Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Be careful what you wish for.

The used bookstore is killing me. I'm developing a collection of old church cookbooks. You know, the little spiral bound ones churches put out to collect old recipes their congregation knows.

There's a few gems in there, but a whole lot of Depression-era hamburger and condensed soup cassaroles.

There's a couple of ladies from roughly the local area who opened up a successful pie shop in NYC, and they come back from time to time and do demos and presentations. They talk about how they scour old church cookbooks and magazine/newspaper articles for old recipes (often terribly nondescriptive ones) to find the secrets behind the best pies of their childhood and before. It's kind of cool to hear them talk about it. Their pies are also incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I collect those Church/Auxiliary Ladies cookbooks myself. Down here there are always a fair few interesting and fun new techniques for cooking offal or game. We're a town made up of more cows than people and more deer than cows and 15x more squirrels than anything else including trees. It's always great to peel a few old pages apart and find a fun recipe for squirrel and dewberry stuffed venison loin. I find a new weird recipe for veal brains every time I flip through em.

As for normal cookbooks, I read them cover to cover like a delicious novel and then mentally note what I wanted to make out of them. I'd say this works out approximately never, but it's a method.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 23, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Squirrel recipes are great!

I picked up one the other day that is super special to me.

It's a small press run for the centennial of the tiny little town I grew up in. Few enough of these were printed that I know -exactly- which of the neighbors this one belonged to. I lost mine in a fire in the late 1990's. It's the only place where some of my grandma's recipes were ever written down, because she cooked entirely by eye.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
As someone who grew up in the dirty south who loves soul food those old school church cookbooks can be great. Mostly poo poo but some really great gems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought some pork shoulder intending to chop it up and use it for pulled pork, but it looks like deboning a pork shoulder is actually pretty hard, and I don’t have a boning knife. I’m prolly gonna end up slicing off what I can and sticking the rest in the freezer for stock v:v:v

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Pollyanna posted:

I bought some pork shoulder intending to chop it up and use it for pulled pork, but it looks like deboning a pork shoulder is actually pretty hard, and I don’t have a boning knife. I’m prolly gonna end up slicing off what I can and sticking the rest in the freezer for stock v:v:v

Why debone it? Why don't just make pulled pork and pick the bones out when it's done?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DekeThornton posted:

Why debone it? Why don't just make pulled pork and pick the bones out when it's done?

Whole thing wouldn’t fit in my IP.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pollyanna posted:

Try cutting it into big pieces as best you can, even chopping through bone, and then cooking it thusly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

Be careful what you wish for.

You do God's work.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can't cut through the bone unless you break out like a jigsaw. You can cut through the joint (wiggle it to find out where).

But deboning should be pretty easy. Don't try to cut off cubes just accounting for the bone; go down along the bone, scraping along the bone to get the meat off it. Think of it as getting the meat away from the bone where the goal is a clean bone. Like here starting about 1:05

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
You can probably do it with a sharp paring knife and some patience if you don't have a boning knife.

Watching scott rea videos really makes me want to buy a boning knife despite never really having a need for one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Cook it on the bone. Once it's ready to be pulled, grab the bone and just slide it out of the shoulder.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Liquid Communism posted:

Cook it on the bone. Once it's ready to be pulled, grab the bone and just slide it out of the shoulder.

I was gonna make pulled pork, which I don’t know how to do in the oven? But this might be a better idea. Thx!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Pollyanna posted:

I was gonna make pulled pork, which I don’t know how to do in the oven? But this might be a better idea. Thx!

Oven pulled pork. Apply about a tablespoon liquid smoke. Make a rub. Rub it on. Cook @225 for about 10 hours. Take it out and rest about 30 minutes. Pull the bone out and hand pull with two forks. Easy peasy.

For the Spice Rub:
1/3 cup paprika (2 1/4 ounces; 65g)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (2 ounces; 55g)
1/4 cup kosher salt (1 1/2 ounces; 40g)
2 tablespoons whole yellow mustard seed (1/4 ounce; 8g)
2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder (1/4 ounce; 8g)
1 tablespoon onion powder (1/8 ounce; 4g)
1 tablespoon dried oregano (1/8 ounce; 4g)
1 tablespoon whole coriander seed (1/8 ounce; 4g)
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

... how -were- you going to make it? I think we may have very different pulled pork recipes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Liquid Communism posted:

... how -were- you going to make it? I think we may have very different pulled pork recipes.

Debone it, cut into roast size, sear it, instant pot and mix in Sweet Baby Ray’s :confused:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 24, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ah, similar theories. I'd leave it bone-in, hit it with rub and mustard, pack it with dark brown sugar, and pitch it in the slow cooker for the day

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ended up breaking down the pork butt anyway.

Followed the first part of this video: https://youtu.be/-FQ61QZM9Gg

The deboned part (left) is going to be Sunday dinner, while the bone-in part (right) will be frozen and pulled at a later date. I really need a sharp boning knife, this IKEA chef knife sucks.

Tried rolling it up and tying it like a pro, but I definitely didn’t do the right knots.

Marbling.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Another plug for MFK Fisher's Art of Eating for a food book that's mostly stories. It's a collection of five books, one is half recipes half story, one is a love letter to oysters with recipes here and there, the third is a wartime book about eating well on rationing, the fourth is a sort of memoir and really the soul of the book, and the fifth is the much needed refractory period that is mostly recipes and discussions of ingredients.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Debone it, cut into roast size, sear it, instant pot and mix in Sweet Baby Ray’s :confused:

Debone it anyway, any medium size knife with a good thin point will do you. Pork shoulder is good practice! It's basically the perfect cut to practice on, it's got enough long straight bits to be satisfying, and fiddly bits to test you. And worst case scenario, if you massacre it, it's pulled pork anyway. I learned pretty much exclusively on pork shoulder and taking out chicken backs while watching the entire Scott Rea Project channel before I trusted myself with anything truly fiddly.

And I still don't own a proper boning knife.

\/\/ oh nice you went ahead and did it anyway. Thanks, awful app, for not loading this page! \/\/

Pollyanna posted:

Ended up breaking down the pork butt anyway.

Followed the first part of this video: https://youtu.be/-FQ61QZM9Gg

The deboned part (left) is going to be Sunday dinner, while the bone-in part (right) will be frozen and pulled at a later date. I really need a sharp boning knife, this IKEA chef knife sucks.

Tried rolling it up and tying it like a pro, but I definitely didn’t do the right knots.

Marbling.

Awesome job! Keep it up!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 25, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was in Pittsburgh yesterday and finally able to go to a real butcher; I bought neck bones and soup bones to make stock.

This will be my first go at it and I'm planning to follow the recipe here https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_beef_stock/

The problem is I only have an 8 qt stock pot.

Can I downsize the recipe? If so, what are the new measurements? Can I even make stock in my size pot or should I freeze the bones until I can get a 12 qt stock pot?

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was in Pittsburgh yesterday and finally able to go to a real butcher; I bought neck bones and soup bones to make stock.

This will be my first go at it and I'm planning to follow the recipe here https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_beef_stock/

The problem is I only have an 8 qt stock pot.

Can I downsize the recipe? If so, what are the new measurements? Can I even make stock in my size pot or should I freeze the bones until I can get a 12 qt stock pot?

Stock really isn't something that you need precision measurements for. It's pretty much "Load meat/bones & whatever else into pot, cover with 2 inches of water or so, simmer away." Don't overthink it too much, as long as you have a reasonable ratio of animal/vegetable matter to water, it's not something that's prone to massive fuckup.

That said, if you can fit all the ingredients and water in your pot, just make the recipe as written. I've made stock out of 6-pound chickens in an 8-quart without issue, so I don't know that your pot isn't already big enough.

If you have to downsize the recipe to make the food plus water fit in your pot, I'd leave all of the beef in and hold some of the neck bones. Meat provides more flavor, but bones contribute more gelatin/body to the stock. Also, if I were to make that recipe, I'd probably just use 1 onion/carrot/celery each, because too much veg can get overpowering.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Debone it anyway, any medium size knife with a good thin point will do you. Pork shoulder is good practice! It's basically the perfect cut to practice on, it's got enough long straight bits to be satisfying, and fiddly bits to test you. And worst case scenario, if you massacre it, it's pulled pork anyway. I learned pretty much exclusively on pork shoulder and taking out chicken backs while watching the entire Scott Rea Project channel before I trusted myself with anything truly fiddly.

And I still don't own a proper boning knife.

\/\/ oh nice you went ahead and did it anyway. Thanks, awful app, for not loading this page! \/\/

Awesome job! Keep it up!

I’ve been shotgunning the Scott Rea project for a while now, which got me in the mood for meat and therefore pulled pork. Those videos are loving fascinating, and have definitely helped me in the kitchen.

Speaking of, it’s Sunday! Ended up cooking the cottage roll in the IP, shredding it, tossing it in the remnants of my SBR, and broiling the top a bit. For dinner, I went pretty simple with just some pickles, but tomorrow I might put a slaw together and add that on top instead. Delicious. I might broil the top longer to get a really good crust going...

Also, in the future, I might leave it in larger chunks - it got pretty heavily broken down when I stirred in the SBR, maybe a little too much.

Pics:

too lazy to spin that last one

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 26, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im trying to make a sort of meat donut and would like some direction on this subject//point me to the correct thread?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Statutory Ape posted:

im trying to make a sort of meat donut and would like some direction on this subject//point me to the correct thread?

"Meat donut" immediately brought to mind this recent Chef John joint
https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/03/beef-pirozhki-russia-russia-russia.html?m=1

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Veritek83 posted:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/03/beef-pirozhki-russia-russia-russia.html?m=1

this is pretty much exactly what i was looking for, just need some sugar on the outside and im golden

thanks!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Veritek83 posted:

Thanks, I was just asking for a recipe in a different thread recently.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/49122191/veganblade-the-best-vegan-kitchen-knife?ref=discovery&term=kitchen

quote:

I mean, how hard is it to find a knife that can cut through bread, fruits, nuts and veggies with ease? Very Hard.

I realized after purchasing any form of metal based knife (Japanese, Damascus, Titanium, Steel) for any price ($20 to $800) they would eventually get dull within 30 days, sometimes after 2 days. Worst of all, the sharper they were the quicker they turned dull.

I do not have the money to constantly sharpen a knife, nor do I have the time to spend 1 hour to just to sharpen my knife, so I can then spend another hour just to prep food.

Read this. Then scream.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What hotels is he staying at that he is willing to use their knives? Gross. Out of everything on that horror show page, the thought of using a weekly hotel suite kitchenette knife is the most disturbed. Those aren't really a thing, yes? People don't stay in public housing and just grab the nearest blade and go about making food with it.

That guy is soylent-stupid and terrible at self promotion. I bet he breaks a million in sales by April.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

The bread he's slicing in the gif with the VEGANBLADE had its crust pre-cut before filming but they hid it with the camera angle. Maybe it's such a lightsaber that it sliced a half-inch into crusty bread without compacting the rest of it even a little? I guess that'd justify the $119.99 msrp for a fuckin' ceramic knife with a cheap plastic handle.

Seems like every awful crowdfunded kitchen knife makes 10x its goal. What the hell is this poo poo?

Flunky fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 26, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Zirconium dioxide is what they use in Kyoceras. Theyre $35.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

fizzymercy posted:

What hotels is he staying at that he is willing to use their knives? Gross. Out of everything on that horror show page, the thought of using a weekly hotel suite kitchenette knife is the most disturbed. Those aren't really a thing, yes? People don't stay in public housing and just grab the nearest blade and go about making food with it.

That guy is soylent-stupid and terrible at self promotion. I bet he breaks a million in sales by April.

You understand the concept of "cleaning" yes? Do you bring your own knives to restaurants?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I spent 13* dollars on a new bread knife and I don't regret a single cent. When I finally got around to viewing that kickstarter on my computer instead of phone, I completely facepalmed at the dude cutting bread with a straight blade.

*after 50 dollars in gift cards.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

I spent 13* dollars on a new bread knife and I don't regret a single cent. When I finally got around to viewing that kickstarter on my computer instead of phone, I completely facepalmed at the dude cutting bread with a straight blade.

*after 50 dollars in gift cards.

I cut bread ranging from pillowy foccacia to crusty hearth bread with a straight gyuto and it slices right through. Leaves fewer crumbs behind and gives me a nicer cut than any bread knife I've ever used.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I cut bread ranging from pillowy foccacia to crusty hearth bread with a straight gyuto and it slices right through. Leaves fewer crumbs behind and gives me a nicer cut than any bread knife I've ever used.

in order to make a good gyuto these kickstarter peeps would have to actually know about knives

do you think that this would happen

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Steve Yun posted:

They specifically say they became a fan of ceramic knives, bought a hundred different types to find which one they like the best, then copied it and added "vegan" to it's name.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

You understand the concept of "cleaning" yes? Do you bring your own knives to restaurants?

I would bring my own knives if I was the cook, yes. You really don't think it's weird to just randomly use kitchen gear that you have no idea where it's been or how it was used? That's insanity to me.

I travel with my knives like a normal person. Good grief.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Besides quality, what does not knowing what they've been used for matter?

I guess wood handled knives could harbor bacteria despite cleaning, but otoh wooden cutting boards are more anti microbial than plastic so shrug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Uh duh he says right there that other ceramic knives are like 95% or less zirconium dioxide or some poo poo so it obviously sucks.

Fake edit, lol @ the obvious pre cut on the bread as someone already pointed out and WTF why buy a fancy bread knife. It's literally the only knife in the kitchen you can cheap out on.