Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/977014907504943104

I could've sworn he already left years ago, but it's official now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Benne posted:

Same. Still, good for him. Now let's see if he's the only one to peel off, or if more people are gonna follow him out the door.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There can't be too many left at this point. I wonder if it'd be excessive to have some sort of timer counting down how many people are left at CA.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This whole Channel Awesome drama combined with the Cambridge Analytica scandal has caused me quite a few double takes.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Benne posted:

How much of his viewership was actually watching on the TGWTG site? Since they go through YouTube now (as far as I know), it seems like it'd be easier to follow the actual creators on a website with a smart phone (and game console) app.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 23, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sephyr posted:

It depends. Sometimes when things are bad you can no longer go on that 4k dollar trip, but you can at least afford a $60 dollar game instead to stay busy for a few dozen hours. Games are elastic in weird ways.

Also, unlike in the first Game Crash, games can now be played on hardware everyone has normally (PCs, tablets, cell phones) instead of buying something expensive just for the purpose of buying more games. So a crash would likely punish consoles and big productions but spare more modest outfits that can keep things efficient, cheap and rewarding.

That said, it all hinges on the general economy, and how dickish the industry is.

This is true, but that’s why I focused on triple A. The whole notion of triple A high production quality games for the “core” gaming audience is built on a house of cards and publishers know it, that’s why they’ve been trying hamfistedly to move towards models built by freemium phone games to capture the casual market to please their shareholders and offset rising development costs.

My expectation is that we’ll see the output of triple A games dwindle after a recession and games aimed at the “core” audience drop noticeably in production quality, coupled with wailing and gnashing of teeth blaming casuals for the changes.

On topic: I want to second the recommendation a page or two ago for Mandalore Gaming, he’s pretty great. :)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. Still, good for him. Now let's see if he's the only one to peel off, or if more people are gonna follow him out the door.

I see they put him under "archived shows" instead of "scrub him from the site and we're PLEASED to announce..."

I'm actually curious how #ChangeTheChannel will affect (effect? loving grammar) people's departure schedules.

Maven's still there (I thought she exodus'd with everyone else. Shows how much I pay attention to that site).

Given some of the #CTC threads, I'd put fake money on the next being Suede.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
PS: If anyone has a line to Todd... he turned off notifications on his "Goodbye Channel Awesome" tweet, but there's some people asking "omg where can I follow you now?"... maybe suggest to him to make one more tweet (in that thread or otherwise) with "If you're looking for me, he's my youtube, vimeo, and of course, patreon... (links)..."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lightning Knight posted:

This is true, but that’s why I focused on triple A. The whole notion of triple A high production quality games for the “core” gaming audience is built on a house of cards and publishers know it, that’s why they’ve been trying hamfistedly to move towards models built by freemium phone games to capture the casual market to please their shareholders and offset rising development costs.

My expectation is that we’ll see the output of triple A games dwindle after a recession and games aimed at the “core” audience drop noticeably in production quality, coupled with wailing and gnashing of teeth blaming casuals for the changes.

On topic: I want to second the recommendation a page or two ago for Mandalore Gaming, he’s pretty great. :)

triple a games are dogshit and have been for a long time anyway, them dying would be fine except the part where a bunch of people lose their jobs. otoh those people would prolly lose their jobs anyway since major publishers chew up and spit out programmers, artists and musicians at an absolutely loving disgusting rate. and hey maybe a good number of them could go out and found independent studios where they can make the games they want to make rather than boring focus-tested samey garbage thrust upon them by executives who have never played a game in their life and only care about delivering profits to shareholders.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

I see they put him under "archived shows" instead of "scrub him from the site and we're PLEASED to announce..."

I'm actually curious how #ChangeTheChannel will affect (effect? loving grammar) people's departure schedules.

Maven's still there (I thought she exodus'd with everyone else. Shows how much I pay attention to that site).

Yeah, I went to the Cursed Site to check to see who's actually still there, and I was surprised to see that quite a bit of the original core non-Doug talent is still there. Like, I thought Bennett left CA a long time ago too, but he's still there, same with Rantasmo. But yeah, their last remaining big names beyond that are Brad, Linkara, FilmBrain, Nash, Hagan, Guru Larry, and Joe. Stuckmann and SFDebris both 1) came much later, and 2) came from already successful off-sites, so I have no idea why either of them are still on CA either.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

One of the biggest names who still posts videos on there (Very exclusive hush hush source, rhymes with...um...Booboo Barry) gets, at the very best, 1,000 views off there these days. Essentially what a new video of his gets on YT in like a few mins when they're posted. Not even sure how involved the process is these days, I imagine for most it's like, habit.

I also thought Todd had left years ago which kinda goes to show dunnit? Lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

financially racist posted:

triple a games are dogshit and have been for a long time anyway, them dying would be fine except the part where a bunch of people lose their jobs. otoh those people would prolly lose their jobs anyway since major publishers chew up and spit out programmers, artists and musicians at an absolutely loving disgusting rate. and hey maybe a good number of them could go out and found independent studios where they can make the games they want to make rather than boring focus-tested samey garbage thrust upon them by executives who have never played a game in their life and only care about delivering profits to shareholders.

I don’t really disagree, even tho I personally play a lot of triple A games.

Unfortunately the future of gaming looks like it’s gonna be a lot of freemium microtransactions garbage.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I went to the Cursed Site to check to see who's actually still there, and I was surprised to see that quite a bit of the original core non-Doug talent is still there. Like, I thought Bennett left CA a long time ago too, but he's still there, same with Rantasmo. But yeah, their last remaining big names beyond that are Brad, Linkara, FilmBrain, Nash, Hagan, Guru Larry, and Joe. Stuckmann and SFDebris both 1) came much later, and 2) came from already successful off-sites, so I have no idea why either of them are still on CA either.

More viewers is more viewers, and if your income is at all dependent on clicks, every little bit helps.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Does Rantasmo still make videos? I haven't seen anything from him in a long time aside from the occasional Dream Daddy stream.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

lornekates posted:

I can confirm Suede is leaving. Not that I have super-secret inside information, he said so in a public Patreon post. He's waiting to do that with somebody else. If that's not Todd, that's two more people leaving.

Oh, and let's not forget the "little people", as we call ourselves, that post in the blog section of the site. There's an exodus there too. Including the guy that's "featured blogger" on the front page, and has been for like a year, even though it was supposed to rotate every week, because of the incompetence/not giving a gently caress of the management. These people have been some of the most loyal CA fans for years, so that should tell you something about the effect this is having.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll be honest, I thought a lot of these people already moved on from CA a long time ago. The fact that we're just now learning they are/were still attached (while consuming their content from other sources) says a lot about how far the site's stature has fallen.

Really, CA's day of reckoning is a long time coming. Even during the site's peak we heard whispers and rumors about talent mistreatment, most of which was brushed off because they had the carrot of "exposure" dangling in front of talent, and people weren't too eager to rock the boat. I'm glad that facade is finally crumbling, because Michaud and the Walkers have been blatantly exploiting people for drat near a decade now, and it's about time they get some real comeuppance.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I finished another of my quasi-monthly book reviews, this time about Guy Gavriel Kay's historical fantasies (spoiler: they're bad).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 23, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Archer666 posted:

The fact that this guy is still alive is really surprising.

Cool response to a post about how his boss sexually harassed him.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

Cool response to a post about how his boss sexually harassed him.

I read that as referring to Ellis, but if not then um, yeah that's a real shitearse response.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I don't much like how the AAA games are right now but trading them for the freemium/mobile stuff (which is how this would likely go instead of an indie utopia) would be terrible.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 23, 2018

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Benne posted:

Really, CA's day of reckoning is a long time coming. Even during the site's peak we heard whispers and rumors about talent mistreatment, most of which was brushed off because they had the carrot of "exposure" dangling in front of talent, and people weren't too eager to rock the boat. I'm glad that facade is finally crumbling, because Michaud and the Walkers have been blatantly exploiting people for drat near a decade now, and it's about time they get some real comeuppance.

You also have to remember those early rumblings were from people like Lordkat and Thataussieguy who both were very bitter people so whatever statements they made was easy to assume was just sourgrapes over being let go.

*don't go supporting either as both are still assholes though*

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

I don't much like how the AAA games are right now but trading them for the freemium/mobile stuff (which is how this would likely go instead of an indie utopia) would be terrible.

We already have an indie utopia, though. Do like me and completely ignore AAA games. Just don't bother with them. Then what's the difference if they're overpriced, overproduced trainwrecks or microtransactioned freemium poo poo?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

One of the biggest names who still posts videos on there (Very exclusive hush hush source, rhymes with...um...Booboo Barry) gets, at the very best, 1,000 views off there these days. Essentially what a new video of his gets on YT in like a few mins when they're posted. Not even sure how involved the process is these days, I imagine for most it's like, habit.

I also thought Todd had left years ago which kinda goes to show dunnit? Lol.

I don't know why but my mind immediately translated that as Big Boy Barry from Games World.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We already have an indie utopia, though. Do like me and completely ignore AAA games. Just don't bother with them. Then what's the difference if they're overpriced, overproduced trainwrecks or microtransactioned freemium poo poo?

TBH, "we'd lose big AAA Blockbuster properties" has always been one of the weirdest attempted counterpoints to anti-capitalism or anti-exploitative practices I tend to see. Like, yes, I understand people like those things, and that's fine! I like some of those things too! But it's not like art would just shrivel up and die if there was no/less financial incentive to make super overproduced multi billion dollar franchises. Things would be different, sure, but not necessarily better or worse, just... different.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know that steam and the switch are helping indies a lot these days but I've heard a lot of people say we're also approaching peak indie since it's just becoming more and more difficult for any one game to break out and make more than a pittance in todays crowded market, so this might not last.

Still, thinking about it I actually mostly play indie stuff these days.

Also, like, sometimes I play things like Witcher 3, Prey 2017 and Nier Automata, and they are those few AAA games that kind of have to be AAA to work as well as they do while also not having all the other bad stuff most of the rest of that category of games have.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 23, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

bessantj posted:

I don't know why but my mind immediately translated that as Big Boy Barry from Games World.

tbf what's the difference

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

More viewers is more viewers, and if your income is at all dependent on clicks, every little bit helps.

Also again, dunno how involved the process is. Like, when I post my vids they automatically go on https://www.retrounlim.com description and everything, and I literally don't have to do a thing. Automation is good.

Of course, this is Channel Awesome we're talking about so I imagine it's still not only all completely manual, but it has to be published on the site by an ill lady who Mike has specifically hired to call up and scream at whenever someone finishes their draft.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

tbf what's the difference

Have you done a docco on Guru Larry?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Linkara said as much while dragging CA on one of those twitter threads. He said he’ll stay as long as they keep him, but he won’t hold back on telling the truth about how lovely they are.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Also, like, sometimes I play things like Witcher 3, Prey 2017 and Nier Automata, and they are those few AAA games that kind of have to be AAA to work as well as they do while also not having all the other bad stuff most of the rest of that category of games have.

By budget Witcher 3 and Nier Automata aren't AAA games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:yeah:

forza was the last non-indie series i cared about and 7 killed that relationship. the indie scene has problems too, like a difficulty in getting exposure and an over-reliance on unity without always being good enough programmers to overcome its limitations or inhetent bugs, but i've had so much more fun in recent years with games like terraria, ftl, undertale, and especially ESPECIALLY kerbal space program that those problems mean jack poo poo to me in the grand scheme of things when compared with the problems in the triple a space.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Terrible Opinions posted:

By budget Witcher 3 and Nier Automata aren't AAA games.

Witcher 3 cost 80M, which is in the same ballpark as the last two Mass Effect games. It's AAA.

Game budgets (especially for marketing) are pretty hard to find out though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given the stated sales expectations of them Ubisoft, EA, and Activision games would all be over 100 million dollars in terms of budget. Either that or publishers are hoping to more than triple their budget to be considered a "success".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star Wars The Old Republic cost $300 000 000 to make back in 2011. $80 000 000 is chump change.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Game budgets are a lot like Hollywood accounting IMO, it doesnt say nearly everything.
The Tomb Raider reboot failed to make enough money according to the studio, even though it made a lot of profit; just not enough to make up for losses elsewhere. Gamedevs just like Hollywood are filling holes with the gains from other products and playing fast and lose with things like success and failure.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

:yeah:

forza was the last non-indie series i cared about and 7 killed that relationship. the indie scene has problems too, like a difficulty in getting exposure and an over-reliance on unity without always being good enough programmers to overcome its limitations or inhetent bugs, but i've had so much more fun in recent years with games like terraria, ftl, undertale, and especially ESPECIALLY kerbal space program that those problems mean jack poo poo to me in the grand scheme of things when compared with the problems in the triple a space.

What games that have come out last year have you played?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Star Wars The Old Republic cost $300 000 000 to make back in 2011. $80 000 000 is chump change.
And it was one of the most expensive games of all time and not representative of the broader AAA market. LA Noire was released around the same time with a fraction of TOR's budget (around Witcher 3's) and it was still a big, expensive title.

It'd be like comparing a film's budget to one of the last few Pirates movies, which would lead you to the conclusion that a couple of MCU films and Wonder Woman weren't blockbusters.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

the indie scene has problems too, like a difficulty in getting exposure and an over-reliance on unity without always being good enough programmers to overcome its limitations or inhetent bugs, but i've had so much more fun in recent years with games like terraria, ftl, undertale, and especially ESPECIALLY kerbal space program that those problems mean jack poo poo to me in the grand scheme of things when compared with the problems in the triple a space.

There's really not a lot of good well-known engines for non-programmers, especially if you're starting with a small budget. Hopefully the Indie Utopia and the imminent decline of AAA publishing will lead to more options, or at least better-known options.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping that there are better platforms for Indie games to come out for than Steam, which is just a bloated wasteland due to Valve's aversion to doing actual goddamn work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm just glad that Game Devs are starting to rumble about unionizing which would would solve a lot of problems in this godawful industry.

• Locked thread