Brad Peacock (in hopes he rejoins the rotation at some point). Michael A Taylor (is he the everyday CF?). Kemp and Neil Walker if they end up playing everyday.

Fuckin' Giolito went way before I expected him too in my draft, along with Taillon. They're my boys :(

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Maybe it's the Cardinals homer in me, but I'm taking a chance on Mikolas, he has looked very good after his rough start of spring.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Maybe it's the Cardinals homer in me, but I'm taking a chance on Mikolas, he has looked very good after his rough start of spring.

I was angling to take Mikolas with one of my last two picks but somebody else before me had the same idea. I think he might end up being a popular "sleeper" guy this year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Cobb is on the wire in my goon league but Baltimore is one of the worst places a pitcher can sign. He's a wait and see for me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cobb is nothing without his split change. maybe he finds it this season

also, willie calhoun

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

For a deeeeeep sleeper, keep an eye on Colin Moran, the 3B Pittsburgh got in the Cole trade. Top draft pick who took a big step forward last year. Could be another launch angle success story.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moneyball posted:

Big Time Timmy Jim is the closer of the future

This is true. He's a lock for 45 saves. Just pencil that in right now.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

gently caress: everything

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh poo poo I missed the draft :(

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

All we can do is pray to the gods of RNG that they lead us to victory

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

gently caress: everything

I am sorry friend

kensei posted:

Oh poo poo I missed the draft :(

Same to you.

Can't wait for all of my picks to either go horribly wrong or die on the field

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I was on a date so haha nerds

My new laptop was bricked so that sucks

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
My draft was NOT GOOD. I think I'll finish ahead of the autodrafters though.

Evan Gattis Hou - C
Yonder Alonso Cle - 1B
Whit Merrifield KC - 2B,OF
Nicholas Castellanos Det - 3B,OF
Marcus Semien Oak - SS
Hanley Ramirez Bos - 1B
Anthony Rizzo ChC - 1B,2B
Bryce Harper Was - OF
Nelson Cruz Sea - OF
A.J. Pollock Ari - OF
Carlos González Col - OF
Jackie Bradley Jr. Bos - OF
Kendrys Morales Tor - 1B

Madison Bumgarner SF - SP
Zack Greinke Ari - SP
Jon Lester ChC - SP
Joe Musgrove Pit - SP,RP
Jeff Samardzija SF - SP
Brandon Morrow ChC - RP
Felipe Rivero Pit - RP
Mark Melancon SF - RP
Fernando Rodney Min - RP
Joe Biagini Tor - SP,RP
Michael Fulmer Det - SP
J.A. Happ Tor - SP

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There was a portion of the draft where I was definitely paying more attention to the Loyola/Nevada game than the draft and I made some...questionable decisions. Still happy enough with my team though. 4th pick (of 12).

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Inspector_666 posted:

I was angling to take Mikolas with one of my last two picks but somebody else before me had the same idea. I think he might end up being a popular "sleeper" guy this year.

As of right now, he's only 27% owned, so he is still out there in a ton of leagues.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh son of a bitch I knew I forgot about a yahoo draft

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

If Dominic Leone is available in your leagues, go pick him up. Sounds like Gregerson is gonna start the season on the DL and I personally believe Leone is gonna run away with the closer role.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

If Dominic Leone is available in your leagues, go pick him up. Sounds like Gregerson is gonna start the season on the DL and I personally believe Leone is gonna run away with the closer role.

Already dropped Claudio (who I shouldnt have drafted in the first place) for him!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

I was going to ask who everybody has on their Day 1 Watchlist but I have been beaten to it.

You probably don't want to pick him up right off the bat, but I would keep an eye on Keone Kela. Claudio is not at all guaranteed to keep that closer job on the Rangers.

Some motherfucker in my league just dropped Drury and picked up Kela a pox on my hesitation :mad:

EDIT: I just looked and it was my own brother that little fuckshit.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I tried to get players with a low risk of injury. So I'm sure half will tear their ACL's within a few weeks.

I also waited to draft all 5 of my RP with my last 5 picks in the draft. That was either brilliant or hilariously stupid.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Inspector_666 posted:

Fuckin' Giolito went way before I expected him too in my draft, along with Taillon. They're my boys :(
Yeah I had a ton of SP in my queue like Giolito, A Sanchez, Bundy, Gausman, Clevinger, Harvey, and all of them went like 100 picks early so I didn't even get the chance to reach for them. On the other hand, aces are hard to come by but you can usually pick up middling quality starters fairly effectively from the waiver wire.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fun fact: in the draft and forget league, I spent a large amount of my pick time in the third round debating between Verlander and the Bumgarner. My brain was telling me to go with the Bum of Madness, but my gut was telling me that I probably wouldn't have to worry about Verlander missing a bunch of starts.

So anyway, good luck Schweinhund

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I need some strategy advice for my money league draft coming up on Sunday night... The settings are a little crazy.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, NA

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

I'm planning to take 2 SP in the first 4-5 rounds, but beyond that I'm not sure. Anyone have any advice?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

H2H or roto?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I need some strategy advice for my money league draft coming up on Sunday night... The settings are a little crazy.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, NA

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Total Bases (TB), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

I'm planning to take 2 SP in the first 4-5 rounds, but beyond that I'm not sure. Anyone have any advice?

Do some extra research on the individual outfield slots to see if there's any positional scarcity you can take advantage of. I don't know if you'll find any but it's definitely worth your time to make sure.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
4 DL slots too. You can be way more aggressive with guys that will be out a while.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
If you haven't drafted yet, move MadBum down a few ticks on your cheat sheet. #evenyear

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/977325717355749376

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Moneyball posted:

H2H or roto?

H2H

IcePhoenix posted:

Do some extra research on the individual outfield slots to see if there's any positional scarcity you can take advantage of. I don't know if you'll find any but it's definitely worth your time to make sure.

Yeah I plan to do that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Fun fact: in the draft and forget league, I spent a large amount of my pick time in the third round debating between Verlander and the Bumgarner. My brain was telling me to go with the Bum of Madness, but my gut was telling me that I probably wouldn't have to worry about Verlander missing a bunch of starts.

So anyway, good luck Schweinhund

verlander scares me this year. i want no part of him. all those extra playoff innings, and at that age, and his general intensity...no thank you

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What the gently caress MadBum. THEY TOLD ME THERE WOULD BE EVEN YEAR MAGIC WHAT IS THIS

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Just traded Shaw for Nola straight-up in my first league. :snoop:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

jones and soria officially a committee

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Traded away Acuna and Matt Olson, got Freddie Freeman and Brad Zimmer. At first I was ecstatic but now I’m panicking that I gave up Mike Trout 2.0 :ohdear:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

:siren: Kingery made the Opening Day roster and got a 6 year extension before a single at bat. :stare:

go pick him up.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 25, 2018

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In a standard 5x5 league where OBP takes the place of AVG, how much of a bump does that give Votto? I have him ranked in the top-20, but does he jump into the top-10? Would you rank him ahead of Freeman (who I have ranked 12th)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

In a standard 5x5 league where OBP takes the place of AVG, how much of a bump does that give Votto? I have him ranked in the top-20, but does he jump into the top-10? Would you rank him ahead of Freeman (who I have ranked 12th)?

Yes he gets a huge bump in OBP. There could be an argument he's a top 5 pick in OBP leagues.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 25, 2018

• Locked thread