Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's time for another round oooooof D&D with neural networks!

I'm partial to Rain Golem.

Also, is "Giant, Dunebat" just an errant comma in "Giant Dunebat" or is it actually a giant made up of elemental dunebat* the same way there are storm and fire giants?

a brooch, cunningly fashioned from purest green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm a fukken Kick Spirit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's a giant who thinks Frank Herbert's ideas about sex were ingenious, and follows Lyndon LaRouche and stuff.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Desert Beeple were actually in the D&D game I ran. Astro-fish sounds very :catdrugs:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Call me simple and old fashioned, but I love Vampire Bear.

Just think about it.

Yeah you try and stake a loving bear nope I’m out. It’s a bear with super strength and extra bloodthirst!

I’ll take the Tarrasque instead, thanks.

Serf
May 5, 2011

greater mommy is amazing

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Purple Bird" was actually a random encounter in an old Super Nintendo JRPG called Paladin's Quest.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm the Chromatic Wolf.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Legit want to play an Owlborn.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I call Spectral Woof Greepy

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Kai Tave posted:

"Purple Bird" was actually a random encounter in an old Super Nintendo JRPG called Paladin's Quest.

What's next, green slime?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dwarf74 posted:

I call Spectral Woof Greepy

I was gonna go for Pigaloth but then I saw "Jabberwon't"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Pigaloth is honestly really good, like something out of Darkest Dungeon.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I’m partial to Kurt.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

slap me and kiss me posted:

What's next, green slime?

Purple Wolfworm.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ready Player One was/is trash (maybe the movie will be really cool but lol it won't) but it made me kind of want an actual narrative description of some of the old school AD&D style adventures. The only thing I can really think of that's even close is the second Drizz't book, where he's just aimlessly wandering the Underdark and gets captured by Illithids and runs into an evil wizard's experiments and stuff. Just trying to weave an actual coherent narrative out of an adventuring party trying to tackle the Tomb of Horrors or something would be great.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Burglestar is one of those ancient eldritch cosmic horrors that warlocks are so fond of, except some player got hold of homebrew race stats for it and persuaded their DM to let them play one as a rogue.

e: it's got a little mask and black-and-white striped shirt and everything

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Okay so between the black pudding, razor boar, Egg of Coot, and shrieker, you've got enough for a full English breakfast. Except beans. Are there some evil beans? Evil potatoes? Evil herring maybe?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Now we just need a computer to design these creatures like that Google Inceptionism thing.

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/google-deepdream-robot-10-weirdest-images-produced-by-ai-inceptionism-users-online-1509518

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey goons!

I am looking for another roleplaying system that would let me run a kind of modern NATO military role playing game but with rules that would allow me to keep it simple like Savage Worlds. Thank you

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

Hey goons!

I am looking for another roleplaying system that would let me run a kind of modern NATO military role playing game but with rules that would allow me to keep it simple like Savage Worlds. Thank you

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181/risk

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dibs on Hatfright!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay so between the black pudding, razor boar, Egg of Coot, and shrieker, you've got enough for a full English breakfast. Except beans. Are there some evil beans? Evil potatoes? Evil herring maybe?

The closest I can think of off the top of my head are the mini-onions of Set. (Originally a typo of 'minions', later made into an actual magic item.)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up, talking about Class Dice

Not that I can necessarily say this is what sets TNP apart from other games (in the article I mention the mechanic being applied in Dungeon World and 13th Age (sorta)) but I think that the idea of start with a die and building a class from it is kind of unique -- a lot of times, it's done the other way around.

Feel free to quote me here, if you have any comments or feedback. Or, post on the comment section of the blog itself, or jump in the TNP Discord to discuss even further!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Great Space Pat is mostly theoretical since Roast Beef stole his rocket to go write code on the moon. Also because Pat is an rear end in a top hat.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Herr Tog posted:

Hey goons!

You could probably hack Delta Green to do that, or run it straight if you're cool with Lovecraft Mythos stuff. Depending on how simple and how much work you want to do, there's a half-finished WW2 Apocalypse World hack by John Harper called The Regiment that might work, too. It has one modern unit as a playbook you could use as a reference to build other modern characters on, plus Aliens-style playbooks. There's also PATROL, which is is Vietnam-era, but wouldn't be much work to update either.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Halloween Jack posted:

Monte Cook's game had Beaners...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Giant Dwarf" :thunk:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm Memeball.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Herr Tog posted:

Hey goons!

You might want to check out Night's Black Agents, which has extensive gunplay/gunfight rules, but are all based around rolling d6's and spending points. There's a sort of grim, attritional nature to the game when played out of the box, but you could up the stakes by giving players more points, or providing point refreshes per-scene rather than based on rest periods.

I'm also going to second Nun's recommendation of Delta Green, which has similarly extensive gunfight rules, though framed around percentile rolls.

Alternatively, you could look for Twilight 2000, which is an RPG-cum-wargame set around American military forces "left behind" in Poland after the balloon went up on WW3.

There's also Tactical Waifu, which is a Lasers-and-Feelings hack of Spec Ops teams crossed-over with anime.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's those guys from the intro of Neverwinter Nights 2 that all immediately cast Enlarge Person on themselves.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's just a dwarf that's the size a dwarf would be relative to a giant if a giant were a human being, it's not that complicated.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"'Human'. Feh. Everybody knows they're just Giant Dwarves!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Belatedly, I've been playing Lancer and it still feels kind of extremely incomplete on the stuff-that-doesn't-involve-giant-robot front, and also feels kind of.... fragile? for lack of a better term on the combat front.

This is an improvement from earlier versions, where the key to victory was to make a mech that ignored things like 'communications' and 'life support' in favor of menacing with spikes of guns.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Leraika posted:

it still feels kind of extremely incomplete on the stuff-that-doesn't-involve-giant-robot front

1.6 should have a large setting infodump included, so that should help. I wouldn't expect the non-mech stuff to get fleshed out mechanics-wise, though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

1.6 should have a large setting infodump included, so that should help. I wouldn't expect the non-mech stuff to get fleshed out mechanics-wise, though.

The mechanics half of the writing team has said that one of the things he wants to do is add some more stuff that supports pilot-focused play outside of mechs, but that's further down on the to-do list compared to other things at the moment.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I can't trust anything you post anymore.

Nuns with Guns posted:

You could probably hack Delta Green to do that, or run it straight if you're cool with Lovecraft Mythos stuff. Depending on how simple and how much work you want to do, there's a half-finished WW2 Apocalypse World hack by John Harper called The Regiment that might work, too. It has one modern unit as a playbook you could use as a reference to build other modern characters on, plus Aliens-style playbooks. There's also PATROL, which is is Vietnam-era, but wouldn't be much work to update either.

That's another recommendation for me to look at Delta Green so I guess I have to now.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You might want to check out Night's Black Agents, which has extensive gunplay/gunfight rules, but are all based around rolling d6's and spending points. There's a sort of grim, attritional nature to the game when played out of the box, but you could up the stakes by giving players more points, or providing point refreshes per-scene rather than based on rest periods.

I'm also going to second Nun's recommendation of Delta Green, which has similarly extensive gunfight rules, though framed around percentile rolls.

Alternatively, you could look for Twilight 2000, which is an RPG-cum-wargame set around American military forces "left behind" in Poland after the balloon went up on WW3.

There's also Tactical Waifu, which is a Lasers-and-Feelings hack of Spec Ops teams crossed-over with anime.

Third for Delta green, so thank you. Twilight 200 sounds like a fun as hell thing. Thank you for this effort post. Tactical Waifu may need to be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is Eclipse Phase 2nd Edition out yet?

Is the preview material any good?

Edit: Definitely isn't out yet as the Mesh chapter has just been added to playtest.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 25, 2018