Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

So the economist quoted in the DW article, Ndongo Samba Sylla, has an article in English on the CFA Franc from 2015. It has more explanation in English than I've found elsewhere so I'll post it here.

quote:

Like other colonial empires – the UK, with its sterling zone; or Portugal, with its escudo zone, France had its franc zone. The CFA franc – orginally the French African Colonial franc – was officially created on 26 December 1945 by a decree of General de Gaulle. It is a colonial currency, born of France’s need to foster economic integration among the colonies under its administration, and thus control their resources, economic structures and political systems.
So it literally is France's colonial currency for Africa

quote:

Post-independence the CFA franc was redesignated: for the eight members of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) – Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo – it became the African Financial Community franc; for the six members of the Central African Economic and Monetary Community (CAEMC) – Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and Chad – the Central African Financial Cooperation franc. The two zones possess economies of equal size (each representing 11% of GDP in sub-Saharan Africa). The two currencies, however, are not inter-convertible.
What was even the rationalization for dividing the currency zone into two? It just reeks of divide and conquer. Curious what limitations there are on economic activity between the two zones.

quote:

Firstly, a fixed rate of exchange with the euro (and previously the French franc) set at 1 euro = 655.957 CFA francs. Secondly, a French guarantee of the unlimited convertibility of CFA francs into euros. Thirdly, a centralisation of foreign exchange reserves. Since 2005, the two central banks – the Central Bank of West African States (BCEAO) and the Bank of Central African States (BEAC) – have been required to deposit 50% of their foreign exchange reserves in a special French Treasury ‘operating account’. Immediately following independence, this figure stood at 100% (and from 1973 to 2005, at 65%).

This arrangement is a quid pro quo for the French ‘guarantee’ of convertibility. The accords stipulate that foreign exchange reserves must exceed money in circulation by a margin of 20%. Before the fall in oil prices, the money supply coverage rate (the ratio of foreign exchange reserves to money in circulation) consistently approached 100%, implying in theory that Africans could dispense with the French ‘guarantee’. The final pillar of the CFA franc, is the principle of free capital transfer within the franc zone.
My guess is that the "final pillar" here has caused some significant capital flight to France

quote:

Despite its exceptional longevity, the CFA franc by no means enjoys unanimous support among African economists and intellectuals. Its critics base their analysis on three separate arguments. Firstly, they condemn the absence of monetary sovereignty. France holds a de facto veto on the boards of the two central banks within the CFA franc zone. Since the reform of the BCEAO in 2010, the conduct of monetary policy has been assigned to a monetary policy committee. The French representative is a voting member of this committee, while the president of the WAEMU Commission attends only in an advisory capacity. Given the fixed rate of exchange between the CFA franc and the euro, the monetary and exchange rate policies of the franc zone nations are also dictated by the European Central Bank, whose monetary orthodoxy entails an anti-inflation bias detrimental to growth.
So two things:
1. It looks like the claimed veto is de facto and not formal.
2. France has a vote but the representative from WAEMU doesn't? Who are the other voting members of the monetary policy committee?

quote:

In October 2016, a group of African and European economists published a book entitled [in translation] Liberate Africa from Monetary Slavery: Who Profits from the CFA Franc? The date was not selected at random; it coincided with a meeting of the franc zone’s finance ministers, central bank governors and regional institutions. In the wake of the public debate sparked by the book, people are beginning to speak out.
It looks like the book here is, sadly, only in French. Too bad, I'd love to hear the various arguments African economists are making wrt the CFA Franc.

Also, while I was looking into the CFA Franc I found this document in the Wikileaks archives. According to US intelligence sources, one of the Sarkozy government's internal reasons for regime change in Libya was to protect the CFA Franc from a competitor currency.

quote:

Qaddafi's government holds 143 tons of gold, and a similar amount in silver. During late March, 2011 these stocks were moved to SABHA (south west in the direction of the Libyan border with Niger and Chad); taken from the vaults of the Libyan Central Bank in Tripoli.

This gold was accumulated prior to the current rebellion and was intended to be used to establish a pan-African currency
based on the Libyan golden Dinar. This plan was designed to provide the Francophone African Countries with an
alternative to the French.franc (CFA).

(Source Comment: According to knowledgeable individuals this quantity of gold and silver is valued at more than $7
billion. French intelligence officers discovered this plan shortly after the current rebellion began, and this was one of the
factors that influenced President Nicolas Sarkozy's decision to commit France to the attack on Libya.
According to these
individuals Sarkozy's plans are driven by the following issues:

a. A desire to gain a greater share of Libya oil production,

b.Increase French influence in North Africa,

UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05779612 Date: 12/31/2015

c. Improve his intemai political situation in France,

d. Provide the French military with an opportunity to reassert its position in the world,

e. Address the concern of his advisors over Qaddafi's long term plans to supplant France as the dominant power in Francophone Africa)

Wow, our leaders are so honest to each other behind closed doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What's the deets on this rail strike action?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Joint nationwide strike by SNCF workers, teachers (and other civil servants), hospital staff, and air traffic controllers. :getin:

quote:

Main info
  • Rail services in France set to be severely disrupted with only 40 percent of TGV trains running
  • 30 percent of fights to be cancelled out of Paris airports CDG, Orly and Beauvais
  • Paris Metro to run as normal, but RER services hit
  • Many schools and creches set to close as teachers and public service workers strike
  • Eurostar says it's still not sure if services will be affected
  • Rail workers have announced another 36 days of strike action)

Here's the calendar for the rolling strikes at SNCF over the next three months:

At noon, the director of SNCF was on France Info fearmongering about the CGT calling to disrupt train services on the other days in an email.

Also, there's going to be a strike at Air France on Friday.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

So it literally is France's colonial currency for Africa
[/quote]
Yes, were you under the impression we unilaterally imposed it in the 90s or something like that? The unified colonial currency was kept in use because it was politically and economically convenient for the local* big industries (*mostly owned by foreign capital) to keep it. It was part of the decolonization deal: don't ruin our business and you can have your political independence, because in case you missed it, African colonization was and still is (at a corporate level those days) all about the exploitation of African resources for a relatively small group of investors. You do know the particular history of decolonization of the western and central African nations versus Morocco and Algeria, right?

Chomskyan posted:

What was even the rationalization for dividing the currency zone into two? It just reeks of divide and conquer. Curious what limitations there are on economic activity between the two zones.
2? Historically it's more like 4.
La Réunion and Mayotte did adopt the Franc in the 70s and now use the Euro. Pacific islands still use the franc pacifique (CFP).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 21, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

No, I know virtually nothing about French colonialism, other than a little bit about France destroying Algeria. But if you can point to some resources in English (especially those written by Africans) I’d like to learn more

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Chomskyan posted:

No, I know virtually nothing about French colonialism, other than a little bit about France destroying Algeria. But if you can point to some resources in English (especially those written by Africans) I’d like to learn more
Yes you have to realize that the worse amount of damage was made by people who did consider Algeria as a part of France (the "L'Algerie, c'est la France" crew) with little consideration about the local population. Sadly for you most of the best books are written in French ( i would advice Aimé Césaire's book "Discourse on Colonialism", there are probably a few decent translations, unlike things like the black book of colonialism by Marc Ferro). The first thing you need to learn is that poo poo started under Charles X(which you should learn about because , Jesus, what he did to Haiti), was made worse by Napoleon 3, and the 3rd republic's french colonialism was kinda different to classical English colonialism (in a "different but still horrible" kind of way).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 21, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chomskyan posted:

2. France has a vote but the representative from WAEMU doesn't? Who are the other voting members of the monetary policy committee?

The administrative board of the central bank voting members are:
- the governor of the Central Bank
- one member for each member state of the WAEMU, appointed by their relevant government. Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Togo.
- one member appointed by the French government.
Total ten members, governor included.

The monetary policy committee members are:
- the governor of the Central Bank
- the two vice-governors of the Central Bank
- one member appointed by the WAEMU Council of Ministers from a list where each WAEMU government proposed one
- one member appointed by the French government
- Four other citizens of WAEMU countries, appointed by the WAEMU Council of Ministers

The audit committee members are:
- one administrator of the Central Bank, citizen of the WAEMU country currently presiding the Council of Ministers
- three administrators of the Central Bank, citizens of other WAEMU countries

The national credit council, for each WAEMU member country, is:
- the finance minister
- the Central Bank representative (I think the one they appointed to the administrative board)
- any and all members of the monetary policy committee that are citizens of the relevant country
- four members appointed by the relevant government, including the director of the treasury
- the president of the professional association of banks and finance industries
- another member appointed by the aforementioned professional association of banks and finance industries
- three members appointed by the chambers of commerce, industry, and agriculture
- two members appointed by consumer organizations, defending the interests of bank customers
- two members appointed by universities
- four other members appointed by the monetary policy committee for their recognized skills in the domains of the economy, monetary policies, finance, law, or accounting.

That's for the BCEAO. The BEAC has a different organization and is not the subject of the article you were quoting. This is the stuff from the official site.

You'll notice that for the monetary policy committee members, the president of the WAEMU Commission is not listed, which is consistent with people who are there only in an advisory council. Instead, there's a voting representative appointed by the WAEMU Council of Ministers. The article tactically neglects to mention that.

I'm not going to claim that the CFA should absolutely be upheld or that it's the best possible thing for the African countries that use either flavor of it. I am myself quite critical of ECB policies aiming at having a strong currency and a low inflation regardless of what would be most appropriate for the Eurozone as a whole; and it makes sense to me that monetary policies that are detrimental to countries such as Greece, Italy, or Spain would be even worse for countries such as Mali, Burkina Faso, or Senegal.

But these articles tend to be written in a way that plays a bit fast-and-loose with the facts to make it look like a Sinister French Conspiracy to Oppress Black People Out Of Spite instead of a colonial legacy that African governments have found convenient (for a mix of good and bad reasons) to keep around. The simple fact that a non-Francophone country that was never part of the French empire decided 23 years after getting its independence from Portugal to adopt this currency shows that there's more to it than French imperialism. Inversely, the fact that countries like Mauritania left the CFA (13 years after independence in Mauritania's case) shows that it's not a prison and that leaving it is definitely possible.

The ECOWAS, which is a superset of the WAEMU, is planning on creating its own common currency for its member countries that aren't in the WAEMU. It would be the eco. After successfully creating it, then the CFA would merge into it. It's a cool plan but since they're using euro-like convergence criteria (even if slightly more lax), they have for now drifted further away from their goals than they were when they first had the idea.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

So! Who among you will be marching tomorrow alongside me?
The demonstration in Paris starts at 2 PM, rallying place is in front of the Ministère de l'Economie, metro station Bercy. Please don't chuck Molotov cocktails at the people in uniform guarding the ministry, they're my colleagues (feel free to aim at any minister, though)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Probably won't make it this time unless the demonstration gets relocated in Malakoff.
Don't get teargassed too much

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Thanks, this is all very helpful

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Chez les Français, c'est toujours la grève.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

So! Who among you will be marching tomorrow alongside me?
The demonstration in Paris starts at 2 PM, rallying place is in front of the Ministère de l'Economie, metro station Bercy. Please don't chuck Molotov cocktails at the people in uniform guarding the ministry, they're my colleagues (feel free to aim at any minister, though)

:france:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

JustJeff88 posted:

Chez les Français, c'est toujours la grève.

God, if only

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Happy "Nicolas Sarkozy est mis en examen pour corruption" day, everyone.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts and prayers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

unpacked robinhood posted:

Thoughts and prayers

Curses and swears!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I don't know how much time you've spent in the anglophone nations, specifically the US/UK/Canada, but there I can attest that it's "Live to work", not "Work to live". Virtually no holiday time, long hours, miserable work culture.

Just to give you an example, our de facto assistant manager at work has been there a year. We've been so understaffed that he's often worked 55-60 hours per week, yet he's accumulated a total of two days paid holiday. That's so insulting that I think that he should use those two days to find the CEO of our company and spend about 48 hours beating him fiercely with The Rights of Man.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Gosh, did humanity do a bad job at building civilization

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Montpellier : des étudiants occupant la fac de Droit passés à tabac par des hommes cagoulés.

TL;DR in English: a group of men in balaclavas and armed with sticks beat the hell out of law students occupying a lecture hall in Montpellier. There are a few videos in the article.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kassad posted:

Montpellier : des étudiants occupant la fac de Droit passés à tabac par des hommes cagoulés.

TL;DR in English: a group of men in balaclavas and armed with sticks beat the hell out of law students occupying a lecture hall in Montpellier. There are a few videos in the article.

:wtf: what even is the goal (other than gratuitous violence)

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Judging by the comments from obvious sympathisers under the Midi Libre article, break the strike and generally beat the poo poo out of leftists

Also wow, don't read the comments under the Midi Libre article

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

lost in postation posted:

Judging by the comments from obvious sympathisers under the Midi Libre article, break the strike and generally beat the poo poo out of leftists

Pretty much this. There's also speculation that the university leadership let it happen. There's a video interview of the law faculty dean in that article I linked where he all but says that it was students opposed to the strike who took things in their own hands. He certainly doesn't seem shocked or saddened that it happened.

Edit: "There were about 50 students [opposed to the strike] and they wanted to defend themselves. I cannot blame them.

[...]

I'm rather proud of my students. They have my full approval."

Kassad fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 23, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Gosh, did humanity do a bad job at building civilization

No, just the brutish uncivilized Anglo-Saxons

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hostage crisis in a supermarket near Carcassonne, the attacker pledged allegiance to isis

edit: sky reporting one dead hostage

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 23, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Possibly two dead:

https://twitter.com/julbeaumont/status/977144253653676032

But don't worry, Gérard Collomb is on the way to personally take down the terrorist.

Edit: Seems that the police are seeing someone who might be dead but can't get close enough to confirm

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/977144725722599424

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
what even is the goal (other than gratuitous violence)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
best case scenario it's a lone inspired rear end in a top hat on the internet trying to win his virgins in the afterlife, or it's the start of an ad campaign to show the shitheads they still mean business by killing european zionist pigdogs

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Man, a hostage situation in a supermarket. That’s like, a friday in America.
Our terrorists are getting lamer and lamer every day.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/LePoint/status/977171836415946753

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
yeah i'm sure that's gonna happen

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/977178533733814274
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/977178755398623233
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/977178893227569158

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that gendarme has balls of steels, that poo poo seems like straight out of an action movie

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/opinion/macron-trump-friendship.html

quote:

PARIS — It is tempting to say that the relationship between President Emmanuel Macron of France and President Trump is the unlikeliest of friendships, but that would be to miss the point.

Sure, they agree on very little. Not on Iran. Not on trade. Not on the European Union. Not on climate. Not on whether to criticize Vladimir Putin. Not on the importance of dignity, or truth, or the Enlightenment.

Still, I hear that they speak all the time. Trump follows Macron’s labor-market reforms and calls to congratulate him. The first state visit of his administration will be Macron’s to Washington next month, a special honor for “a great guy.” The French president is Trump’s best friend in Europe, and possibly beyond. Things fizzled with Theresa May, the British prime minister. They never went anywhere with Germany’s Angela Merkel. Trump-Macron is the only trans-Atlantic hinge not creaking.

This is not really surprising. Both men came from nowhere, mavericks hoisted to the highest offices of their lands by a wave of disgust at politics-as-usual. They are, in their way, accidents of history, thrust to power at the passing of an era. Longing for disruption produced these two disrupters.

Both laid waste to the political establishment, either smashing or co-opting mainstream parties. Both understood the fact that voters were bored as well as angry, mistrustful of the liberal consensus, angry at globalization’s predations, restive for grandeur, thirsty for the outspoken rather than the dutiful warnings of experts.

Macron, who at 40 could be Trump’s son, has honed a grandiose theater of the center, thereby giving centrist politics new vigor at a time of extremist temptation. He’s tough on immigration because he knows his survival depends on it. Trump’s is the theater of the zigzagging bully, nonstop noise often drowning out meaning. For both men, movement and action are essential.

Gaullist pomp, shunned by Macron’s predecessor, is back. If that’s what it takes to defeat the racist National Front, bring it on. Macron celebrated his victory last year with an address to the French people at the Louvre, greeted Putin at Versailles, and returned to the Sun King’s palace this year for a “Choose France” summit meeting of global C.E.O.s to trumpet some $3 billion in foreign investment.

“It’s not ‘Make France Great Again’ — except that it is, sort of,” a French friend observed.

Macron’s Bastille Day celebration — complete with guards on horseback, troops, tanks and fighter jets — so impressed his special guest, Trump, that Trump now wants his own version with a heavy air component (but sans tanks) on Veterans Day.

Ridiculous? I think this friendship is so important as Trump surrounds himself with hawks that I’m prepared to swallow hard.

Or rather, it’s potentially so important. We have yet to see what Macron can leverage from this relationship. We don’t know if it’s a nice thing or a beneficial thing. It did not stop Trump from leaving the climate accord or recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. The jury is still out.

Trump did exempt the European Union from steel and aluminum tariffs, an issue on which the French had pressed hard. “If we are viewed like China, that would be a big problem,” one senior official told me before Trump’s decision.

Next up: Iran. If Macron cannot avert the worst on Iran — a decision by Trump on May 12 to torpedo the nuclear deal by no longer waiving sanctions — then all bets are off. The accord, which reversed the program that had made Iran a threshold nuclear power, is working. The French are determined to preserve it.

If it collapses, the Shia-Sunni Middle Eastern confrontation will worsen, Iran may race for a bomb, and Saudi Arabia will not be far behind. The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty could fray to the point of meaninglessness.

The signs are not good. Mike Pompeo, nominated by Trump as the next secretary of state, is an Iran hawk. John Bolton, the new national security adviser who will replace Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, wants to abrogate the nuclear deal and bring down the Iranian regime — and that’s just for starters. Devastation looms. Macron’s — and Europe’s — challenge in blocking Iran folly has just grown tougher.

As Trump’s behavior becomes more erratic, a trend the Russia investigation will only accentuate in the coming months, the Macron friendship is some insurance against the worst. Unlike Trump, the French president knows what he wants and is capable of pursuing a coherent strategy.

He’s also a bulwark against all the destructiveness Trump has embraced: ethno-nationalist bigotry, the growing authoritarianism of Putin and Xi Jinping, the erosion of the rule of law, trade wars, the militarization of foreign policy and the undercutting of the European Union.

Macron’s vision of restored greatness is consistent with French ideals. Trump’s involves the betrayal of America’s. There’s the difference. A lot hinges on this being a friendship that delivers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ah, yes, an Op Ed in the New York Times by Murdoch apologist Roger Cohen. Do take at face value.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I intended it for mockery, not reading for real

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

I intended it for mockery, not reading for real

Carry on, then! :)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The term hero is tossed around lightly. Legit respect to this guy.

https://twitter.com/gerardcollomb/status/977405502740205568

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That woman he saved has to be experiencing an interesting mix of conflicting feelings

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Did Valls miss this chance to rant about salafists? Do bears poo poo in the woods?

quote:

"Je pense qu'il faut prendre un acte fort, politique, à caractère symbolique d'une interdiction du salafisme", a également proposé Manuel Valls. "Je reconnais que c'est extrêmement difficile, on peut fermer des mosquées, un des imams salafistes de Marseille est en voie d'expulsion...", a-t-il détaillé.

Pour lui, "les idées salafistes, les mots salafistes ont gagné la bataille idéologique au sein de l'islam". "Nos adversaires, ce sont les salafistes, les Frères musulmans, l'islam politique", a fait valoir Manuel Valls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wahabis > salafis, according to a Valls study on lovely islam