Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still blown away by how lovely the Whizzer's power effects were. 90% of these shows budgets is shooting in NYC I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The whizzer's VFX was hilariously awesome

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ok show bad, beating dead horse, etc. But I was waiting for everyone to jump into a room, the doors to shut and a fade to black as a bunch of grunting and camera shaking.

Netflix is supposed to be a premium and exclusive content provider, lately turning out cape stuff below pleb broadcast TV, and about on par with the miserable seasons of Heroes now. I can't imagine this is building subscribers or anticipation of future series. I'm of the opinion that if you can't make something decent, don't bother spewing garbage.

At least Punisher was worthwhile. The one shining gem of recent disappointments.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R-Type posted:

Netflix is supposed to be a premium and exclusive content provider, lately turning out cape stuff below pleb broadcast TV, and about on par with the miserable seasons of Heroes now. I can't imagine this is building subscribers or anticipation of future series. I'm of the opinion that if you can't make something decent, don't bother spewing garbage.

Netflix has made it rather explicitly clear that with their focus on Originals as opposed to licensed content, they're purely in a "quantity, not quality" growth mindset.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I'm still blown away by how lovely the Whizzer's power effects were. 90% of these shows budgets is shooting in NYC I guess.

I'm certain this was the joke.

He's an overweight, lovely Flash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure with Disney taking most every character to their streaming service has something to do with it. Kind of hard to introduce compelling comic characters now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

So he's a bad speedster so his effects work was lovely?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

So he's a bad speedster so his effects work was lovely?

Yeah? It's a visual representation of his crapness. It's meant to make you laugh.

I mean, you clearly thought it was pathetic and laughable, and that was an essential part of this guy's character. It's classic show-don't-tell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It didn't make me laugh. It made me say "jesus, the effex department phoned this in."

Unless you have a statement from the producers backing you up.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Timby posted:

Netflix has made it rather explicitly clear that with their focus on Originals as opposed to licensed content, they're purely in a "quantity, not quality" growth mindset.

It's being said they're draining comedians dry with the same mindset, causing the quality of their constant stand-up releases to plummet.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Part of it is also the fact he was hosed up on enough drugs that he shouldn't be able to get up and stumble a few steps, let alone still manage to run. Jessica even comments on it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

They're still focusing pleeeenty on licensed content. Most of their Originals in the TV section is just stuff they have broadcast rights to in certain countries.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
netflix will poo poo out a thousand OA's to get one Stranger Things and we'll all lap it up

because some people like OA, too. the spreadsheet does not lie.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Whizzer's fx looked like the 90's Flash TV show fx. But I don't know if that was intentional.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burning_Monk posted:

Whizzer's fx looked like the 90's Flash TV show fx. But I don't know if that was intentional.

Probably not, but if you get FX plates of a guy awkwardly running down a street, and they didn't shoot a take without the guy there, and they don't have the money to pay you to frame by frame paint him out so you can replace him with a CG version (nevermind the cost of creating, and animating the CG version) then you just get a terrible blur effect placed on top of the footage.

Were there ANY decent VFX shots this season? Even the Jessica Strong scenes were kinda lame. If I had to guess I'd say the people that shot the speedy guy weren't really suited to that sorta work and didn't provide the effects people with enough material (either time, or money) to do a non-goofy speed effect. If I was in charge I'd latch on to that "it's bad on purpose as a metaphor for how HE's bad at using his powers!" excuse and never let it go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thinking about it, the fx shots have always been poo poo on this show. The way they shoot her or her mom landing after a multi story leap is just awful. Luke Cage has pretty convincing THIS DUDE IS STRONG shots and Iron Fist has that single scene in the board room where he punches the floor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

They're still focusing pleeeenty on licensed content. Most of their Originals in the TV section is just stuff they have broadcast rights to in certain countries.

By their definition, though, that qualifies as Originals because they have the exclusive rights. Ted Sarandos has explicitly said their focus is on Originals and their spend on content they don't own is going to decrease (which is why they continue to hemorrhage TV shows and movies to Hulu).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Yeah? It's a visual representation of his crapness. It's meant to make you laugh.

I mean, you clearly thought it was pathetic and laughable, and that was an essential part of this guy's character. It's classic show-don't-tell.
sure, sure

Also maybe Janet McTeer's acting was bad on purpose to represent the artifice of modern life. And maybe the plotting was a disjointed boring mess to show that Jessica is a disjointed mess of a person. God this show is deep

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

bring back old gbs posted:

Were there ANY decent VFX shots this season? Even the Jessica Strong scenes were kinda lame. If I had to guess I'd say the people that shot the speedy guy weren't really suited to that sorta work and didn't provide the effects people with enough material (either time, or money) to do a non-goofy speed effect. If I was in charge I'd latch on to that "it's bad on purpose as a metaphor for how HE's bad at using his powers!" excuse and never let it go.
I can't imagine where the budget for this show goes, given that there are no fight scenes and barely any vfx. Maybe Krysten Ritter goes through a lot of those jackets

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soothing Vapors posted:

sure, sure

Also maybe Janet McTeer's acting was bad on purpose to represent the artifice of modern life. And maybe the plotting was a disjointed boring mess to show that Jessica is a disjointed mess of a person. God this show is deep

This guy gets it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soothing Vapors posted:

sure, sure

TVIV has found its SMG. Just stretch this post out by 2000 words.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Timby posted:

By their definition, though, that qualifies as Originals because they have the exclusive rights. Ted Sarandos has explicitly said their focus is on Originals and their spend on content they don't own is going to decrease (which is why they continue to hemorrhage TV shows and movies to Hulu).

Chicken or the Egg, are they losing content because because they're focusing on original content or do they have to focus original content because all the production companies are pulling their content to house on a service they own a stake in?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Timby posted:

I thought they were focusing on Originals largely because TV companies were basically starting to refuse to liscence lots of junk over due to wanting to use Hulu/stuff they make more cash off of.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gorelab posted:

I thought they were focusing on Originals largely because TV companies were basically starting to refuse to liscence lots of junk over due to wanting to use Hulu/stuff they make more cash off of.

Plus, with Originals, once the money is spent, it is spent, no matter how many views a show gets. With other people's content, Netflix pays a license fee every time someone even just STARTS a show.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, bring on DDs3 already. Need my D'Onofrio fix after watching Full Metal Jacket Again last night.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I enjoyed the season enough

But I did notice a sharp decline in JJ superstrong scenes.
I know the story doesnt allow for it, but I was surprised to never get a extended fight between JJ and MomJ, after all the trouble they went through to give give both the same powers

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zebulon posted:

Part of it is also the fact he was hosed up on enough drugs that he shouldn't be able to get up and stumble a few steps, let alone still manage to run. Jessica even comments on it.

Yeah. I chalked the stuttering zipping animations up to him being so hosed up that he can't keep the speedster thing going more than maybe a few subjective seconds at a time and keeps having to restart it, which would look really goofy from the outside.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I kept wondering whether that lady who wanted to find her missing son in the first episode would come back. She served a character purpose to establish how Jessica and Malcolm each respond to a case like that, but I wonder if she’ll show up in another series (whichever one is preparing to film next, I guess).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I must be the mutant in the thread because I actually thought Season 2 was better than Season 1. You didn't have the cackling villian in Killgrave to dog her, but at the same time season 2 spent way less time spinning its wheels and it felt like the plot was always advancing toward something. I said back after the first season that the show would be more interesting if they had other issues pop up to deal with and problems to solve that wasn't "Find purple man -> Catch Purple man -> Lose Purple man -> repeat". The cat and mouse went on way too long for the first season.

I really liked the interactions between Jess and her mother, she was a good foil and served as a good contrast to Killgrave from the first season.

Trish being a colossal junkie idiot chasing after the adrenaline high of vigilante street justice makes 100% sense in the perspective of her character. She's been jealous of Jessica's powers from the very beginning and it only makes sense that she would opt to get spooky weird science done to her to get powers. The fact that she goes nuclear on her relationship with Jessica to do what she thought was the right thing in killing Alissa was I feel an interesting way to leave the show and not just have everything return to the status quo.

I thought Hogarth's whole ark was pretty neat and I liked how she transitioned from despair to hitting rock bottom to getting revenge and finding her purpose moving forward. I was kind of hoping we got to see Foggy more than just the one scene cameo but eh.

The special effects sucked but DDs1 and Punisher are the only ones to actually get good SFX in that regard so I didn't really have high expectations. There wasn't a lot of action or fighting, but I never really expected that out of JJ anyways considering in character she never really had the sort of fighting training that any of the other Netflix marvel people had. She's not a ninja with decades of training like Murdoch or Rand nor does she have the boxing/prision deathmatch experience that Luke had. All she has in lieu of skill is untrained raw strength and given her previous traumas with Killgrave it makes sense that she's not wanting to superkick people's heart into splinters on the regular.

The one question I have: Trish's news reporter boyfriend from the first half of the season: Was the whole deal with him hacking her laptop and making shady calls just to organize the engagement party? Was that intended just to be an IGH fakeout?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Samizdata posted:

With other people's content, Netflix pays a license fee every time someone even just STARTS a show.

That was the case when Netflix started streaming (more than a decade ago); their contracts called for a license fee per view. Later, Netflix renegotiated its contracts to put caps on how much it would pay ("we'll pay you X amount of money per view up to a cap of Y and then we stop paying but we get to keep it until it expires"), and then a few years ago they re-did their contracts again to have a flat fee--they get X content for Y amount of time for Z amount of money.

Gorelab posted:

Starz was the one that made a huge stink about yanking all of its content from Netflix because once Netflix began producing its own content, it became a direct competitor, but the bigger thing is that Netflix has gotten much stingier with what it will fork out for other people's content--but Amazon, for example, is also in the content production business, and no one gives a poo poo about licensing their shows to Prime. The bigger thing is that Sarandos has also said Netflix has no interest in licensing shows or movies that are on other services unless they get them for almost nothing, which is another reason that it's been hemorrhaging content.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

DeathSandwich posted:

The one question I have: Trish's news reporter boyfriend from the first half of the season: Was the whole deal with him hacking her laptop and making shady calls just to organize the engagement party? Was that intended just to be an IGH fakeout?

He comments on having to break in to get her contacts to organize the engagement party without her knowing. Pretty sure they just did it that way as a fake out given how much they went out of their way to make it look like he was doing really shady poo poo with her stuff.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DeathSandwich posted:

I must be the mutant in the thread because I actually thought Season 2 was better than Season 1.

No, I'm right there with you because I've enjoyed what I've watched so far (an episode every other evening or so after work).

Last night's episode was when Hogarth came home to an empty apartment and just started breaking down and Jessica killed the gently caress out of that prison guard. So things are getting good.

I loved how the guy was screaming "Self Defense! Self Defense!" while clubbing a woman in his house. as if that justified what he was doing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn’t say season 2 was better but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I really enjoy how much of a mess Jessica is and watching her deal with it.

Trish is so terrible though.

I could have absolutely done without the rival PI storyline but eh.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

That was the case when Netflix started streaming (more than a decade ago); their contracts called for a license fee per view. Later, Netflix renegotiated its contracts to put caps on how much it would pay ("we'll pay you X amount of money per view up to a cap of Y and then we stop paying but we get to keep it until it expires"), and then a few years ago they re-did their contracts again to have a flat fee--they get X content for Y amount of time for Z amount of money.

Well, that helps explain why so much stuff I liked has disappeared off Netflix....

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm skipping most of every episode. This is even more 'Soap Opera' than the first season.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wonder what was up with that aquarium episode ending. You hear someone yell "Help!" as the glass is about to crack, then it fades to credits. The next episode we just see a wet Jessica walking around on the street, putting her phone in a bag of rice. It feels like a whole superhero rescue sequence was planned in the aquarium, but they cut it out for some reason. Budget cuts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ymgve posted:

Wonder what was up with that aquarium episode ending. You hear someone yell "Help!" as the glass is about to crack, then it fades to credits. The next episode we just see a wet Jessica walking around on the street, putting her phone in a bag of rice. It feels like a whole superhero rescue sequence was planned in the aquarium, but they cut it out for some reason. Budget cuts?

You think they can afford that when they can't even convincingly show us how strong Jess is?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wonder if they got to pool SFX budgets when characters like Luke Cage appear in the show. Because they did show a bit more about how strong Jessica is when she was tossing Luke around like a rag doll and breaking poo poo to pin him in place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I wonder if they got to pool SFX budgets when characters like Luke Cage appear in the show. Because they did show a bit more about how strong Jessica is when she was tossing Luke around like a rag doll and breaking poo poo to pin him in place.

I think the resources do draw from a pool, didn't they say they have XX number of episodes left in the original deal that have to be split between the shows?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think the resources do draw from a pool, didn't they say they have XX number of episodes left in the original deal that have to be split between the shows?

In IF2, Danny's fist will no longer glow, they'll just shine a flashlight at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DeathSandwich posted:

I must be the mutant in the thread because I actually thought Season 2 was better than Season 1.

I dug this season too, though it certainly has plenty of flaws I felt it was better paced than the first season and for the most part I really dug the various character's storylines. The lack of a solid capital V villain like Kilgrave was noticeable though, but then I'm not really sure how you could follow up such a hosed up and well acted character like that without it feeling disappointing, so maybe it was for the best they didn't really try.

I'd still rank season 1 above this one, but overall I really enjoyed it, warts and all.