Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

iommi's 1st law: shorter scale works better for doom

http://www.rondomusic.com/SX_GERose2K_PUB.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

iommi's 1st law: shorter scale works better for doom

Pretty sure that’s just because he’s missing fingers.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Speaking of Schecter, the Sun Valley line is ticking a lot of boxes for me

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That is pretty dope. I'm old so from my birth year the prices are wacky.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

Hmm, a cheaper charvel superstrat with an ugly headstock. Hmmmmm

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
However these are entirely my poo poo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shugojin posted:

Ohhh man I like these a lot. I do wish they had passives though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ohhh man I like these a lot. I do wish they had passives though.

IIRC the Charvels that Spanish Manlove is admiring are all JB/Jazz-equipped. They do cost a bit more though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://reverb.com/item/3396881-conklin-boomerang-1993-natural

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

IIRC the Charvels that Spanish Manlove is admiring are all JB/Jazz-equipped. They do cost a bit more though.

900 vs 620. If it wasn't for the headstock i'd be all about the shecters though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SnVySSFRSRBL--schecter-sun-valley-super-shredder-with-floyd-rose-and-sustaniac-riviera-blue

There's an $800 version with a sustaniac holy gently caress that's awesome. I'd love to play one and see how the new line feels, previous shecter's I've tried have always kinda just been OK but nothing special. Maybe I'm a brand whore, IDK.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The headstock always does seem to be a sticking point for Fender clones. I've seen plenty of 3+3s that look perfectly OK on LP clones but the Fender ones always end up looking weird and deformed.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
with the exception of g&l pretty much every non-fender strat-style headstock looks like a malformed penis

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the headstock is kinda crap but there's a whole lot of specs that are just really good for that money, and I've been GASing for a maple fretboarded shredder thing hard. Only problem is I'd have to hope the guitar center down in harrisburg has one in order to get a feel for the whole neck profile situation, or else just take Sweetwater up on their evidently pretty easy returns.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

with the exception of g&l pretty much every non-fender strat-style headstock looks like a malformed penis

Banana? Dinky?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like the Schecter Strat headstocks a lot. They look like weird dicks but who doesn’t love dick.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I kinda like the ESP "strat" headstock on their Telecaster clone (TE) more than I like the Telecaster headstock, at least in natural wood color. Although I think they modified it recently to look more "hook-like"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

serious missed opportunity not including a wang bar

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just watched this. It’s long. 54 minutes. But if you are in the mood to hear an extremely good interview with Paul Gilbert I highly recommend it. The guy is such a genuine musician and the interview is full of very great points that reminded me of why I love playing so much.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I replaced the four EL84 power tubes on my Peavey Classic 30. It sounds exactly the same. The hum it gives off sounds like a higher pitch, most likely 120 Hz. Doing some research it sounds like this is probably the input filter capacitor. Which unfortunately is a bitch and a half to replace in this amp. Especially for someone with little to no experience with soldering amps. The amp is 3 PCB's attached in a U shape held together with small angle brackets. Additionally, all of the large capacitors are hot glued to the PCB in addition to being soldered to the board. It suggested you replace all those caps at once and the parts are less than $50, but I would guess the labor is gonna cost me $200+, which kinda sucks. I am taking it in to an amp tech tomorrow. He said he would give me a free estimate, so hopefully he has better news.

If it costs too much, I might either try to fix it on my own just to mess around or sell it for cheap on craiglist to someone who enjoys tinkering on amps. But I am getting a little ahead of myself.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
careful with tube amps and electricity BRO

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's an Axe-Fx 3 now. Does anyone want to buy a lightly used Axe-Fx 2?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You fool, you didn’t even need the first axe fx

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Axe Fx seems really nice if you're a touring musician and that's the only application I can see it being useful.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Super useful for studio focused musicians like me but unfortunately 150% less cool than amps that I can’t even turn up past one

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's loving awesome when you gotta use headphones. There is literally nothing that sounds as good when you live in high density housing. It's also pro as gently caress when you want to play another instrument and have the ridiculous effect chains or when you want to play around in your DAW and reamp your dry signals and have fun with tweaking knobs.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
Best of both worlds is a Torpedo Live or something similar where you can do the amp out into a combination loadbox/speaker sim. Crank a 5150 or JCM 800 at 1 in the morning in an apartment without bothering the neighbors? Delightful.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it'll never be the same as a head cranked to where your pants are flapping in the breeze from the speakers but amp->loadbox->speaker sim is about 95% of the way there

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My tutor figured out Grass Stain by Waxahatchee by ear before the song even finished :staredog:

That, that is what I want to learn how to do.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

it'll never be the same as a head cranked to where your pants are flapping in the breeze from the speakers but amp->loadbox->speaker sim is about 95% of the way there

Plus it's great for getting the sound and feel without contributing further to the tinnitus from when my attitude was gently caress THE NEIGHBORS I WANT TO FEEL THE WIND IN MY HAIR!

And cymbals at ear level, small practice spaces with block walls, and horn sections. Wear earpro, kids.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I got a 22 out of 30 on my AMPA audition for the Army band. looks like i just need to get my transfer paperwork in order and I can go play the cymbals for the army instead of driving trucks! :yayclod:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yep, load box and/or XLR-out into a little mixer with headphones from a valve amp are much much more preferable IMO. In 20 years time your JCM800 is going to be worth the same as you bought it, in 20 years your AxeFX ig going to be in the dump. I'm not just talking about financial value, but artistic/aural/etc. too.

EDIT: to clarify, each to their own - but by nature guitar is now a quaint anachronism and not at all relevant in modern mainstream music, and as such find the fetishisation of technology in that space as equally bad as historic-reissue-58-with-period-plastics blueslawyers.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 25, 2018

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Speaking of load boxes has anyone tried the Torpedo Captor? Seriously considering one to record my head with because I just don't have an environment I can turn it up loud enough to hit the sweet spot.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Salt Fish posted:

It's loving awesome when you gotta use headphones. There is literally nothing that sounds as good when you live in high density housing. It's also pro as gently caress when you want to play another instrument and have the ridiculous effect chains or when you want to play around in your DAW and reamp your dry signals and have fun with tweaking knobs.

It's even better when your SO calls you from another room and you have to dislodge and untangle yourself for five minutes to go find out they just wanted to show you a cat video.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The only real advantage unless someone has money to burn with a Kemper, AxeFX or other high end modeler is versatility for studio work, or wanting actual accurate amp sounds in a home studio where you have to be quiet. I was looking at all of them and got a Fender Mustang GT100. Sure it isn’t as high quality of a replication as the other expensive profilers but it nails the Fender clean sound, is light and when I rarely need effects they are all convincing enough playing live in theater/musical gigs. This is a a jazz guy though unless it’s a musical or some other random freelance thing. And if I were just playing in my home I would totally be fine using the GT40 or whatever the lowest wattage version is. They are very cool technology but beyond playing with it I just wouldn’t get much more past the GT the way I would use it and I imagine that’s the case for the majority of guitarists out there unless people just want a high quality expensive toy to tinker with (which is great if that’s the case)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Currently changing the strings on my Floyd Rose for the first time and I'm starting to wonder how much I actually want a Floyd Rose.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Wuss. It's super easy.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It super sucks and I own them in spite of it, no question. Changing tunings is something I split into 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
This guitar must've had 9s on it when I got it because the spring tension was way too low for 10s. I ended up tuning it a step down because I don't have any extra springs to put in it and I was worried about running out of adjustment travel for the claw. Then I was stuck in "tune over and over because tuning one string fucks up all the others" hell for a while. Everything seems to be OK now though, aside from my guitar being in D. Time to learn a lot of Mastodon and Death songs, I guess.