Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My wife and I adopted a kitten a few months ago from a cat rescue in the area. He was having some eye issues so we took him into the vet - turns out he had chlamydia in his eyes, and for good measure had a ringworm infection as well. We spent a month giving him medication three times a day (woke up extra early and stayed up late to do it) and kept him in isolation the whole time because he had an existing 8 year old cat who we wanted to keep healthy. Somehow made it through a month of shoving medication down this little guy's throat - after 30 days he was happy and healthy and we started introducing him to the house. A week into letting him out while we were home we started keeping him out at night, and then on to being out full time. We dealt with the hissing, and the swatting, and eventually things got calmer, and our adult cat started tolerating him, and we started becoming a family.

Until this week, when our new little guy's stomach swelled up. We brought him into the vet today and they're about 90% sure he has wet FIP, which means he's probably dead soon and oh by the way your adult cat might be too. So now we've spent over a thousand dollars and a month of our lives nursing this little guy back to health just to find out he's about to die anyway and might take our adult cat with him. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

taqueso posted:

Fred the Cat chilling:

This here is a majestic, glorious cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So now we've spent over a thousand dollars and a month of our lives nursing this little guy back to health just to find out he's about to die anyway and might take our adult cat with him. gently caress.

I'm really sorry about this. Uhm, the rescue needs a stern talking to and probably be informed that they had a fip cat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My wife and I adopted a kitten a few months ago from a cat rescue in the area. He was having some eye issues so we took him into the vet - turns out he had chlamydia in his eyes, and for good measure had a ringworm infection as well. We spent a month giving him medication three times a day (woke up extra early and stayed up late to do it) and kept him in isolation the whole time because he had an existing 8 year old cat who we wanted to keep healthy. Somehow made it through a month of shoving medication down this little guy's throat - after 30 days he was happy and healthy and we started introducing him to the house. A week into letting him out while we were home we started keeping him out at night, and then on to being out full time. We dealt with the hissing, and the swatting, and eventually things got calmer, and our adult cat started tolerating him, and we started becoming a family.

Until this week, when our new little guy's stomach swelled up. We brought him into the vet today and they're about 90% sure he has wet FIP, which means he's probably dead soon and oh by the way your adult cat might be too. So now we've spent over a thousand dollars and a month of our lives nursing this little guy back to health just to find out he's about to die anyway and might take our adult cat with him. gently caress.

I am so sorry :( I hope at least your older cat is okay. You are such good people for taking in and caring for the little one ;;

maikzor
Feb 26, 2011

My cat has started incessantly digging at her water bowl. Like, she'll go to it, dig for a minute or two, and then just leave without even drinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ehCANBxgYk

The water is always kept reasonably fresh, and I put out another bowl elsewhere in the appartment, but she just dug at it as well. This started a couple of days ago, she's always been a bit "diggy" but not like this. I'm pretty sure she's still drinking however, though maybe not as often as I'd like.

What's wrong with my stupid cat?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the advice, I will try out your suggestions and report back :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

maikzor posted:

My cat has started incessantly digging at her water bowl. Like, she'll go to it, dig for a minute or two, and then just leave without even drinking.

The water is always kept reasonably fresh, and I put out another bowl elsewhere in the appartment, but she just dug at it as well. This started a couple of days ago, she's always been a bit "diggy" but not like this. I'm pretty sure she's still drinking however, though maybe not as often as I'd like.

Is it just the one metal bowl or does she dig at all sorts of water bowls?

Whys it high up?

maikzor
Feb 26, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is it just the one metal bowl or does she dig at all sorts of water bowls?

Whys it high up?

I don't have any other bowls to test out so I can't say.

To simulate it being "upstream" from her food, which is on the floor. She's never had issues with it before.

e: She just had a big ol' drink, without digging at all, so I'm not too worried it's a health thing. It's just annoying.

maikzor fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 23, 2018

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

One of my cats likes to dig under water bowls sometimes. This was a problem for a while when I got a nice big water fountain that holds like a litre and a half of water and he'd knock it over all over the carpet, but he stopped eventually. No idea why. Cats, man.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Ridgewell posted:

Thank you all. I will take him to the vet in the morning.

Update on Sia: The vet diagnosed some gingivitis (not severe, but noticeable) on his molars, with a possible (minor) digestive tract problem. In addition, the vet noticed that his flea collar was a bit too tight (my fault! 😕) and took it off. He gave him a shot of an antibiotic as well as an appetite booster. By the evening, Sia had eaten a can of wet food and almost all of the dry food he had available (a much bigger portion that would be his usual daily dose). He was also noticeably more energetic.

Today in the morning he again showed hardly any appetite and ate only very little. He was, however, still a lot more energetic than yesterday morning. Unless he is eating well again tonight, I will take him to the vet again tomorrow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taking Jasmine to the vet tomorrow to see if we can get to the bottom of her over-grooming. Her belly is quite bare now, and she's started to wear away the fur on her back legs and now one of her front legs, too. We found a scab on her front leg where she was apparently licking, so I'm worried she's starting to over-groom so much that she's breaking skin. :ohdear:

That said, I really have no idea how to isolate what's causing it. We've moved apartments twice with her and she never did this before, and it took several months in our current apartment before she started doing it here, so I don't think she's allergic to something in the apartment. At the same time, our new apartment doesn't get any direct sunlight so maybe her inability to bask in the sun, combined with us being gone at work all day, is stressing her out.

There's one other behavior I noticed and I'm curious if it's a sign of something that any of you have seen before:

I noticed her going into the litter box a couple times yesterday, digging into the litter a bit (normal), and then looking like she was trying to pee but nothing came out. She dug around a bit more, tried again, nothing. Dug around again and tried one more time and it worked. She did that twice yesterday. She's still eating fine and drinking tons of water, but since my first cat died of renal failure I'm extra cautious about anything urinary tract-related.

Anyone seen that before? Is it just a cat doing a weird cat thing or could it be a sign of a urinary problem? I'm going to ask the vet tomorrow, but I might as well ask here now to see if there's any related behaviors I might want to watch for today or anything like that.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Does anyone have any experience with FIP in a multiple cat household? Right now we have no idea if this is certain death for our existing adult cat, or if this is unlikely to infect him.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Taking Jasmine to the vet tomorrow to see if we can get to the bottom of her over-grooming. Her belly is quite bare now, and she's started to wear away the fur on her back legs and now one of her front legs, too. We found a scab on her front leg where she was apparently licking, so I'm worried she's starting to over-groom so much that she's breaking skin. :ohdear:

That said, I really have no idea how to isolate what's causing it. We've moved apartments twice with her and she never did this before, and it took several months in our current apartment before she started doing it here, so I don't think she's allergic to something in the apartment. At the same time, our new apartment doesn't get any direct sunlight so maybe her inability to bask in the sun, combined with us being gone at work all day, is stressing her out.

There's one other behavior I noticed and I'm curious if it's a sign of something that any of you have seen before:

I noticed her going into the litter box a couple times yesterday, digging into the litter a bit (normal), and then looking like she was trying to pee but nothing came out. She dug around a bit more, tried again, nothing. Dug around again and tried one more time and it worked. She did that twice yesterday. She's still eating fine and drinking tons of water, but since my first cat died of renal failure I'm extra cautious about anything urinary tract-related.

Anyone seen that before? Is it just a cat doing a weird cat thing or could it be a sign of a urinary problem? I'm going to ask the vet tomorrow, but I might as well ask here now to see if there's any related behaviors I might want to watch for today or anything like that.

Sounds like maybe a uti or some style of blockage. Good thing you're going to the vet.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Does anyone have any experience with FIP in a multiple cat household? Right now we have no idea if this is certain death for our existing adult cat, or if this is unlikely to infect him.

No, but I'm sorry you and your cats are going through this. Good luck.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

maikzor posted:

My younger cat does it constantly. He's doing it with a food dish right now. I think it might translate to "this is mine, and I'm trying to hide it because it's mine."

Unrelated: Did you know Ikea has cat-cubes for those shelves?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Mine does it around her food bowl on the kitchen floor. I think they do it because they are cats. Milly will also just go and scratch in the back of an empty box or paper bag randomly for no reason.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Had to work from home yesterday, and took a video call in the morning with my team. Raiden starts meowing and jumps up on my lap begging for pets, causing everyone to laugh and tell me about my cool cat.

My dumb cat is now our team mascot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I've been looking around and it looks like your older cat has pretty good odds of being fine, because the infection that causes FIP only does so in a pretty small proportion of cats, but I'm seeing some contradictory stuff about exactly why that can happen (though it seems agreed that it's most likely in young cats) and whether or not FIP as-such can be transmitted, or only feline coronavirus, which can then mutate into FIP. The big things seem to be keeping litter trays as clean as possible, as coronavirus is primarily spread through feces.

In short I'd recommend contacting a vet ASAP to talk about how this affects your older kitty and whether you need to take steps to keep him safe. However, nothing I have found suggests that it's certain, or even probable, death for him, and even the worst-case probabilities I can dig up seem to think your older boy has a 90%+ chance of being just fine. Again though, not a vet, I might be overlooking something obvious.

e; Cats digging at water bowls is something I've seen in more than one of ours, I assume it's just because cat.exe is functioning properly.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Just finished giving Rexie her weekly bath. She's all set to go get her first HCM scan tomorrow!

Should be interesting to see how she handles the car ride. The other cats have moved from Florida to Michigan and back. She's really good about the carrier going to the vet, but it's never been more than 20 minutes (this will be a 3 hour drive each way.....only one drat clinic in the state of Florida).

Her scan came back perfect! She was also a very good girl for the doctors so she got a pup cup from Starbucks on the drive home :3:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I do. We had a kitten with wet FIP years ago and had 3 other cats at that time. I don’t think we ever got the others tested, figuring it wouldn’t change anything anyway. Two of those cats have since passed (one from old age and one from an accident) but our remaining cat from that bunch is old and still hasn’t presented with FIP. So from my anecdotal evidence of no transmission out of three, it’s likely your older cat will be fine.

Good luck and I’m sorry about your kitten. FIP sucks.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Joburg posted:

I do. We had a kitten with wet FIP years ago and had 3 other cats at that time. I don’t think we ever got the others tested, figuring it wouldn’t change anything anyway. Two of those cats have since passed (one from old age and one from an accident) but our remaining cat from that bunch is old and still hasn’t presented with FIP. So from my anecdotal evidence of no transmission out of three, it’s likely your older cat will be fine.

Good luck and I’m sorry about your kitten. FIP sucks.

That's good to hear - I'm glad your cats weren't all wiped out by FIP. I've been hearing similar anecdotes from other people, and my amateur research skills are saying the same thing. Losing the new kitten is horrible, but losing our existing cat would be even worse. Although nothing seems a sure thing with FIP, I'm starting to feel good about our existing cat's chances.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

That's good to hear - I'm glad your cats weren't all wiped out by FIP. I've been hearing similar anecdotes from other people, and my amateur research skills are saying the same thing. Losing the new kitten is horrible, but losing our existing cat would be even worse. Although nothing seems a sure thing with FIP, I'm starting to feel good about our existing cat's chances.
Yeah, it’s extremely unlikely that your older cat will get FIP. Very sorry about your kitten. FIP loving sucks.

maikzor
Feb 26, 2011

Pixelante posted:

My younger cat does it constantly. He's doing it with a food dish right now. I think it might translate to "this is mine, and I'm trying to hide it because it's mine."

Unrelated: Did you know Ikea has cat-cubes for those shelves?

You might be on to something there, tonight she tried burying her favorite toy. It's just weird how she's suddenly decided that digging is the cool new thing to do.

Yeah, in an ironic twist however, ikea's pet collection is not available in sweden. I made one from a regular inset, but she stopped using it so it's a spray booth now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Mine does it around her food bowl on the kitchen floor. I think they do it because they are cats. Milly will also just go and scratch in the back of an empty box or paper bag randomly for no reason.

Peridot will pointedly go paw at one of the flaps of a nearby cardboard box when her yelling for dinner doesn’t get the desired reaction. I think she thinks that if she doesn’t loudly remind me for two hours straight every evening I just won’t feed her.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I know it's probably manageable, but like the sleeping suggestions, try to get a third party trigger for her feeding or an automatic dish. They're brains are small and they persist because, in the end, they get fed after begging not long before and assume you got up because they asked you to. They think they have to keep working at it because they don't remember a time they were fed without calling for it.

Getting auto feeders for my beggar fixed him, and the noise of the motor is a great feeding alert. If you don't need to establish the "I'm the food giver" bond, I recommend them, though I don't recommend putting food in them for more than like 10h even with an ice block.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fred's first hiking trip:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 25, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The files from slack don't seem to load for me. Fred looks fully awesome though. Did he enjoy himself?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I moved those to imgur, hopefully fixed. Yeah, he loved it. We even got to a nice walking pace for awhile instead of him dragging along sniffing everything the whole time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

An extremely good, handsome, perambulatory Fred.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Man I would love to take my cat on a walk. There’s too many drat bugs on the east coast though.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So last month I posted about a situation where one of two cats was leaving sad little dark microturds all around the litter boxes but not in them. The situation seems to have evolved into something more unpleasant:

Turds are now showing up in five areas and both cats seemed to have synchronized their poops to look similar enough I'm not sure who is leaving what where. I can only assume the aforementioned non-pooping cat is getting better because if some of these piles aren't his then he hasn't pooped in almost three weeks now and is otherwise not showing any distress. Pretty sure any mammal outside of mythical dead-Elvis-on-a-toilet can't go that long without making GBS threads so I assume both cats are leaving the piles. The feces are soft but usually not liquid and are tan in color rather than a darker dirt color. I've been cleaning up the messes using Nature's Miracle spray but it's not having any effect: At this point only 1 in around 8 turds are ending up in litter boxes. Both cats still pee in the litter boxes only. Are they playing some weird game of poo poo-cat-toe using the same areas in the house?

I did get a small spray bottle of Feliway and sprayed it on a shared bed and cat tree and both cats didn't seem to react to it. That had no immediate impact on the poop problems reported in February and I haven't been using it daily although the instructions suggest it, just every 3-4 days. Should I be spraying it daily, and/or in different places?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's probably not something they're doing with their own free will, right? It could just be accidentally sticking to them and coming off later if it's small pieces. Some digestive or health problem could be making that happen and the cats might have no idea. Maybe they need to get that tested.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

taqueso posted:

Fred's first hiking trip:

We took our cats Moo Moo and Luga on a road trip with us to the ski mountains to stay in an airbnb with us. At eight hours this was their first long trip ever, and Luga's first time walking anywhere on a leash. They did so well with four people and two cats in the car. We pulled over a few times where there were trails to let them stretch their legs. For about an hour they were either walking from plant to plant to sniff it, or running off at a good pace towards random points no matter how hard we tried to get them to go between the rocks marking the trail. When I ran off into the rocks they ran really fast to follow and look for me. We finally picked them up to bring them back to the cars, when they really would have preferred to keep running around.

"Hiking with two cats on a leash at once"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LQ83CUPJrM

"Moo Moo exploring the desert mountains" <--- Really pretty scenery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34i1HqMLAQ

Getting Moo Moo into the car:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
More photos from a couple weekends ago:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

More photos from a couple weekends ago:

This is a cool and awesome cat.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
And an S-tier harness, to boot! That's the swagger of a feline who knows they're taking some good action-adventure photos.

I'm entering a very dark time of year. When I first got Claudius she was an emaciated rescue baby and mostly we picked each other on account of her incredibly great personality (cattitude?) but also because her hair was very very short and thus easy to groom. It turns out, when you feed her and exercise her, she's half Persian Chinchilla.

Welcome to the Fluffpocalypse.

don't even play like you dont feel loads better you silly babby

Just pretend I posted the other five versions of this photo. Which is a figure of speech because I have MORE than that. Because this is an every-three-days process!!! Constantly, from roughly now until November! I am not making a joke, every three days she makes that much fluff!

Is this just my life now? Taking 30 minutes every 72 hours to do this? Or could I get out of it with *quickly looks both ways* giving her a bath?

e; The Fluff Meditations are a pretty good subgenre of my imgur, though.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 26, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It'll be worse in certain times of the year than others. You can shave em! But yah it's kind of your life. Some breeds that can be groomed like that don't need to be, but some will get mats and hairballs if you don't. A bath won't fix it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
My girlfriend's cat that I posted about a few pages back sadly needs a surgery to remove much of his left ear. We've spent the past two months doing everything we can to bring his ear infection under control, but to no avail.

We also found out last week that he has diabetes. That's at least easily treatable, but the poor guy can't catch a break right now. :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Now that my cats are used to their water fountain, they've been drinking from it like crazy :eyepop:

One side effect I'm noticing is that seems like they aren't eating as much? They still get excited over the auto feeder moving, but rather than chomping down all the food, they usually end up leaving some left that they graze on over the next hour. They seem fine otherwise. Does that seem normal? There's definitely some huge pee balls in the litter and not as much poo. One of my cats seemed to eat out of boredom so I'm wondering if the fountain is alleviating that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wild cats and those on raw diets drink less because a lot of their water comes from their food. If you're feeding almost all dry, expect them to drink lots. By setting up the feeder and the fountain, they're probably just eating without as much stress and urgency. This is probably a good thing.

Big pee balls are ok, especially if it's a boy cat (medicated food causes this too). Eating less isn't that bad. Unless it seems like something's causing it (like pain), I wouldn't worry too much unless they stop eating or pooping.

Cat gonna cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah they probably previously ate some food because they were feeling thirsty and for cats that is fully a way to get the needed hydration. In fact in the right circumstances they don't need to actually drink a drop of water, they get it all from their prey; making their water more attractive by making it bubbling and running getting them to drink more, in turn, probably makes them feel less need to eat to make up the liquid difference. (Most animals don't like standing water nearly as much as moving, which is a pretty reasonable instinct)