Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Does TRU still do December 10 billing? I don't blame manufacturers / distributors if that's the case.

I don't know. All I recall is when the news broke about the last round of potential closings it was reported that they hadn't been making payments to vendors. If they do liquidate it's likely that Hasbro/Mattel/Funko (lol) won't get even half what they are owed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Since I'm not a toy guy outside of plastic robots that turn into objects and back, do toys r us still do that much volume in the wider world of toys for it to be a real disaster for toy companies?

I read earlier in the thread that they're actually trading fine and it's just lovely loans killing them or something but I can't say I've ever seen a particularly busy toys r us in the U.K. other than the big rear end queue of vultures when the administration was announced.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
10% of all lego sales are through toys r us, apparently. Hasbro, mattel, and other toy stocks all dropped when it was announced. Toys r us was the only store where large companies could test new, larger or more obscure products without massive investment. This is an unmitigated disaster for the entire toy industry. Everyone involved with Bain capital and organizations like them should be purged, vulture capitalism is harmful to an incredible amount of people and the economy as a whole.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Yeah and gently caress MITT ROMNEY

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

capitalism is harmful to an incredible amount of people and the economy as a whole.

Sounds about right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean yes

But baby steps, as much as Full Communism Now is appealing, that ain't happening right away.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean yes

But baby steps, as much as Full Communism Now is appealing, that ain't happening right away.

Can I interest you in some...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Toys R Us is busy during very specific timeframes, because there's only a select few times when children are both not in school and have parents who are free to bring them into a toy store.

I feel like toys really benefit from the experience of being able to see them in person, and that sort of thing can't really carry over to online stores. Especially since children are less likely to patiently wait for delivery. It definitely seems like a net negative for the industry for the last big specialty store to go down.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I learned on a manual...

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

SIGN ME UP! I prefer the next generation flavor communism.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Liquidation sales are crap anyway and if you're excited about them you're excited to pick through the stray leavings after morons who see 30% off get all excited by these once in a life time deals that are actually more than regular price. There's some fluke deals of course but it'll be finding old weird stuff not like PoTP wave 2 or something.

The_Doctor posted:

They’ll pass it onto IF, who are glacially slow about customer service, apparently. Still waiting for TFS Express to hear anything about my Brawl issue from IF.
So I've typed up a post replying to your question about my IF Blast Off and I swear I've posted three times but I never do. The gently caress. I can't find it.

My Booster Spear has two of the same front wing section which makes for a very derpy shuttle mode. I deal with a local Canadian dealer, Madhaus, who already sorted the matter out for me and the part is awaiting my next order from him.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When KayBee toys went out of business I went to three different stores looking for deals.

All I walked away with is a chunky Fisher Price Darth Vader keychain that has now hung from the rear view mirror of four different cars

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The UK sale is already in effect and I got some late Titans Return Legends dudes for friends at 25% off. With the UK already being cheaper than Ireland I basically saved about 40% over buying them here.

Except they never arrived here anyway, so... yeah.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Sockser posted:

When KayBee toys went out of business I went to three different stores looking for deals.

All I walked away with is a chunky Fisher Price Darth Vader keychain that has now hung from the rear view mirror of four different cars

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just noticed Gnaw has the little pins that Titan Masters use to stay in the little vehicles they come with in his jaw, so yeah he has an eating gimmick that also doubles as a sort of cockpit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

Just noticed Gnaw has the little pins that Titan Masters use to stay in the little vehicles they come with in his jaw, so yeah he has an eating gimmick that also doubles as a sort of cockpit

I love how all the TR Legends can fit a TM somehow.

Looking at all the TR guys I can see a lot of potential future re-releases that would pass as Cybertronian. The Misfire/Sluggslinger/Triggerhappy mold variation is gonna get a lot of use.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This is too real dogg
I wasn’t ready for that

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
as someone who dabbles very little in TF, but decided to do a dumb thing and buy a Warbotron Bruticus because it's incredible - what is the "best" MP Starscream to go with him? Consensus seems to be MP11 ?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sba posted:

as someone who dabbles very little in TF, but decided to do a dumb thing and buy a Warbotron Bruticus because it's incredible - what is the "best" MP Starscream to go with him? Consensus seems to be MP11 ?

Maketoys Meteor has a far superior bot mode. But if you want something that scales better a Classics Starscream.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Maketoys Meteor has a far superior bot mode. But if you want something that scales better a Classics Starscream.

I think he's specifically looking for a Masterpiece style Starscream

Classics, while living up to the name, is quite a small figure and far more basic.

Though depending on whichone you go after, maybe not any cheaper

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

I think he's specifically looking for a Masterpiece style Starscream

Classics, while living up to the name, is quite a small figure and far more basic.

Though depending on whichone you go after, maybe not any cheaper

Well Warbotron Bruticus isn't exactly "MP" styled which is where I was going with that suggestion. For true scaling I revise my suggestion to Iron Factory Starscream. For MP I stand by Maketoys.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

sba posted:

Maketoys Meteor by a country mile.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Well Warbotron Bruticus isn't exactly "MP" styled which is where I was going with that suggestion. For true scaling I revise my suggestion to Iron Factory Starscream. For MP I stand by Maketoys.

Oh no, I understood where you were coming from and entirely agree.

He just specifically said an MP style Starscream so I figured that was the size he was looking for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also I hope you at least bought the KOOS version.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Rippersnapper is $16.99 on Amazon. Just ordered him.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pubic works project posted:

Rippersnapper is $16.99 on Amazon. Just ordered him.

shiiiiit

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

The monkey's paw closes a finger, and Takara announces, next year: MP Armordillo

who am I kidding I'd be on that like white on rice
MP Transquito. Accessories include a shelf to sit on forever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A squirrel got into my house's attic and fell down into the wall, and decided the only way out was through, so it chewed a hole in my bedroom wall and went on a tear through my room before being dispatched. Poor Herqules got thrown across the room by the little bastard as it leapt eight feet in the air onto the top of a detolf.

Herqules survived the hardwood floor encounter, but now his hips are a little floppy. Battle damage, I guess. Still, way sturdier than I would have expected considering he got thrown a good six feet horizontally and fell about eight feet from where he was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has anyone ever preordered through ThinkGeek? I was thinking if tracking down new waves get dicey it might be worth it to try via TG.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thinkgeek is Gamestop-owned, isn't it? I've bought a ton of stuff through Thinkgeek in the past(all that $$$ dota merch), but that was before they got bought by someone. They were legit before, not sure now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
As far as articulation for kids goes, yeah, I think figures should have elbows and knees. So basically, vintage G.I. Joe articulation and not vintage Star Wars. Just thinking from a non-transformers viewpoint, knees will let a figure sit down in seats and things for vehicles and playsets. The worst articulation are those diagonal swivels at the legs that some figures used to have, so they spread their legs out when they try to sit. Star Trek figures usually had this for some reason. It looks a little lewd.

I think another thing is that back in the 80s, nobody cared that their Star Wars toys only had 5 joints because that's all they knew. They had standardized higher articulation on Star Wars figures in the 2000's, then they went back. I figure any kid who knows about the better, older figures is going to be like "hey, what the hell man? What gives?" It's like opening pandora's box.

Also doing this makes it so ONLY kids want them. I think most Star Wars collectors go for the Black Series these days and that's it. Unless you get them mint on card. I've always felt that the guys who buy tons of MISC Star Wars figures might be the craziest toy collectors out there (that and hot wheels.) There so goddamn many Star Wars toys! And 99.99% of them aren't worth anything! Those 90's POTF are worth less sealed today than they retailed for originally. Why not open them? It's not a wise investment. You are literally better off buying bitcoins or playing slot machines. Not that I'd recommend that, either...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah but you see, one day my Extreme Dinosaur pterodactyl figure will be worth MILLIONS, therefore!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Rhyno posted:

I was thinking that originally. But what if my addiction grows :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grab a chair, this thread is like AA for toy buyers.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
gently caress. Darkwing, Sludge, and Snarl were $16.99 on Amazon. I debated on getting them (since I don't start my new job until next week) and now the prices got jacked up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just set a price alert, they're starting to saturate.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A local discount store had some random old movie exclusives in stock today. 2007 deluxe 2009 concept Camaro Bumblebee from Target. Except I think it's a knock off, because the quality is garbage. Also the two-pack with this and some voyager-ish Optimus Prime, and the same old mountain of unsold Powerdives.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Yay!! Just bought Blackwing, Sludge, and Snarl. Now I just need Rodimus, Tailgate, Hun-Grr, Moonracer, and Elita-1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You don't actually need Moonracer because she sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

You don't actually need Moonracer because she sucks.

No I need her so I can have a set of female Autobots. Then I can set up the G1 episode scene.