Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

So, has anyone else had what they thought would be a dream job turn into a nightmare?

I took this job working in industrial ammonia refrigeration , thinking it'd be great, and id get to work on stuff that's super interesting., etc...
Only to find out apparently it really sucks. I've been here over a week, and haven't gotten any training in service. It's all been working in manufacturing.
The hours suck. 10hr mandatory days, 12 if you're in the field. . And it's working 17 days without a day off. A normal tour is 10. And you don't get to go home, you get to share a room in a lovely Days Inn. They don't even have a pancake printer for breakfast.

And if you quit while here you have to pay for the flight back. gently caress this was a mistake.

gently caress. How much longer is the training?

How much is the plane ticket back?

Edit: GODDAMN CAT TAX AGAIN

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just leave man no matter what it costs

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm stuck here until the 29th.

The good news is, that I called the company I turned down in Vegas, and they said I'm still good to go there. So, I've got that lined up at least.

Also, I tried a local-ish beer here, Parkway Brewing company, and good God is that the single worst beer I've ever had. I almost threw up just from the taste.
Today is not my day evidently.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ExplodingSims posted:

So, has anyone else had what they thought would be a dream job turn into a nightmare?

I took this job working in industrial ammonia refrigeration , thinking it'd be great, and id get to work on stuff that's super interesting., etc...
Only to find out apparently it really sucks. I've been here over a week, and haven't gotten any training in service. It's all been working in manufacturing.
The hours suck. 10hr mandatory days, 12 if you're in the field. . And it's working 17 days without a day off. A normal tour is 10. And you don't get to go home, you get to share a room in a lovely Days Inn. They don't even have a pancake printer for breakfast.

And if you quit while here you have to pay for the flight back. gently caress this was a mistake.

That sucks. :(

Can you hold out long enough to at least get home on their dime?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

Where you promised training in service, or that you would be servicing ammonia refrigeration systems? If you were, I'd bring that up to the powers-that-be. At least make an attempt (if you haven't done so) to rectify what you thought was going to happen with management. If they're all bait-and-switch, GTFO. If you just didn't ask the right questions, lesson learned, I guess. Sucks, regardless.

edit: days and hours would still be rough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Not a nightmare, but not what I thought it would be and turning out to be a big disappointment.

It was my dream to be a freelance sports photographer and when it actually happened I found out that's it's just like any other job really. The big mistake I made was doing the math with the money I was making and the time I was actually putting into it, being behind the camera was only a fraction of it.

You learn from it and move on, sounds like you've already got a plan so good luck.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

quote="Darchangel" post="482419679"]
Where you promised training in service, or that you would be servicing ammonia refrigeration systems? If you were, I'd bring that up to the powers-that-be. At least make an attempt (if you haven't done so) to rectify what you thought was going to happen with management. If they're all bait-and-switch, GTFO. If you just didn't ask the right questions, lesson learned, I guess. Sucks, regardless.

edit: days and hours would still be rough.
[/quote]

Yeah, we were supposed to be training in service. I was told on the phone, and in the first meeting we had there, that we would be working one week in the shop, then be paired up to go out and start service training. Then after the first week they were like, well we're just gonna have you finish out the tour at the shop. So yeah, pretty sketchy IMO.

Also, I was told we could pick between having a 10 day tour schedule, (10 straight days working, 4 off) or working a Mon-Fri schedule. Them they came back and said that wouldn't be an option for me, I would have to take the 10 day schedule.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, gently caress them. If they're going to lie to you at the start, it's only going to get worse. You don't need that poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you call them out at all? I mean you have to say something to at least let them know you're not happy with the situation. If they want to keep you they may try to rectify it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, I brought it up, but they just said it was due to being hard to schedule "Due to the weather"

But ether way, 12hrs a day, not being able to go home, and having to share rooms/cars is just not worth it either way
I'd rather just have a local job to maintain something of a good work life/work balance.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Yes and the answer is to leave as soon as you can.

I.e. try to get something, anything else lined up and then go. Even if it is a promising mdonalds job.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
A friend of mine from community college got into ammonia refrigeration and and makes great money and splits the 24/7 service job with 4 other guys and makes big six figgies. How do you mess every single part of that up?

Report them to your state labor board, especially if any of that is in writing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Get out man car greyhound whatever.

Turned 41 today sitting at a bar I have chosen poorly in life. That is all.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

DJ Commie posted:

A friend of mine from community college got into ammonia refrigeration and and makes great money and splits the 24/7 service job with 4 other guys and makes big six figgies. How do you mess every single part of that up?

Report them to your state labor board, especially if any of that is in writing.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to get into it. the money can be great, and the stuff they work on is super cool. Plus as a specialized part of the trade, Ammonia techs are always in demand, and you can generally get whatever you want.

But this company just seems to suck. I actually almost didn't go, I looked up employee reviews of the place and it was almost all negative. But, I figured, hey, it might just be bitter fired people or something, but no, it seems I should have listened.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

Get out man car greyhound whatever.

Turned 41 today sitting at a bar I have chosen poorly in life. That is all.

Is it a nice bar at least?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

Is it a nice bar at least?

Yes it is a nice place. I wish I could have a do over and only be kind and never sin. But it is what it is.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

everdave posted:

Yes it is a nice place. I wish I could have a do over and only be kind and never sin. But it is what it is.

That's boring. And sins are bullshit.

My last 9 birthdays were spent either deployed or on duty and working. It's just a day.

Then again I'm standing in a shed going through a crate of 7" singles listening to each one so don't listen to me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

Nah gently caress that.

The key thing is to learn from your mistakes.

A mid level rear end in a top hat who doesn't realise he is an rear end in a top hat is indeed an rear end in a top hat forever.

A high level rear end in a top hat who regrets his past and tries to be a better person is indeed a better person.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

Nah gently caress that.

The key thing is to learn from your mistakes.

A mid level rear end in a top hat who doesn't realise he is an rear end in a top hat is indeed an rear end in a top hat forever.

A high level rear end in a top hat who regrets his past and tries to be a better person is indeed a better person.

Hey y’all thanks I just try to help people and love my little girls every day the weight of the world is heavy lately

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ED you’re a good internet person and probably a good person irl. Happy date of birth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just found a jar of hot sauce in the pantry. Probably from a batch I made 4 years ago.

It's still delicious.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

ED you’re a good internet person and probably a good person irl. Happy date of birth.

I couldn't have said it better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, that's why I wanted to get into it. the money can be great, and the stuff they work on is super cool. Plus as a specialized part of the trade, Ammonia techs are always in demand, and you can generally get whatever you want.

But this company just seems to suck. I actually almost didn't go, I looked up employee reviews of the place and it was almost all negative. But, I figured, hey, it might just be bitter fired people or something, but no, it seems I should have listened.

If you can stand it, just stay through the training, for two reasons.

1) They pay you (I assume/hope) for this time and pay your way home at the end.
2) You can put the training on your resume!

Then when you quit when you get back you can just say it's because they didn't deliver on their promises (both training and your future schedule).

Of course, ultimately it's your decision of course, and I wish you the best of luck no matter what your decision is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So say we all

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

everdave posted:

Hey y’all thanks I just try to help people and love my little girls every day the weight of the world is heavy lately

Eh, gently caress that. Focus on helping yourself and loving your girls. Everything else will work itself out.

Happy birthday and just don't drive drunk.

I got accosted by a stray pitbull in my garage a couple hours ago. Was swapping records, turned around and it snapped at me. Chased it outside, and as soon as it got outside it snapped and lunged. I kicked that loving thing so goddamn hard in the head I have a bruise on my shin.

It ran to the road, and i thought it was gping away, then it turned around and snarled and started toward me again, so I booted the mother fucker yet again, and actually pulled my pistol out because gently caress if I'm being attacked in my own loving yard by a stray, when I hear someone scream. A mom and two kids, trying to get this loving mongrel.

I'm the biggest dog lover in the world, but if it had lunged again I wouldn't have felt a second of pity for putting a loving bullet in it. Talked to some neighbors and this is the third time this week that dog has been roaming. Now I can't even put my dogs in the yard (fenced) without worrying about them trying to get out after the loving thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Eh, gently caress that. Focus on helping yourself and loving your girls. Everything else will work itself out.

Happy birthday and just don't drive drunk.

I got accosted by a stray pitbull in my garage a couple hours ago. Was swapping records, turned around and it snapped at me. Chased it outside, and as soon as it got outside it snapped and lunged. I kicked that loving thing so goddamn hard in the head I have a bruise on my shin.

It ran to the road, and i thought it was gping away, then it turned around and snarled and started toward me again, so I booted the mother fucker yet again, and actually pulled my pistol out because gently caress if I'm being attacked in my own loving yard by a stray, when I hear someone scream. A mom and two kids, trying to get this loving mongrel.

I'm the biggest dog lover in the world, but if it had lunged again I wouldn't have felt a second of pity for putting a loving bullet in it. Talked to some neighbors and this is the third time this week that dog has been roaming. Now I can't even put my dogs in the yard (fenced) without worrying about them trying to get out after the loving thing.

That's a big problem around here, pitbulls are a popular breed and usually popular for the wrong reasons. A pitbull is not a dog you want to bring up the wrong way, because when they get loose poo poo like that happens. I hope you had some strong words for the owner, I've told my neighbor that has two aggressive pits that if they wander on to my property it will not end well for them, but that was before i got a new fence.

Sucks that now you have to worry about that bullshit. I know you have dogs to worry about but imagine having children at risk to that as well, it's a real problem.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Unfortunately my pit has gotten more aggressive toward other dogs since the baby came along. She used to be more happy go-lucky. She's still well behaved for the most part and doesn't go looking for trouble.

Off lead and away from the baby she just wants to play for the most part.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a big problem around here, pitbulls are a popular breed and usually popular for the wrong reasons. A pitbull is not a dog you want to bring up the wrong way, because when they get loose poo poo like that happens. I hope you had some strong words for the owner, I've told my neighbor that has two aggressive pits that if they wander on to my property it will not end well for them, but that was before i got a new fence.

Sucks that now you have to worry about that bullshit. I know you have dogs to worry about but imagine having children at risk to that as well, it's a real problem.

I love pits so it bothers me even more. One neighbor has small kids, and he walked over to their house with me. We both told them if the dog ends up on either of our properties again it will be shot without question.

If that had been my wife, even? She would have been in the loving hospital. Or any of the older people.

It's not the dogs fault, but I'm not dealing with someone else's lovely dog parenting when my or any member of my family could be in danger from it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The Locator posted:

If you can stand it, just stay through the training, for two reasons.

1) They pay you (I assume/hope) for this time and pay your way home at the end.
2) You can put the training on your resume!

Then when you quit when you get back you can just say it's because they didn't deliver on their promises (both training and your future schedule).

Of course, ultimately it's your decision of course, and I wish you the best of luck no matter what your decision is.

Seconding this, if it's not physically or mentally wrecking you, stick it out and bail the moment you land back home.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I love pits so it bothers me even more. One neighbor has small kids, and he walked over to their house with me. We both told them if the dog ends up on either of our properties again it will be shot without question.

If that had been my wife, even? She would have been in the loving hospital. Or any of the older people.

It's not the dogs fault, but I'm not dealing with someone else's lovely dog parenting when my or any member of my family could be in danger from it.

Was the owner at least apologetic?

I've found that rear end in a top hat dogs usually have rear end in a top hat owners.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, remember that guy that told us that pre-preemptive war with North Korea and Iran was the way to go? The same guy that convinced GWB that WMDs were in Iraq?

Guess where he is now.

quote:

There is no United Nations. There is an international community that occasionally can be led by the only real power left in the world, and that's the United States, when it suits our interests and when we can get others to go along.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Was the owner at least apologetic?

I've found that rear end in a top hat dogs usually have rear end in a top hat owners.

Nope. Your anecdote holds true yet again. They were cunts.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've got not tolerance for that poo poo anymore. I grew up working with my dad whenever I was at his house for the weekend and people would legitimately sic dogs on us. Or even worse, the dog would come barreling at us across the yard after they stupidly opened the door, snarling and snapping at us while they shouted from the porch how he was just a sweetheart who wanted to play. More than once I dropped the 28ft fiberglass ladder I carried while working with him on someones dog or my dad beaned it over the head with a 12" crescent wrench when they pulled that poo poo. I like dogs and feel bad for having to injure one, but I'm not getting a chunk torn out of me because a dog's owner was a dipshit who never gave it a minute of training.

Even now at oreillys I've had some redneck with their non trained (or worse "I made him more aggressive so he'll bite robbers!") pitbull in their truck want codes read and I've refused to do it until the dog is gone.

Dogs are good, cats are better. :colbert:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I may or may not have just made the perfect bloody mary recipe. Must test with the garnishes tomorrow.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I almost fell at work today and pulled my groin in the proces. I want to ice my inner thigh, but I also really don't want to hold ice that high on my inner thigh. Onto the next best remedy, too much sake

Tide posted:

I may or may not have just made the perfect bloody mary recipe. Must test with the garnishes tomorrow.

As long as we're on bar topics, my one weird tip for margaritas made with cheap tequila and/or margarita mix is just to toss in a 1/4-1/3 oz of olive juice for an 8oz shaken margarita
I despise olives. And it sounds so gross, but the slight boost in saltiness covers bitterness even without a salted rim; the savory-ness rounds out the rougher flavors in cheap booze and mellows the disgustingly sweet syrup of margarita mix

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well this doesn't look good for Uber, apparently they altered the video, shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=1XOVxSCG8u0

Can any AZ goons confirm this?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Why are the only pit owners the most broken girls I know from high school (20+ years ago). And also those that said kind words to me it means more than I can say. Thank you

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well this doesn't look good for Uber, apparently they altered the video, shocking.

Yes, that's legit, but I don't necessarily go to altered video. That video looks just like it came from a crappy camera that balanced on the headlight area only - whatever phone that person filmed with definitely has a better dynamic range.

Also the accident happened south of Washington/Curry so I don't know why they bothered continuing north.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 23, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not sure what you are asking to be confirmed, that a guy filmed that stretch of road using a cell phone instead of whatever lovely dashcam was in the Uber and it looks brighter?

I seriously doubt that Uber had an opportunity to alter the video, since the car was involved in a fatal accident, unless the Tempe cops are complete failures at policing, that evidence would have been collected at the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Yeah, like IOC says, it looks more like the Uber dashcam's just got really lovely light balance than any alteration. That's part of why I'm so angry at it, as the human operator would have much clearer sightlines than the video suggests, and the dark should be no problem for the sensor suite on that vehicle if configured as advertised.

• Locked thread