Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Policenaut posted:

Cross Ange was cool enough that I almost want to watch the show to see what the animated version is like, but given what people say about it I figure that this game gave me the best possible version of it anyway. I'll still have that really cool theme song!
Honestly I think people exaggerate how different Cross Ange is compared to its adaptation in SRWV. The plots are largely identical until the epilogue scenes, and the only real major difference is that SRWV cuts down on the Doris Wishman-esque sexploitation elements (And its totally understandable if people aren't into that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Raxivace posted:

Honestly I think people exaggerate how different Cross Ange is compared to its adaptation in SRWV. The plots are largely identical until the epilogue scenes, and the only real major difference is that SRWV cuts down on the Doris Wishman-esque sexploitation elements (And its totally understandable if people aren't into that).

The worst part of Cross Ange is how heavily front loaded the show is of showing you haw hosed up their seemingly utopian society is in the most gross ways possible. I feel it has earned it's justification for existing if only for giving us Embryo who's mere presence materializes redemption arcs for even the worst of villains.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I really want an SRW with both Cross Ange and Area 88, because Arzenal and Area 88 are basically the same place, other than one being girls and one being boys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's some gags and moments in Cross Ange that I like that aren't in SRWV, but it also takes out a lot of the worst parts of Cross Ange, so.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Is there any actual reward in completing the Scenario Chart in X?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Policenaut posted:

Just finished SRW V.

This was a pretty fun game! I liked it way more then Moon Dwellers, which I dropped about halfway through because I was fed up with dealing with the translation and all of the weird niggling problems I have with the tag team system. I finished with full SR points, which is something I've never managed to do in an SRW game on my first time through before. There's always a scenario or two I flub (mostly on route splits) that I have to go back and fix but this time I just put my nose to the grindstone and figured it out.

I've never seen shows like Cross Ange or Mightgaine before so it was fresh and exciting to see these new robots with their cool tricks for the first time. Not having Macross Frontier around was a real breath of fresh air too, although I kind of missed Code Geass but whatever Lelouch is in the next game so that can wait. Cross Ange was cool enough that I almost want to watch the show to see what the animated version is like, but given what people say about it I figure that this game gave me the best possible version of it anyway. I'll still have that really cool theme song!

I went through it the first time with Soji just to see if he's really as bad as people say he is, and he just kind of comes across as half-baked? It felt like there should have been a moment when he "grew up" but he's still getting dunked on for the entire game by the cast. I'll NG+ with Chitose to finish the scenario chart in a little while to see what she's like, but Soji never really seemed to come into his own for me. I'd forgotten what it meant to say "fierce battles ahead" at the end of the game so I accidentally stumbled into that 30-robot Lv. 70 clusterfuck at the final scenario and just barely managed to survive even with the way this game hands you so many powerful tools. That's what I get I guess for wandering in with Lv. 50~ pilots?

Can't wait to play SRW X! Although I probably won't get it until the Winter, just playing through this game is like night and day compared to Moon Dwellers. The translation is lightyears ahead of it, like I'd notice the odd mispelling or syntax error but nothing really felt that out of place in it. You could probably polish a bit and sell it as a fully fledged Western product on the PSN if the licensing wasn't a mess.

Moon Dwellers being such a drag is really saddening. J was my favourite (for my money most of the J bits in the story are good but they didn't really try with anything else) and the OG rendition of Moon Knights is so good but the game is just like one long filler arc with terrible translation.

As for the mains of V it's weird cause it feels like I go to different internet communities that discuss the game and each one has a different view on the protagonists and their general presence one way or the other. I think they're both good but the major thing between them both is neither of them have big character arc moments that help them to "grow" because they're technically not the character that's supposed to have them, it's Nine. That can make them seem a bit flat. Their growths are more subtle and they act more like mentor figures even if they don't seem like it.

Ryoga posted:

The worst part of Cross Ange is how heavily front loaded the show is of showing you haw hosed up their seemingly utopian society is in the most gross ways possible. I feel it has earned it's justification for existing if only for giving us Embryo who's mere presence materializes redemption arcs for even the worst of villains.

I've been told a pretty good argument for the idea that Embryo is a shot at otaku audiences, particularly the ones that will watch a show just to talk about their "waifus" and their intolerable attitudes when things don't go down "audience fantasy lane" and things like the main heroine getting laid happen.

Endorph posted:

There's some gags and moments in Cross Ange that I like that aren't in SRWV, but it also takes out a lot of the worst parts of Cross Ange, so.

The interlude skit rendition of the "all night long" confrontation is hands down the funniest thing I've read in a SRW game.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I've been told a pretty good argument for the idea that Embryo is a shot at otaku audiences, particularly the ones that will watch a show just to talk about their "waifus" and their intolerable attitudes when things don't go down "audience fantasy lane" and things like the main heroine getting laid happen.

This is pretty much the vibe I got from him after a few episodes of his debut and his whole freakout at the end about how "his maiden is no longer pure" just cemented that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Embryo is, at minimum, absolutely evoking that sort of person even if he isn't necessarily a shot. He's sort of like Lezard Valeth from Valkyrie Profile in that way where he's terrible otaku traits grafted onto someone who is treating a real person that way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

embryo isnt just an otaku potshot, hes pretty clearly a potshot at 'feminist' types who don't actually care about women at all. his intro scene in the anime is him literally talking about how he shall create a world ruled by nothing but strong women, while two women in naked aprons feed him pancakes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

embryo isnt just an otaku potshot, hes pretty clearly a potshot at 'feminist' types who don't actually care about women at all. his intro scene in the anime is him literally talking about how he shall create a world ruled by nothing but strong women, while two women in naked aprons feed him pancakes

I feel this guy would be very good friends with Paptimus Scirocco, they seem to have very similar ideologies.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel this guy would be very good friends with Paptimus Scirocco, they seem to have very similar ideologies.

...See, now I want Scirocco, Glemmy and Embryo to team up, so we get a trifecta of "Everyone else is better by comparison", and that scares me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

And I feel like this jab is undercut by Tusk just like

existing at all

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

...See, now I want Scirocco, Glemmy and Embryo to team up, so we get a trifecta of "Everyone else is better by comparison", and that scares me.

I'm told Buddy Complex's main antagonist is pretty pathetic in his own right so that should be amusing.

Blockhouse posted:

existing at all

Tusk I think is meant to be two things. First is a vehicle to upset the people who think like Embryo in some way by being just about everything they could hate to the point Embryo thinks that Tusk is the one he has to fight and utterly fails to realise Ange's strength (therefore reinforcing the mockery). The second is sort of to show that even out of love you can unwittingly be trying to force someone to be something they're not. He talks about being her "knight" and stuff like that, but really Ange wants to be firmly in control of her own destiny so it never really sits quite right (especially for the viewer), but he cares enough about her that she gets her way in the end.

Cause in the end I think that's what Cross Ange is really all about isn't it? It's about Ange trying to find herself amidst a bunch of systems and people that are trying to reduce her to what they think she should be for their own convenience, and upon learning who she really is (not a nice person) Ange fights to stay true to herself in order to truly live.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/975768817354752002

Aww, they had to issue a statement before the pitchfork mob burns down Bamco's HQ.

(Don't remember the last time I did the X-O series debut updates, but recently there was Sakura Wars 2 / 3 in quick succession, Index Virtual-On and in a more "will probably get into mainline one day but showed up here first" regards, Mazinger Infinity.

So yeah, I can see why the Japanese are grumbling about Mobage favouritism.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

existing at all

Tusk is fine honestly. Like the gags with him falling into her boobs are dumb but also tusk is like, legitimately, a total supporting character to Ange. Embryo is the one who sees him as the real hero of the story, not the writing itself and not Ange or Tusk.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
https://imgur.com/a/CjFkG

Ah, I see Chitose fell into Byston Well La Gias Al Warth

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Famitsu gave X a 33, basically the same as every other SRW game. They're pretty useless these days but double useless when it comes to long series since all the games in them typically get about the same score, with no clue about whether the latest game is better or worse than its predecessors.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

As for the mains of V it's weird cause it feels like I go to different internet communities that discuss the game and each one has a different view on the protagonists and their general presence one way or the other. I think they're both good but the major thing between them both is neither of them have big character arc moments that help them to "grow" because they're technically not the character that's supposed to have them, it's Nine. That can make them seem a bit flat. Their growths are more subtle and they act more like mentor figures even if they don't seem like it.

That's an interesting take on it. With that in mind I almost would have wanted Nine to be the protagonist!

I'm about 15 scenarios into my Chitose run and she seems like a far more agreeable, friendlier person to be around. I like her song more too!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I liked how when Nine asked Chitose stuff, Chitose would have to basically figure it out as she went along. It made it feel like they were both growing up together.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Samurai Sanders posted:

Famitsu gave X a 33, basically the same as every other SRW game. They're pretty useless these days but double useless when it comes to long series since all the games in them typically get about the same score, with no clue about whether the latest game is better or worse than its predecessors.

To be honest, I'm not surprised by this at all. From an outsider's perspective, SRW games are effectively stagnant and completely interchangeable outside of what series they include. They don't really make any major adjustments with the core gameplay at all basically ever; the only thing that really changes is minutiae like whether we're using squads or partners or solo units or if there's pilot points or TacP or whatever, which matters a lot to people who play SRW games religiously but doesn't really change anything for people who either play them casually or are just entering the series.

My first SRW game was the SRW 3 English patch, from which I transitioned to the SRW R menu patch and then to fully Japanese Alpha 2 and I was easily able to adjust to each game because they broadly have the same gameplay and mechanics.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 20, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"Matters a lot" is a strong phrase even for people who are SRW regulars. Stuff like TacP and Dogmas are curiosities at best. Most people are in it for the animations and a small minority for the crossovers (doubly so in the West).

Hell, we've got die-hards in here who won't look up unless it's NEO or bust.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

Aww, they had to issue a statement before the pitchfork mob burns down Bamco's HQ.

The article that tweet linked to was a larger roundtable discussion between the people involved in SRW, Cross Omega, and Virtual-On. I thought it was interesting, so I did a rough translation here.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hokuto posted:

The article that tweet linked to was a larger roundtable discussion between the people involved in SRW, Cross Omega, and Virtual-On. I thought it was interesting, so I did a rough translation here.

Thanks for that! I like that comment at the end about how X is going to be an eccentric entity in the series. I'm looking forwards to seeing what that means.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Don't suppose you're interested in doing the Sakura Wars related one?

https://app.famitsu.com/20180316_1258267/

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

Don't suppose you're interested in doing the Sakura Wars related one?

https://app.famitsu.com/20180316_1258267/

AM I?!

Hell yeah! Got any others?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hokuto posted:

Hell yeah, another Hokuto special! Some interesting stuff in there.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Hokuto posted:

Hell yeah! Got any others?
I think the only thing I can think of right now is when the Mega Man collab was announced, but I seem to have lost the link so...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Thanks for that! I like that comment at the end about how X is going to be an eccentric entity in the series. I'm looking forwards to seeing what that means.
Not mechanically though it seems. I wonder if the flow of stages is different in any way, or if it’s really just V again but with a coat of fantasy paint?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Hokuto posted:

Thank you! This was really cool to read.

Terada posted:

As an aside, the SRX's successor, the Banpreios, has power-up parts for unit 1 as well. We've never publicized the particulars of that, though.

God, I want to know more about the AR-series so much. Stop teasing me, Terada!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Next OG game we get to see the individual bits and use them and it will be good or I will write a strongly worded letter to Terada.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Sakura Wars/SRW X-Ω interview wasn't anywhere near as long, so I got it done in one night.

Here you go!

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think the most shocking revelation for me is that the Sakura Wars producer likes Mikono

quote:

Also, I served as senior director for Valkyria Chronicles 4, which is out in stores March 21, 2018! It's got a ton of super-rad battleships and tanks too, so here's hoping it makes it into Super Robot Wars! (laughs)
I would slay for this.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not mechanically though it seems. I wonder if the flow of stages is different in any way, or if it’s really just V again but with a coat of fantasy paint?
If you're really optimistic, maybe the addition of a different Expert Mode (compared to the old Ex-Hard handling) means they're interested in experimenting with "interesting" difficulty as opposed to "stupid" difficulty that plague the more infamous SRW games, in the same way that Fire Emblem Awakening moving to Fates has at least 1 portion of the game dedicated towards that audience.

Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

I think the most shocking revelation for me is that the Sakura Wars producer likes Mikono

It was such a shock that the interviewer actually had to ask WHY? That was my favorite part. Even Terada was taken off-guard by it.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
He certainly has her pegged when he brings up her wishy washy personality.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, he clearly understands her character, which makes it even weirder, why would you like Mikono? Even as someone who liked Evol, that's really weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like mikono. her wishy-washyness and pettiness is relatable as things she has to work to overcome.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Who wouldn't like someone who is wishy-washy and unable to decide anything on their own?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

i like mikono. her wishy-washyness and pettiness is relatable as things she has to work to overcome.

She doesn't really overcome them though. Like she stands up to her brother once but then for most of the back half of the show she's wandering around getting exposited at by original Aquarion characters while Amata and Kagura are beating each other up over who's worthy to have her. Her big dramatic climax is choosing to own Celiane's mistakes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hellioning posted:

Who wouldn't like someone who is wishy-washy and unable to decide anything on their own?

If I wanted to watch someone like that, I'd look in a mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
Mikono is also my favorite female EVOL character and my first ace in Z3.

• Locked thread