Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now I have an idea for a sci-fi book for an alternative future in which the USA and USSR have a short space battle and shoot loads and loads of projectile weapons at each other, and one of the bullets or slugs or cannonballs or whatever, traveling infinitely through the forever vacuum of space, kills an alien 200 years later and starts an interplanetary war.

Like all my brilliant sci-fi ideas, this is probably a) already an asimov short story and b) scientifically wrong in one thousand ways but don't tell me because I will not listen

200 years later an alien is smoking outside at the, uhh, space bar, and his head explodes and all his buddies are like "what the gently caress?"

~*fin*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

200 years later an alien is smoking outside at the, uhh, space bar, and his head explodes and all his buddies are like "what the gently caress?"

~*fin*~

But the twist is that the aliens were earth all along. Pretty sure noone's done that yet

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now I have an idea for a sci-fi book for an alternative future in which the USA and USSR have a short space battle and shoot loads and loads of projectile weapons at each other, and one of the bullets or slugs or cannonballs or whatever, traveling infinitely through the forever vacuum of space, kills an alien 200 years later and starts an interplanetary war.

Like all my brilliant sci-fi ideas, this is probably a) already an asimov short story and b) scientifically wrong in one thousand ways but don't tell me because I will not listen

Leaving orbit requires a much higher velocity change than a bullet experiences.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Leaving orbit requires a much higher velocity change than a bullet experiences.

The bullet slingshotted around the Earth the whole time until it got enough velocity to break orbit. Also the aliens were on the moon

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The bullet slingshots around the earth and hits a Russian in the face. Turns out those fuckin commie freaks were aliens all along. Lets wipe em out, boys

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cosmonauts carried pistols because they landed in the Siberian wilderness sometimes right?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cosmonauts carried pistols because they landed in the Siberian wilderness sometimes right?

Drillings IIRC. It's the bastard offspring of a shotgun and a rifle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

beats getting bear murdered

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Lone Badger posted:

It’s the sexy offspring of a shotgun and a rifle, you mean.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

It was a sort of sawed-off drilling with two 40 gauge barrels and a 5.45mm barrel, the TP-82. They switched back to just carrying Makarovs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's also not forget that the Soviets made a legit loving laser pistol. It was only useful for blinding spacecraft optics, but laser pistol!!!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Also the stock for the survival shotgun was a Woodman's Pal style brush axe that clipped onto the bottom of the gun and had a rubber buttstock on the end of the blade.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Soviet-American cooperation during WWII kinda makes me sad that geopolitics made it cease; the Americans sending their tanks to the Soviets for testing is kinda adorable and a shame.

Too bad aliens didn't invade us at around 1946 to restore what was clearly the bestest battle buddy friendship of history.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's also not forget that the Soviets made a legit loving laser pistol. It was only useful for blinding spacecraft optics, but laser pistol!!!

There was a cool article posted in the spaceflight thread about ground-based Soviet anti-satellite lasers. I can't find it again, but to summarize a lot of information has come out in the last couple decades about the long running clandestine Cold War contest. The lasers were primarily targeted against U.S. surveillance satellites, especially the highly secret corona series. Although too weak to actually destroy a satellite, the lasers were targeted at the sensitive on board optical equipment used to capture imagery. While most of the information on this subject comes to us from anonymous sources or is very vague, it is likely the Soviets successfully disabled at least one U.S. spy satellite. It's likely modern imaging systems are much less vulnerable, as some government sources have suggested modern systems are better "hardened" against lasers and have better counter measures. Still there are lots of very secret ways to gently caress with satellites.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

but did they take a .50 cal? checkmate atheists

Atheists took arms to the space in case they needed to fight the God. (Actually in case the capitalists would use their new fangled Space Shuttle to steal the fruit of the proletariat's toil, as the Salyut would nicely fit in the shuttle's cargo space.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salyut_3#On-board_gun

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MrYenko posted:

It’s the sexy offspring of a shotgun and a rifle, you mean.

The heritage of that mutt is way more complicated, as it was also a flare gun (probably of more practical use in an emergency) and its stock could be used as a machete to cut your path through the impenetrable jungles of Siberia.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/10/13/tp-82-russian-space-pistol-shotgun-carbine-flare-gun-no-longer-being-carried-into-space/

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Soviet-American cooperation during WWII kinda makes me sad that geopolitics made it cease; the Americans sending their tanks to the Soviets for testing is kinda adorable and a shame.

Too bad aliens didn't invade us at around 1946 to restore what was clearly the bestest battle buddy friendship of history.

Yeah too bad we didn't stay friends with these awesome dudes

quote:

Blokhin's most infamous act was the April 1940 execution by shooting of about 7,000 Polish prisoners interned in the Ostashkov prisoner of war camp in the Katyn forest. The majority were military and police officers who had been captured following the Soviet invasion of Poland in 1939.

Blokhin initially decided on an ambitious quota of 300 executions per night; and engineered an efficient system in which the prisoners were individually led to a small antechamber—which had been painted red and was known as the "Leninist room"—for a brief and cursory positive identification, before being handcuffed and led into the execution room next door. The room was specially designed with padded walls for soundproofing, a sloping concrete floor with a drain and hose, and a log wall for the prisoners to stand against. Blokhin would stand waiting behind the door in his executioner garb: a leather butcher's apron, leather hat, and shoulder-length leather gloves. Then, without a hearing, the reading of a sentence or any other formalities, each prisoner was brought in and restrained by guards while Blokhin shot him once in the base of the skull with a German Walther Model 2 .25 ACP pistol.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OctaviusBeaver posted:

On the bright side, that's one hell of a work ethic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fly Molo posted:

On the bright side, that's one hell of a work ethic.

Yeah, go big or go to the gulag I always say

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The US just outsourced their mass murder abroad, like any good capitalists

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

How do we count the Philippines in this case? I know in the cold war most of our atrocities were committed by our proxies (the Duvalier and Somoza families come to mind) but we were pretty deep into commiting war crimes on Filipinos like it was going out of style.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If there is one thing that always brightens up the milhist thread it's "who was worse USA or USSR" (btw the answer is "the nazis were worse")

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

MikeCrotch posted:

Too bad we didn't outsource it to communists because then it would have been like a fun buddy cop movie instead of just vanilla mass murderer.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Too bad we didn't outsource it to communists because then it would have been like a fun buddy cop movie instead of just vanilla mass murderer.

Tbf you got a lot of your own murdering done in the 18th and 19th centuries, against people nobody cared about. No need to outsource

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Man assuming a 12 hour shift that’s a killing every two and a half minutes.

Probably shorter shift which makes it even more :stare:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man assuming a 12 hour shift that’s a killing every two and a half minutes.

Probably shorter shift which makes it even more :stare:

The Good Guys of WW2

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The Good Guys of WW2

The soviets did a lot of horrifically hosed up stuff under Stalin, full stop. poo poo that constitutes war crimes, crimes against humanity, etc. None of that should be minimized or swept under the rug.

Even so, when fighting against a genocidal regime that systematically kills millions in the name of racial purity, yes, they come out as the good guys.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cyrano4747 posted:

The soviets did a lot of horrifically hosed up stuff under Stalin, full stop. poo poo that constitutes war crimes, crimes against humanity, etc. None of that should be minimized or swept under the rug.

Even so, when fighting against a genocidal regime that systematically kills millions in the name of racial purity, yes, they come out as the good guys.

They didn't intentionally fight against the genocidal regime though. They allied with them, joined them in invading Poland and sent them vast amounts of oil, wheat and other raw materials. The only reason they ever fought a single Nazi is that they were attacked first and had absolutely no other choice but to defend themselves.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The thing about the Nazis is that they were evil, and basically everyone knows they are evil and can openly talk about it. Holocaust deniers exist but they are (rightfully) dismissed by mainstream discussion. In this thread we have talked about Nazi atrocities and everyone here agrees they are bad and nobody uses "whataboutism" to talk about Mongol mass killings or whatever. But when Soviet atrocities are discussed they are dismissed, joked about or deflected with "Yeah but what about the Nazis". A few posts up somebody responded to a detailed description of thousands of people being executed with "Gotta admire that work ethic lol". I can't picture someone having a reaction like that to a description of Auschwitz without being called out on it in this thread. I don't think any other country gets that much of a free pass. If someone says how horrible slavery in the US was you don't get 5 other people crawling out of the woodwork to say "Yeah but serfdom still existed in Russia and there were MORE serfs than slaves" because that would be stupid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I think he went through most of the .25 ACP ammo they had in the Soviet military. Do you think executions had to be delayed so they could get more boxes?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

They didn't intentionally fight against the genocidal regime though. They allied with them, joined them in invading Poland and sent them vast amounts of oil, wheat and other raw materials. The only reason they ever fought a single Nazi is that they were attacked first and had absolutely no other choice but to defend themselves.
Haha, that's a pretty bs analysis of their motivations before WW2. They tried to ally against Hitler, both with France and Britain, and were refused. You do realise the Germany-Japanese-Italian alliance was called the anti-comintern pact?
Mind, all those countries invaded the Soviet Union in it's earliest stages, so that shows the desperation that Stalin and the Politburo had in trying to take down Hitler. They also sent vast amounts of raw materials to the United States, in exchange for technical know-how, because Stalin was paranoid about the capitalist countries trying to overthrow the Soviet Union (is it paranoid if you turn up being right?) and wanted to industrialise and build up a strong army to defend against that.
PS: they invaded Poland after the government had abandoned the country, which put the border west and meant that Germany had to go further to Moscow when they invaded.
I'm not saying Stalin did nothing wrong, but I'm not sure about taking Nazi Germany's propaganda as completely true is the best option either.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Let's talk about something else.

(Let me just say trying to connect Katyn to the development of the Cold War is dubious to say the least, and any 'analysis' along of the lines of 'look at this atrocity! These guys are evil!' is kinda um. Also debatably pretty much nobody ~intentionally~ fought the nazis, everyone was either forced to uphold an alliance or got war declared on them. It's part of why the nazis were the bad guys)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 24, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is going places we've been to before and it's never ended well.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Fangz posted:

Let's talk about something else.

(Let me just say trying to connect Katyn to the development of the Cold War is dubious to say the least, and any 'analysis' along of the lines of 'look at this atrocity! These guys are evil!' is kinda um. Also debatably pretty much nobody ~intentionally~ fought the nazis, everyone was either forced to uphold an alliance or got war declared on them. It's part of why the nazis were the bad guys)

The British had no obligation to defend Poland until they intentionally guaranteed their western border in the face of Nazi aggression. It's arguable whether it was an alliance because it was a one-way obligation. That's pretty different from signing a pact with the Nazis to split up Poland after you invade.

If the Nazis are the bad guys for invading people then wouldn't it make the Soviets also the bad buys for invading Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland?

Also lol at the "nobody else talk about this, now listen to me talk about it".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Stop talking about bad guys. I was trying to find a diplomatic way of saying "you are sounding like a complete moron" and I don't want another 4 pages of people arguing with you about it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 24, 2018

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure what productive purpose is served by deliberately being contrarian in order to grind a particular ideological axe.

Relations between the West and the USSR broke down primarily due to the iron curtain and associated diplomatic conflicts regarding Berlin and the occupation zones; Soviet pre-war atrocities and being an authoritarian form of government and being communist, none of these things factually speaking necessitated* the cold war, Soviet actions (for various reasons of varying levels of justification and rationalization) are what prompted it; which, short of that, it's possible the cold war needn't have happened which I think would've resulted in a vastly better world than what we have been through.

*The Soviets being well, the Soviets, didn't stop the US from allowing GM, Chrysler, and others from setting up shop in the Soviet Union; and there were some high ranking officials that would've been interested in US aid and the Marshall Plan if it didn't come with whatever conditions they balked at.

I think Soviet-US cooperation was interesting and resulted in legitimately cool things, I think it isn't unreasonable to be melancholic at what could have been, such as the Space race being a cooperative venture instead of a short sighted competition; and the United Nations Military Staff Committee actually being fully realized in its intended role.

edit: Sorry Fang didn't see your post. :(

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I finally got around to reading one of my christmas presents, a big old book about the invasion and occupation of Denmark during WW2. It is about 1000 pages and aims to cover just about everything that went on for both military, civilian, politicians and businessmen during the Nazi occupation.

For a while Denmark was used a sort of rest and recovery area for German divisions coming from the Eastern Front and as that war in Russia went on, the composition of troops in Denmark ended up being pretty much a mix of completely fresh recruits and WW1 veterans, all of which were judged as being unfit for actual combat areas. There was even statements from locals mentioning how the German soldiers in their area were all very nice elderly WW1 veterans and they never caused any problems.

Towards the end of 1943 however, the Oberkommando started shifting even the recruits and old men to the East front and instead (and against the wishes of the local commander in Denmark who felt that they couldn't be trusted) started stationing Eastern European divisions in Denmark. It was mainly Russians, but also Hungarians, Ukrainians, Italians, Georgians, Azerbaijani and groups from the Caucasus and Baltic areas.
The funniest one was a Cossack regiment of 800 men and 400 horses being stationed in a forest in the middle of Jutland.

Apparently the Germans figured that that all these non-German soldiers were good enough to man the various cannons on the newly constructed Atlantic Wall (mainly built so they wouldn't need so many German troops in the country) but not good enough to fight in Russia.
Rather amusingly, the locals all assumed that the Hungarians were there against their well and as such sympathised with them and even tried to help them. And of course, some of the Russian elements got involved with resistance groups later on, presumably because the Danish communists were very involved in the active (violent) resistance on account of them being outlawed by the Germans.

From all accounts, the Germans loved being stationed in Denmark though. They were far away from the eastern front in a peaceful country and they were allowed to buy up food and goods to send back home to their families.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Ardent Communist posted:

PS: they invaded Poland after the government had abandoned the country, which put the border west and meant that Germany had to go further to Moscow when they invaded.

The rest of your post is a point of contention among historians and I don't want to stir up that particular hornet's nest, but this claim is patently and objectively untrue: the government left the country because of the Soviet invasion, not before it.

EDIT: and moreover the government leaving by no means allows or justifies Soviets moving in, particularly considering that the government was leaving explicitly to reconstitute in the West and continue the fight.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 24, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ardent Communist posted:

Poland never helped murder jews because the Government left before the atrocities were committed! :godwin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ardent Communist posted:

This is really loving dumb. Then again... your username.