Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Then you really shouldn't have gone to Japan, should you now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
but gaijin smashing is a lot more fun when you can do it literally

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I watched a program yesterday on Fuji Network that involved some fitness trainer from Japan trying to get three Americans in LA to lose 15kg of weight in 2 months. One of the Americans couldn't eat anything except Mac & Cheese daily and thought that chicken and fish tasted awful. The trainer was surprised that Americans often carry a lot of weight near their butts.

The moral of the story here is that Americans are fat.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
No, it's that Americans have a really hosed up way of raising children.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Where can I buy rubbing / isopropyl alcohol in Japan and what is it called in Japanese?

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-percent-Pint/dp/B00ZCCYTWG

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
amazon.co.jp has their machine translation/search integration working p well now, so you can often just type stuff in and the right stuff comes out. This is from typing in "rubbing alcohol": https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_s...d=3T7K7VYS40JH7

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I forgot about amazon, thank you!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can get rubbing alcohol (ethanol エタノール) at most drug stores, usually near the band-aids.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I didn't know some rubbing alcohols were denatured ethanol. I thought they were all isopropyl alcohol.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ethanol and Isopropyl are both approximately as effective in treating wounds/cleaning with some very slight differences. The issue with why you normally see Iso in the US is that the USFG regulates Ethanol.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I want to convert 200,000 yen to euros, what would be the best way? Here are my options

1) Bank transfer from Japanese account to European one (Fairly high transfer rate)
2) Withdrawal money using Japanese Visa Debit ATM in Europe
3) Directly exchange yen to euro in Japan (Not sure where though)
4) Directly exchange yen to euro in Europe (Probably the worst method?)

What do you guys think?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Last night in shibuya some strange young Japanese guy approached my girlfriend and I and started mumbling to us about nationalism and racial purity. We basically told him to piss off but he just kept following saying that he was learning about nationalism in university and that we are dirty and should have pride in our country etc. This all occurred near the shibuya police station and I’m sure his intention was for me to hit him in front of a crowd, which luckily didn’t happen.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? I’ve been here for four years in total and never had someone so boldly say stuff like that to my face. Apparently there were loads of ultra nationalists around announcing stuff because of hanami busyness...is this just something they do every year? My girlfriend is obviously pissed and wants to leave Japan.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Are you Asian or something?

Also punches to the stomach are much more subtle and usually don't leave external bruising.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m a white guy from New Zealand. He did keep asking me what my nation was and if I’m American though.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

inklesspen posted:

I'm arriving Sunday with my Schwab Bank (no ATM fee, no international fee, refunds all third-party ATM fees) card and will investigate.

Got 30k from the 7-11 ATM at Narita on Sunday, which showed up as $288.79 in my Schwab Bank account. There's no transaction fee for my card, and the receipt says the "handling fee" is charged by Seven Bank, so I'm guessing it's an ATM fee from the Seven Bank side.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I went to Japan for two weeks early February and had a blast. Went to Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Hakone, Shibu Onsen and Tokyo. The first half of the trip was really hectic though, since it was all day trips out of Osaka. A day each is definitely enough for Nara and Himeji, I think, but I ended up returning to Kyoto a second day. I'm really glad I went back that second day, because Fushimi Inari Taisha was totally worth it. The higher you climbed up the mountain, the fewer tourists you would run into, until the point where you'd only come across elderly Japanese who were coming down the mountain. I got to the halfway point at sunset, and the view was breathtaking. Climbing further up in the dark surrounded by mini shrines and fox statues while crows are cawing feels really otherworldly too. It's definitely worth going up and away from all the tourists to get some good shots. Himeji unfortunately, was a disappointment, especially since I had already seen Osaka Castle. They give you these slippers to wear when you're touring inside Himeji Castle, and those staircases inside are deathtraps with how small the steps themselves are.

I stayed in all sorts of accommodations including an airbnb apartment, a ryokan, a capsule hotel, run of the mill hotels and luxury ones. The standout overnight stays were the Andaz Tokyo (no surprises there) and Oak Hostel Cabin, a capsule hotel in Tokyo which I initially booked just to experience a gimmick, but holy poo poo. That place was preposterously nice. If I had known it would've been that good, I would've booked my entire trip in capsule hotels. It was 23 USD a night, and they threw in a free high quality t-shirt. There's a lounge/kitchen with vending machines, and your room is literally just a bed, but it was comfortable. The showers were immaculate and the water pressure was strong. I had free night redemptions at the Andaz and paid more in taxes and fees on my 'free' nights than I spent at the capsule hotel.

People kept telling me that Japan was expensive to visit, but I found that not to be the case as a tourist at all. Maybe it's just because I'm from New York instead of Alabama or whatever, but 30 USD a day including accommodation would have been doable if you were willing to stay at a capsule hotel and eat street food or 7/11, Lawson or Family Mart all the time. Maybe splurge a bit to get some fantastic cuisine though. It's the same thing when people told me that it rains a lot in Seattle, or Austin BBQ is the best. People are full of poo poo and just echo what they've been told by others without actually going to the places in question. If the price has ever been a deterrent to any of you guys who want to go to Japan, just do it. The most expensive part of the trip if you're budget conscious will probably be the flight. You can be a dumb gaijin in Japan, even if you're poor. Looking back at it, 30 days at 23 dollars is cheaper than the average rent around here in NY.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

People kept telling me that Japan was expensive to visit, but I found that not to be the case as a tourist at all. Maybe it's just because I'm from New York instead of Alabama or whatever, but 30 USD a day including accommodation would have been doable if you were willing to stay at a capsule hotel and eat street food or 7/11, Lawson or Family Mart all the time.

:psyduck:

I’m not recommending anybody spend tons of money on trips to Japan but please do better than capsule hotels and conbini food every meal.

They both have their place, but as your only source? Yiiiiikes.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

harperdc posted:

I’m not recommending anybody spend tons of money on trips to Japan but please do better than capsule hotels and conbini food every meal.

I did mention that maybe you should spend some actual money on food. My single fantastic experience with that one capsule hotel is maybe a bad metric to judge capsule hotels by though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Conbini food is still better than what most Americans eat daily so I'm not seeing the problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fami chicky in the morning, fami chicky in the evening, fami chicky at supper time

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

TastyLemonDrops posted:

They give you these slippers to wear when you're touring inside Himeji Castle, and those staircases inside are deathtraps with how small the steps themselves are.

Himeji imho simply beats out Osaka castle (you were probably just tired and worn out from already having visiting the latter). All original castles have really steep staircases because that's how they were originally built.

Imho, from conbini, best things are probably onigiri, oden, and a couple of fried items. However, department store basement food is just simply way better, and not necessarily much more expensive. When I was a student, I lived off 8pm bentos that were priced at 30-50% off. Finally, kaitenzushi is always very solid to save some money. I used to be able to easily do a meal for like 10-15$ on sushi.

PS: Dont do this sort of poo poo unless you're a poor student.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Last night in shibuya some strange young Japanese guy approached my girlfriend and I and started mumbling to us about nationalism and racial purity. We basically told him to piss off but he just kept following saying that he was learning about nationalism in university and that we are dirty and should have pride in our country etc. This all occurred near the shibuya police station and I’m sure his intention was for me to hit him in front of a crowd, which luckily didn’t happen.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? I’ve been here for four years in total and never had someone so boldly say stuff like that to my face. Apparently there were loads of ultra nationalists around announcing stuff because of hanami busyness...is this just something they do every year? My girlfriend is obviously pissed and wants to leave Japan.

It happens occasionally; I know a few people who have heard similar comments before. It’s just that it’s usually really old dudes, like 75 and older, that do it.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The day I arrived in Tokyo via Shinkansen there was some sort of big right-wing rally/gathering that caused every single coin locker in Tokyo Station to be out of service, I guess bombing concerns. Really messed with my plans as I wanted to leave my luggage there and head back out, but instead had to lug it all to my hotel before check-in time and turn right back around to the station. Passed a big group of militarily-dressed dudes shadowed by several police on the way. No one accosted me directly or anything though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi goons I can’t be there sorry . Got a work thing in tianjin

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Hargrimm posted:

The day I arrived in Tokyo via Shinkansen there was some sort of big right-wing rally/gathering that caused every single coin locker in Tokyo Station to be out of service, I guess bombing concerns. Really messed with my plans as I wanted to leave my luggage there and head back out, but instead had to lug it all to my hotel before check-in time and turn right back around to the station. Passed a big group of militarily-dressed dudes shadowed by several police on the way. No one accosted me directly or anything though.

That was probably your (assuming you're American) president visiting. I guess 'right-wing rally' might still be accurate though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

ntan1 posted:

Himeji imho simply beats out Osaka castle (you were probably just tired and worn out from already having visiting the latter). All original castles have really steep staircases because that's how they were originally built.
Yeah, as someone who has been in a bunch of UK and Ireland castles, steep and narrow staircases are a thing in castles. I always spent my time coming down them frightened to death of tripping, and can't imagine how a servant could handle carrying trays up and down them all the time.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I think it had more to do with the fact that there was a museum of sorts inside Osaka Castle. Himeji Castle was just this empty interior with a shrine at the top.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The reason Himeji doesn't have a "museum" is that new Osaka castle was built with the idea that there would be a museum inside it.

They're not going to build a museum inside of a historical centuries-old castle where the entire grounds are a national treasure.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I think it had more to do with the fact that there was a museum of sorts inside Osaka Castle. Himeji Castle was just this empty interior with a shrine at the top.

dont come back

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

harperdc posted:

what point is there to come to japan if i'm not taking in the culture??????????

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My first castle was Hiroshima Castle. It was... a concrete replica...

Matsuyama and Kochi castles are good.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

caberham posted:

dont come back

Aren't you Tsundere for Osaka though???

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've arrived in Japan and now writing from my hotel room in Ikebukuro. Stupid tired from flight (not used to intercontinental at all), but have managed to get all the basic stuff in place with Suica, data-SIM. Need to get a hang of the coins, and holy poo poo you get a lot of them, feels bad to stand in the konbini trying to pluck out the right ones so you don't just get even more change. Weather is fine, comparable to late summer in Denmark, glad I'm not here during July-August.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

nielsm posted:

[...]Suica[...]Need to get a hang of the coins, and holy poo poo you get a lot of them, feels bad to stand in the konbini trying to pluck out the right ones so you don't just get even more change.

pssst, use the Suica.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

nielsm posted:

I've arrived in Japan and now writing from my hotel room in Ikebukuro. Stupid tired from flight (not used to intercontinental at all), but have managed to get all the basic stuff in place with Suica, data-SIM. Need to get a hang of the coins, and holy poo poo you get a lot of them, feels bad to stand in the konbini trying to pluck out the right ones so you don't just get even more change. Weather is fine, comparable to late summer in Denmark, glad I'm not here during July-August.

If you like ramen hit this place up. Best ramen in Tokyo imo.

Karashibi Miso Ramen Kikanbo - 東池袋1-13-14 - http://4sq.com/1rLd7kR

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Better than afuri??

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If you're in Ikebukuro you should check out Mutekiya too

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

QuasiQuack posted:

If you're in Ikebukuro you should check out Mutekiya too

Aren’t they all over the city? The even have one in Hong Kong

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

caberham posted:

Aren’t they all over the city? The even have one in Hong Kong

That's news to me :v:
Their ramen is excellent though

Edit: There used to be an old guy with a ramen cart setting up in various areas of Ikebukuro. The food was nothing special really but the atmosphere was fantastic. I miss that guy.

QuasiQuack fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We are going back to Japan this year. We are going in June-July.
Planning on climbing mt Fuji in July.
Noticed that there were a lot of festivals in June. So we definitely want to experience those.
Okinawa is a place we want to visit.
Still working on a itinerary

nielsm posted:

Last year. After a few weeks, I had started to accumulate way too much of the smaller coins. The bus fare accepts all coins. So one time I paid the bus fare in mostly 1 and 5 yen coins. Helped to get rid of them.
The bus driver did give me a wtf look.