Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is there any trick to getting more distress call missions in the post game? I got one or two, but haven’t gotten any more over the past week of playing.

I bounce a bit between single player and multi player. I have tried to clear all the field missions before talking to people in base camp for their missions, but random stuff keeps piping up in the field. When I eventually just give up clearing field missions and talk to the people, they all give me container quests.

I have cleared base dig 2 twice so far. Do I need to clear base dig 3 before more will populate? I am currently at like 12 people with plenty of sleeping spots and maxed out food/water/medical camp points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Super bummed. My bus home went missing last night so I got home late, failing the last wave of base dig 5, wasting a ton of my time, totally loving up my base and (most annoyingly) killing my entire animal collection. I guess it's time to go play other games. :sigh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ixjuvin posted:

Super bummed. My bus home went missing last night so I got home late, failing the last wave of base dig 5, wasting a ton of my time, totally loving up my base and (most annoyingly) killing my entire animal collection. I guess it's time to go play other games. :sigh:

Honestly this is my biggest complaint with the game. A video game company should not have the right to decide when I do and don't get to play the game. I don't want to play the game on Konami's schedule nor should I be required to. Animals and quests and resources respawning in realtime, base defense forcing you to make room for the game in your daily schedule, it's a bunch of crap. Survive is a video game, not my boyfriend. It's poking at the fringes of what people don't like about mobile games when you get to the endgame.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 23, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The trick to distress signals is to completely ignore side missions, but still accept them. The way the game works is that each mission type fills up an overall "pool" up to a certain limit, at which point the chance for other missions dramatically increases.

I. E. Take a bunch of container missions then sleep for 24 hours. Your NPCs will offer more missions, but as the containers are already on the map you'll be given a rare animal or distress signal instead. I was consistently getting signals this way, more often than not one after the other as Id taken all other missions types.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
And yeah, that's really stupid. A compromise would be allowing the player to select when that defense triggers in a 24 hour period, rather than triggering every 24 automatically.

My ideal world would be being able to choose auto defense, or "save up" the defenses so I can do several in a row.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Orvin posted:

Is there any trick to getting more distress call missions in the post game? I got one or two, but haven’t gotten any more over the past week of playing.

I bounce a bit between single player and multi player. I have tried to clear all the field missions before talking to people in base camp for their missions, but random stuff keeps piping up in the field. When I eventually just give up clearing field missions and talk to the people, they all give me container quests.

I have cleared base dig 2 twice so far. Do I need to clear base dig 3 before more will populate? I am currently at like 12 people with plenty of sleeping spots and maxed out food/water/medical camp points.

Distress call missions are actually the highest priority level, and it seems like they can overlap the other side missions. So you can just talk to your people and see what missions they have. Then sleep to the next day if none of them are distress calls.

You'll only need to start clearing missions to grind your way down to bear sightings. So, uh, there's an incentive to protect your bear cages.

Ninja EDIT:

CJacobs posted:

Honestly this is my biggest complaint with the game. A video game company should not have the right to decide when I do and don't get to play the game. I don't want to play the game on Konami's schedule nor should I be required to. Animals and quests and resources respawning in realtime, base defense forcing you to make room for the game in your daily schedule, it's a bunch of crap. Survive is a video game, not my boyfriend. It's poking at the fringes of what people don't like about mobile games when you get to the endgame.

Partly false, partly false, and partly false again. Side quests are based on the game-clock, which you can advance at tents. The game remembers the last X resources you've picked up. Where X is a large but not absurd number (you need a few actually good scavenging spots before you can reloot the first). And animals in the field can be respawned based on your activity, but gently caress if I care how or why; I don't need any of them but the birds.

On the other hand, orders (which give worthless rewards) are time gated, and base digs are time-gated (which actually does suck). Your animals at base, and the resources collected from them are time-gated. 24 hours of production on a post-game base can't be reasonably used unless you're putting 6+ hours of singleplayer into the game each day.

OH wait. Mine-able Moving Singularities are also time-gated, which sucks.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 23, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Come on Konami, let me have an option to return staff "home" or something. Feels a bit mean to feed them all to bears...

Seal team 10
Mar 2, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

My boyfriend hates this game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they really change the random mining missions? Unlike the recruit missions, mining has a chance of showing up each day and you can find one in a week or two. Just sleep each day and open the map for the usual spots.

The way to get resources to spawn in the teleporter areas are similar and Afghanistan has a longer gameplay timer. (it ignores MP gameplay, so you better idle in SP and not pause) Besides clearing out every single item you can pick up in every porter area, not including large containers or holding the button to pick up several items, you have to get that isolated base outside the sanctuary map where you find run past broken cars and the mining spot guarded by wolves. Take all the resources from buildings in the other animal sanctuary zones. Grabbing food doesn't help, but it might be better than idling away your hunger until you are filled with months of food. I wouldn't bother with using Afghanistan to fill up on resources, as Africa is a magnitude better.

Africa is a faster bit of looting everything you can pick up and break apart, like barrels and boxes in porter areas, minus food and Charon containers. It is mandatory to wear nothing but a knife strong enough to break barrels in three hits and one soup can per trip.

You loot the fenced-in base near the boer goats, past the chasm.
Try to spawn the Walker Gear near the back of the mansion.
Clean out the empty base in the Gauntlet Forest. Walk back to MB.
The back of the mansion near where the Walker might spawn and the right side of the building with two gaps with items. Ignore the farm. No reason to get inside unless you need wood, then destroy the barrels and retreat before you meet zombies. Walk back to MB without the Walker.
That spot in the back of that map with the blown out buildings and deadlier dust. Empty all the buildings. Walk back to MB in the Walker Gear, but first clear out the building next to the bridge with ten zombies/plants.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

poptart_fairy posted:

Double fencing is probably overkill, but if you like the look of it I won't judge. :3:

I do wish we had more freedom in base design. I get that limits need to be in place to prevent everything being walled off by turrets, but it would be nice to accommodate aesthetics and defense with a reasonable "budget".

Incidentally I'm really itchy to get back into Phantom Pain. Can I still safely ignore the base invasion stuff?

I've never gotten invaded ever and you don't need to do any PVP.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly I might just start over with TPP. There is a poo poo load of challenges, events and equipment I don't remember. This isn't even counting the fact I have so much unlocked and aaaaagh

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Game has around 600 players world wide, games dead. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
600 players world wide at one of the least popular times of day to play video games yeah. Also that's not counting consoles I guess.

edit: Also, I wouldn't trust the steam player count considering steamcharts says the highest ever online players was 5,000 when the game clearly sold way the hell more than that, and for the first few weeks the devs had forgotten to set the game to appear publicly on peoples' Steam accounts

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Still pretty low.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

CJacobs posted:

600 players world wide at one of the least popular times of day to play video games yeah. Also that's not counting consoles I guess.

edit: Also, I wouldn't trust the steam player count considering steamcharts says the highest ever online players was 5,000 when the game clearly sold way the hell more than that, and for the first few weeks the devs had forgotten to set the game to appear publicly on peoples' Steam accounts

Lol why wouldn’t you trust the numbers over uh, whatever data you’re empirically using

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was at the top of Steam's global top sellers list for the whole week after it came out, but aside from that, SteamSpy gives an estimate of a couple hundred thousand. Claiming that out of those couple hundred thousand, only like 1% have actually played it, is pretty clearly in error.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

CJacobs posted:

It was at the top of Steam's global top sellers list for the whole week after it came out, but aside from that, SteamSpy gives an estimate of a couple hundred thousand. Claiming that out of those couple hundred thousand, only like 1% have actually played it, is pretty clearly in error.

That’s the beta you dummy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
oops

edit: Oh well. Maybe if the online dies they'll push stuff for the single player instead. Or just abandon the game, who knows.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 24, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Steamcharts and steamspy also both can't count friends only or private profiles, which there are a lot of.

Also I keep meaning to try this because a family share buddy has it, but I keep getting distracted by other things.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Back Hack posted:

OK.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did they really change the random mining missions? Unlike the recruit missions, mining has a chance of showing up each day and you can find one in a week or two. Just sleep each day and open the map for the usual spots.

The way to get resources to spawn in the teleporter areas are similar and Afghanistan has a longer gameplay timer. (it ignores MP gameplay, so you better idle in SP and not pause) Besides clearing out every single item you can pick up in every porter area, not including large containers or holding the button to pick up several items, you have to get that isolated base outside the sanctuary map where you find run past broken cars and the mining spot guarded by wolves. Take all the resources from buildings in the other animal sanctuary zones. Grabbing food doesn't help, but it might be better than idling away your hunger until you are filled with months of food. I wouldn't bother with using Afghanistan to fill up on resources, as Africa is a magnitude better.

Africa is a faster bit of looting everything you can pick up and break apart, like barrels and boxes in porter areas, minus food and Charon containers. It is mandatory to wear nothing but a knife strong enough to break barrels in three hits and one soup can per trip.

You loot the fenced-in base near the boer goats, past the chasm.
Try to spawn the Walker Gear near the back of the mansion.
Clean out the empty base in the Gauntlet Forest. Walk back to MB.
The back of the mansion near where the Walker might spawn and the right side of the building with two gaps with items. Ignore the farm. No reason to get inside unless you need wood, then destroy the barrels and retreat before you meet zombies. Walk back to MB without the Walker.
That spot in the back of that map with the blown out buildings and deadlier dust. Empty all the buildings. Walk back to MB in the Walker Gear, but first clear out the building next to the bridge with ten zombies/plants.

A skill in the scout subclass lets you pick up like 30 items at a time. Saves a lot of time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That skill is the main reason I'm Scout over Jaeger. Picking up all my arrows individually was awful.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

night slime posted:

A skill in the scout subclass lets you pick up like 30 items at a time. Saves a lot of time.
If you go on scavenging runs without Scout and decide to go through the forest of giant spiders and molestor plants, I would have no words for you.
Silent Walk skips the plant grabs and just makes them angry at you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Running with 70 dexterity is hilarious. I'm moving fast enough to cover multiple lanes, and can loose arrows at a disgusting rate. With the ammo reduction stuff I'm able to use heavy arrows all the time.

It's glorious. :allears:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Finally started the game, feels nice, looks nice and runs like a charm which all doesn't surprise me, even if it's fighting weird ruby zambies TPP gameplay is really good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Fox engine is nuts. Even with dozens and dozens of wanderers, cannons and fire effects going off, the frame rate has yet to dip below 60.

I still hold out hope for a Rising remastering on it...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

The Fox engine is nuts. Even with dozens and dozens of wanderers, cannons and fire effects going off, the frame rate has yet to dip below 60.

I still hold out hope for a Rising remastering on it...
Or a Peace Walker remake :shepspends:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Is it worth keeping the dirty water base sources around? Or should I deconstruct all the lovely water tanks?

night slime
May 14, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

Is it worth keeping the dirty water base sources around? Or should I deconstruct all the lovely water tanks?

The one really good water tank is like 72 titanium alloy and really pissed me off when it got destroyed during a base camp dig and I had rebuild it. Just something to keep in mind when you build it, since I didn't realize it was in a bad/undefended place until it was too late.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you have the space theres no harm. They fill up quick and the water can be purified.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Klaus88 posted:

A full base needs some of them to stay in the black.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Back Hack posted:

While that's not really a surprise, PS4 multiplayer lobbies are still there. It's sad too because MP is really fun, wish it didn't get slammed by so many.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Though its a bit of a pain in the rear end, you can solo S rank Hard missions with the taunt class ability, and judicious use of lures and Kuban rocks. Doesn't solve the matchmaking issue but if you're desperate enough :v:

I do hope they add a way to gain blueprints outside of bade digs and salvage though. The containers would be great for that, but you get blue gear at best.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did you try to box them in and guide them to kill zones like a real tower defense game?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Though its a bit of a pain in the rear end, you can solo S rank Hard missions with the taunt class ability, and judicious use of lures and Kuban rocks. Doesn't solve the matchmaking issue but if you're desperate enough :v:

I do hope they add a way to gain blueprints outside of bade digs and salvage though. The containers would be great for that, but you get blue gear at best.
I got my first and only purple from a washed up container.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well balls. My luck's just awful.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did you try to box them in and guide them to kill zones like a real tower defense game?

I ran around like a wimp luring them in circles, abusing the fact more wouldnt spawn if I didn't kill them. :buddy:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Is there a way I can queue into a multiplayer lobby for any other mission types other than salvage? I only have a 'tutorial' mission option for Rescue but I get melted by the flying ice jellyfish every time I attempt it solo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

kecske posted:

Is there a way I can queue into a multiplayer lobby for any other mission types other than salvage? I only have a 'tutorial' mission option for Rescue but I get melted by the flying ice jellyfish every time I attempt it solo.
Didn't they just patch the game to make that tutorial easier? If you played post-patch and still failed it... Maybe you shouldn't be attempting the Rescue mode with other people yet...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kecske posted:

Do not fight the flying ice jellyfish. Lead it away from the route, then get out of sight, then do the actual run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

level 19, not finished the story yet. Frostbite is level 40 even in the tutorial so I guess I should just wait? When I last attempted it the rescue target was like a magnet and everything knew exactly where I was no matter how I ran or hid.

• Locked thread