Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I switched from gunlance to the horn and...it’s awesome?? Except for the fact I’m asking for help on quests I normally do solo to maximise my songs but failing because a bunch of juiced up buffed assholes murder my capture investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I really don't hey why they didn't include tempered Jho. Seems like it would have been really easy to implement? But would have made everyone happy if they made him super hard. I guess they are saving him for an event quest.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Do you all generally find it quicker to farm non tempered elders solo or in groups? I was thinking multi might be a little quicker, or at least not so much slower that the fun factor outweighs the loss of time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sleng Teng posted:

Do you all generally find it quicker to farm non tempered elders solo or in groups? I was thinking multi might be a little quicker, or at least not so much slower that the fun factor outweighs the loss of time.

:same: but also tempered elders

So far I've still been doing everything solo despite getting PS+ (but hey at least I got Bloodborne :pram:) and now that I'm faced with needing dozens of gems or every type I'm dreading thinking about farming elders for hours. I guess I don't find any of them particularly hard anymore, but it still takes almost 15 minutes per hunt and I'd love to do them quicker and easier.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Your Computer posted:

:same: but also tempered elders

So far I've still been doing everything solo despite getting PS+ (but hey at least I got Bloodborne :pram:) and now that I'm faced with needing dozens of gems or every type I'm dreading thinking about farming elders for hours. I guess I don't find any of them particularly hard anymore, but it still takes almost 15 minutes per hunt and I'd love to do them quicker and easier.

Play with goons.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Sleng Teng posted:

I just play this game now because i think monster hunting in groups while trying out builds is fun, and the only difference is that it's a bit easier to cut off tails and break specific monster parts solo. Group up with people more, the higher up you get, the more competent everyone is.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is it possible for a monster to die while in Jho's mouth?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Six AM posted:

I just play this game now because i think monster hunting in groups while trying out builds is fun, and the only difference is that it's a bit easier to cut off tails and break specific monster parts solo. Group up with people more, the higher up you get, the more competent everyone is.

True, I also only just need a billion gems so parts breaking is less important than silver and gold slots

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Playing solo is usually quicker, and easily more consistent. Multiplayer you may find a group which murders everything in three minutes or it takes thirteen.

I've been playing a lot of HH and status HBG. Trying to see how smooth I can make multiplayer hunts with random people is fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Play with goons.

Oh yeah good point.

What's the process in World anyway? Is there still hub ID's and passwords and stuff? So far I've only used the SOS system and even then I only used it like once or twice :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So what are some alternate ways of capturing monsters? I swear every guide I've seen is written by the same person as it contains a line similar to "there are many ways to capture monsters but we're going to focus on shock traps and tranqs." So what are the other ways? I'm guessing Grimalkynes can maybe help if you ride monsters near them (never done it) but are there other trap types that work?

Also how does the tranq status work? I've trapped limping monsters and hit them with tranqs to have it not take only for them to get free, fight some more, run, and then hit some other trap minutes later and be instantly captured.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Jojo was a lot of fun, just beat him once so far but he pulled out all the stops. Smacked me in the face for having the audacity to pitfall trap him, mauled me half to death and flung me in a pool of acid to die, flung around Odie like a ragdoll and smacked me upside the head with him...

Best part was when it was starting to look like he'd leave the area before I could finish him off, the music of our other favorite hungry boy starts to swell and Juice divebombs the motherfucker...again, only to get throat slammed. But Juice dusted himself off and nuked the Pickle for 1k+ damage, after which all that was needed to finish him off was a Dragon Pod from me. It was like Godzilla meets professional wrestling and it was magnificent.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I'm feeling really tempted to start a new save. Maybe go from the beginning focusing on weapons that I've never really gotten into before; SNS, HH, lance. That'll probably give me a better idea of how good the Deviljho experience is when it's actually integrated with story progression instead of completely bypassed at endgame.

That's kind of the nice part about World having less content, I guess. It doesn't feel nearly so overwhelming to consider starting all over again. Plus, character creator is so good that I actually wanna play around with it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anecdotal, but I figured I'd finish the limited bounties so I kept poking the jagras instead of jho. After he ran away he to sleep, he died in 1 hit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah good point.

What's the process in World anyway? Is there still hub ID's and passwords and stuff? So far I've only used the SOS system and even then I only used it like once or twice :v:

Get on Discord, join some squads. When you start the game, join on you're squad's session and party chat. Go have fun smashing.

That's how it works for us, at least.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Argas posted:

Again, they should've introduced Deviljho with a Qurupeco hunt. It's basically a meme that if Qurupeco calls for aid and Deviljho answers, Qurupeco is going to bite it.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

I have a jho and great jagras investigation i'm using for jho gems, and he has killed the jagras a couple of times using him as a weapon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of investigations, is there a writeup on how exactly they work yet?

Clearly they're not tied to the actual tracks you pick up, but are they tied specifically to the zone? If so, how do Jho tracks work? Is there a weighting towards the monster you picked the tracks up from? It just feels so random and confusing, I could've sworn I've picked up tempered Nergigante tracks and gotten regular Paolumu investigations :iiam:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Yodzilla posted:

So what are some alternate ways of capturing monsters? I swear every guide I've seen is written by the same person as it contains a line similar to "there are many ways to capture monsters but we're going to focus on shock traps and tranqs." So what are the other ways? I'm guessing Grimalkynes can maybe help if you ride monsters near them (never done it) but are there other trap types that work?

Also how does the tranq status work? I've trapped limping monsters and hit them with tranqs to have it not take only for them to get free, fight some more, run, and then hit some other trap minutes later and be instantly captured.

Tranq is a status that builds up like any other status effect. Two tranq bombs will generally fill the meter. But, as with all status effects, if it wears off and you need to apply it again it may take more to build it up enough to be trappable.

To trap a monster requires three things-

The monster HPs must be below a certain threshold. They will regen while they sleep. So if you damage a monster just enough for it to limp off then decide to go pick some flowers for a while before going to trap it the monster may have regend above the trappable threshold. You can tell if a monster is trappable by a skull icon by their minimap icon if you have leveled your scout flies enough.

They need to be fully tranq'ed. There is no indication if a monster is fully tranqed.

The monster needs to be in a trap. It does not matter what trap though, shock traps, pit traps, cat traps, and environmental traps all work. Shock traps set up the fastest and nothing trappable is immune to them (Toby might be if he's enraged?), so people use them the most.

It doesn't matter what order in which these requirements are fulfilled, but the easiest way is to wait for the health to be low enough, then get it trapped, then tranq it.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 23, 2018

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Lexorin posted:

Tranq is a status that builds up like any other status effect. Two tranq bombs will generally fill the meter. But, as with all status effects, if it wears off and you need to apply it again it may take more to build it up enough to be trappable.

To trap a monster requires three things-

The monster HPs must be below a certain threshold. They will regen while they sleep. So if you damage a monster just enough for it to limp off then decide to go pick some flowers for a while before going to trap it the monster may have regend above the trappable threshold. You can tell if a monster is trappable by a skull icon by their minimap icon if you have leveled your scout flies enough.

They need to be fully tranq'ed. There is no indication if a monster is fully tranqed.

The monster needs to be in a trap. It does not matter what trap though, shock traps, pit traps, cat traps, and environmental traps all work. Shock traps set up the fastest and nothing trappable is immune to them (Toby might be if he's enraged?), so people use them the most.

It doesn't matter what order in which these requirements are fulfilled, but the easiest way is to wait for the health to be low enough, then get it trapped, then tranq it.

also, it's very rare but sometimes shock traps will just fail to work sometimes even when all three conditions are met. This seems to happen more often with bigger monsters, or if somehow the monster gets pushed off the trap. I think the game actually checks to see if they're in contact with the trap somehow, and if they're not it won't work.

But In like 200 hours I've only had that happen 3 times.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm convinced environmental traps don't work for capturing unless someone can show me footage of otherwise. I've tried it half a dozen times and seen other people try it too and it has never worked.

Makes them nice and immobile for you to put down a shock trap though :v:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think shock traps have DR on length, too, particularly crossed over with the shock trap from the palico tool. I seem to remember having a few mons break shock traps really fast before I could drop a second bomb and that being the only explanation.

Also, on the subject, I've become increasingly convinced the healing Palico tool is the actual best one. Random buffs can be handy and parts ... whatever you're going to get plenty of parts grinding for gems anyway. But every time I've set up a powerguard counter right behind a health bubble to heal myself and stay on DPS without having to break to heal up chip damage feels too good to pass up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Man, guard lance with the default level of guard feels pretty bad against Jho. Almost every attack causes the long knockback so you're stuck in recovery almost as long as he is. Even two levels in guard makes it feel a LOT better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I think shock traps have DR on length, too, particularly crossed over with the shock trap from the palico tool. I seem to remember having a few mons break shock traps really fast before I could drop a second bomb and that being the only explanation.

Also, on the subject, I've become increasingly convinced the healing Palico tool is the actual best one. Random buffs can be handy and parts ... whatever you're going to get plenty of parts grinding for gems anyway. But every time I've set up a powerguard counter right behind a health bubble to heal myself and stay on DPS without having to break to heal up chip damage feels too good to pass up.

They absolutely have diminishing returns, yeah.

As for the palico, I have the same experience. It was the best tool starting out since it provided a lot of extra healing and it's still incredibly good endgame because if you're playing decently it means you never have to stop and heal. Of course if you're playing perfectly and never getting hit then it's a waste, but if you just get hit once in a while then your cat will keep you topped off and you can focus on going ham :3:

e: as an addendum I'm pretty sure the healing gadget also allows the palico to spend more time attacking compared to the buff gadget (since the buff animations are very long and frequent), which means more status effects if your palico has a status weapon. I noticed it took noticeably longer for my palico to sleep Vaal Hazak, for example

AnonSpore posted:

Man, guard lance with the default level of guard feels pretty bad against Jho. Almost every attack causes the long knockback so you're stuck in recovery almost as long as he is. Even two levels in guard makes it feel a LOT better.
why guard stuff when you can powerguard and counter

honest question since I'm not sure if I've ever actually used the guard, I always just power counter everything)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 23, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Multi tempered monster hunts can be a lot of fun if you find a decent crew and makes me think they are the closest to the Good Olde Days of lobby based farming you'll get in World. With a decent crew, which is most of the time, you can figure out how to cooperate pretty well by the second monster or so. I don't want to chat or discord since I play at random intervals, sometimes not for days, and committing to a group is too much work. So this is a decent alternative.

Mushroomancer support HH builds are the poo poo, superb to have in your group. Had the same person show up in a couple multi tempered monster 1-cart hunts and they carried the team both times. Made it seem easy with the buffs and heals.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
If you have your kitty equipped with flashfly cage, and you want to cap, then use a pitfall trap instead. Or tranq before you shock trap. Because, yeah, with finishing returns your third shock trap will last like 3 seconds, and that includes your cats traps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rubellavator posted:

I'm sorry, I don't know what made him so good in the previous games, but he's really disappointing in this game after all the hype

Hypha posted:

He is a fun, honest fight without a gimmick or generally bad hit boxes. He is scary when you are just starting high rank, similar to Bezel. He would also show up constantly due to the way areas were segregated and Qurupeco batphoning him in. High rank was defined by him just being annoying and interrupting you. He never was really anything hard and they took out some of his more bullshit and powerful moves for World.

Jho has a nostalgia fun factor for veterans. Even at his strongest, he was always manageable. If you expected a challenge, I am sorry. Deviljho is no Rajang.

More like if you're in endgame min/max'd armor of course a basic high rank monster isn't gonna be a challenge. Like no poo poo, wait for tempered jho if you need that. Wtf.

Do you goons not understand game balance? If a basic jho was as strong as tempered elder dragons he'd just murder anybody who just reached high rank. Think about it.

Goons love to poopsock to max level and then complain things are too easy. Welcome to rpgs?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got a two-gold, Jho/Pukei Investigation last night. The first time I ran it, I got double Bird Wyvern Gems and then just went straight to bed.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

More like if you're in endgame min/max'd armor of course a basic high rank monster isn't gonna be a challenge. Like no poo poo, wait for tempered jho if you need that. Wtf.

Do you goons not understand game balance? If a basic jho was as strong as tempered elder dragons he'd just murder anybody who just reached high rank. Think about it.

Goons love to poopsock to max level and then complain things are too easy. Welcome to rpgs?

presumably a basic jho that strong wouldn't be fightable till you're farther into high rank

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Quote somebody that actually said those words you put in my mouth. He wasn't as cool as advertised, that's all I meant.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

v1ld posted:

Multi tempered monster hunts can be a lot of fun if you find a decent crew and makes me think they are the closest to the Good Olde Days of lobby based farming you'll get in World. With a decent crew, which is most of the time, you can figure out how to cooperate pretty well by the second monster or so. I don't want to chat or discord since I play at random intervals, sometimes not for days, and committing to a group is too much work. So this is a decent alternative.

Mushroomancer support HH builds are the poo poo, superb to have in your group. Had the same person show up in a couple multi tempered monster 1-cart hunts and they carried the team both times. Made it seem easy with the buffs and heals.

I ran a multi tempered SOS where I put both monsters to sleep and the entire group bombed them both times. I was shocked, that rarely happens. We killed each one in a couple of minutes.

And even more suprising, no one chose to disband and we all went back to base camp and people began to post new tempered quests. And we continued to wreck face for a few more quests before we all spammed emotes and stickers and disbanded.

I was honestly dumbfounded. And it really did remind me of how much better multiplayer lobbies used to be.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

v1ld posted:

We've done these where we paired off and split up to hunt stuff, just to make it more interesting. Was a lot of fun when you're chasing your target to the same area as the other team is already fighting, and not only can you warn them the monster is coming but you get to see them dunging and then doing awesome poo poo in the distance as you run there. We haven't quite gotten to the coordination level where we can lay traps and poo poo in advance, but who cares, it's a Fun and Good Time.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I like how Jho can still attack even if caught in a pit trap. Fighting the big pickle is fun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Computer posted:

I'm convinced environmental traps don't work for capturing unless someone can show me footage of otherwise. I've tried it half a dozen times and seen other people try it too and it has never worked.

Makes them nice and immobile for you to put down a shock trap though :v:

I've definitely trapped Tzatziki Sauce in the weird ground traps in Coral Highlands.

My question is how the heck you actually even trigger that ground trap area, it seems totally random.

smallmouth posted:

I like how Jho can still attack even if caught in a pit trap. Fighting the big pickle is fun.

So far my experience with Jho was finding him in Elder's Recess, stabbing him twice in the face with Royal Burst, and then him running away and screaming at some Vespoids until I carried on in my search for a Blast Beetle.

Moral of the story is that Jho is a big ol' pussy and I'm tougher than him and he's afraid of me.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Inspector_666 posted:

I've definitely trapped Tzatziki Sauce in the weird ground traps in Coral Highlands.

My question is how the heck you actually even trigger that ground trap area, it seems totally random.

If you trip a monster there, instead of falling over, it'll get trapped. I thiiiink this may also happen with flinching in general, but I know it happens with falling over.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
What the gently caress is "Loading Quest"? Why is the game loading a quest and then also loading the map, and then taking forever to load the HQ when you return? It is baffling that a game that has 5 maps and an HQ takes so incredibly long to load anything.

Crapcom?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Why you do this to me capcom.

Game director Yuya Tokuda confirmed at #GDC2018 Lagiacrus isn't coming to #MonsterHunterWorld, not even as DLC. However, it’s also been visually confirmed the sea-beast was prototyped for MHW and pulled.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kawabata posted:

What the gently caress is "Loading Quest"? Why is the game loading a quest and then also loading the map, and then taking forever to load the HQ when you return? It is baffling that a game that has 5 maps and an HQ takes so incredibly long to load anything.

Crapcom?

Wow video games are huge and have a lot of stuff that needs to be loaded and unloaded into memory, who knew.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

To be fair, it'd be hard to fit him on most maps. There are only 2 maps with water (if you count the mud), and of those two there's basically only 2 areas in each where Lagi will even physically fit in the zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Wow video games are huge and have a lot of stuff that needs to be loaded and unloaded into memory, who knew.

yes but it's almost like MH World loads twice as much for obscure reasons