Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Endless Mike posted:

marginally less racist part of the country anyway?

Rhyno posted:

We may end up in North or South Carolina in 2 years or so.

These statements are conflicting. Source - parents in North Carolina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I've heard good and bad. It's still very possible that we will end up just outside of Charlotte at some point.

As for work, I have a pretty good in at a local maket of medical grade wire for twice what i made at the shop so that would be my first choice. I think I'm done with retail for a while.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I am mildly disappointed you weren't let go for giving a perv/creep a cradle piledriver

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my man, something i look forward to so much is putting the creeps on public blast when i see them in public.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I didn't really agree with the direction the store was taking since we rebranded and i was clashing with one of the owners too frequently. I was initially let go, then asked to come back so I did a few days and realized I no longer wanted to work there. So it really worked out for the best, I'm actually enjoying comics again for the first time in years. It's so good to just be a fan again.

Do you mind if I ask the direction you disagreed with? I'm pretty lucky to be surrounded by nice comic shops, and I just wish I collected more stuff to throw more business their way. But a lot of them constantly host gaming events, stock more Funko Pops and tchotchkes than actual comics, and have downsized back issues, TPBs, and action figures -- the three things I usually care about in a comic shop.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

have 7 interviews lined up for when we get home this week so i won't be out long.

drat, good for you, dude

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

drat, good for you, dude

If I have one skill it's that I am very employable. In my time at the shop several comic shops in multiple states offered me jobs. A few of them are just formalities at this point, if I want to work retail I can start as soon as I get home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Do you mind if I ask the direction you disagreed with? I'm pretty lucky to be surrounded by nice comic shops, and I just wish I collected more stuff to throw more business their way. But a lot of them constantly host gaming events, stock more Funko Pops and tchotchkes than actual comics, and have downsized back issues, TPBs, and action figures -- the three things I usually care about in a comic shop.

It was a few things but some I don't really want to air it out right now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Fair enough! I wish you the best on all your upcoming interviews and hope you land on your feet ASAP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay some stuff that isn't really inflammatory.

Funko Pop Vinyls. I despise them. But the store went all in on them, even to the point where we set up a direct account so we could get the big money chase variants. This irked local buyers and we started getting negative reviews from people over them. I was tasked with dealing with this and as I had no solution other than "stop jacking the prices" it became more of a headache than it was worth.

For the bulk of my time there i was handling all the comic stuff, orders, sorting, new and old stock etc. And i kept getting more and more stuff dropped in my lap with the empty promise of "we'll hire some extra help" which didn't happen until july of 2017.

14 months ago i went through hell and while the owners were supportive of my need for some personal time, it never felt genuine.

I left on good terms though and one of the owners performed my wedding and i expect we will remain friends in the long term.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My shop doesn't carry funkos because there's not much profit in them unless you jack up the prices.

Gonna get my fill of selling funkos if I start doing cons for GalacticToys. I miss tabling at cons, it's always a good time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I may run a booth for the store this fall. One thing i will always love is the con atmosphere. I'll see if i can find the store i built out of grid a few years back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Our local shop have funkos but they make up a small portion, dunno if it's just prescience on the owner's part or they just aren't that popular.

Our EB games otoh, is like 50% those things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The store went from having about 100 to over 1000. And the overstock took over a significant portion of the stockroom. It was out of control and that market is very clearly dying as a lot of major retailers are dumping their inventory quickly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The store went from having about 100 to over 1000. And the overstock took over a significant portion of the stockroom. It was out of control and that market is very clearly dying as a lot of major retailers are dumping their inventory quickly.

I genuinely don't see the appeal of most of them. I bought the Saga set because I freaking love the book and there's not a lot of merchandise out there, and I've grabbed a few others that aren't horrifically misshapen, but for the most part I don't see the appeal of a bobblehead that doesn't bobble.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't get it either but hey, it's not my concern anymore. It will be sad if the store starts to falter because the other shop in town is really terrible ( I worked for them in high school) and they are kind of open with their racism and general dislike for anyone not white.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Speaking of Saga pops. There's supposed to be a bloody lying cat available on Free Comic Book Day.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Medullah posted:

I genuinely don't see the appeal of most of them. I bought the Saga set because I freaking love the book and there's not a lot of merchandise out there, and I've grabbed a few others that aren't horrifically misshapen, but for the most part I don't see the appeal of a bobblehead that doesn't bobble.

That's all you need to know about why Funkos are/were popular, once they started going hyper mainstream, they started dying.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i'm looking at off loading at least half my pops during the convention I work at, as we have a friday night swap meet for attendees. Going to keep like Geralt and Captain Marvel, but all my GoT and most of my DC and video game ones are going to get sold off. Though even though the fad is kinda dying Tywin Lannister and GL Movie Sinestro are worth a bunch, out of what i have.

And yea, I got a bunch because either they were cheaper than the action figure (Black Series Jyn Erso was $40 and the pop was $15) or there was nothing for that franchise or character (there wasn't a Marvel Legends Captain Marvel out yet, and a lot of my friends have got Steven Universe ones because that's the only merch you can really get). Though Ashens made a good point in one of his lootbox videos that even if its the only merch for something you like, that doesn't make it good. Though I actually like their stylized looks.

I worked at my LCS when the Pop mania was at its peak and you literally spent most of your day restocking and reoganizing the shelves because so many people where buying them. Got me extra shours as I'd be called in just to fix it up for a few hours.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I really want the Zur En Arrh Batman pop, but it's way too expensive for my blood. Same for Daniel Bryan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife has a bunch of Pops and I did buy her a 20th Buffy Pop while we were on our honeymoon. I have a Superman somewhere because it came in a crushed box and Diamond told us to dispose of it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

My wife has a bunch of Pops and I did buy her a 20th Buffy Pop while we were on our honeymoon. I have a Superman somewhere because it came in a crushed box and Diamond told us to dispose of it.

I have a Deadpool, a kamahla khan ms Marvel, a gwenpool unmasked, and a superior Spider-Man pop. The Deadpool was on a big sale at GameStop, and the other three were on a sale at Walgreens that I bought with walgreen’s scrip.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I only have Disney Duck Pops, but just because of my Disney Duck collection.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I've been trying to find a Gizmoduck for my friend.

Another friend has over twenty different Wonder Woman's, including the invisible jet I got her. Star Sapphire WW, and the Raven imposter are like the only major ones left.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If my friend who works at FYE is to be believed, the company is cutting their in store POP inventory by half by spring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

If my friend who works at FYE is to be believed, the company is cutting their in store POP inventory by half by spring.

I was reading an article in Bloomberg or BI maybe a month or two ago that said Funko is badly over-extended because of licensing fees and is going to see a significant scale-back in 2018.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I was reading an article in Bloomberg or BI maybe a month or two ago that said Funko is badly over-extended because of licensing fees and is going to see a significant scale-back in 2018.

They announced like 2000 new Pops just a few months ago. They're about to fall off a cliff.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

twistedmentat posted:

and a lot of my friends have got Steven Universe ones because that's the only merch you can really get).

There are some Mcfarlane fake lego things of the SU cast, I kind of want the Van, but it's basically a sticker with some Legos under it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

There are some Mcfarlane fake lego things of the SU cast, I kind of want the Van, but it's basically a sticker with some Legos under it.

Those things are junk and the price point is insulting. We opened a Rick & Morty set for display and there were a bunch of essential pieces missing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My only Pop is Bob Ross and even that made me feel dirty purchasing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There are Ayn Rand pops now. I want to get one just to set it on fire.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

There are Ayn Rand pops now. I want to get one just to set it on fire.

The pic going around was a custom.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think it would be perfectly ironic if the John Galt Pop figure was the one that finally broke that bubble.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm really mad that the weird al pop is coming out after i see him in concert next month.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

Those things are junk and the price point is insulting. We opened a Rick & Morty set for display and there were a bunch of essential pieces missing.

I was just saying there were alternatives to Funkos.

I picked up the Governor's room with the light up head cases, and it was pretty dire. Kind of magical that the Governor can't sit on his chair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw the new Mighty Muggs the other day. You press down on their head and the face changes. I wasn't impressed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

The pic going around was a custom.

That makes me happy. I kind of wish I had not sworn of pops because i want that Lying Cat.

Honestly, I think 1 Legends or Black Series or Icon over 2 pops is probably better. I love the Gwenpool one that just came out. Though is there a secondary market for the build a figure parts? I have to assume there is, as there's a secondary market for like everything.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For the last two weeks Marvel have been selling collections on Comixology for .99c on the day of release.
example: https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Recent-Collections-Sale/page/17867

Has anyone been seeing store owners starting to get super pissed at this?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 23, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, in the time since I have been out of the shop I have 100% stopped caring about the continued existence of single issues and my digital collection is 100 times the size it was in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Man, in the time since I have been out of the shop I have 100% stopped caring about the continued existence of single issues and my digital collection is 100 times the size it was in January.

I've been leaning this way myself.

• Locked thread